The conveyor belt of fine goalkeeping talent continues at Colney with the signing of a 1 year contract for Billy Johnson.

A prototype modern goalkeeper, tall and rangy with two good feet, a cool head and a willingness to engage in the play in terms of providing an out option and via good communication.

In addition Johnson is intelligent and with a thoroughly decent character. Exactly the kind of player and person the new structure is designed to discover and develop.

Parma
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Came through CSF programme. Hope he plays on Friday night. We have signed a lot of youngsters from other clubs but Billy could really be "one of our own".

Great news...........let''s hope he''s pushing Angus Gunn for the England goalkeeper position in the not-too-distant-future

On the evidence of Krul''s recent performances we could do worse than put him straight in on Sunday.
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Delighted to see Billy get MoM in his debut for the U23s yesterday.

An excellent prospect.

Parma

You’re Billy’s dad and I claim £5

• Like 2

Are we though? Apart from Angus who will have done a significant part of his development at Citeh, who else has gone on to be properly successful? There have been plenty of recent(ish) prospects who looked good through yellow and green glasses but went on to be barely championship quality st best.

I was at the game last night and Billy played really well despite the fact we lost 0-3. He made a couple of good saves through being quick off his line, showed good distribution from hands and feet with good positive decision making. I'm loving his progress because he came from the CSF football and education programme. A bit about him here : -

https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2018/august/billy-johnson-signing/

I'm guessing he played in such a big game because John McCracken went to Tampa. But he certainly took his opportunity with a great performance.

On 15/11/2018 at 22:09, Nuff Said said:

Are we though? Apart from Angus who will have done a significant part of his development at Citeh, who else has gone on to be properly successful? There have been plenty of recent(ish) prospects who looked good through yellow and green glasses but went on to be barely championship quality st best.

That's not quite correct on two accounts.

Firstly it is a bit of a wild hope to expect all our youngsters to be of Premier League standard. Many go on to have a decent career in the lower divisions and many we sell for a few hundred thousands.

Not just keepers either. I recall recently Drew Broughton,for example,  being mentioned on here as a failure. He did look the part at first but when his City career floundered he went on to make a decent career of it in the lower divisions. We got £100,000 for him in 1998 money.This sort of player  keeps the academy coffers flowing, whilst not bringing in millions. 

Secondly and as far as 'keeper go we have had Marshall who seems to have been quite well regarded (at Coventry and elsewhere,) and also Declan Rudd who has shined at PNE and I wouldn't mind back here as back up Krul next season.

Then there's Jed Steer, although I seem to remember was plucked by Villa for free (?)

What about Robert Green? You mentioned only Angus Gunn, but in all we have a very strong history of excellent 'keepers, both established and youth, from the days of Keelan before and after.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Gunn is he actually getting in the first team? At 24 he’s now at an age where he should be first choice.

If he’s not getting games, he’d be a great buy, cheeky little 8 million bid? I know they paid around 14 million, but no point in having him sitting on the bench!

7 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

That's not quite correct on two accounts.

Firstly it is a bit of a wild hope to expect all our youngsters to be of Premier League standard. Many go on to have a decent career in the lower divisions and many we sell for a few hundred thousands....

Wow, that post was nearly two years ago. Our academy looks very different now, I feel 100 times more positive about it.

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Wow, that post was nearly two years ago. Our academy looks very different now, I feel 100 times more positive about it.

OOps! Didn't notice that.

My point still stands though? Eh?

I align with your positivity.

We are in the shadows of our impoverished neighbours who have produced

errr.............. one keeper back in 2005 (Price), and pretty much no one for a long while before that

which would beg the question of why have they been so poor ?

9 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

OOps! Didn't notice that.

My point still stands though? Eh?

I align with your positivity.

Agreed, although you’re looking at results over a fairly long period (I.e. Marshall). I’m not sure what the return on our investment in the academy was over the ten years before Webber joined but I doubt it delivered much if any return.

9 minutes ago, Bill said:

We are in the shadows of our impoverished neighbours who have produced

errr.............. one keeper back in 2005 (Price), and pretty much no one for a long while before that

which would beg the question of why have they been so poor ?

But Bill (and I only found this out while we were self destructing against Burnley) Nick Pope used to be a Tractor Boy before they let him go. They let, possibly the best performing keeper in the league today, go, for free (he was just a kid). It does warm my heart that he never did it for them, but as I have witnessed, good kids are rejected on the basis of their build at the age of 10 from our own academy - and I'm talking about good players. I hope that has changed in recent years.

19 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Agreed, although you’re looking at results over a fairly long period (I.e. Marshall). I’m not sure what the return on our investment in the academy was over the ten years before Webber joined but I doubt it delivered much if any return.

When did we acquire Academy 1.status, because before the establishment of these academies with rules, expenses and grants every club's approach to youth differed remarkably from that of today.

The upgrade of Colney, the input into schools and everywhere, even in deepest Suffolk  (to the dismay of the binners,) the overall care (education?) and the general expertise put into development both in footballing and personal terms  has gathered apace in recent years. Add to this a scouting system targeting the most promising of youngsters from the lower leagues and elsewhere and it all adds up to the fact that we have become an attractive proposition for youth development. The proof is in the pudding.

NCFC are one of the twenty or so clubs with Academy 1. status. Along with our secured support it amounts to our major achievement/strength over the past few years and the reason that we will be amongst the winners next season.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

I see Billy made his pro debut last night for Stevenage in the EFL Trophy . They lost 3-2 at home to MKDons , but Billy got MOTM !
My youngest used to play for Beccles U18 and Billy would sometimes turn out for them . 
Dead chuffed for the local lad ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure as someone with the depth of knowledge about the game as Parma is backing him we can expect this young lad to become a goalkeeper on the same level as Yashin, Banks or Buffon.

Edited by Iwans Big Toe
  • Haha 1