Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×

Recommended Posts

Still waiting for Tom Cavendish to come on and tell us about the new stadium in the LGBT triangle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

There appears, even from this total non representative board, to be a divide between season ticket holders and those that do not have one.

Season tickets holders say "dont bother, we'll probably not fill it after a couple of years so its money down the drain, and anyway I dont need more than one seat"

Non holders say "I wish I could go to see the top games with my family".

Club probably has to decide which group it wants to please most.

 I dont see this as an economic question.  Construction costs are not a big proportion of the income well get over a 5-10 year period, even if we fall back into the second tier. 

Expansion means more  credibility, more attraction to potential players, increased prestige and better accessibility. Non expansion means we can afford Naismith.

Well I don't see that tbh and it's a warped view of ST holders.

What I see are supporters who want increased capacity when the sun is out but the option of withdrawing support when it clouds over again. In the lifetime of any new stand there would be more cloud than sunshine. If we commit to a new stand would those who want it commit to filling it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Well I don't see that tbh and it's a warped view of ST holders.

What I see are supporters who want increased capacity when the sun is out but the option of withdrawing support when it clouds over again. In the lifetime of any new stand there would be more cloud than sunshine. If we commit to a new stand would those who want it commit to filling it?

 

If it was logically or economically feasible it would have been built by now.

It all goes back to the board taking the cautious option when rebuilding after the main stand fire. In hindsight it was the wrong decision but there ya go, it is what it is.

We would all like to see another three or four thousand on the capacity and it isn't a case of season ticket holders saying fcuk you, it's just economic reality.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Still waiting for Tom Cavendish to come on and tell us about the new stadium in the LGBT triangle.

It's LGBTQ+ , nowadays Ricardo (o) do please try to keep up .😁

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have the highest proportion of season ticket holders to ground size than any other club. For members it's a free for all scramble, then the odd seat goes on general sale to anyone. It's clear we need a bigger ground. The reason I started supporting Norwich was whilst a school I found a friend who was going and tagged along with him one match, after that I was hooked. This could never happen today and the crowd are getting older and older.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

It's LGBTQ+ , nowadays Ricardo (o) do please try to keep up .😁

 

I got lost after Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ricardo said:

I got lost after Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato.

I think kinky food lovers are covered in the + part of the moniker, it was added to cover any other varieties of persuasion.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Leicester have averaged around 32,000 since promotion last. In the Championship their attendances were below ours every season in the last decade plus .

They have wealthy owners who can invest their own money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As you have come back to this thread wcorkcanary you don't want to answer my question then ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

We have the highest proportion of season ticket holders to ground size than any other club. For members it's a free for all scramble, then the odd seat goes on general sale to anyone. It's clear we need a bigger ground. The reason I started supporting Norwich was whilst a school I found a friend who was going and tagged along with him one match, after that I was hooked. This could never happen today and the crowd are getting older and older.  

Spot on.

When I started going many, many years ago, we could all go as a group and rock up and in we went, apart from the big games when we had to go in the away part of the Barclay and ask to be allowed through :classic_biggrin:.

Whilst I would not wish to see parts empty and do understand the supply and demand aspects here, our support is getting older (including me) and younger ones are needed. We should as a club look to do the modern equivalent of the kids of a quid with the expansion plans or target the extra season ticket holders whilst the going is good.

I suspect in all honesty it will be a long wait.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

As you have come back to this thread wcorkcanary you don't want to answer my question then ?

Yeah , sorry about that Tillo, was a bit busy with real life, i also was wondering when you were going to answer MY questions ref what exactly Billy Bragg had done, whether he was charged and what with..and what penalty he received . Oh, and as far as having a 'sly dig' at you, i wasnt, just a little gentle leg pulling is all.

PS dont take yourself so seriously....nobody else does 😜.

PPS you don't happen to know what time the 1703 from Ely gets in to Norwich do you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, East Rider said:

Spot on.

When I started going many, many years ago, we could all go as a group and rock up and in we went, apart from the big games when we had to go in the away part of the Barclay and ask to be allowed through :classic_biggrin:.

Whilst I would not wish to see parts empty and do understand the supply and demand aspects here, our support is getting older (including me) and younger ones are needed. We should as a club look to do the modern equivalent of the kids of a quid with the expansion plans or target the extra season ticket holders whilst the going is good.

I suspect in all honesty it will be a long wait.

 

More than a long wait. I'd say never. All seater stadiums, changes in expectations of facilities and interest free DD season tickets have put a stop to that.

Back when I first went there'd be a gate of 42,000 one week and 11,000 the next. There was virtually no investment in facilities for the first 15 years I went. The only people who had STs were those in the main stand. Yes you could rock up whenever you liked and have a choice of places to stand. But who would put up with that now?

We demamd different standards whether that be perfectly heated sausage rolls or sanitary products in the ladies toilets. Football clubs have to invest in facilities and couldn't afford to have unsold seats for the majority of the games.

I'm not convinced there is a demand for a bigger stadium. The test would be the cup games. When we played Chelsea in 2018 we couldn't fill the stadium even though tickets were £15 and £5 for kids.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Yeah , sorry about that Tillo, was a bit busy with real life, i also was wondering when you were going to answer MY questions ref what exactly Billy Bragg had done, whether he was charged and what with..and what penalty he received . Oh, and as far as having a 'sly dig' at you, i wasnt, just a little gentle leg pulling is all.

PS dont take yourself so seriously....nobody else does 😜.

PPS you don't happen to know what time the 1703 from Ely gets in to Norwich do you?

Best you ask someone who was or is connected to the railways as it appears you don't know the British Transport Police from the Norfolk Constabulary.

As for Billy Bragg it was Criminal damage to Ministry of Defence property. No idea what happened to him once he was in the court system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

As for Billy Bragg it was Criminal damage to Ministry of Defence property. No idea what happened to him once he was in the court system.

OK, thanks, can't understand why you couldnt tell me that at the time but hey ho. I would have definitely wanted to know what happened to my 'Collars'....especially someone as dangerous as Billy Bragg.

7 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Best you ask someone who was or is connected to the railways as it appears you don't know the British Transport Police from the Norfolk Constabulary.

I refer you to my first PS........

 

13 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

PS dont take yourself so seriously....nobody else does 😜.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why the mention of Wroxham and North Walsham railway stations and in another post fare dodging ? Totally lost on me even if you claim it was lighthearted. How am i connected in any way to any of that ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Why the mention of Wroxham and North Walsham railway stations and in another post fare dodging ? Totally lost on me even if you claim it was lighthearted. How am i connected in any way to any of that ?

 

You fare dodge on the bus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Duncan Edwards said:

 

You fare dodge on the bus

Only called fare dodging if you have to pay Dunc and i don't have to pay. 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Why the mention of Wroxham and North Walsham railway stations and in another post fare dodging ? Totally lost on me even if you claim it was lighthearted. How am i connected in any way to any of that ?

Has he rather cryptically uncovered you as a secret Train spotter Tilly. And you're just in denial, trying to throw him off the scent?🤔

Does the Trans Siberian Express pass through either of those stations? 🚂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

Neck-wringing for Vince. 

I want to like this, but Jo Brand...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

....Football clubs have to invest in facilities and couldn't afford to have unsold seats for the majority of the games...

 

 

 

 

Is that true? If you ignore the “big six” how many teams get their grounds as full as ours on a regular basis?

 

I heard of one club in, I think it might be Suffolk, who can’t half-fill their ground, although apparently they are a very poor example of how to run a football team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there are many who want us to have a bigger ground so that they have an alternative when they get NCFC in Top Trumps.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Is that true? If you ignore the “big six” how many teams get their grounds as full as ours on a regular basis?

 

They don't but they didn't increase capacity in order to have seats empty. Some of those clubs shut whole sections to reduce match day costs.

I'd love to be in a stadium full of 35,000 or even 32,000 but I'm not convinced there is a demand. OK for half a dozen games in.a PL season but the stand won't suddenly have a relegation clause like players contracts.

When I ran Bayer Club for all those years I soon realised that it was folly to run the business on the strength of what people said they would do. Talk is cheap. Much better to make decisions based on what people actually do. So forget the chatter right now while the sun is out and look at the evidence of seasons past.

2017 FA Cup v Southampton. There was outrage because the tickets were priced at £25 for adults £10 for U18s and £5 for u12s. Attendance 12,000

2018 FA Cup v Chelsea. Lesson learnt and prices dropped to £15 adults £5 U18s. Attendance 23,000.

2019 FA Cup v Portsmouth. Prices £10 adults £5 U21 and kids for a quid. Attendance 23,000.

So looking at what folk actually did shows that it was all about price. And yet those Southampton tkts that were too expensive were much cheaper than seats in a new stand would be.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over 23,000 for the third round of a faded, jaded competition we had no chance of winning, against a third tier team, after a busy festive period, where season ticket holders had to pay.

And that is a sign that we wont get regularly make use of an expansion? 

Maybe it would not get filled more than 50% of the time but why is that the benchmark?    Who says it would only work of we fill it? Is half full not something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's fair enough Barbe. It's all opinions. Just out of intetest how many more tickets would you actually buy if the stadium was bigger?

I was at all those games. Portsmouth was sold through price. I could take all ten grandkids for a tenner. It was full of families and lovely to see. The Southampton game was totally different. A much more "attractive" game but would have cost me £75 to take the grandkids. I reckon we'd sell out a bigger stadium most weeks if tickets were a tenner and kids for a quid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apart from some exceptions the better supported clubs by attendance are more successful in the long term. It really beggars belief that the debate is around 31 - 35000. We should plan for and budget for the biggest capacity we can afford.

Yes we may not fill it every week or every year but to have the capacity opens up lots of options for commercial and multiple use- concerts etc.There are also other  funding options which can be explored eg. A new share option/ A loan investment/Corporate sponsorship/Retail outlets. 

Unless we think like a big club we will never be one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×