Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

Meanwhile the Bank of England - 

Raise interest rates

Warned real incomes will fall by 2% this year

Slashes GDP forecast for 2022

So the UK having the fastest growing economy in the G7 - even the BoE don’t believe that story.. 

Edited by Surfer

Here in France electricity prices would have increased by 45% from February without state intervention. Thanks to state intervention, the price rise will be limited to 4%.

Remember when the leave campaign told us that we'd have cheaper bills when we left the EU, right now I'd take a 4% increase.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:
Here in France electricity prices would have increased by 45% from February without state intervention. Thanks to state intervention, the price rise will be limited to 4%.

Remember when the leave campaign told us that we'd have cheaper bills when we left the EU, right now I'd take a 4% increase.

Surely you are not suggesting we were misled ?

The French have adequate supplies of atomic energy. The rest however are somewhat fcuked.

• Like 1

This was the conference in 2021, which was more than 3 weeks ago.

Sir Jeffery Donaldson also told reporters that Boris Johnson told him at the Tory party conference that he would get a revised deal with Brussels in a "short sharp three weeks" of negotiations.
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The French have adequate supplies of atomic energy. The rest however are somewhat fcuked.

A lot of gas too I hear.

21 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

DO YOU KNOW WHAT A FREEPORT IS ?

Of course I do you blithering idiot - otherwise I wouldn't have been able to give the information about them that I did - information that was quite straightforward but still is too difficult for you to understand apparently.

So let me have another go.

Up until 2012 and whilst we were part of the EU, there were free port areas in Liverpool, Southampton, the Port of Tilbury, the Port of Sheerness and at Prestwick Airport. In 2012 the Tory government abolished them because they were of no benefit to the UK economy and were actually harmful because of the tax evasion and smuggling that they enabled.

Johnson is now claiming that being able to set up freeports is a Brexit benefit which is firstly a lie because the EU has plenty of freeports and currently there is no reason why we couldn't have kept the ones we had and created new ones, and more importantly Johnson hasn't got a clue (and neither has anyone else) what benefits his freeports will bring to the UK economy.

So not only did an earlier Tory government realise they were a cr@p idea, even the EU who have always allowed them are also coming round to the fact that they are a cr@p idea and are currently consulting the 27 EU countries about getting rid.

In 2022 the idiot Johnson is just about the only person anywhere who thinks they are a good idea and even he couldn't form a coherent sentence on what the benefits are.

Its just another piece of Brexit nonsense which you've swallowed hook, line & sinker 😂

2 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Of course I do you blithering idiot - otherwise I wouldn't have been able to give the information about them that I did - information that was quite straightforward but still is too difficult for you to understand apparently.

So let me have another go.

Up until 2012 and whilst we were part of the EU, there were free port areas in Liverpool, Southampton, the Port of Tilbury, the Port of Sheerness and at Prestwick Airport. In 2012 the Tory government abolished them because they were of no benefit to the UK economy and were actually harmful because of the tax evasion and smuggling that they enabled.

Johnson is now claiming that being able to set up freeports is a Brexit benefit which is firstly a lie because the EU has plenty of freeports and currently there is no reason why we couldn't have kept the ones we had and created new ones, and more importantly Johnson hasn't got a clue (and neither has anyone else) what benefits his freeports will bring to the UK economy.

So not only did an earlier Tory government realise they were a cr@p idea, even the EU who have always allowed them are also coming round to the fact that they are a cr@p idea and are currently consulting the 27 EU countries about getting rid.

In 2022 the idiot Johnson is just about the only person anywhere who thinks they are a good idea and even he couldn't form a coherent sentence on what the benefits are.

Its just another piece of Brexit nonsense which you've swallowed hook, line & sinker 😂

first  there's not need to call me names plus  whilst you lot were in the EU It cost us a fortune to be in that club.  I  know what I'd prefer

News from the Southend by-election :

Jason Pilley of the Psychedelic Movement came second with 512 votes. UKIP's Steve Laws was third with 400.

7 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

first  there's not need to call me names plus  whilst you lot were in the EU It cost us a fortune to be in that club.  I  know what I'd prefer

Thicko! The cost of being in the EU was way below the cost of Brexsh*ite. Currently running at £129bn https://costofbrexit.netlify.app/

8 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

I wasn't calling you names I was accurately describing you and your behaviour - which once again you demonstrate by producing another stupid response which has no relevance whatsoever to the freeports you were originally so keen to discuss.

Just now, Creative Midfielder said:

I wasn't calling you names I was accurately describing you and your behaviour - which once again you demonstrate by producing another stupid response which has no relevance whatsoever to the freeports you were originally so keen to discuss.

11 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Of course I do you blithering idiot

What's that if it's not calling me names ? As I explained being in the EU was not a freeport it cost us a fortune to be in the club. 

2 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

What's that if it's not calling me names ?

I already said - it is a description of you and your behaviour on here

As I explained being in the EU was not a freeport it cost us a fortune to be in the club. 

That appears to be a list of English words in a random order which doesn't actually mean anything whatsoever - in other words it makes slightly less sense than your normal complete nonsense.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

What's that if it's not calling me names ? As I explained being in the EU was not a freeport it cost us a fortune to be in the club. 

New levels of stupidity that couldn't be reproduced by a mentally defective monkey typing randomly on a keyboard.

3 minutes ago, horsefly said:

New levels of stupidity that couldn't be reproduced by a mentally defective monkey typing randomly on a keyboard.

calling names AGAIN !  So you believe it cost us nothing to be in the EU  

1 minute ago, SwindonCanary said:

calling names AGAIN !  So you believe it cost us nothing to be in the EU  

FFS! Can you not read? I said nothing of the sort. Go back and read again or get a grandchild to explain to you what I ACTUALLY said. In 2019 the UK's contribution to the EU cost a net £9.4bn (https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-7886/). The benefits to UK industry of that £9.4bn investment allowing frictionless free trade undoubtedly exceeds that outlay by huge amounts. The cost of Brexit to date is estimated to be around £129bn. Do the maths you utter fool.

16 minutes ago, horsefly said:

FFS! Can you not read? I said nothing of the sort. Go back and read again or get a grandchild to explain to you what I ACTUALLY said. In 2019 the UK's contribution to the EU cost a net £9.4bn (https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-7886/). The benefits to UK industry of that £9.4bn investment allowing frictionless free trade undoubtedly exceeds that outlay by huge amounts. The cost of Brexit to date is estimated to be around £129bn. Do the maths you utter fool.

There's a lot of debate about how much we pay into the EU but even if it is £9.4bn don't you think that's a lot of money to be in the club and be part of a 'free'port  ?

43 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

There's a lot of debate about how much we pay into the EU but even if it is £9.4bn don't you think that's a lot of money to be in the club and be part of a 'free'port  ?

The link I posted is the GOVERNMENT's own figures. And what don't you understand about the concept of investing a certain amount of money in order to generate profits far in excess of that investment? Now do the maths: which is bigger, £9.4bn or £129bn?

1 minute ago, SwindonCanary said:

I STILL SAY £9.4bn IS ALOT TO PAY FOR A FREEPORT, BETTER OUT

That's because you're stupid. The EU is not a freeport you moron.

34 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

You still clearly haven't got a clue what a freeport is - they are nothing to do with the EU whatsoever other than the EU has some as have many countries round the world. EU freeports have absolutely nothing to due with the UK's or any other countries' contribution to the EU budget.

The decision to establish a freeport in any country is a decision for that country's government and they are called 'free' ports because they are largely free from taxes and many regulations as far as the companies operating in them are concerned. So they cost the country that hosts the freeport money in lost tax revenue which is one of the reasons why the Tory government decided in 2012 to scrap all the UK ones that were in operation.

They are nothing to do with Brexit and even if they were they wouldn't be a Brexit benefit because as I've already described they are not beneficial - no one other than the idiot Johnson has a clue why he would think that bringing them back is a good idea.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I STILL SAY £9.4bn IS ALOT TO PAY FOR A FREEPORT, BETTER OUT

How much did we get returned in grants ? Genuine question.

45 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

You still clearly haven't got a clue what a freeport is - they are nothing to do with the EU whatsoever other than the EU has some as have many countries round the world. EU freeports have absolutely nothing to due with the UK's or any other countries' contribution to the EU budget.

The decision to establish a freeport in any country is a decision for that country's government and they are called 'free' ports because they are largely free from taxes and many regulations as far as the companies operating in them are concerned. So they cost the country that hosts the freeport money in lost tax revenue which is one of the reasons why the Tory government decided in 2012 to scrap all the UK ones that were in operation.

They are nothing to do with Brexit and even if they were they wouldn't be a Brexit benefit because as I've already described they are not beneficial - no one other than the idiot Johnson has a clue why he would think that bringing them back is a good idea.

Its a rare skill of SC to get everything so totally wrong, misunderstood and back to front. As you note even a randomly guessing monkey couldn't manage it. It's pure comic genius or as per the Eric Morecambe sketch "I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

I think he'd be brilliant on the stage. A sort of Tommy Cooper / Frank Spenser cross on steroids.

• Haha 1