Sign in to follow this  
king canary

OT- Alastair Cook

Retiring from International Cricket after the 5th test.

One of the best English batsman in my lifetime. Got tickets for the test so look forward to giving him the send off he deserves.

A true great of the game.

The poor form of the last 12 months won''t alter the fact he''s arguably the greatest batsman to play for England.

His test runs record will stand for years.

Indeed a true great, have to say great timing too, as after this 12 months his value will start to be questioned so going out at the top before being dropped.

Great miss for England, can’t see any replacements out there.

A great player and a person that will be missed. I''m glad he has chosen to retire now though, as it has been painful watching his decline.I hope he gets a great send off.

Loads of runs although I’ve never really enjoyed watching him bat - that’s not to say that he hasn’t been exceptionally good - because he has. I always liked watching Stewart or Thorpe or Pietersen although you’d probably rather have a Cook or an Atherton digging in under pressure.

Fantastic test record though, huge amount of runs and seems like a decent bloke.

Bet he’d get on with Russell Martin.

I used to enjoy his Letter from America
sadly they ended when he died
(though the Proclaimers did try to revive the idea)

Top, top cricketer... I don''t think we will see the like of him in years to come...

Test cricket is not "sexy" enough any more , I love it , but most don''t have the patience for it I feel.

I hope he can be a mentor to some young lads like Gooch was for him... atm our top order batting line up is real cr@p outside of Cooky and Root...

As a team we''ve got too many big hitting number 6 players and nobody with the grit to dig in. Cook used to be that guy but his form has tailed off.

I don''t watch enough county cricket to have any idea about replacements though.

Needs a few more runs to become 5th top runscorer. Good luck to him.
I also enjoy a bit of test match cricket, but not being a die hard I know little about who is coming through. It does look like we will be going to Sri Lanka needing to replace him and Jennings.

The reality is he could keep playing because with my albeit limited knowledge I dont see too many obvious replacements.

Hoggy, he absolutely could. Yet he has decided that his heart ain’t in it any more. It surprises me a bit because the test arena is his domain. He isn’t going to go and demand big figures in the IPL or Big Bash like KP because he doesn’t have that explosive nature. He is though, a very good technical batter. He could do the future England players the world of good if he shares his knowledge and technique.

Replacements =  Roy Burns , James Vince or Joe Denly all need a chance to prove themselves.

Rory Burns

Read

more:

https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/04/four-players-who-could-replace-alastair-cook-as-england-hero-prepares-to-retire-7913044/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

Rory Burns

Read

more:

https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/04/four-players-who-could-replace-alastair-cook-as-england-hero-prepares-to-retire-7913044/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

Bizarre way to get it, but the ton is up!

4 overthrows, wow...

In years to come that''ll make a good quiz question - who scored a test century on the first test appearance and again in their last test appearance.

Wonder if anyone else has managed it?

oh dear
India chasing 460 or so to win
have just lost their first two wickets .... for 1 run
stop press
they have score another ....... but lost another wicket !
2 runs  3 out

I don''t know what the commentators/ex players have against Cook. They never seem able to complement his achievements without a little dig. The highest scoring English Batsman ever tells me they should pretty much shut up. Going to be a big miss in the top order.

They have mentioned it on sky 3 other men have got a century in their first and last innings . I doubt if anyone has a 50 in his first innings and 100 in his second innings on both his debut and last match 

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]They have mentioned it on sky 3 other men have got a century in their first and last innings . I doubt if anyone has a 50 in his first innings and 100 in his second innings on both his debut and last match 
[/quote]
I''m watching the highlights on 5.
I thought they said it was 5 players who had got a hundred in their first and last match but didn''t name them.
Apparently Cook and Bruce Mitchell of South Africa (who he?) got a 50 in each innings of their first and last test matches. But yeah, I''d imagine 50 + 100 in both is unique.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]I don''t know what the commentators/ex players have against Cook. They never seem able to complement his achievements without a little dig. The highest scoring English Batsman ever tells me they should pretty much shut up. Going to be a big miss in the top order.[/quote]

??

Didn’t hear any digs. On sky, all the commentators were gushing with praise for Cook (quite rightly).

Nasser Hussain (the best pundit on Sky) called him ‘probably England’s greatest ever batsman’. Quite right, it’s debatable because of whether people judge the greatest as the most consistent and important of their time which Cook (as an opener) undoubtedly has been or whether they judge the greatest to be the most entertaining to watch such as Gower or Pieterson.

[quote user="Fiery Zac"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"]I don''t know what the commentators/ex players have against Cook. They never seem able to complement his achievements without a little dig. The highest scoring English Batsman ever tells me they should pretty much shut up. Going to be a big miss in the top order.[/quote]

??

Didn’t hear any digs. On sky, all the commentators were gushing with praise for Cook (quite rightly).

Nasser Hussain (the best pundit on Sky) called him ‘probably England’s greatest ever batsman’. Quite right, it’s debatable because of whether people judge the greatest as the most consistent and important of their time which Cook (as an opener) undoubtedly has been or whether they judge the greatest to be the most entertaining to watch such as Gower or Pieterson.[/quote]

That''s the same Nasser that in the same breath this afternoon as praising him said he wouldn''t teach a young player his technique. Yesterday he said he had been "found out".

[quote user="Fiery Zac"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"]I don''t know what the commentators/ex players have against Cook. They never seem able to complement his achievements without a little dig. The highest scoring English Batsman ever tells me they should pretty much shut up. Going to be a big miss in the top order.[/quote]

??

Nasser Hussain (the best pundit on Sky) called him ‘probably England’s greatest ever batsman’. Quite right, it’s debatable because of whether people judge the greatest as the most consistent and important of their time which Cook (as an opener) undoubtedly has been or whether they judge the greatest to be the most entertaining to watch such as Gower or Pieterson.[/quote]
If he said that then that is absurd. Modern test batsmen tend to have superficially impressive or at least inflated records because they generally play on better wickets than in the past and get some cheap runs against inferior opponents. Just as an opener, Cook would be well behind Hobbs, Sutcliffe and Hutton, who all had much better averages (which is the real mark of talent, rather than runs scored) despite coping with bad wickets and only playing against the best.

The five to have scored a 100 in their debut test and their last are.
REG DUFF (AUSSI)
WILL POLSFORD (AUSSIE)
GREG CHAPPELL (AUSSIE)
MOHD AZHARUDDIN (INDIA)
And the person I watched today do it AL COOK. It was a privilege to be there.