Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

38 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

That's a bit out of left-field isn't it?

I've hardly seen McLean in action, but Bethnal makes the point that to play there you need a good first touch, which Tettey does not have. If McLean has that, and has enough of a combination of physical and mental toughness, and tactical nous, to play in that role, which must be very demanding, then he could be the answer. It is not as if we are short of midfielders a bit further forward and absolutely need him there.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I've hardly seen McLean in action, but Bethnal makes the point that to play there you need a good first touch, which Tettey does not have. If McLean has that, and has enough of a combination of physical and mental toughness, and tactical nous, to play in that role, which must be very demanding, then he could be the answer. It is not as if we are short of midfielders a bit further forward and absolutely need him there.

McLean comes out one of the highest for defensive numbers for last season. Third highest number of tackles and fifth for interceptions. 

Trybull was second for tackles and highest for interceptions. 

Personally don't see McLean in that role.

Last season when he was sitting alongside trybull he did not quite know where to be in the midfield at times.

If he is told that will be his role, maybe. But can't see it myself and think it would be the wrong decision.

9 minutes ago, smooth said:

Personally don't see McLean in that role.

Last season when he was sitting alongside trybull he did not quite know where to be in the midfield at times.

If he is told that will be his role, maybe. But can't see it myself and think it would be the wrong decision.

He played there quite a lot for Aberdeen, so it isn’t a role he is unaccustomed to. 

Having McLean as the main defensive midfielder in a Premier League team isn't something I'd be comfortable with. He can play a deeper role alongside a more defensive player, like Trybull last season, but I wouldn't like to use him as the actual 'Trybull' player.

As for the numbers posted by Bethnal... Are those stats particularly out of the ordinary for a player in his position? I'd imagine that Leitner and Vrancic, plus the vast majority of 'CMs' in other teams would rank quite high for tackles and interceptions because that's arguably the position where you're going to do those things as standard. It's like a winger with crosses or a centre back with headers.

Does Mclean have the discipline required to play in the defensive mid field role, I don’t know but would suspect he would find it difficult.

Getring more concerned about the position with the disappointing report on AT injury, may need an operation, and poor old Louis, who I so want to do well, who we really can’t rely on atm.

Hope we get someone in!

8 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Does Mclean have the discipline required to play in the defensive mid field role, I don’t know but would suspect he would find it difficult.

Getring more concerned about the position with the disappointing report on AT injury, may need an operation, and poor old Louis, who I so want to do well, who we really can’t rely on atm.

Hope we get someone in!

It’s a position that I think we all know needs some added competition (though personally I think it’s Trybull’s spot to lose), but I guess the key point of course is whether Farke and Webber also feel the same, it’s maybe that they feel we already have enough players capable of playing there? Window closes a week Thursday (I think), am confident we’ll see another face or 2 come in.

I see the papers have said Bielik is leaving with a number of Championship clubs chasing him, surely he’s too good for a step down?

could signing Bielik allow Godfrey the chance to go into a holding midfield role?

7 minutes ago, Indy said:

I see the papers have said Bielik is leaving with a number of Championship clubs chasing him, surely he’s too good for a step down?

could signing Bielik allow Godfrey the chance to go into a holding midfield role?

I wish people would stop with the Godfrey in CM angle. Surely, if DF/SW were considering it as an option, they would have tried it by now, unless they do it in the next 2 games it isn't going to happen. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Indy said:

Think Bielik can play CDM too (?) so can still keep Godfrey at CB. 

If Tettey is injured, not sure who would cover for Trybull tbh.  Whoever it is, it wouldn't be ideal and do we really want to run the risk of experimenting in the PL?

I think we need a couple of players, but If it is only to be 1 more player, we need to make sure that player is a defensive midfielder.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Hope we get someone in!

In suggesting McLean a few days ago that was the caveat I raised. Does he have the tactical nous, and I don't know the answer. But I doubt Tettey's potential absence changes anything. I assume we were looking for an extra player in that position anyway.

Yes 

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

In suggesting McLean a few days ago that was the caveat I raised. Does he have the tactical nous, and I don't know the answer. But I doubt Tettey's potential absence changes anything. I assume we were looking for an extra player in that position anyway.

Would be disappointed if we are not looking.

Its more than just tactical nous in that position, it’s the self discipline to keep in position and accepting that you are not going to be doing much of the eye catching stuff, often being the unsung hero. I suspect McLeans ego might be too strong for the position, and that’s not a criticism, but it does take a particular type of character to play there.

More than disappointed, I’d be astounded. There’s a pretty obvious gap that needs filling, I can’t believe SW/DF aren’t going to (at least try to) do anything.

Still plenty of time in the window to get more bodies in.

offensively we look really good but would like to see another CB and DM or 2 to come to in.

the hard work is done just a few small tweaks and we are ready for the new season

in Webber we believe 

7 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Yes 

Would be disappointed if we are not looking.

Its more than just tactical nous in that position, it’s the self discipline to keep in position and accepting that you are not going to be doing much of the eye catching stuff, often being the unsung hero. I suspect McLeans ego might be too strong for the position, and that’s not a criticism, but it does take a particular type of character to play there.

I was including self-discipline in the overall idea of tactical nous.

As Bethnal mentioned McLean did play in the more defensive midfield role for the dons, when madders was there on loan.

However my point was that he offers a bit more further forward and actually when paired with Trybull on our run it was Trybull who sat deeper collecting the ball from our back 2.

So for me, as we are now in the premier League, I think McLean would offer more in a slightly more advanced midfield position than competing with Trybull.

It will be an interesting week with transfers, it feels if Srbeny has shown enough to be involved in first team squads and may not leave the club on loan. Therefore we may not be looking for an improvement in the number 10 position, TC can compete for that back up role too.

So hoping that the club does have 1-2 in the offering and one is the CDM.

I had head that Norwich are looking at Aleix Garcia from Man City. He has one year left on his deal there and is now over the threshold for being an under 21 year old for their 25 man squad - he also isn't homegrown. This means Man City have to make a decision on him. 

He was at loan at Girona last season with Patrick Roberts and did pretty well by all accounts. He used to be a 10 but has converted to a defensive midfielder, but much more in the Trybull style than the Tettey one. 

Garcia was required by Man City on their Asia tour as Fernandinho was still recovering from the Copa America, but now they are back in the UK they are going to make a decision about his future. 

I understand that Norwich have spoken to the player's agent about whether he would be interested in a move there - but haven't heard whether that is an option the player would be willing to look into. 

• Like 1

That would make sense Bethnal. I think with Tettey injured this is a spot we can't afford not to try and fill.

Looks to me like Trybull is nailed on to start the season in that role and actually playing Mclean and Trybull together on Saturday worked well (I had previously though Leitner and Trybull nailed on as the starting duo but perhaps not clear cut) but whilst I do like Trybull when he's on form I do think we lack a bit of athleticism in that part of the pitch which may be exploited in the premier league by some of the more pacey teams. Trybull reads the game very well but when teams beat the press or he doesn't read it right he lacks a bit of pace/athleticism  to cover that area by himself (in perhaps the way Tettey used to be able to) or to get back at players once they are past him. 

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

That would make sense Bethnal. I think with Tettey injured this is a spot we can't afford not to try and fill.

Looks to me like Trybull is nailed on to start the season in that role and actually playing Mclean and Trybull together on Saturday worked well (I had previously though Leitner and Trybull nailed on as the starting duo but perhaps not clear cut) but whilst I do like Trybull when he's on form I do think we lack a bit of athleticism in that part of the pitch which may be exploited in the premier league by some of the more pacey teams. Trybull reads the game very well but when teams beat the press or he doesn't read it right he lacks a bit of pace/athleticism  to cover that area by himself (in perhaps the way Tettey used to be able to) or to get back at players once they are past him. 

I think Norwich are trying to apply a bit of the Liverpool midset to transfers - which is to identify who is needed and then push for that player and if they can't get the one they want, to wait rather than spending money on a second choice target.

Norwich have a lot of central midfielders and McLean and Vrancic could probably both do a pretty decent job as the more 'defensive' midfielder. 

There is a little struggle for Norwich that with the European market closing a month after the domestic one, teams in Germany etc aren't as close to finalising their squads as they are in England and thus players who Norwich might be interested in haven't become available yet. Things here will inevitably 'heat up' over the next 2 weeks and players who weren't available suddenly will be, Aleix Garcia being a prime example of a player Man City wouldn't have let go a couple of weeks ago, but might be minded to now.

Just thrown in Danny Drinkwater on another thread.    Seems of good personality, has proved himself, has experience.    Is surplus at Chelsea and can leave!   Worth an enquiry???  

15 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I think Norwich are trying to apply a bit of the Liverpool midset to transfers - which is to identify who is needed and then push for that player and if they can't get the one they want, to wait rather than spending money on a second choice target.

Norwich have a lot of central midfielders and McLean and Vrancic could probably both do a pretty decent job as the more 'defensive' midfielder. 

There is a little struggle for Norwich that with the European market closing a month after the domestic one, teams in Germany etc aren't as close to finalising their squads as they are in England and thus players who Norwich might be interested in haven't become available yet. Things here will inevitably 'heat up' over the next 2 weeks and players who weren't available suddenly will be, Aleix Garcia being a prime example of a player Man City wouldn't have let go a couple of weeks ago, but might be minded to now.

Is he an athletic type of player though Bethnal? The reports I've read of his time at Girona seem to suggest he's technically good, a decent passer and someone who reads the game well but struggles a bit with the more physical side of the game and with stamina?

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Is he an athletic type of player though Bethnal? The reports I've read of his time at Girona seem to suggest he's technically good, a decent passer and someone who reads the game well but struggles a bit with the more physical side of the game and with stamina?

No, as I said in my first post, he is a Trybull style defensive midfielder, so helps control possession and moves the ball well, but isn't going to tear around the midfield and put in crunching tackles. 

I think Norwich prioritise the technical ability of midfielders over their physicality - getting a player who can do both is a very, very expensive thing and probably beyond Norwich's means right now. 

4 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Just thrown in Danny Drinkwater on another thread.    Seems of good personality, has proved himself, has experience.    Is surplus at Chelsea and can leave!   Worth an enquiry???  

He'll be well beyond Norwich's means. 

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He'll be well beyond Norwich's means

Maybe, but still worth an enquiry....  quality player and like us with Oliviera, Chelsea want rid!    DF could kick start his career again.    Stranger things have happened...... for the right deal, would you entertain him?    

7 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Maybe, but still worth an enquiry....  quality player and like us with Oliviera, Chelsea want rid!    DF could kick start his career again.    Stranger things have happened...... for the right deal, would you entertain him?    

I haven't seen him play for ages so can't really comment on whether he is good enough. Certainly not someone I'd like the club to sign (not that I think that is possible), a loan could be good, but think another team would jump in ahead of Norwich if a reasonable looked possible.