Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Sam Byram

Deserves a thread of his own after that performance.

What a defender he is. Remains to be seen what he's like getting forward, but can't remember when we've had a right back who can defend like that. He played like the right sided Adam Drury. 

I perceived him as a backup player who was going to sit around waiting for Aarons to get injured or suspended, and was a little afraid that after his injury problems we'd just signed another James Husband, but there looks to be merit in actually selecting him for certain types of games.

On that showing he looked very much good enough for this level. Really hope his injury problems are behind him, what a superb option he is! 

• Like 1

I thought he read everything Sterling tried magnificently. Disciplined and committed throughout. If he can stay fit, another potential gold star signing 

I think it's kudos to Webber and the scouting team to have brought in Byram and Amadou this summer. Immense performances from both of them.

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

and hes further proof that Farke etc can find players who have 'lost their way a bit' and build them up again

after today I cannot see any complaints had he had been one of our previous £8m signings, but it appears he cost less (?)  than a million which suggests that when we do lose Aarons, Lewis and Gordon will we have replacements already in place

750k he cost... When in today's market 25m gets you a good championship defender - that is an absolute steal.

Said in another thread, he was my motm today and Max will have to work very hard to get the spot back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

750k he cost... When in today's market 25m gets you a good championship defender - that is an absolute steal.

Said in another thread, he was my motm today and Max will have to work very hard to get the spot back.

Absolutely, crazy to think we got him for so little in the current world of transfers 👍🏼

Yes he was excellent.

Aarons has struggled a little bit this season, defensively in particular, so it was great to see we’ve got someone who can come in/shore up the defence if needed. Will be interested to see him in the next couple of weeks where he will have more licence to get forward, as that outlet is so often very important for us.

Lewis as well deserves a shout out - I’m perhaps guilty of forgetting about him a bit because of Aarons’ breakthrough. But he was also excellent defensively and especially good playing out under pressure as well. And still only 21. 

Edited by Aggy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

Buendia man of the match for me, he was here there and every f'in where. 

Gives us different options which is terrific, with Emi playing in front then there is an argument for Sam being our first choice against some of the better teams.

1 minute ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Absolutely, crazy to think we got him for so little in the current world of transfers 👍🏼

One of the nptable aspects of PL signings appears to be the need for players to hit the ground running where we have been signing players who 'need a bit of work' so to speak. The likes of Brady may well be the finished product and others have already shown they can step up further in the  PL, whereas we have signed players such as Leitner, Vrancic and Sir Benny who took a bit of time (coaching) to come good - much as we are now doing with Heiss and Dr Mick. All for relative peanuts when as you say compared to the the cost of other players.

Lewis remains as solid as he was when he first came into the team. An overlooked player (as said) but one who has a good body strength and is able to use it well. Something you don't always see in younger players.

Are backs are against the wall with an obscene amount of injuries, but Byram’s and Amadou’s performances today showed us Farke and Webber are no flukes when signing players. Neither of those 2 are back up players, and even though Amadou was not playing in his favoured position, those twos performances today suggest to me that their positions are now there’s to lose. I’m pretty confident Farke will select them both next week even if Hanley and Aaron’s are both available.

Back’s against the wall, but my god have we got a great squad. It’s mouthwatering to think in January we could have Amadou playing in front of Zimbo, Godfrey and Krul, coupled with what I consider a pretty world class forward line (and yes, I mean that). We’ve now scored 6 goals against 3 of the leagues creme de la creme. If we can get over our injury jinx we could still finish surprisingly high in the league this season. We must not be complacent against Burnley now, let’s push on and get to 40 points as quickly as possible.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

We must not be complacent against Burnley now, let’s push on and get to 40 points as quickly as possible.

Wow, love the positivity Alex. 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, splendidrush said:

Wow, love the positivity Alex. 👍

Grammatically, my post was awful haha. Must be the Cretan sunshine that did it!

The magnitude of last nights win is starting to sink in now, I like to think I’m very positive towards our team but hand on heart I just didn’t expect that - Man City so rarely lose, it just doesn’t seem to make sense that we would do this right in the thick of our worst injury crisis in I don’t know how many years?!

1 minute ago, splendidrush said:

Welcome Buh, good to have you on board 👍

Cheers buh

i used to post on here back in the day when it was barely useable. I figured after yesterday I should pop back in and see what everyone had to say!

We're all on our best behavior, as it's Sunday, a stunning victory yesterday, polished shoes and ready for church 

..... tomorrow, we'll be back to normal 🤬

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

We're all on our best behavior, as it's Sunday, a stunning victory yesterday, polished shoes and ready for church 

..... tomorrow, we'll be back to normal 🤬

From memory, buh won't have any problems fitting in!

Just now, Fuzzar said:

From memory, buh won't have any problems fitting in!

I’ve been studying the teachings of Buddhism in my absence

i am now a peacemaker, go with peace brother.

namaste 

30 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Cheers buh

i used to post on here back in the day when it was barely useable. I figured after yesterday I should pop back in and see what everyone had to say!

You weren't the account name "buh" were you? He was a real Cambridge University Netball Teamer.