Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

23 hours ago, BigFish said:

@PurpleCanary, you seem to take personal umbrage when age/generation is raised in this debate, where no personal offence is intended. It is undoubtably true that the boomers had a number of favourable factors supporting their lifestyles if they worked hard, were lucky or cleaver to pick the right profession and economic sector to make their way. It is also true that the two major indicators for voting preference are now age and education (or lack thereof). Those former factors have now unwound so a retired ex-miner living in a "left behind" Red Wall seat is now wealthier than a hard working graduate in the "establishment" South East.

BF, I should have plastered my post with sunny emojis! No personal umbrage. I am quite aware of my generation's vices and virtues.

You can keep your head in the Sand and yell "na nana a nah nah" as much as you like... 

Here is the reality of Brexit : 

Brexit 1.jpg

Brexit 2..jpg

Brexit 3..jpg

• Confused 1

On 12/02/2022 at 22:31, BigFish said:

@PurpleCanary, you seem to take personal umbrage when age/generation is raised in this debate, where no personal offence is intended. It is undoubtably true that the boomers had a number of favourable factors supporting their lifestyles if they worked hard, were lucky or cleaver to pick the right profession and economic sector to make their way. It is also true that the two major indicators for voting preference are now age and education (or lack thereof). Those former factors have now unwound so a retired ex-miner living in a "left behind" Red Wall seat is now wealthier than a hard working graduate in the "establishment" South East.

Seriously, BF, is that last sentence true? If it is, and I trust your facts, then wouldn't you say that it is worth a little cheer that a working-class person having spent a life time working in a dangerous, life-threatening job can actually end up wealthier than a middle-class youngster (who has made a poor choice in loading themselves up in debt for a poorly paid career)?

As an aside, I would think that a young person today who worked hard, is lucky or clever to pick the right profession and economic sector is equally likely to make their way successfully through life. One thing I would not recommend a young person do now is to take a degree course that involves getting into staggering levels of debt.

11 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

BF, I should have plastered my post with sunny emojis! No personal umbrage. I am quite aware of my generation's vices and virtues.

⛱️⛱️ always thought that was the case @PurpleCanary, obviously I was being dopey

BURN THE WITCH

"Sir Keir Starmer has sparked outrage by saying the UK can take advantage of the “opportunities” of Brexit during a visit to the north east of England.

The Labour leader faced backlash after he used similarly positive language as senior Conservative Jacob Rees-Mogg, the new minister for Brexit opportunities.

Sir Keir also definitively ruled out the idea his party could campaign for Britain to re-join the EU in future – insisting that he wants to “make Brexit work”.

• Like 1

'Make Brexit Work' is another slogan like 'Brexit means Brexit' and 'Get Brexit Done'. 

The scope for interpretation is huge.

For example, we could make Brexit work by rejoining the Single Market and accept the supremecy of the ECJ.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

BURN THE WITCH

"Sir Keir Starmer has sparked outrage by saying the UK can take advantage of the “opportunities” of Brexit during a visit to the north east of England.

The Labour leader faced backlash after he used similarly positive language as senior Conservative Jacob Rees-Mogg, the new minister for Brexit opportunities.

Sir Keir also definitively ruled out the idea his party could campaign for Britain to re-join the EU in future – insisting that he wants to “make Brexit work”.

Why do you think I cancelled my membership when he became leader? I don't know about Boris and his levelling up but SKS is trying to level up his policies with the Tories. Then have a hung Parliament and the 23 Labour members left will agree to a coalition with SKS as Deputy.

He is meant to oppose, not agree. Or else we might as well give up.

New job title. SKS, Leader of the Opp . . . . (sorry) Agreement.

Edited by keelansgrandad

People won't get as much corruption, racism, incompetence, theft or greed from supporting him. So there's that.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

It's just to show all you lot who support the Labour Party that we will get nothing better by voting for him 

I have always voted conservative, why would I vote Labour ?. My beef is with Johnson etc who lied to get our vote. There are lots of people like me who would have voted remain had we realised what we were being told by Johnson and Farage were just lies.

Had I have realised it was really about their and people like you hating the French, Germans and any type of immigrant then that would have changed my vote then. Now I know the results of Brexit and how our country is now a laughing stock ( Truss in Russia ) I certainly think I did a disservice to the nation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Van wink said:

BURN THE WITCH

I think this is about right.

• Like 1

I think not having an out and out liar who's been sacked for lying will be much better than what we have now.

Not having a woman who slags people off on twitter and then complains that she's the victim as a cabinet minister will be better than what we have now. Dorries is a liability.

Not having Raab anywhere near government will be much better than we have now.

Not having Patel as Home Sec. will be much better than we have now, she was sacked for conducting private negotiations with a foreign government.

Liz Truss. (no more needs to be said).

JRM.

The ERG.

Etc.

Getting rid of all of the above will be much better.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

I have always voted conservative, why would I vote Labour ?. My beef is with Johnson etc who lied to get our vote. There are lots of people like me who would have voted remain had we realised what we were being told by Johnson and Farage were just lies.

Had I have realised it was really about their and people like you hating the French, Germans and any type of immigrant then that would have changed my vote then. Now I know the results of Brexit and how our country is now a laughing stock ( Truss in Russia ) I certainly think I did a disservice to the nation.

No mate, you instintively did the right thing. This lot on here like to pedal you with the myth that we always had sovereignty but I'm afraid it was just a myth. Once an external government has the power to make new laws over which you have no control and which you cannot veto then you are no longer sovereign. The only way we could exercise that sovereignty was by leaving.

• Haha 1

We exercised our sovereignty by having a referendum about leaving the EU. That's what a sovereign nation can do. The EU didn't stop us or try to stop us.

See Scotland for an example.

Edited by Herman
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

We exercised our sovereignty by having a referendum about leaving the EU. That's what a sovereign nation can do. The EU didn't stop us or try to stop us.

I knew that would bring the holdouts out of the jungle. Some of those Japanese soldiers stuck it out well into the 1970,s Herman, so a long way to go yet 😀😉

• Like 1

We see Ukraine wanting to join NATO and the EU. They know what true sovereignty is and what it isn't. They aren't fooled by silly arguments about joining a mutually beneficial and respectful club of like minded nations.

As to Brexit, after 5 or 6 years we have to have a minster to try and identify 'Brexit Opportunities'. It says it all really.

Opportunities For British Business Post-Brexit

1. New markets. By exiting the EU trading bloc, the UK will be free to strike its own trade deals with other non-EU countries.
  2. Less regulation. Eurosceptics have long decried the regulatory burden – or ‘red tape’ – imposed on businesses from the EU.
  3. Domestic trade. ...
  4. Workforce. ...
  5. Expertise and problem solving. ...

Jam tomorrow then eh Swindon?

Of course moving from roast beef to jam sandwiches is a bit of a letdown, but hey "Repatriating our Sovereignty" and all that... 

9 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

1. New markets. By exiting the EU trading bloc, the UK will be free to strike its own trade deals with other non-EU countries.
  2. Less regulation. Eurosceptics have long decried the regulatory burden – or ‘red tape’ – imposed on businesses from the EU.
  3. Domestic trade. ...
  4. Workforce. ...

1. Companies would find it more beneficial and cost effective to trade with our neighbours rather than countries on the other side of the world.

2.Yep now we can just throw our sewerage into our rivers and kick our cows.

3. That advantage went more to the EU who no longer buy from us but from each other.

4. Like the care homes you mean and the NHS ?. They can’t put salaries up so nobody from Britain wants to work in them ( Farage said Brits would be queuing up ). I see today the announcement that 10’s of thousands of visa’s will be issued to fill these positions, clearly what we were told was really racism and hatred.

5. You mean like our scientists no longer receiving huge EU grants and huge pharmaceutical plants built to manufacture vaccine and technology being sold off, or how electric engine manufacture has fallen miles behind the rest of the world.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

3. Domestic trade. ...
  4. Workforce. ...

Is this tired trite responses the best you can do ?

Items 1 & 2 have already proved illusionary and false - there are no new significant markets that we weren't already able to access via the EU - and we're behind them in 'deals' with the USA (how are those US steel tariffs on the UK doing by the way?). More so anybody in business knows there is simply MORE red tape than before especially if you are trading globally. The 'British' disease from the 1970s returns. I put it down to a lack of a rounded education.

As to points 3,4 and 5 - well I suggest when you need care (or the NHS) you'll realize the huge staff shortages. I wonder where we'll get them from?

2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

1. Companies would find it more beneficial and cost effective to trade with our neighbours rather than countries on the other side of the world.

2.Yep now we can just throw our sewerage into our rivers and kick our cows.

3. That advantage went more to the EU who no longer buy from us but from each other.

4. Like the care homes you mean and the NHS ?. They can’t put salaries up so nobody from Britain wants to work in them ( Farage said Brits would be queuing up ). I see today the announcement that 10’s of thousands of visa’s will be issued to fill these positions, clearly what we were told was really racism and hatred.

5. You mean like our scientists no longer receiving huge EU grants and huge pharmaceutical plants built to manufacture vaccine and technology being sold off, or how electric engine manufacture has fallen miles behind the rest of the world.

Snap. 🙂

I was going to add that we can remove VAT on fuel - but apparently our chancellor actually doesn't want too....

Its the usual story - most the Brexiteers can't actually find an EU SM rule that in any practical way limited them (or wouldn't / isn't immediately replaced by a similar if not a direct copy UK one - UKCA as oppose to CE etc).  

• Like 1