Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

Joey Barton...

I read the coverage of this in the EDP this morning and found myself nodding in agreement with Barton''s comments about how betting has become synonymous with football to such an extent that every Sky game is littered with betting adverts / sponsorship.

Then when I turned TalkSport on this morning, they''d obviously been talking about it. Mick Quinn said something like "I know we''re not condoning/pushing gambling, but I wonder what the odds are on X scoring for Man U in the derby tonight?" Alan Brazil then pipes up: "Great stuff Mickey, after the break we''ll have [insert name] from XXX betting company".

He has no excuse for the sheer number and longevity of his addiction, but I do see where he''s coming from.

[quote user="JF"]It''s an obvious case of punishing the player, Had this been a unknown fleetwood town player the punishment would have been far less severe.[/quote]I think this is true to some extent but Barton''s problem is he''s got so much previous as a serial '' wrong-un '' that it was bound to influence the outcome.That may be wrong and an appeal on that basis might succeed but morally he''s had it coming for years.

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]I cant believe he''s the only professional footballer who likes a bet.[/quote]

They''re allowed to gamble, just not on football, there''s plenty of other ways to lose your money to a bookie, cassino etc.

Can''t say I feel sorry for him - knew it was wrong but did it anyway. Pretty much like everything else in his career...

......or addicted to booze, sex, drugs, haribo, magnum ice lollies, Abba, 24/7 Pink Un forum......Anyone? Anyone?........Anyone?......

Whilst I don''t feel much sympathy to a man like Barton I think the point he has made around betting around football is very true. I think i saw a tweet from hucks saying similar this morning.

I have had my problems with gambling and find it very hard to watch a premier league game without wanting to have a punt, Ray Winston popping up every advert break telling me i can bet in play now etc does make it harder for people like me to enjoy the game. Its everywhere, even splashed all over the Barclay!

The question for me is why can betting companies advertise freely, but alcohol and cigarettes are banned. They are all addictions to different people.

Player bet beacuase they have loads of dosh, live away from home and sit around all day getting bored.

Hard life eh?

The people comparing the severity of the ban to, say biting someone, are missing the point slightly. The problem with gambling is that it can threaten the fundamental integrity of the game and is rife for abuse concerning match/spot fixing whereas biting someone is just scumbag behaviour which hurts...

cornish sam wrote the following post at 27/04/2017 4:03 PM:

The people comparing the severity of the ban to, say biting someone, are missing the point slightly. The problem with gambling is that it can threaten the fundamental integrity of the ggame and is rife for abuse concerning match/spot fixing whereas biting someone is just scumbag behaviour which hurts...

The fa made clear that There was no allegation of Barton doing any wrong in the way of match fixing. The games where he bet against his team, he wasn''t in the match day squad. The bet he had when he was in the team was £3 for him to be the first goal scorer!

JF, I know that, however the sanctions and rules regarding gambling are in place for that reason, the fact that Barton wasn''t gambling on his own matches (and pi55 poor amounts) is neither here nor there....

If he were gambling to profit from in the know knowledge or any hint of match fixing I''d agree. As it is he has placed bets for the purpose that he enjoys having a bet. I fail to see how this could be anymore serious than the England players that gambled between each other losing 10s of thousands of pounds. I dislike the bloke as much as anyone, but for me it''s the name that has been punished rather than the crime here

He states that some of the nets against his own team were in games where he''d been dropped and it was his way of expressing his anger at being dropped-weird but almost understandable!

Would he be able to play abroad? Could we have Joey Barton goes to Japan? Perhaps the A-League in Australia

I''ve said this before, if Barton signed for us I wouldn''t go.

Barton is a convicted criminal who''s proven crimes were despicable. Barton is a compulsive liar, a victim, and never wrong. Go on tube and watch some of his moments and you see a man convincing himself that he has done nothing wrong . In particular watch him punch Pedersen - then follow the tape to see him telling everyone he used an open hand.

Barton beats people up as they lay on the ground and stubs cigars out in youth team players eyes.

When confronted he becomes a victim. A man with "demons" - used more than once in his defence. Now, with the Gambling , he immediately (or rather his well paid legal team) tries to deflect the issue by blaming the Premier League for having too many betting ads. The FA are "forcing" him to retire. Here we go again Joey, it isn''t your fault mate is it?

He has fallen out with every manager, lies about his conduct, and continually blames his team mates

And just to cap it all, the Media (including the BBC - tax payers money and all that) keep paying him to talk cobblers on the radio! Why? the pseudo intellectual bit is laughable. (ever heard some his views on Religion ?, he struggled to even understand the Celtic/ Rangers )

Barton is a disgrace of a human being.