Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

Withnail and I is one of those films that had been too hyped when I watched it and was disappointing, although it was probably 25 years ago now I guess. I did enjoy the clip though. Might give it another go.

Edited by Nuff Said

Chris Patten (Tory Peer) hitting a home run on NI ....

Referencing the issue of checks for meat products, Patten said:

The problem at heart is not the sausages you get from Sainsbury’s but the porkies that we all get, home and abroad, from Downing Street.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

image.png.688525e0d6749d62347b658a52bb78c7.png

92,500 at 8 pm when the other two channels have already shown their main news programmes, that's a very thin straw to grasp.

Almost 50% down from it's opening night peak, been going down since then.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-57572864

Brexit: Views from Boston, Britain's most Eurosceptic town

The firm employs over 100 migrant workers every year, who Adam says are crucial to the company's success.

He feared Brexit would make running a business more difficult and he believes he has been proved right.

"Brexit has made us more of an island than ever before," Adam told me.

Taylor's Bulbs has set up two new businesses, one in Ireland and one in the Netherlands, in an effort to ease trading with the rest of Europe.

"We will, therefore, of course, syphon off a proportion of our turnover into a Dutch business and report that into Dutch tax."

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

92,500 at 8 pm when the other two channels have already shown their main news programmes, that's a very thin straw to grasp.

When launched, its audience was 262,000. I wonder at what point it becomes financially unviable?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Doesn't this belong in the GB News thread?

Edited by horsefly

2 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Why is RTB not challenging why you have put this in this thread ? Hope you are not the same person ?

• Haha 1

It's a propaganda channel supported by the government and funded by extremely wealthy non-British tax dodgers. Spiked is the rag of the revolutionary Communists. You're being brainwashed by frauds.

On 23/06/2021 at 18:39, Rock The Boat said:

Of course we need to populate the NHS with British staff. Not because of some racist meme but because the NHS is a key service that has to be self-sustaining. I see lots of posts complaining about the sell-off of key industries to foreign companies such as Huawei or the French power generators with the argument that we should not sell off key industries. You make the argument for not selling off the NHS to the Americans, yet if we outsource our medical expertise to foreigners then we run the risk of having no national expertise if for some reason those people leave the UK and take their knowledge with them. It isn't an anti-foreigner point, it is having a sensible, long-term, sustainable model of creating, training and holding onto personnel in key positions.

There is also a moral argument to be made. Again, I'm often told that the history of this country involved the transfer of wealth from colonies to the mother nation. That is exactly what happens when the NHS trawls developing countries for the wealth of knowledge to transfer it back to the UK. You may well say how wonderful it is to be treated by a Philippina nurse, but you are denying the people of the Philippines the chance to be treated with the same level of care.

Then there is the argument that British people are not interested in taking up those vacant positions. The solution is then to make it financially interesting so that people will be encouraged to apply for these jobs. I would have thought the left would jump at the chance to support anything that benefits the working population by increasing their skillsets and salary levels, but there is as much silence on the issue from the opposition as there is from the government. 

You seem to think thay Americans are benign in their haste to get their hands on medical data and our wallets. I agree with your gist with regards to our continuous colonising, indeed we are slaves ourselves to this attitude that we can do with humans as we see fit.

Onwards with recruiting well educated and taught nurses, in debt to their eyeballs due to the university money challenge which eventually lands them in a job were they are useful and hard working, with not much prospects of a pay rise.

Doctors take 7.5 years to train and whence they are trained, they, just as their nursing team will look for were the money is to be made. If we want to retain staff here, then we have to change the model of NHS funding, with employers and employees both contributing to a health insurance that allows the NHS to be funded in another way.

To change the current equation, when we are still in a serious health challenge due to this ever morphing virus, throw the spanners in the bin and hope that we can cope without 130.000 loss of staff, is unreal, dangerous and deluded. I know of doctors who want to come here to train, only to return to their country and apply their learned expertise.

I also know of nurses and doctors who come here from Europe, whatever one might want to say about that, our neighbours next door and the globalisation everyone espoused to, now dead due to increasing Nationalism, has also meant a globalisation of labour forces.

9 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Why are you Remainers so anti-British?

Idiotic! Na*zis used to say the same thing about anyone who objected to their policies.  Remainers wanted to stay in the EU precisely because it was in the best interests of the UK to do so (Not just the Brits, or have you written off NI too). It is obvious for all to see that to be pro UK is to reject the calamatous disaster that brexit has recklessly visited upon the country.

57 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Why are you Remainers so anti-British?

Why are the Brits not taking the British jobs, or was that said just to get Europeans out of the U.K. where those that hate them want them gone.

Bring back EU workers to get food to supermarket shelves, industry bosses beg PM

'There has never been a more challenging time' for the UK’s food supply chain, according to industry leaders, who are pressing the Prime Minister to grant them access to EU and EEA labour

2 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Well,, say something good about Britain ! 

We created the NHS, even though the Tories didn't want it to happen.

7 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

We created the NHS, even though the Tories didn't want it to happen.

.... and have been steadily dismantling/privatising it for the last 10 years so they may well eventually get back to the pre-1948 status for health.

Let's face it with Brexit they've succeeded in knocking the UK back to the mid 20th century in many other areas - of course they were actually aiming to take us back to 19th century but even idiots like old Frosty have realised that things haven't gone as well as they expected so that's obviously going to take a bit longer 😂

Edited by Creative Midfielder
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

It's got lovely country side, especilly the National Parks. The first Nation Park act was introduced by a Labour Government.

Edited by A Load of Squit

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

Why?

Presumably because you have been repeatedly asked to come up with a single 'good' outcome from Brexit and yet 6 months on you still have managed it?

Don't see why you're expecting us to help you out, even if we could - although as it turns out we can't 😂

PS. Just for the sake of clarity 'good' also means genuine and truthful in this context - not just some nice sounding bollox from Frosty or Johnson,..........or Gove,............or Raab......................or pretty useless,..................🤣

44 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Its lovely apart from Swindon

It’s like the Ipswich to our Norwich, so Swindon is to Oxford! ****ehole!

10 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

No1 virus control  !

I did say good, genuine, truthful and a Brexit outcome and you have once again fallen flat on every single count 😂

I realise in an ideal world we would all treat each other with a certain amount of respect but when people like you continuously spout ridiculous, idiotic nonsense then its pretty difficult - especially as although it's obvious that you aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer I still find to hard to believe that you are as stupid as your postings would have us believe (that's just me trying to see the good in every one 😀)

So the obvious conclusion, and the one that quite a few on here have already reached, is that you're not actually interested at all in any discussion and merely trolling to provoke and irritate people.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

I did say good, genuine, truthful and a Brexit outcome and you have once again fallen flat on every single count 😂

I realise in an ideal world we would all treat each other with a certain amount of respect but when people like you continuously spout ridiculous, idiotic nonsense then its pretty difficult - especially as although it's obvious that you aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer I still find to hard to believe that you are as stupid as your postings would have us believe (that's just me trying to see the good in every one 😀)

So the obvious conclusion, and the one that quite a few on here have already reached, is that you're not actually interested at all in any discussion and merely trolling to provoke and irritate people.

That’s why I blocked him months ago, probably year ago now! 👍