Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

33 minutes ago, Indy said:

That’s why I blocked him months ago, probably year ago now! 👍

Very sensible - must admit that I blocked him ages ago as well but every now and then, usually when someone else has quoted him and his stupidity is therefore visible again, I get tempted to respond. I don't know why because its a complete waste of time, he never comes up with a sensible/reasonable/relevant response and if anything he seems to be getting worse - given the disaster that Brexit has been I guess he's completely out of ammo so he just gets ever more nonsensical 😂

Anyway I think I've done my bit for today so it will be several weeks (more hopefully 😀) before I even look at, never mind respond to, any of his idiotic posts again.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Very sensible - must admit that I blocked him ages ago as well but every now and then, usually when someone else has quoted him and his stupidity is therefore visible again, I get tempted to respond. I don't know why because its a complete waste of time, he never comes up with a sensible/reasonable/relevant response and if anything he seems to be getting worse - given the disaster that Brexit has been I guess he's completely out of ammo so he just gets ever more nonsensical 😂

Anyway I think I've done my bit for today so it will be several weeks (more hopefully 😀) before I even look at, never mind respond to, any of his idiotic posts again.

I'm always reminded of this cartoon CW (The tea bags are full of expectation and are excited but don't realise their final outcome). Seems as good (if not slightly oblique or subtle) metaphor for true Brexiters as anything.

IMG_20210204_101845.jpg

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

SWINDON

Major employers include the Honda car production plant, which is scheduled to close in July 2021,[54] at the former Vickers-Armstrongs Supermarine aircraft factory on the former South Marston aerodrome, BMW/Mini (formerly Pressed Steel Fisher) in Stratton, Dolby Labs, international engineering consultancy firm Halcrow, and retailer W H Smith's distribution centre and headquarters. The electronics company Intel has its European head office on the south side of the town. Insurance and financial services companies such as Nationwide Building Society and Zurich Financial Services, the energy companies RWE Generation UK plc and Npower (a company of the Innogy group), the fuel card and fleet management company Arval, pharmaceutical companies such as Canada's Patheon and the United States-based Catalent Pharma Solutions and French medical supplies manufacturer Vygon (UK) Ltd have their UK divisions headquartered in the town. Swindon also has the head office of the National Trust.

Other employers include all of the national Research Councils, the British Computer Society, TE Connectivity, Lok'nStore and consumer goods supplier Reckitt Benckiser.

The town is currently the location of the UK Space Agency headquarters.

2 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

No1 virus control  !

Better than Israel? (Assuming you’re not Palestinian)

13 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

“as the daily case number passed 100 for a third straight day.” Remind me of the number of daily cases in the UK currently?

The *only* success this government has had in this pandemic has been to get in early in the queue for buying vaccines. And the rollout only worked because it was largely organised by public sector bodies, unlike the Track and Trace bonfire of our taxes by Serco and other private sector chums of the government.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

SWINDON

Major employers include the Honda car production plant, which is scheduled to close in July 2021,[54] at the former Vickers-Armstrongs Supermarine aircraft factory on the former South Marston aerodrome, BMW/Mini (formerly Pressed Steel Fisher) in Stratton, Dolby Labs, international engineering consultancy firm Halcrow, and retailer W H Smith's distribution centre and headquarters. The electronics company Intel has its European head office on the south side of the town. Insurance and financial services companies such as Nationwide Building Society and Zurich Financial Services, the energy companies RWE Generation UK plc and Npower (a company of the Innogy group), the fuel card and fleet management company Arval, pharmaceutical companies such as Canada's Patheon and the United States-based Catalent Pharma Solutions and French medical supplies manufacturer Vygon (UK) Ltd have their UK divisions headquartered in the town. Swindon also has the head office of the National Trust.

Other employers include all of the national Research Councils, the British Computer Society, TE Connectivity, Lok'nStore and consumer goods supplier Reckitt Benckiser.

The town is currently the location of the UK Space Agency headquarters.

Do you read your posts, Honda closing and yesterday you said investing in space agencies was a waste of money, yet today as it’s the U.K. it’s amazing. I can’t even be bothered to look at the rest.

26 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Don’t speak complete s*** about things you have no understanding of and is nothing to do with Brexit.

As I keep saying a poster keeps pulling people up about posting on the wrong thread, but doesn’t pull you up, so I guess you are the same person.

If you want to talk about vaccines why not talk about the deal the EU has with Pfizer to manufacture and purchase 1.8 BILLION doses, let’s hope we don’t have to beg them for our 60 million doses in September.

5 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Well,, say something good about Britain ! 

Britain gave the world the beautiful game and the last time the World Cup was hosted by a country in Britain one of the British nations won the competition. Incidentally the only time a British nation has won the World Cup we had a Labour Government.

• Haha 1

Apologies and this will be the last time I give any mention of GB (Gammon/Gobsh!te Broadcasting) on this thread.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

Apologies and this will be the last time I give any mention of GB (Gammon/Gobsh!te Broadcasting) on this thread.

As many as that ?

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Well,, say something good about Britain ! 

Britain gave the world some of the greatest music, ranging in styles from Vaughan Williams to Iron Maiden, some of the greatest artists ranging from Turner to the YBA. some of the greatest playwrights, actors, films, theatre, radio, TV. We punch mightily above our weight in the cultural world.

5 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

As many as that ?

And Andrew Neil has just gone for a two week break, barely after GB News has started citing it has been a "rocky start"

Not a ringing endorsement. The fella is stressed already. As the few are watching.

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

Britain gave the world some of the greatest music, ranging in styles from Vaughan Williams to Iron Maiden, some of the greatest artists ranging from Turner to the YBA. some of the greatest playwrights, actors, films, theatre, radio, TV. We punch mightily above our weight in the cultural world.

Yep! and the government is doing all it can to reduce the "culture" industry to the same catastrophic brexit level as all our other exports.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

And Andrew Neil has just gone for a two week break, barely after GB News has started citing it has been a "rocky start"

Not a ringing endorsement. The fella is stressed already. As the few are watching.

Perhaps he's going to be doing a bit of networking and asking a few more of his friends to watch out of sympathy ?

Arh bless.

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

I refer to my earlier post, your honour.

On 24/06/2021 at 11:44, Nuff Said said:

I’ve kept away from this thread for the sake of my blood pressure. However, putting to one side the question of whether Brexit had merit or not, after reading this Twitter thread I had to post it to highlight what an utter c0ckup the government is making of it.

The creative industries make billions of pounds every year for the UK, but are being let down. Inevitably, people will either move abroad, or move out of the creative industries, significantly reducing the country’s revenue.

No further questions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

I didn't know Brillo had such a large family.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Yep! and the government is doing all it can to reduce the "culture" industry to the same catastrophic brexit level as all our other exports.

When I find myself agreeing with Andrew Lloyd Webber you know something is terribly rotten in the government's response.

16 minutes ago, Herman said:

Further down there is a questionable tweet from the usually spot-on David Allen Green:

That Brexiters did not realise the implications of their own slogans and did not understand the meaning of the legal texts they negotiated and signed - and yet blame Remainers and the EU for this - is the essence of the story of Brexit.

I think the leading Brexiters did understand that their slogans were at best absurd distortions and at worst blatant lies. And either did understand the legal texts, or decided it didn't matter if they understood them or not, because they never intended to keep to any clauses they later found out they didn't like. As with the NI deal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Herman said:

When I find myself agreeing with Andrew Lloyd Webber you know something is terribly rotten in the government's response.

Haha! I suppose it almost counts as a positive that ALW is getting screwed over.

6 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Further down there is a questionable tweet from the usually spot-on David Allen Green:

That Brexiters did not realise the implications of their own slogans and did not understand the meaning of the legal texts they negotiated and signed - and yet blame Remainers and the EU for this - is the essence of the story of Brexit.

I think the leading Brexiters did understand that their slogans were at best absurd distortions and at worst blatant lies. And either did understand the legal texts, or decided it didn't matter if they understood them or not, because they never intended to keep to any clauses they later found out they didn't like. As with the NI deal.

A very fair point. It's been mentioned before that Cummings said simple slogans were known lies, like the £350 million, to rile the opposition and to get them to repeat the lie, therefore keeping in the public attention. And Johnson simply signed any old dog doo just for another three word slogan "get brexit done". He was never going to abide by any of it.

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

Is that so he can get out a bit more and enjoy the French countryside around his French home, instead of staying inside talking complete b*ll*cks about how great GB is to the few thousand people in GB who were true believers already because they are too thick or too blinkered to know any better?

Perhaps as you suggest he is stressed  - let's not forget that he was once a pretty decent journalist and although that was a long time ago now, maybe he retains enough of his journalistic instincts to realise that he has now got himself involved with a total crock of sh*t. I suppose we should feel some sympthy for him but I'm afraid its a 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 from me 😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Frost seems right at the heart of things. Sadly. Surely he DID understand the texts.

He was in charge of negotiating the deal, specifically the Withdrawal Agreement.

Yet, there have been times since he hasn't appeared to know what he has signed!

He has stated that Brexiters didn't believe things would turn out badly. How so David?

He stated he expects that the EU not to be awkward in future, in not treating the UK as an important player, therefore that the EU ought not to respond if the UK goes in to break international law.

He stated he would be astonished if the EU take remedial legal action (which looks highly likely) even though these challenges are facilitated in the very WA he signed.

Edited by sonyc
Too many !! Now removed

31 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Too many !! Now removed

If only that was true of the current cabinet!

Brexit is even ruining the careers of our young UK cyclists, one of the few sports we truly excel at:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/thomas-and-froome-sign-letter-calling-for-help-for-riders-affected-by-brexit/ar-AALs2LL?ocid=msedgntp

The 2018 Tour de France winner Geraint Thomas, the former world road race champion Lizzie Deignan and the seven-time Grand Tour winner Chris Froome are among leading names in British cycling to have signed an open letter calling on the government to assist young British riders whose racing careers have been stalled by post-Brexit travel arrangements.

The letter, sent to sport minister Oliver Dowden, argues that rules limiting British citizens, including athletes, to spending 90 days in the European Union in any 180-day period are huge obstacles to career development for young British talent.

image.png

14 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Brexit is even ruining the careers of our young UK cyclists, one of the few sports we truly excel at:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/thomas-and-froome-sign-letter-calling-for-help-for-riders-affected-by-brexit/ar-AALs2LL?ocid=msedgntp

The 2018 Tour de France winner Geraint Thomas, the former world road race champion Lizzie Deignan and the seven-time Grand Tour winner Chris Froome are among leading names in British cycling to have signed an open letter calling on the government to assist young British riders whose racing careers have been stalled by post-Brexit travel arrangements.

The letter, sent to sport minister Oliver Dowden, argues that rules limiting British citizens, including athletes, to spending 90 days in the European Union in any 180-day period are huge obstacles to career development for young British talent.

image.png

Could this man help the great British effort on the Tour de France. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3c1bb3343977ee42699f99b8ede5e459.jpeg

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Frost seems right at the heart of things. Sadly. Surely he DID understand the texts.

He was in charge of negotiating the deal, specifically the Withdrawal Agreement.

Yet, there have been times since he hasn't appeared to know what he has signed!

He has stated that Brexiters didn't believe things would turn out badly. How so David?

Frosty is certainly central to this and has much in common with Johnson, both idiots and both liars.

Having said that I find it very hard to believe that Frosty, at least, didn't understand the texts that he negotiated, so the obvious conclusion, which was my feeling from very early on, is that Frost and Johnson never had any intention of honouring the deal they signed.

So now he is 'surprised' that things have turned out so badly because they were stupid enough to think that the EU would let them get away with that approach. The bad outcome is having to implement the deal they signed only a few months ago 😂😂😂

A pair of useless, thick, deceitful muppets and to make it even worse our very own muppets and the muppets that represent us on the world stage.

5 minutes ago, dj11 said:

Could this man help the great British effort on the Tour de France. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3c1bb3343977ee42699f99b8ede5e459.jpeg

Hahahahaha! To think people actually questioned what Carrie sees in him