Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

Ooohh Hooky. We always had them. And access to food. Now we have them but no food.

Not really a good choice from the "grown ups", was it?

And as previously explained, nothing to do with Brexit.

Edited by Hook's-Walk-Canary

Even GB news is running a story implicating the effect of Brexit on food  supplies

"He added to Times Radio: “It’s really interesting that before Brexit we didn’t used to source anything, or very little, from Morocco but we’ve been forced to go further afield and now these climatic shocks becoming more prevalent have had a real impact on the food available on our shelves today.”"

Is it all Brexit's fault? No

Has Brexit made it worse? Yes

By how much? You choose....

3 hours ago, dj11 said:

You don’t need to register your mum, it’s just yourself. I have a check list and copies of everything needed. If you need any advice, just give me a shout. 

Is that still the case if she never registered her UK birth in Ireland and never took an Irish passport? I always thought I had to register her first then I could get myself on the Foreign Birth Register. 

On 23/02/2023 at 16:21, sonyc said:

I think we may as well get back to good old British fare and forget all the foreign food we eat - put it at least on the top shelf (thinking ratatouille, that weird pasta stuff, any french delicacies, Spanish specialities and so on) and get back to boiling those turnips (a good half hour). In fact I came across this rather brilliant chart. Anything from those top tiers for me. 

IMG_20230217_121626.jpg

Steak and kidney pie and black pudding not on the top tier? Bol-locks.

On 23/02/2023 at 08:24, littleyellowbirdie said:

It clearly is. Implementation of the agreement is a practical part of the outcome. Other than that it's irrelevant to the fact that the process of leaving the EU is over. On the EU's side, the agreement is fully implemented and the UK is being dealt with on the terms of our post-Brexit arrangements. You're in denial.

😂😂 I have no idea what you think I'm in denial of but I'm afraid that if you think I'm so deluded that I see the incredibly incompetent and very partial implementation of the Withdrawal agreement by the Tories as having any positive aspect whatsoever or that it makes our departure from the EU any less 'real' then you are even wider of the mark than usual.

It rather seems to me that is you that are in denial, as indeed you frequently are when presented with inconvenient facts which don't fit with whichever narrative you are trying to peddle at the time.

So waste your own time if you like, in a pointless argument over the semantics of Brexit, I shan't bother as it is blindingly obvious that your 'Brexit is done' line just isn't going to fly - not now nor any time soon.

3 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

😂😂 I have no idea what you think I'm in denial of but I'm afraid that if you think I'm so deluded that I see the incredibly incompetent and very partial implementation of the Withdrawal agreement by the Tories as having any positive aspect whatsoever or that it makes our departure from the EU any less 'real' then you are even wider of the mark than usual.

It rather seems to me that is you that are in denial, as indeed you frequently are when presented with inconvenient facts which don't fit with whichever narrative you are trying to peddle at the time.

So waste your own time if you like, in a pointless argument over the semantics of Brexit, I shan't bother as it is blindingly obvious that your 'Brexit is done' line just isn't going to fly - not now nor any time soon.

It's not just semantics; Brexit was the process of leaving the EU; we have left the EU. It's irrefutable fact for anyone who isn't deluding themselves.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Is that still the case if she never registered her UK birth in Ireland and never took an Irish passport? I always thought I had to register her first then I could get myself on the Foreign Birth Register. 

Sorry I read it wrong, I thought your mother was born in Ireland. As she is deceased, I don’t think you can now register her birth, so it would be grandparent’s for you, and you can’t give it to your children. I found it fascinating learning about my ancestors, and it was worth it just for that. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

I think people like you do real harm to the chances of getting relations between the UK and the EU on a sensible footing. Your stubborn rebuttal of things that are simply verifiable fact comes across as deranged.

Cudos for actually employing emojis to convey your hysteria though.

7 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I think people like you do real harm to the chances of getting relations between the UK and the EU on a sensible footing. Your stubborn rebuttal of things that are simply verifiable fact comes across as deranged.

Cudos for actually employing emojis to convey your hysteria though.

😂😂Thanks, although you need to work harder on your spellings.

50 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

😂😂Thanks, although you need to work harder on your spellings.

11 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

😂😂 I have no idea what you think I'm in denial of, but I'm afraid that if you think I'm so deluded that I see the incredibly incompetent and very partial implementation of the Withdrawal agreement by the Tories as having any positive aspect whatsoever or that it makes our departure from the EU any less 'real' then you are even wider of the mark than usual.

So waste your own time if you like, in a pointless argument over the semantics of Brexit. I shan't bother as it is blindingly obvious that your 'Brexit is done' line just isn't going to fly - not now nor any time soon.

Kudos rather than cudos. Well done. You must be feeling almost adequate after that bit oif cleverness on your part.

Something is either partial or it isn't; there's no such thing as 'very partial'. Also, a couple of instances of your poor punctuation you should work on, you sad little pedant.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dj11 said:

Sorry I read it wrong, I thought your mother was born in Ireland. As she is deceased, I don’t think you can now register her birth, so it would be grandparent’s for you, and you can’t give it to your children. I found it fascinating learning about my ancestors, and it was worth it just for that. 

My Mum was doing a lot of ancestry research, I've got a massive file if stuff I've only really skimmed through but will definitely pick up the baton at some point. There's some interesting stuff, I had an ancestor who played for Wrexham and Tranmere pre WW1.

I've got an interesting difference in lines as well as my Grandad was a Catholic from the South but my Grandma was of Protestant stock from the north. She was disowned by most of her family when she married a Catholic, and then converted later in life, getting baptised with my Auntie. Not so much on belief grounds, but because she wanted her whole family united behind one identity.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

There's some tough choices ineed --  Sovereignty, control of our foreign policy, borders, taxes and the ability to elect our government or the freedom to buy a tomato in winter?

Guess which one the grown ups choose, Herman?

Plenty of tomatoes in Aldi and Lidl btw.

This is a joke right? I don't know if your part of Norwich is different but where I live, we have always been a Sovereign state (Charles III), set our own foreign policy (why we invaded Iraq a second time),  set our own tax thresholds (its called the Budget) and I vote for Labour at the last GE in Camborne/Redruth.

All your statements come from the Nigel Farage Compendium of Lies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I'm always happy to post a positive Brexit story when I find one

Brexit benefits to ports

Good to see some businesses doing well

🙂

It does reinforce the point that the damage is already done and there's really no point trying to go back to simply being EU members at this point.

On 26/02/2023 at 08:48, littleyellowbirdie said:

Kudos rather than cudos. Well done. You must be feeling almost adequate after that bit oif cleverness on your part.

Something is either partial or it isn't; there's no such thing as 'very partial'. Also, a couple of instances of your poor punctuation you should work on, you sad little pedant.

😂😂 For someone who obviously considers themselves to be very clever you can be surprisingly clueless at times. There wasn't anything 'clever' about my response - it was a very gentle dig at you specifically intended to avoid descending to the level of your several obnoxious replies. Unsuccessful as it turns out since you managed to produce another belter 😀

But as you are too dim to work it out I will, just this once, tell you exactly what I was feeling at the time. I was feeling thankful that I am not a complete p**t like you with an overweening belief in my own infallability at all times on every subject and who treats anyone with the temerity to disagree with contempt.

Some time later I remembered, because in addition to the many other flaws you think you have observed in me I can be a bit slow on the uptake at times, that I reached this same conclusion about you two and a half years ago and stuck you on my 'Ignored Users' list as the best way of avoiding wasting a ridiculous amount of time on discussions with you that were always entirely unproductive and sometimes unpleasant.

What I can't remember was what error of judgement led me to 'un-ignore' you but it was clearly a very crass error especially as you seem to have so much more time on your hands nowadays, which you seem to be very happy to waste on here in petty and pointless bickering.

My situation is rather the reverse timewise, and as you are the biggest time waster on the board by some distance, I've put you back on my Ignored list (for good this time 😀) - I don't mind being insulted, don't particularly like it but hey, ho it happens and most of us learn how to deal with it. But I really, really resent people wasting my time and you, I'm afraid, are someone who seems to take pleasure in it, or maybe perverse satisfaction would be more accurate.

Edited by Creative Midfielder
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

😂😂 For someone who obviously considers themselves to be very clever you can be surprising clueless at times. There wasn't anything 'clever' about my response - it was a very gentle dig at you specifically intended to avoid descending to the level of your several obnoxious replies. Unsuccessful as it turns out since you managed to produce another belter 😀

But as you are too dim to work it out I will, just this once, tell you exactly what I was feeling at the time. I was feeling thankful that I am not a complete p**t like you with an overweening belief in my own infallability at all times on every subject and who treats anyone with the temerity to disagree with contempt.

Some time later I remembered, because in addition to the many other flaws you think you have observed in me I can be a bit slow on the uptake at times, that I reached this same conclusion about you two and a half years ago and stuck you on my 'Ignored Users' list as the best way of avoiding wasting a ridiculous amount of time on discussions with you that were always entirely unproductive and sometimes unpleasant.

What I can't remember was what error of judgement led me to 'un-ignore' you but it was clearly a very crass error especially as you seem to have so much more time on your hands nowadays, which you seem to be very happy to waste on here in petty and pointless bickering.

My situation is rather the reverse timewise, and as you are the biggest time waster on the board by some distance, I've put you back on my Ignored list (for good this time 😀) - I don't mind being insulted, don't particularly like it but hey, ho it happens and most of us learn how to deal with it. But I really, really resent people wasting my time and you, I'm afraid, are someone who seems to take pleasure in it, or maybe perverse satisfaction would be more accurate.

Read more like being a smart Alec over a spelling mistake to me in the absence of a worthwhile comment to make; best get your own house very thoroughly in order before playing that game.

You pepper your comments with laughing emojis every time you address me, clearly intended to be mocking whatever I'm saying without actually addressing what I'm saying. It's juvenile, irritating, and you obviously fully intend it to be irritating, so don't get all high and mighty if you get responses in kind, because you have no right to be.

By all means ignore me if you wish. To be honest, your claim that I consider myself clever strikes me as a bit of projection. Even your spelling dig is reminiscent of the very worst of remain campaigners who persisted in mocking less educated and privileged leave supporters rather than trying to be a bit more empathic with a view to trying to convince people. The problem is, if you choose to go that route with someone who is well educated then more than likely they will be happy to give as good as they get; apologies for not being stupid enough to be an easy target for your supercilious attitude.

Never will be a fan of Sunak but as this article argues he looks like he may have achieved something Johnson and Truss could never have achieved. Johnson has been a child again (speaking of "F*** Americans") and clearly he is motivated by spite. That's been the problem with him being anything but a convincing leader. 

As this piece argues, Sunak's governement is deeply flawed but he has acted with caution and good manners. It bodes well for future EU relations (Horizon a great example). That Labour will support this protocol (if announced today) also shows a maturity. Some things are very important and need statesmanship. 

Anyway, decent and balanced article here:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/rishi-sunak-northern-ireland-protocol-brexit-b2290309.html

• Like 3

Pragmatic, grown up and clever politics from Sunak by the looks of it. What the country has needed. I might even call him Rishi for a couple of days. 👍

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Never will be a fan of Sunak but as this article argues he looks like he may have achieved something Johnson and Truss could never have achieved. Johnson has been a child again (speaking of "F*** Americans") and clearly he is motivated by spite. That's been the problem with him being anything but a convincing leader. 

As this piece argues, Sunak's governement is deeply flawed but he has acted with caution and good manners. It bodes well for future EU relations (Horizon a great example). That Labour will support this protocol (if announced today) also shows a maturity. Some things are very important and need statesmanship. 

Anyway, decent and balanced article here:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/rishi-sunak-northern-ireland-protocol-brexit-b2290309.html

Johnson has a stated aim of being PM again, which is his motivation for rocking the boat. I suspect the ERG are egging on the DUP to be difficult for their own ambitions to wrestle back control of the Conservative party.

In fairness, the NI problem was never going to be resolved during the withdrawal process as it was too valuable to the EU as a lever on other issues as Barnier stated was the tactic. Now we're out of the EU and Brexit didn't prove to be an existential threat to the EU, the UK and EU have found a good faith solution that can actually work.

The ERG still wants power and this is its last gasp bid to wrestle back control of the party.

26 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The ERG still wants power and this is its last gasp bid to wrestle back control of the party.

Will be so glad if I never had to see or read about the ridiculous ERG. They are a toxic bunch and are fairly ridiculous come to think of it. So much so that they have been taken as seriously as they have. They gave Johnson his ticket. Johnson has no interest in the country except for himself. I've argued before that he is an 'eternal child ' and I've not moved from my assessment of him. It's not what the country needs. The ERG is a strange collection of folk who've had the Tory party over a barrell. And many folk in the country spout tosh uttered by these buffoons such as regaining our sovereignty. It has poisoned political discourse and trust in politics and even democracy itself.

• Like 2

Good deal Rishi. Finally the adults are in charge not the children and their tantrums . Seems like a good pragmatic deal to me and the start of the march back to sanity.

Let's hope the wreckers can now be put back in the hell hole of their own making and not heard of again.

• Like 2

DUP based on what has been said not happy with the deal and will look to the detail as you would to see if their is any substance.

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

Finally the adults are in charge

Yes, quite. Highlighted the imported bit for me. We have seen so few serious debates and arguments (it feels to me) over the past few years. Either we've observed a kind of over-egged triumphalism in ministers' words or deflection or worst of all, childish insults. Johnson and Truss guilty. Whilst Sunak often looks so pleased with himself (like the look of a child who has just built a big sand castle and wants to show you), he is probably quite a serious sort when it comes to relationships. And Von Der Leyen used the word "cooperation" a couple of times in her speech. That is SO European. And cooperation is what the world needs more than ever. In every sphere. It is why (I believe) in my heart I've been so dismayed by many politicians in our current administration. A poor quality perhaps. I so often felt politicians even in the pandemic were treating the public as fools.

Interesting now if Braverman decides not to quit (another example of a child in high public office) and whether the DUP manages to read something positive in the "legal texts" they keep talking about. As my Irish mother-in-law often says "they're a bitter lot".

To reconnect and have a new cooperation with the EU is very welcome. And I for one am pleased for such a positive (if small) step overall. 

More adults please!

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

Will be so glad if I never had to see or read about the ridiculous ERG. They are a toxic bunch and are fairly ridiculous come to think of it. So much so that they have been taken as seriously as they have. They gave Johnson his ticket. Johnson has no interest in the country except for himself. I've argued before that he is an 'eternal child ' and I've not moved from my assessment of him. It's not what the country needs. The ERG is a strange collection of folk who've had the Tory party over a barrell. And many folk in the country spout tosh uttered by these buffoons such as regaining our sovereignty. It has poisoned political discourse and trust in politics and even democracy itself.

I now wonder how far they will object to the third part of the agreement. Surely Labour will vote for it and make the ERG rebels irrelevant in the vote. Although I understand Sunak doesn't have to have a vote officially.

But there are now several members of that group in ministerial positions and knowing what a bunch of back stabbing but essential turtle turning creeps they are, they surely will vote with Sunak should there be one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Good news 

The long road to rejoining the EU starts with one small, but important step.😉