Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

2 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Just saw this -

Guardian / Reuters

EC: Brexit to cost EU 0.5% of GDP and UK 2.25% by end 2022

Brexit will damage the EU’s economic recovery over the next couple of years, the European Commission also said – but the impact will be felt far more acutely by the UK.

Reuters reports:

Britain’s exit from the European Union will cost the bloc around 0.5% of economic growth over the next 24 months, but Brexit will be more than four times more painful for the United Kingdom, the European Commission said on Thursday.

Britain left the EU at the end of January last year, but kept its full access to the 27-nation bloc’s single market until the end of 2020, when it was replaced by a trade agreement.

“For the EU on average, the exit of the UK from the European Union on Free Trade Agreement terms is estimated to generate an output loss of around 0.5% of GDP by the end of 2022, and some 2.25% for the UK,” the Commission said.

The EU-UK trade deal covers goods, services, investment, competition, subsidies, tax transparency, air and road transport, energy and sustainability, fisheries, data protection, and social security coordination. In goods trade, the agreement sets zero tariffs and zero quotas on all goods complying with the appropriate rules of origin - a more trade-friendly option than standard trading terms under World Trade Organisation (WTO) rules.

“Compared to the ‘WTO assumption’ that was modelled in the autumn forecast, the EU-UK FTA reduces this negative impact for the EU on average by about a third and for the UK by about a quarter,” the Commission said.

But the Commission also said that while there were no tariffs and quotas on goods, there were significant non-tariffs barriers for trade in both goods and services.

“In sum, while the FTA improves the situation as compared to an outcome with no trade agreement between the EU and the UK, it cannot come close to matching the benefits of the trading relations provided by EU membership,” the Commission said.

The figure that story lacks (because it would be impossible to calculate accurately) is the far more substantial hit the EU economy would have been taking over years and years to come if it had undermined the whole point of the single market by caving in and giving the UK the cake and eat it deal Leavers promised.

9 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The figure that story lacks (because it would be impossible to calculate accurately) is the far more substantial hit the EU economy would have been taking over years and years to come if it had undermined the whole point of the single market by caving in and giving the UK the cake and eat it deal Leavers promised.

All for some 'notional' idea of sovereignty.

We can't even get back from the states the woman who accidentally killed the young motorcyclist whilst driving on the wrong side of road. I'm pretty sure our EU friends would have returned her forthwith. 

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Unfortunately the gullible brexiteers were told to believe the EU needed the UK more than we needed the EU!

There will be a large amount of EU members happy to see us go, having to deal with the childish Farage and his bigots each week.

Well you got what you deserved...

12 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Nothing good about Brexit. End of discussion.

You could have told us 4 years ago.😉

52 minutes ago, sonyc said:

There were a few refuting claims on this thread (the usual nationalists frankly speaking) that the finance sector would be affected adversely by Brexit. We are barely into February too.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/brexit-london-trading-amsterdam-shares-stock-exchange-b1800835.html

I remember being ridiculed ( by ridiculous posters, ironically) for saying right at the outset that a hard Brexit would mean the City would lose significant business because of the withdrawal of passporting rights and such like.

9 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I remember being ridiculed ( by ridiculous posters, ironically) for saying right at the outset that a hard Brexit would mean the City would lose significant business because of the withdrawal of passporting rights and such like.

Likewise I had the same experience PC. I didn't reply.

I think the Famous Four (perhaps it might be Five) have largely gone quiet as the evidence has been steadily building.  Reports and articles from solid / sober sources are accumulating. Of course, these have served to refute all those desperate assertions that all would turn out swimmingly.

In contrast, if the opposite was true and 'regaining sovereignty' had shown some kind of opposite trend  I would for one, have put my hands up and declared my reasoning (or for that matter, intuition) had been quite wrong. I would have been happily wrong. 

It's a significant terrible phase in our history. I'm almost of the view now that other parts of the union ought to try and escape the madness. It's why I think the independence debates will be fascinating. And maybe in our lifetime, quite conceivably, we will see the full break up. It won't just be a divorce from Europe. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

And that was, or at least should have been indisputable. The European financial centres, have been preparing for 4 years to take a chunk out of our financial services sector, and they have not even been secretive about it. My European friends think we have taken leave of our senses, and that is a difficult one to defend. From the start  they said the UK needs the EU, more than vice versa, and I wonder who will be proved to be right. Astonishingly so, they like the Brits, and that is why they wanted us to remain.

More Kate Phooey but with added commentary from Femi.😀 (A nice chunk of Comical Ali on 1 minute.)

13 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

It begs the question that if the natural friends of the Conservatives, in the City, are getting battered, who is actually benefiting? There's got to be someone, Shirley. 

9 minutes ago, Herman said:

It begs the question that if the natural friends of the Conservatives, in the City, are getting battered, who is actually benefiting? There's got to be someone, Shirley. 

I think we should pay Shirley a visit, another one of Boris' conquests no doubt.

16 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I think we should pay Shirley a visit, another one of Boris' conquests no doubt.

You can't visit her she was forced to move with her job, she now lives in Amsterdam.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Herman said:

It looks like the flower industry is the next one to be shafted. 

that's all we bloomin' need 🙄

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

So the UK looked at the Australian hotel quarantine system that works and decided "We'll introduce our own less stringent system"?

The computer system crashed on first go too. Government by Frank Spencer. 

• Haha 1

florists need to buttercup their ideas - so there’s snowdrop in sales

🎶 when it's Spring again

I won't be able to bring

tulips from Amsterdam 🎶

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

It's a thorny issue and should be taken seriously. 

Calm down there petal!

11 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Leave it out Bill. Bloody stalker!

calm down, petal 😍

10 minutes ago, Herman said:

Leaf it out lads. 

Anyway, hate to worry you but we are on page 666.😮

number for the australian emergency services