Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Delayed checks on food imports. Again. Why would that be? 

What do we actually need them for? Surely EU standards haven't fallen simply because we left have they?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

What do we actually need them for? Surely EU standards haven't fallen simply because we left have they?

Since  no one believes that these food standards checks have much to do with food standards I find you answer to be most unhelpful

19 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

Since  no one believes that these food standards checks have much to do with food standards I find you answer to be most unhelpful

Think they count more as questions than an answer, in fairness. 😁

I see Duncan Donut is moaning about Notso going to China. If idiots like Duncan Donut hadn't isolated the UK then things may have been different. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Herman said:

I see Duncan Donut is moaning about Notso going to China. If idiots like Duncan Donut hadn't isolated the UK then things may have been different. 

US delegation been meeting with China as well, oddly enough.

I guess the US must be isolated as well...

There is a delicious symbolism here:

"A multimillionaire businessman with close links to the Conservative party has been told to knock down part or all of a luxury hotel that hosted the signing of Rishi Sunak’s Brexit deal because he breached planning regulations."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

There is a delicious symbolism here:

"A multimillionaire businessman with close links to the Conservative party has been told to knock down part or all of a luxury hotel that hosted the signing of Rishi Sunak’s Brexit deal because he breached planning regulations."

I'm surprised he hasn't had a quiet word with Michael Gove - he's happily ripping up planning regulations at the minute at the behest of Tory Party donors, surely he could sort this one out no problem!!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Are you no longer a British passport holder?

Yes, though I will likely be applying for an Icelandic one in a couple of years 

My own perception of things like food imports into the UK is that they have little to no direct impact on me.

That's just my own personal view, though 🙂

On 31/08/2023 at 16:45, SwindonCanary said:

there seems to be a lot of LABOUR supporters on here 

I think you'll find a lot of us simply hate the tories with a passion. A big difference.

Edited by Herman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Herman said:

I think you'll a lot of us simply hate the tories with a passion. A big difference.

More precisely in many cases, this current incarnation of the Tories.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

More precisely in many cases, this current incarnation of the Tories.

Fair point.👍

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

Governments eventually become unpopular. Otherwise they would never change.

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

I was a member. Now I will not vote for them with SKS at the helm. The Greens are the only major left wing party now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

I have always been a Tory supporter, but I will be doing everything I can to vote the Tories out in the next election.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Gosh. I thought I was miserable in 2021, but now I realise how happy I was thanks to the revised figures.

It's all a bit of a nonsense really, isn't it? The idea that any government can add up the value of every single transaction and come up with a definitive figure is a bit daft.  And then to use this figure to judge how content a person is in life when it includes medical fees, lawyer bills and things to do damage to people and places makes is equally silly.

If people want to get super excited by gdp charts or cheer when the pound gets close to the mystical 'parity' that's all good, but really isn't what counts only the health and happiness of us and those we care about?

Lucky people.

https://www.itv.com/news/utv/2023-08-31/number-of-people-with-multiple-passports-in-england-and-wales-doubles-in-decade

There was a five-fold increase in people born in the UK holding both British and EU passports, the analysis of Census 2021 figures showed.

While the change has been partly driven by migration over the decade, with more people moving to the UK from the EU, it is also thought more people have taken up additional passports after Brexit, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said.

3 hours ago, Herman said:

Some genuine good news.

Having to pay a lot of money in, maybe Farage is giving the government a loan out of his EU pension.

• Haha 1