Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

I presume he is back here although I'd hope he was somewhere far, far away. Hopefully as ballast in one of the missions to Mars.😀

The guys such a charlatan, he spent 17 years taking his massive pay check from the EU and huge pension without doing any good for the UK. Exactly what our own Brexiteers moaning about the EU bureaucracy doing! He’s **** and always only out for his own gain!

Edited by Indy
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

She's nearly as dumb as Swindon.

You never see them in the same place! Only saying!

Come on Swindon, admit it, you're Kate Hoey aren't you?

Edited by horsefly

36 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I was going to say, unlikely as Hoey was a Labour MP. But so was Tony Blair.

Kate Hoey, another Tory who infiltrated the Labour Party.

Anyone remember when she nominated McDonnell for leader and he refused to stand so she nominated Diane Abbot and then voted for Andy Burnham.

Clearly you cannot have two Michael Gove's in the same party so she pretended to be Labour.

38 minutes ago, horsefly said:

We could make a game of this. Which Brexiter is who?

Jools or Broadstairs - Mark Francois

RTB - Rees Mogg

Ricardo - Bill Cash

Paul Moy - Daniel Hannan

Van Wink - Michael Gove

Swindo - Hoey or Dunkin-Donut

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

We could make a game of this. Which Brexiter is who?

Jools or Broadstairs - Mark Francois

RTB - Rees Mogg

Ricardo - Bill Cash

Paul Moy - Daniel Hannan

Van Wink - Michael Gove

Swindo - Hoey or Dunkin-Donut

Excellent!!!

Well at least preventing imports from the EU is improving the balance of trade - oh wait .....

So, February the 11th and we're still waiting for a positive story that is actually related to brexit. I wonder how many negative stories we've posted?

8 hours ago, Herman said:

A Brexit positive. Not for us though.

No wonder stocks are so high..

I was thinking it would take ten years for us to look to 'rejoin' the SM in some manner rather like Norway - but given the tale of unending woe already I think it may be rather faster than that.

55 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I was thinking it would take ten years for us to look to 'rejoin' the SM in some manner rather like Norway - but given the tale of unending woe already I think it may be rather faster than that.

The problem I see, is that the Tories will never admit they were wrong, and it will take a change of government, which I fear is not a forgone conclusion. I also cannot see the countries within the EU wanting to give up their gains. 

6 minutes ago, dj11 said:

The problem I see, is that the Tories will never admit they were wrong, and it will take a change of government, which I fear is not a forgone conclusion. I also cannot see the countries within the EU wanting to give up their gains. 

This.

A- Tories will never admit they were wrong and will never in a million years allow another referendum

B- Any party that gets into power over the Tories will also be aware of how hugely damaging another Referendum would be, even if they were pro EU they would know just how much they would rip the country apart again and let's be fair nobody wants a repeat of 2016

C- By the time the debate on rejoining becomes a realistic scenario it will be at least a decade if not two- And by this point being outside the EU will be the norm. It will be the status quo.

D-  There is no ways the EU would ever let us rejoin without it being on every one of their terms. When we joined the EU we got in on our terms, and got a good deal compared to many other countries that joined. On the other hand rejoining you can bet we won't get any of those, and the momment the EU says we will need to accept the Euro as our currency in order to rejoin the chances of us rejoining will slide to pretty much zero.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Just now, dj11 said:

The 'give up their gains' crossed my mind. The EU parliament are yet to ratify the existing deal - and they are already gaining jobs and business from the UK as per all the 'positive' Brexit thread as above. NI is now sorted and within the SM anyway. I could see them thinking  - you know what - 'no deal' might suit us even more! Bring it on.

Anyway - the positive thing about this Boris Bonkers Brexit fiasco is sooner broken sooner fixed. Yes no doubt a new government but I suspect the remaining (pun) fishermen will have a new use quite soon for Farage et al - crab bait. 

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

This.

A- Tories will never admit they were wrong and will never in a million years allow another referendum

B- Any party that gets into power over the Tories will also be aware of how hugely damaging another Referendum would be, even if they were pro EU they would know just how much they would rip the country apart again and let's be fair nobody wants a repeat of 2016

C- By the time the debate on rejoining becomes a realistic scenario it will be at least a decade if not two- And by this point being outside the EU will be the norm. It will be the status quo.

D-  There is no ways the EU would ever let us rejoin without it being on every one of their terms. When we joined the EU we got in on our terms, and got a good deal compared to many other countries that joined. On the other hand rejoining you can bet we won't get any of those, and the momment the EU says we will need to accept the Euro as our currency in order to rejoin the chances of us rejoining will slide to pretty much zero.

A and D I agree with but that assumes we were to fully rejoin  - not just the SM or EFTA etc. but anyway the chickens are coming home to roost much much quicker than we thought and I suspect the economically active young will rapidly now demand a change of course as the boomer pensioners fade away.

5 minutes ago, dj11 said:

Thanks to the idiots who believed the lies of Farage and Johnson (I mean, how thick do you have to be to believe a word of those two crooks with their very long records of blatant lies) it looks like we're in for many years of depressing economic failure. Even if the EU were to let us rejoin we would never get anything like as good a deal as we previously had. So standby for Johnson to attempt to turn us into the spiv nation of Europe. I'm sure Russian mafia oligarchs, arms dealers, tax-dodgers, and international crimminals of all colours, are ready and waiting to move their trade here on mass.

16 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I was going to say, unlikely as Hoey was a Labour MP.

Image result for kate hoey boat

Farage putting the **** into Titanic

“I campaigned for the whole of the UK to Leave the EU ... Northern Ireland has not got Brexit – we have the protocol damaging the economy and treating NI citizens as second class within the UK.

Brexit-backing Baroness Kate Hoey rails against the protocol

“Northern Ireland voted to remain because they predicted the future better than you did. They are not surprised, they are angry … You get rewarded with a seat on the HOL, and they get to live with the dire consequences.”

and Deborah Meaden from Dragon’s Den offers a fiery comeback.

What I find so frustrating is that some of the Leave posters on here cannot see that the EU is going to do the best for its member states. If that means they will end up being awkward with us then because it benefits their own members then whst else can you expect.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

What I find so frustrating is that some of the Leave posters on here cannot see that the EU is going to do the best for its member states. If that means they will end up being awkward with us then because it benefits their own members then whst else can you expect.

Indeed! the pathetic irony is that they reach near climax at the mere mention of UK sovereignty and the idea we can do whatever we like free of EU bureaucracy, yet bleet like sheep the minute the EU asserts the sovereignty of its organisation in competition with the UK. What the hell did they think would happen when we created an independent market that is in competition with them?

Right up to the last days of December the EU was trying to keep the UK 'onboard'.

So I would suggest it can only be considered to be 'awkward' if it can be shown that the UK is being treated differently to any other third country (non EU).

Just saw this -

Guardian / Reuters

EC: Brexit to cost EU 0.5% of GDP and UK 2.25% by end 2022

Brexit will damage the EU’s economic recovery over the next couple of years, the European Commission also said – but the impact will be felt far more acutely by the UK.

Reuters reports:

Britain’s exit from the European Union will cost the bloc around 0.5% of economic growth over the next 24 months, but Brexit will be more than four times more painful for the United Kingdom, the European Commission said on Thursday.

Britain left the EU at the end of January last year, but kept its full access to the 27-nation bloc’s single market until the end of 2020, when it was replaced by a trade agreement.

“For the EU on average, the exit of the UK from the European Union on Free Trade Agreement terms is estimated to generate an output loss of around 0.5% of GDP by the end of 2022, and some 2.25% for the UK,” the Commission said.

The EU-UK trade deal covers goods, services, investment, competition, subsidies, tax transparency, air and road transport, energy and sustainability, fisheries, data protection, and social security coordination. In goods trade, the agreement sets zero tariffs and zero quotas on all goods complying with the appropriate rules of origin - a more trade-friendly option than standard trading terms under World Trade Organisation (WTO) rules.

“Compared to the ‘WTO assumption’ that was modelled in the autumn forecast, the EU-UK FTA reduces this negative impact for the EU on average by about a third and for the UK by about a quarter,” the Commission said.

But the Commission also said that while there were no tariffs and quotas on goods, there were significant non-tariffs barriers for trade in both goods and services.

“In sum, while the FTA improves the situation as compared to an outcome with no trade agreement between the EU and the UK, it cannot come close to matching the benefits of the trading relations provided by EU membership,” the Commission said.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

What the hell did they think would happen when we created an independent market that is in competition with them?

[ don't recall the Brexiteers ever complaining about how 'awkward' the EU was to non members when the UK was a member.

But I do recall being told repeatedly how much better off they were by not being a member.... free to do great deals, free to trade as they wish .... blah blah

The reality is, however, that many of the biggest whiners now are those whose narrow, self interested greed over shadowed any consideration for what was best for the UK as a whole

"so you sow, so you shall reap" (though whether you can sell it after is another matter)

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

"so you sow, so you shall reap" (though whether you can sell it after is another matter)

I've already submitted my suggestion to the government for a new post-brexit logo for agriculture:

Sow, grow, and throw (away)

Edited by horsefly

3 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I've already submitted my suggestion to the government for a new post-brexit logo for agriculture:

"ooh arggh.........................................oh no, oh f*ck"

image.jpeg.cd2a7fae41ea4e44c9bf17ec7b90ec35.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Bill said:

"ooh arggh.........................................oh no, oh f*ck"

image.jpeg.cd2a7fae41ea4e44c9bf17ec7b90ec35.jpeg

He probably grew salad plants and thought the poster said "Vote Leaves"

2 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

I was thinking it would take ten years for people to pretend that they didn't vote for brexit.......😉

53 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Remember Neil in the Young Ones?

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed