Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Squad Numbers.

Nobody has got a squad number as none of them are good enough and the club couldn''t afford them anyway as the wallets empty

Alex,

I overheard a lady in the club shop on Sat tell someone who wanted a number on their shirt that they would be released early this week, so shouldn''t be long to wait

So that''s the reason we''re holding up the arrival of McCormack, Frank - it''s that fine balance between giving Fulham the straight up £15mil and deciding which squad member will be treated to printed shirts 😉

Cheers Diane, appreciate the info 👍

Looks like the squad numbers are up on the official site, with just a few more to be announced.

http://mobile.canaries.co.uk/team/

Well spotted Hoola Han Solo - though what made me think it''s partially correct is that there''s no RvW and they''ve included the likes of Canos and Maddison (though admittedly they''ve not been given numbers yet). It''s certainly been recently updated though, that''s for sure.

If the preseason numbers are anything to go but it looks like there could be a few changes:

Olsson 3, Klose 4, Bennett 15, Dorrans 16, Pinto 18, Vadis 23, Jacob 25, Josh 26, Maddison 28, Toffolo 31, Canos had 9 but I can''t see that being his final number so who knows.

So, with the Championship starting today(!), I take it we''ve abandoned squad numbers this season then? 😉

Looks like most will have their old numbers, and there will be a few gaps, but I thought they had to be registered with the football league before the season starts ? and new signings pick up whatever is left during the remainder of the window.... obviously works differently.

Funny old thing, squad numbers, creates an impression of an order of worth of the players.  To prevent the impression of a heirachy at the the club, squad numbers ought to be done alphabetically, then there is no notion that one player is better than another.  ie - take the number 1 and whichever goalie you give it to, it is going to create the impression he has more about him than the goalie who has the squad number 2.  Simply removing the impression of elite members of the squad is bound to have a good effect on the squad as a whole. Andrue number one, Whittaker number 25.  No problem, no favouritism, no heirachy, just a squad of 25 players, all vying for the first team.  

I understand where you''re coming from LDC but numbers such as 9, 10, 11 etc go hand in hand with certain positions, have done for many years, and for that reason I don''t think it''ll ever change though it''s a nice idea 👍

That''s what I thought too, G - that''s why I''m a little puzzled with a day to go till kick off nothing''s been mentioned? But... I''m wondering if with Brady and Olsson likely to leave, and a centre forward coming in etc, that this week was perhaps expecting to see more movement then there was, and they''ve just got a little caught out finalising the squad numbering - I can sort of see why it''s hard to allocate Olsson''s and Brady''s numbers etc.

There was an interesting articles on the BBC about squad numbers I saw yesterday, detailing a team who once gave their squad numbers on an alphabetical basis. Bet that was a good one for the OCD sufferers!

Based on logic from previous years and that it''s unlikely existing players would switch numbers now (due to marketing and what not) I imagine it''ll look something like this;

1 Ruddy

2 Whitaker

5 Martin

6 Bassong

7 Naismith

8 Howson

10 Jerome

12 Brady

13 McGovern

14 Hoolahan

16 Jarvis

17 Klose

18 Dorrans

19 Lafferty

20 Andreu

21 Mulumbu

23 Olsson

24 Bennett

25 Pinto

26 Turner

27 Tettey

28 Vadis

So we need to allocate numbers to;

Jones

Godfrey

Maddison

McGrandles

Pritchard

Canos

Morris

and both Murphy''s

Yeah, it was Argentina in the 1982 world cup, so Ossie Ardiles was number 1 for example... That was for every player other than Maradona who had to have the number 10 shirt.

You''d think with Klose being first choice central defender, he''d now get 3 or 4 now? Or is he a ''superstitious'' footballer?

Timm Klose confirmed the other day he is 15 this season, as opposed to 17 last season. Also, all his tweets have #tk15 on them.

Squad numbers are an odd little thing in football where an awful lot can be read into something so trivial, rightly or wrongly.

The ''First XI'' will always have something read into it, as will any player that is higher than 25 and players that take unusual numbers for their position, like Morison when he first signed.

I imagine it a PR move by the club- firstly, as we would no doubt see nobody on #9 and starting rabidly baying for a striker, and secondly, because it will potentially give another little kick in shirt sales when fans can get proper names and numbers.

Having said all that, it''ll be announced today. Sod''s Law.

If we were to allocate the squad numbers in the ''correct'' way, we''d get something like this:1 Ruddy2 Pinto3 Olsson4 Bassong5 Klose6 Tettey7 Canos8 Howson910 Hoolahan11 Pritchard12 Martin13 McGovern14 Jarvis15 Bennett16 Thompson17 Jacob Murphy18 Naismith19 Whittaker20 Jerome21 Toffolo22 Maddison23 Dorrans24 Jones25 Mulumbu26 Josh Murphy27 Morris28 Lafferty29 McGrandles30 Andreu31 Turner32 GodfreyWith the gap at 9 for our new main striker

Hoolahan has literally always been number 14 and you''ve got him as number 10 #goodjob

[quote user="Buh"]Hoolahan has literally always been number 14 and you''ve got him as number 10 #goodjob[/quote]That''s because they''ve been listed in order of how the theoretically ''should'' be allocated, rather than how they have been.Something I clearly stated with the opening sentence...

A lady in the Club Shop merchandise hut on Saturday, explained to a parent that the numbers hadn''t been released yet, to avoid a "Bradley Johnson situation" referring to last year when there were a few grumbles that he had been sold , late on, and kids (and adults!) had his name on their Number 4 shirt. By that logic, we won''t hear anything until 1st September.

1 - John Ruddy

2 - Steven Whittaker

3 - Martin Olsson

4 - Graham Dorrans

5 - Russell Martin

6 - Sebastien Bassong

7 - Steven Naismith

8 - Jonny Howson

10 - Cameron Jerome

11 - Matt Jarvis

12 - Robbie Brady

13 - Paul Jones