Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Krull

Criticism valid definitely. For anyone. But the keeper needs a bit of leeway. His mistakes are the most costly.

Krul has played well this season and today was magnificent. His errors were made up for today alone.

And a poster on the other thread said he wasn’t very good (in general) - top drawer today behind a patched up team, could be a vital point come May 👍

29 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Criticism valid definitely. For anyone. But the keeper needs a bit of leeway. His mistakes are the most costly.

Krul has played well this season and today was magnificent. His errors were made up for today alone.

He was indeed MOM today for the first time this season and, also for the first time, his display won us a point - he hasn't played well "this season" though and we need a better option on the bench to at least keep him on his game.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Was excellent today no doubt.

Doesn't mean the previous criticism was invalid.

The previous level of criticism was certainly invalid. As I’ve said on other threads, no one goes on about the mistakes other players have made (quite rightly) as much as has been made of Kruls. 

A top keeper in this league and has shown it. Deserved more support from the start of the season but the criticism only got worse until recently when, with the whole team wobbling he has had to pull off some top saves to keep us in games.

• Like 1

He needed a run of first team football to bed in and try to attain his previous levels after a couple of years out. The immediate criticism / scapegoating is typical of many negative posters on this and most other forums. Anyone with a few brain cells would have given him a few games before publicising their opinions. It is fair to say that he wasn't great early this season but has steadily improved. Also, the fact he had more shots to save yesterday than is usual means he had more opportunities to shine.

• Like 1

Great to see this thread. He's a very decent bloke. Before the Forest game he was chatting with a little lad at the front of the stand, the lad had a big beam on his face:  before the Derby game Tim came staraight over to him again, prior to his warm up and gave him a pair of his gloves, he had remembered from the week before......good PR I know but he didnt need to have done it, or may have forgotten. It wasnt a big showey display, just a kind jesture before the game when not many people were around to see. Top man.

• Like 3

I think that since so many first choice players have been injured Krul has been more exposed. He has definitely got better and made some fantastic saves. Long may it continue 

The highlights of today’s game on Sky show more superb saves by Krul that helped win the point.

His seemingly growing confidence will be crucial in the coming months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was right in line behind that shot he saved towards the end and even from the far end you could see it was a cracker aimed for the bottom corner at pace. Not many keepers could have saved that. Anyone who thinks Krul is slow to get down should see that on the highlights.

overall I thought the game was even and a draw was fair, both sides had chances to win. An away point at the team just below us is a good result.

• Like 1

Outstanding saves and really kept us in the game. Some poor distribution but made more difficult for him by the way WBA were pushing so high up the field. Most keepers are a mixed bag and you have to take the rough with the smooth, in his case the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Was critical of him at half time - he was utterly kamikaze in the first half. Kicking for touch may have been the game plan but there were numerous occassions where he was clearly aiming for Aarons and sailed it 10 yard over Max's head. That said, he really redeemed himself in the second half - in my head it was 2-1 when the WBa player fired that shot in injury time - how he got to that is ridiculous but I actually think the one at the start of the second half was even better. Either way though, as I say, he really redeemed himself with his shot stopping - lesser keepers would have conceded one if not both of those. Doesn't excuse him literally looking directly at the WBA player and throwing the ball directly to him at chest height, but you have to give the guy an awful lot of credit - he had a rough first half, picked himself up and had an absolute belter of a second (kicking aside).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Outstanding saves and really kept us in the game. Some poor distribution but made more difficult for him by the way WBA were pushing so high up the field. Most keepers are a mixed bag and you have to take the rough with the smooth, in his case the positives far outweigh the negatives.

.... and he's still getting grudging praise from those who criticized him earlier, pointing out that despite his recent performances they're more than entitled to keep reminding us of all the 'errors ' he made while we were racing up the table. Of course now that we're struggling with injuries and finding points harder to come by, he's stepping up and earning his share of points to add to our tally. Perhaps a little balance, giving credit where it's due, without the caveat that he owes us based on performances earlier in the season. 

He literally made 3 or 4 individual errors which barely cost us at the start of the season having not played much football but has regularly been good for us this season.

As always, it takes a few exceptional displays for some fans to ever come around. Bizarre but its the way it is. 

On 01/01/2019 at 18:36, sgncfc said:

He was indeed MOM today for the first time this season and, also for the first time, his display won us a point - he hasn't played well "this season" though and we need a better option on the bench to at least keep him on his game.

He hasnt played well this season? Are you sure about that?

Let's be a bit realistic here. He needs to improve his distribution quite a bit which is why he's keeping goal for us and not a premiership side. His kicking today was dreadful at times, frustratingly so, and at one point he threw the ball straight out to a WBA player which could have been fatal. That part of his game needs to improve... the bread and butter part... but yes, as a shot stopper, he's up there with the best in this league. Yesterday he saved us and should be applauded for that.

Edited by Michael Starr

I read earlier that it was difficult for him to distribute the ball because West Brom were pushing up so high, is this how others saw it who went to the match ? 

2 minutes ago, Otis62 said:

I read earlier that it was difficult for him to distribute the ball because West Brom were pushing up so high, is this how others saw it who went to the match ? 

They did but we need a plan b in those situations- I think I counted 5 times he just kicked it out for a throw in and one throw directly to a West Brom attacker.

However I have no doubt we'd have lost if it wasn't for some of the saves he made. I'd rather have him making saves and struggling with distribution than the other way round.

What’s the answer when goalkeepers are under pressure like that ? 

I presume it’s just more accurate kicking ?

Other than the throw late on against Millwall when we chasing a win and yesterday, I can’t remember ever thinking his distribution is poor. I’m at every home game and some away and he’s as good/poor as any gk I’ve seen playing us. Why the need to turn the first half of yesterday into a major issue with his game (‘bread and butter’!!) that needs sorting out?

Strange (or maybe not) how some players just cannot escape criticism or be forgiven for an error early in the season after months of not playing regularly.

We simply couldn’t have got a better goalkeeper for this level, with his amount of experience, on a free!

Other than the throw late on against Millwall when we chasing a win and yesterday, I can’t remember ever thinking his distribution is poor. I’m at every home game and some away and he’s as good/poor as any gk I’ve seen playing us. Why the need to turn the first half of yesterday into a major issue with his game (‘bread and butter’!!) that needs sorting out?

Strange (or maybe not) how some players just cannot escape criticism or be forgiven for an error early in the season after months of not playing regularly.

We simply couldn’t have got a better goalkeeper for this level, with his amount of experience, on a free!

Totally agree, as I said before on here it was going to take a while for him to get back to previous form after all that time out through injury. 

There’s no denying his distribution was very poor yesterday. But is was tough as WBA pressurised us so well. It was so frustrating seeing short pass to Zimmermann, him pressured so returning it to Krul who then lumped it a mile over Arrons head. Happened repeatedly. Partly Krulls fault but being generous didn’t have th Stiepermann alternative and the coaching team need to work on alternatives. The throw to the WBA player was ludicrous and all in the crowd could see it wouldn’t work and Krul himself did a double take before going ahead.

I also wonder what the dynamics are like between him and the defence? Couple of times he appeared to be balling out Godfrey and it seemed a bit unnecessary. But who knows, might have been encouragement. I also have no idea what he got so angry about at end. When he got yellow card and then did a lot of time wasting he risked getting sent off.

BUT having said all that, none of the mistakes led to a goal and he made at least 2 or 3 game saving saves. I think he is a genuinely good keeper but unusually, for a keeper, he is a bit short of confidence so an error and pressure play on his mind.