Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Krull

Cannot say I haven't been critical of Krul but you must be impressed by some of recent saves yesterday and Brentford.  I agree that he is value for the money paid and any other would have been prohibitive in terms of purchase and wages.  We need to find a way to counteract the pressing game as this will have been noticed by other teams.

Performance after players returning from injury impacted that performance.

But a draw to extend the run away was excellent need to keep it going at Leeds but more patients returning is good news just need to be in contention.

His distribution is normally very good so dont see the issue. He had small fullbacks to try and hit 50 yard passes too all game as we had no central option.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

His distribution is normally very good so dont see the issue. He had small fullbacks to try and hit 50 yard passes too all game as we had no central option.

He was aiming at Aarons from 25 yards and put it 10-15 yards over his head. More than once. That's not a "small fullback" issue. His distribution is usually good, but he has thrown it directly to opposition players several times this season. Not saying he is awful etc, but I don't see why it's not allowed to point out a string of mistakes. It doesn't diminish the saves he made yesterday, it's just part of a holistic picture and several times yesterday, Krul played us into trouble.

• Like 1

The guy makes a string of game-saving saves but as our resident scapegoat still gets it in the neck for a couple of wayward clearances.  Nice to see some ‘supporters’ supporting in their usual way!

18 minutes ago, kick it off said:

His distribution is usually good, but he has thrown it directly to opposition players several times this season.

Twice? 

31 minutes ago, kick it off said:

His distribution is usually good, but he has thrown it directly to opposition players several times this season.

Twice?

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

He was aiming at Aarons from 25 yards and put it 10-15 yards over his head. More than once. That's not a "small fullback" issue. His distribution is usually good, but he has thrown it directly to opposition players several times this season. Not saying he is awful etc, but I don't see why it's not allowed to point out a string of mistakes. It doesn't diminish the saves he made yesterday, it's just part of a holistic picture and several times yesterday, Krul played us into trouble.

You can point them out but where’s the numerous threads and constant criticism for Pukkis misses? He wins us games and points by scoring goals and so is forgiven for fluffing some chances. Krul has won us points from the saves he makes and is a great, experienced head behind a young back line, he deserves the same courtesy.

Jesus Christ - I have readily acknowledged his fantastic saves yesterday, which undoubtedly earned us a point. I've largely been incredibly supportive of Krul all season (except half time yesterday when I posted that he was a liability because he was in that first half) so the "scapegoating" nonsense can stop - maybe others but I haven't engaged in that (not sure how you scapegoat someone for not costing us any goals in a game we drew, where he was brilliant but there you go).

It's pathetic that you cannot mention any element of someone's game as a reasoned critique without being accused of scapegoating, think some people on here need to learn to read a little bit better.

I'm not tearing Krul apart here but it's ridiculous to rewrite his distribution yesterday as "small fullbacks" when Jamal Lewis is about 6 foot. It's legit if he missed Aarons by inches but he didn't it was yards and it was numerous times and often under no pressure. The WBA fans were "Wooooooooooaaaaahhhhhhh"ing every time he went to kick it after about 20 mins... He has had the same full backs most of the season and not had this issue, so it's just making excuses. 

Again, Krul was brilliant in 90% of elements of the game yesterday. He made 2 brilliant saves that earned us a point. I recognise and appreciate that entirely. His distribution was s*** yesterday though, lets not rewrite history because he made some outstanding saves. It isn't "scapegoating" to point that out, anymore than it is "scapegoating" to say Tettey has a habit of dribbling himself into trouble and giving the ball away. It's just a fact.

I'm pretty sure Krul himself would say his distribution was s*** yesterday. I'm pretty sure as a pro athlete he would also recognise he has strengths and weaknesses to his game, for example he is a fantastic shot stopper but often pushes the rebounds into dodgy areas which have cost us at least 4 or 5 goals this season. Not saying he is a bad keeper because of that either.

2 hours ago, kick it off said:

...nobody said its not allowed kio, it's just that the praise, when given is always qualified based on 'errors ' he was supposed to be making earlier in the season. 

50 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

You can point them out but where’s the numerous threads and constant criticism for Pukkis misses? He wins us games and points by scoring goals and so is forgiven for fluffing some chances. 

Don't disagree at all. If someone started a Pukki thread I would happily apply the same critique. Pukki is the joint top scorer in the league though and Krul is part of one of the poorer defences in terms of goals conceded I'd imagine so there is some context to be applied.

His distribution especially first half was shocking . I had to sit in the home end and they picked up this and went for him within the first ten minutes. Other than that he was awesome . 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

His distribution especially first half was shocking . I had to sit in the home end and they picked up this and went for him within the first ten minutes. Other than that he was awesome . 

Think you'll find that's scapegoating.... apparently.

You should be watching Spurs v Man Utd kick it off. One of the best keepers in the world has been regularly putting his clearances over the heads of his target and straight into touch, for much the same reasons as Krul. I'm sure there are plenty saying "his distribution is awful today". 

16 hours ago, kick it off said:

It's pathetic that you cannot mention any element of someone's game as a reasoned critique without being accused of scapegoating, think some people on here need to learn to read a little bit better.

This, 1000 times over.

So many people on this forum seem to regard anything other than fawning praise as heresy. 

23 hours ago, Otis62 said:

What’s the answer when goalkeepers are under pressure like that ? 

I presume it’s just more accurate kicking ?

I would suggest that trying to hit Aarons and Lewis was the answer in some way- West Brom put people on Zimmerman and Godfrey so plan b is a dinked 30 yard ball to Aarons or Lewis- unfortunately the execution wasn't good.

I guess the point is he has pretty much won us the draw today with some top saves. Yes his distribution was poor but in the grand scheme of things to concentrate on such an insignificant failing in the middle of a really good display is so unnecessary.

Well done for spotting it when most of us were just seeing the goods saves instead.

For me, the key thing is that he's improving. Yes his distribution wasn't great on Saturday, but he had very little to aim at. His shot stopping and reactions were first class, and ultimately that's the most important thing.

I don't think anyone would suggest he shouldn't be criticised considering the key errors he made previously in the season, but what I think is very amusing is when people overreact and forcefully suggest we need to replace him as soon as he shanks a few kicks into touch. If you make comments like that you can't expect to not be called out on it, but for me, the positives far outweigh the negatives with regards to what Krul brings to the team.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

I guess the point is he has pretty much won us the draw today with some top saves. Yes his distribution was poor but in the grand scheme of things to concentrate on such an insignificant failing in the middle of a really good display is so unnecessary.

Well done for spotting it when most of us were just seeing the goods saves instead.

Pretty much every post that has mentioned the distribution has also mentioned the really good saves he made...

11 minutes ago, Ian said:

but what I think is very amusing is when people overreact and forcefully suggest we need to replace him as soon as he shanks a few kicks into touch.

I mean, nobody has done that in this thread but you do you.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I mean, nobody has done that in this thread but you do you.

Very well spotted, your observational skills are really second to none. There are other threads on this forum though.

5 minutes ago, Ian said:

Very well spotted, your observational skills are really second to none. There are other threads on this forum though.

Well respond to them then. The points made on this thread have been pretty damn reasonable and I share KIO's sentiment that you can't even give a reasoned critique on players without someone claiming you're giving them stick or scapegoating them.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kick it off said:
18 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Think you'll find that's scapegoating.... apparently. 

No, it's not scapegoating, but it's over the top.  Clearly Krul is under instructions to throw it out from the back where possible, with only kicking upfield occasionally - that is the way we play - from the back.  That West Brom will have identified that they needed to try and make this as difficult as possible for him is not a surprise - and they did not go for him because he was having problems - they went for him because that was the tactic they were always going to use. 

Surely everyone agrees his distribution wasn't great on Saturday? However maybe it's identifying the reasons that were the case .

44 minutes ago, king canary said:

Well respond to them then. The points made on this thread have been pretty damn reasonable and I share KIO's sentiment that you can't even give a reasoned critique on players without someone claiming you're giving them stick or scapegoating them.

Apologies if you're a rightfully elected member of the Pinkun Forum Police, but this thread clearly refers to "previous criticism", to which I gave an example. Perhaps you should follow your own advice and point out where on this thread anybody says you can't give a "reasoned critique" on players without it being scapegoating?

What I can actually see is people who either judged way too early, or went massively over the top in the heat of the moment, now trying to claw it back and deflect away rather than just holding their hands up and saying it was a misjudged comment. Still, that's entirely up to them, but don't insult peoples' intelligence by suggesting that most people don't tolerate reasoned criticism of the current squad.

Its a sure bet that most teams will now look to press us to prevent us from passing out from the back. Leeds did exactly that v FL's Derby on Friday night and really disrupted them, making Derby look very ineffective (Leeds looked v good too).  As has been said, without Stiepermann, we don't have a tall player up field who can win headers from a long kick by Krul.  Inevitably, that means he'll try other areas of the pitch with his kicking (i.e. the wings), which can result in the ball going out of play if he's not accurate 100% of the time.  That makes it more important to win the second ball from the long kick if we don't win the header from the centre back.

On 13/01/2019 at 09:53, Fiery Zac said:

Strange (or maybe not) how some players just cannot escape criticism or be forgiven for an error early in the season after months of not playing regularly.

21 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

The guy makes a string of game-saving saves but as our resident scapegoat still gets it in the neck for a couple of wayward clearances.  Nice to see some ‘supporters’ supporting in their usual way!

Both of these are in response to some mild criticism of his distribution included in posts that heavily praised his saves and contribution elsewhere. 

Really?  I see no problem with my comment - the guy wasn’t far off being our man of the match but there’s still (as much if not more) focus on the bad points (even in the annoying ‘pointers from the game’ article on this site).  IMO it is unnecessary - particularly if you look at our/WBA tactics being part of the reason - but he’s become the resident scapegoat so it just seems that it is par for the course. 

Constructive criticism is fine but some on here and many on social media are unable to articulate that without hammering players unnecessarily and this can quickly become a pattern and turn into scapegoatism. Some of this is a lack of understanding in Krul’s case that he hadn’t played regularly for a good while and has taken a few months to get back into that groove which he had for Newcastle and Holland. 

Players can and should be praised and/or criticised for performances but too many people go way over the top which does nobody any good.