Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

I'm not sure what I think about stories in songs but this one works because of the weight of the lyrics and way the voice interprets it. A mix of Billy Bragg's conscience / sensibility and the angelic voice of Colin Blunstone.

The opening line "With the money from the accident she bought herself a mobile home" is an unusual one for a pop song (which is really what this is) but it takes you straight into the darker heart of it.

The album is ok but rather MOR for my taste - but this is my favourite because you can imagine / picture the woman in it. Quite a skill I think and makes it successful.

Any other stories in songs out there people might recommend worth a listen ...for the power of the lyric?

On 19/03/2022 at 11:53, sonyc said:

I'm not sure what I think about stories in songs but this one works because of the weight of the lyrics and way the voice interprets it. A mix of Billy Bragg's conscience / sensibility and the angelic voice of Colin Blunstone.

The opening line "With the money from the accident she bought herself a mobile home" is an unusual one for a pop song (which is really what this is) but it takes you straight into the darker heart of it.

The album is ok but rather MOR for my taste - but this is my favourite because you can imagine / picture the woman in it. Quite a skill I think and makes it successful.

Any other stories in songs out there people might recommend worth a listen ...for the power of the lyric?

I've just started watching The Terror, about the Franklin Expedition. Very darkly atmospheric! I knew the song and the story from Pentangle's version decades ago, but have just come across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf99GoY9PiQ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

I've just started watching The Terror, about the Franklin Expedition. Very darkly atmospheric! I knew the song and the story from Pentangle's version decades ago, but have just come across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf99GoY9PiQ

Gosh that brings back memories. They are older than me too! Good on them.

I started getting into music at a very young age (collecting Judith Durham ...my first crush ☺️ and The Seekers records) but recall similarly Pentangle. You'll remember this I'm sure. Lead singer Jackie Mcshee is still gigging!

As for John Renbourn, I saw him in Leeds with a bloke called Isaac Guillory.

Anyway, thanks for sharing PC. Edited out the notes on my ageism.

Edited by sonyc

Brilliant series/serial. Jared Harris really is a top actor and has a remarkable menace for such a softly spoken man.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Is that our Todd at 3.45?

Nice one KG. Enjoyed that. ...and yes to TC..... but also that bloke is the spitting image of my eldest (hair and colour). Yes, he has a hippy vibe too (and likes the other Todd we both most admire). 

Edited by sonyc

This has been on before but after hearing it for the first time in ages I thought it should be brought out again. Very minimal but rather nice.

Even if not a big classical fan I think you can appreciate the guitar playing on this piece.

If you listen carefully you can hear why this band is one of the most revered of the 60s. So ahead of their time. Perhaps the drumming isn't the best but the guitars make a great sound for early 1965. and the stand alone bass just atmospheric.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

If you listen carefully you can hear why this band is one of the most revered of the 60s. So ahead of their time. Perhaps the drumming isn't the best but the guitars make a great sound for early 1965. and the stand alone bass just atmospheric.

For ages I didn’t realise this was the Kinks, sounded more like the Byrds to me. A great song.

Picking at Next warehouse Enderby, Leicestershire. Knew I was walking out after one week but this song made me smile as they played music on a loop. 

Its late Saturday night. Earlier, we’ve been relegated. You pour a glass of something strong and look for something to sum up how you feel and find the coolest bluesiest thing ever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tonight. I'm mainly listening to a frog playing the banjo. Singing the same song about rainbows. Over and over. In his defense it is a good song.

IMG_20220502_174623223.jpg

• Haha 1