Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Sneaky Sods Sheffield Utd Losing Deliberately?

Just look at the line ups both Leeds and Sheff Utd have put out today as they are hardly recognisable but they probably said the same about us.

From their point of view, they wouldnt want a replay either and would probably prefer to play us at carrow rd on a saturday afternoon rather than a midweek.....and they probably dont have as many injuries as we have so are probably saying 'bring it on' on that date

There you go then....game on for the 26th and a pretty instense month coming up, the staff in the physio room have a fairly important role now...otherwise maybe a new recruit in the transfer market may need looking at??

35 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

They're not are they? Knowing that some of our key players may still be out injured if the game against them is played on Jan 26th.

As far as I understood it from Daniel's latest interview the only playing ( if we don't get new injuries) who will miss Blades on 26th is Leitner. Buendia was the other long term doubt but he said he'd be fit for Brum. Aarrons, Tettey & Superman will all be ok for WBA

Am I missing someone?

In a way all this hoping Sheff U would win so the game on the 26th would get put back to help out injury situation was a bit ridiculous, as before the original date Sheff might lose a key player etc. A replay for them and Leeds though wouldn’t have hurt.

23 minutes ago, Diane said:

As far as I understood it from Daniel's latest interview the only playing ( if we don't get new injuries) who will miss Blades on 26th is Leitner. Buendia was the other long term doubt but he said he'd be fit for Brum. Aarrons, Tettey & Superman will all be ok for WBA

Am I missing someone?

Back from injury or match fit and ready to go? 

I attended the Blunts v Barnet match today (tickets were cheap and not a lot else to do and I live a mile away) and the Blunts had 11 changed players starting when compared to last match, with 2 new signings in the 11.  and so it was no surprise that they were totally incohesive, looking for either the easy ball and thus not moving forward (passing back and sideways like us last season), or trying something not seen in other matches which met with confusion by their teammates.  And they had no pace whatsoever whereas Barnet had 3 or 4 Olympic sprinters in their side albeit with no real skill.  However their pace was key against players who between them, probably only two had played 90 minutes all season.  Despite 3 subs on, at least half the Blunts were out on their feet with 15 minutes to go!

So, was this deliberate?  Well Wilder never really got going like he does usually so my conclusion is that he wasn't really that bothered.  Sure he wanted to see what his fringe players could do, but to be frank, very few would trouble any team in the championship.  Whether this means Wilder gets to dip into the market more before we play them, well, I think that was his main aim from the match.  How do I know?  Well he's said as much down the pub over Xmas (we drink in the same pub).  He knows he only has a core of 12-13 good players, the rest can just do a job.  But he has no cash to play with whilst the Board continue to be hamstrung by two competing part owners.  It may be this match will change this so expect a very different approach when they arrive at the Carra.

• Like 1

Sheff Utd brought on talisman Sharp on 65 mins surely would not have done this unless trying to rescue the tie.  Just read Sheff Canary according to Sky Sports News Utd have already made two loan signings including Madine from Cardiff.

Shame we haven't got a bit more strength in depth really. With the exception of Passlack non of the fringe players who figured yesterday looked as they should be pushing for a 1st eleven start including Srbeny and Rhodes.

Anyway we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves as we need a minimum of 3 points out of WBA and Brum before Sheff Utd and with only 1 win in 5 that might be harder than we think.

13 minutes ago, pete said:

Sheff Utd brought on talisman Sharp on 65 mins surely would not have done this unless trying to rescue the tie.  Just read Sheff Canary according to Sky Sports News Utd have already made two loan signings including Madine from Cardiff.

Pete, I think Sharpe coming on realistically couldn't change things - he needs a good supply first and that wasn't coming from the players left on the pitch.  If they do sign Madine, it will be a difficult one for most of their fans to take as he is an ex-Wendy and slagged the Blunts off regularly when there as a player, including getting jailed for belting a couple of Blades fans on a night out!  Blunt fans can forgive some things but this would be a step too far.  Again it shows how little money Wilder has to resort to picking up a cheap player like Madine so again another move to get the board to loosen the purse strings?  If his debut is against us it will be a very strange atmosphere, but I can't see it happening.  But football is a strange game.....!

Thought Sheffield United were another of those "big" clubs with fanatical fans. Having watched the highlights can you imagine a cup tie with the Barclay empty.  No me neither.

I’m happy enough with how things have panned out; our injury bulletin for this game suggested that the only first-choice player out beyond Brum would be Leitner - if that’s the case and we pick up no more than minor injuries before the 26th, we will be surely faring fat better than most.  

37 minutes ago, Year of the tiger said:

Thought Sheffield United were another of those "big" clubs with fanatical fans. Having watched the highlights can you imagine a cup tie with the Barclay empty.  No me neither.

Attendance was 9906

23 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Attendance was 9906

Hugely embarrassing for them given only a tenner.  No organised chanting either, you only heard the Barnet fans.

Any chance of the game v Sheff U now been televised?

If its FA Cup weekend, Sky will have nothing on.

change of KO time, 12.30 or 5.30?

7 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Any chance of the game v Sheff U now been televised?

If its FA Cup weekend, Sky will have nothing on.

change of KO time, 12.30 or 5.30?

I don't love either, but 12:30 would be my preference.

3 hours ago, JF said:

Back from injury or match fit and ready to go? 

Match fit, he said Aarons & Tettey  & Superman will be fit for WBA game, Buendia should be in contention for the Brum game

1 hour ago, Diane said:

Match fit, he said Aarons & Tettey  & Superman will be fit for WBA game, Buendia should be in contention for the Brum game

Good stuff. Didn’t see the interview but obviously we desperately need them

It is what it is, let's get on with it, despite numerous challenges we're top two on merit. We've nothing to fear from Albion or Blades, bring it on. 

We seem to be getting a bit Little Ole Narwich here.

We are second in the League and not far off top ffs.

Why are we worrying about anyone else?