Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

The Times and the Telegraph are high up on that list either side of the Guardian. They'll both be pleased to be called 'left leaning'.

It's just another failed argument Fen.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

The Times and the Telegraph are high up on that list either side of the Guardian. They'll both be pleased to be called 'left leaning'.

It's just another failed argument Fen.

I actually missed the Times on that list somehow, fair enough then I take it back it does seem fairly evenly split. I stand by my point about most polls not being worth the paper they’re written on though, as most can be made to show whatever the writer wants them to show unfortunately depending on how they collect or correlate the data.

If that poll is to be believed however then we could all stop blaming the voters being mislead and tricked into voting for Brexit by The Sun and Murdoch, as it looks like people don’t trust the opinions in it anyway

Stop listening to the press, Boris himself does not trust them, that's why when he came out of hospital he made his own video to say thank you to the nursing staff and tell everyone he was OK  

2 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Stop listening to the press, Boris himself does not trust them, that's why when he came out of hospital he made his own video to say thank you to the nursing staff and tell everyone he was OK  

What was Johnson's occupation before politics?

Edited by BigFish

10 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

It’s funny you say that when you believe anything the right wing Brexit propaganda machine tells you, without ever checking the facts yourself. Indeed, you’ve posted many lies on this thread. Dear me Swindo, gullible as well as thick  🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by Hoola Han Solo
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

It’s funny you say that when you believe anything the right wing Brexit propaganda machine tells you, without ever checking the facts yourself. Indeed, you’ve posted many lies on this thread. Dear me Swindo, gullible as well as thick  🤦🏻‍♂️

What right wing propaganda machine is this Han? Except a few Brexit supporting papers I’ve seen very little that’s even vaguely right wing. The bulk of television presenters are very left wing and pro EU, as is the majority of social media. The papers are around a 50/50 split, but the way you talk anybody would think a majority of people have been brainwashed by some right wing conspiracy 

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

Boris himself also thinks black people have a lower IQ than white people and it is acceptable to call them "picaninnies"... WTF has Boris opinion of the press got to do with anyone elses'?

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Does that apply to the University of Oxford too ?

All I see here is your bias RTB. Nothing else.

Yes. The University of Oxford is well infected with the Marxist cultural virus

37 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Boris himself also thinks black people have a lower IQ than white people and it is acceptable to call them "picaninnies"... WTF has Boris opinion of the press got to do with anyone elses'?

The picaninnies quote has been largely taken out of context, when he was comparing Blair’s attitude towards the African continent, accusing him of having a similar mindset to the old colonialists towards the people that live there. In much the same way the letterbox quote regarding the Islamic dress has been spun into an example of his racism, when in fact he was defending their right to wear it. Though I’m sure you were well aware of this already, and you simply wanted another excuse to disparage the PM because you don’t like him 

8 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

What right wing propaganda machine is this Han? Except a few Brexit supporting papers I’ve seen very little that’s even vaguely right wing. The bulk of television presenters are very left wing and pro EU, as is the majority of social media. The papers are around a 50/50 split, but the way you talk anybody would think a majority of people have been brainwashed by some right wing conspiracy 

Swindo has on multiple occasions posted up lies from Leave websites.

9 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Genuine question Swindon, why does what Boris thinks of “the press” lead what you think of “the press”? 

Wouldn’t it be better for you to independently assess which press outlets you trust (or at least trust more than others, even if you don’t trust them fully) and then stick to those?

People - even the prime minister - often have their own motivations for saying certain things, for favouring certain “press” over others, for picking and choosing what information and stats they show to people. People should use their own brain.

• Like 1

You should not use "People should use their brain" in the same sentence to the ****wit SWINDO, for he aint got one.

Edited by SHRIMPER
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

The picaninnies quote has been largely taken out of context, when he was comparing Blair’s attitude towards the African continent, accusing him of having a similar mindset to the old colonialists towards the people that live there. In much the same way the letterbox quote regarding the Islamic dress has been spun into an example of his racism, when in fact he was defending their right to wear it. Though I’m sure you were well aware of this already, and you simply wanted another excuse to disparage the PM because you don’t like him 

Oh right, OK then. Personally, I think you're trying to whitewash history here, as you clearly are with the letterbox issue... Him defending their right to wear it by saying they look like letterboxes is not in any way OK. Regardless of whatever point he is trying to make, the use of that language is not OK and propagates racist tropes. If you're OK with that then that's up to you but I'm not.

Here is exactly what he said re: picaninnies:

"What a relief it must be for Blair to get out of England. It is said that the Queen has come to love the Commonwealth, partly because it supplies her with regular cheering crowds of flag-waving piccaninnies," he wrote, referring to African people as having "watermelon smiles."

And what about when he criticised Labour's agenda of teaching of homosexuality in schools? Comparing gay marriage to bestiality? Called gay people "tank top wearing bum boys"? When he said it was "natural" for people to be scared of Islam? "Islam is the problem"? 

All taken out of context no doubt. 

Poor innocent Boris, it must be so hard for him to have all of these racist, misogynistic and bigoted quotes that he wrote freely thrown back at him. Him along with all the others.... except there aren't any others, are there?

35 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Oh right, OK then. Personally, I think you're trying to whitewash history here, as you clearly are with the letterbox issue... Him defending their right to wear it by saying they look like letterboxes is not in any way OK. Regardless of whatever point he is trying to make, the use of that language is not OK and propagates racist tropes. If you're OK with that then that's up to you but I'm not.

Here is exactly what he said re: picaninnies:

"What a relief it must be for Blair to get out of England. It is said that the Queen has come to love the Commonwealth, partly because it supplies her with regular cheering crowds of flag-waving piccaninnies," he wrote, referring to African people as having "watermelon smiles."

And what about when he criticised Labour's agenda of teaching of homosexuality in schools? Comparing gay marriage to bestiality? Called gay people "tank top wearing bum boys"? When he said it was "natural" for people to be scared of Islam? "Islam is the problem"? 

All taken out of context no doubt. 

Poor innocent Boris, it must be so hard for him to have all of these racist, misogynistic and bigoted quotes that he wrote freely thrown back at him. Him along with all the others.... except there aren't any others, are there?

I’m fine with it, mainly because I’m intelligent enough to tell the difference between a satirical article criticising the actions of a political rival and genuine racist behaviour. I’m not going to pretend to be outraged Twitter style over something that is quite frankly trivial. You don’t get elected as Mayor of a city as tolerant and diverse as London if you’re a homophobic racist after all. 

11 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

I’m fine with it, mainly because I’m intelligent enough to tell the difference between a satirical article criticising the actions of a political rival and genuine racist behaviour. I’m not going to pretend to be outraged Twitter style over something that is quite frankly trivial. You don’t get elected as Mayor of a city as tolerant and diverse as London if you’re a homophobic racist after all. 

Oh, so his homophobia and racism is all just one big joke?! Give your head a wobble mate 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

18 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

You are fine with it because you are happy to tolerate casual racism

1 hour ago, Fen Canary said:

Well clearly you're not all that intelligent if you would rather pretend it was all satire. Every racist, sexist and homophobic comment.... god I miss the days of incomparable satirical wit from bleeding heart liberal snowflakes like Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson... Whatever helps you sleep.

Edited by kick it off

If you three are genuinely offended by those articles then I pity you quite frankly, it must be tiring being living in a state of perpetual outrage, getting upset at the most minor of things, and having to constantly search for new ways to be offended. 

Thankfully enough people are still intelligent enough to tell the difference between articles such as this and genuine bigotry (or antisemitism) 

3 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

If you three are genuinely offended by those articles then I pity you quite frankly, it must be tiring being living in a state of perpetual outrage, getting upset at the most minor of things, and having to constantly search for new ways to be offended. 

Thankfully enough people are still intelligent enough to tell the difference between articles such as this and genuine bigotry (or antisemitism) 

The point is it speaks to the character of the man, that he would casually resort to racist tropes in order to make a point. It also speaks to your character and intelligence that you would seek to defend this sort of behaviour.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BigFish said:

The point is it speaks to the character of the man, that he would casually resort to racist tropes in order to make a point. It also speaks to your character and intelligence that you would seek to defend this sort of behaviour.

So you’re back to trying to portray me is thick and racist? Didn’t take long to revert to type I must say 

2 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

So you’re back to trying to portray me is thick and racist? Didn’t take long to revert to type I must say 

No, I am not trying to.

It was clear in what I posted that what Johnson wrote was a reflection on his character, and you defending it was a reflection on yours. People are free to judge for themselves.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

You're doing it all by yourself on this point I'm afraid. Do you still think blackface is funny? I'm not perpetually outraged by the way, I just call it as I see it. There's no intellectually superior interpretation, you don't believe it's racist to perpetuate words like Picaninny whereas I don't see any kind of need for it unless the person using it has some inherent racial bias. I'm not sure how you correlate something as utterly unfunny as Boris' articles to satire.... You can try and dress it up as much as you like, but nobody who is vaguely tolerant and respectful would dream of using the kind of language Boris has, whatever his intentions were.... Is this the bit where you tell us Mrs Brown's boys is the pinnacle of high brow "satire" too and we're all too thick to realise how hilarious it is?

Edited by kick it off

3 minutes ago, kick it off said:

You're doing it all by yourself on this point I'm afraid. Do you still think blackface is funny? I'm not perpetually outraged by the way, I just call it as I see it. There's no intellectually superior interpretation, you don't believe it's racist to perpetuate words like Picaninny whereas I don't see any kind of need for it unless the person using it has some inherent racial bias. I'm not sure how you correlate something as utterly unfunny as Boris' articles to satire.... You can try and dress it up as much as you like, but nobody who is vaguely tolerant and respectful would dream of using the kind of language Boris has, whatever his intentions were.... Is this the bit where you tell us Mrs Brown's boys is the pinnacle of high brow "satire" too and we're all too thick to realise how hilarious it is?

No, I just believe that racism/bigotry isn’t a completely black and white subject, pardon the pun. There’s a vast difference between a satirical column such as the ones you’ve mentioned, and genuine racism such as the BNP or National Front, however you seem to think that they’re one and the same.

Maybe 20 odd years of working on building sites gives me a different outlook on life to yourselves, where being thrown together with all sorts of characters, colours and creeds everybody is a target for jokes, be it about their weight, looks, race, nationality, intelligence, age etc. and nobody cares because they’re clever enough to know there’s no malice in it, they simply carry on taking the pi$$ just like everybody else. Maybe I’m wrong, but I just find all the faux outrage when anybody says the slightest thing that doesn’t fit the narrative of the identity politics brigade to be rather pathetic 

19 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

There’s a vast difference between a satirical column such as the ones you’ve mentioned, and genuine racism such as the BNP or National Front, however you seem to think that they’re one and the same.

There isn't a vast difference and yes they are the same.

Would I be mistaken in guessing you are a white, middle aged man?

28 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

No, I just believe that racism/bigotry isn’t a completely black and white subject, pardon the pun. There’s a vast difference between a satirical column such as the ones you’ve mentioned, and genuine racism such as the BNP or National Front, however you seem to think that they’re one and the same.

Maybe 20 odd years of working on building sites gives me a different outlook on life to yourselves, where being thrown together with all sorts of characters, colours and creeds everybody is a target for jokes, be it about their weight, looks, race, nationality, intelligence, age etc. and nobody cares because they’re clever enough to know there’s no malice in it, they simply carry on taking the pi$$ just like everybody else. Maybe I’m wrong, but I just find all the faux outrage when anybody says the slightest thing that doesn’t fit the narrative of the identity politics brigade to be rather pathetic 

If the Labour leader was quoted with a number of racist and homophobic remarks, would your opinion be the same? Would you just ignore it? Or would you use it as ammunition? Be honest.