Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Naismith's got to go

[quote user="Redders Right Foot"]An opinion is neither correct or wrong. It''s an opinion, not a fact. Always irks me when people have the arrogance that they have a "correct" opinion.[/quote]Especially when their opinions are based on ''facts'' such as: "Facts are Naismith was abysmal last season so my opinion was correct."

Feedthewolf wrote the following post at 2016-08-08 8:11 PM:

Redders Right Foot wrote:

An opinion is neither correct or wrong. It''s an opinion, not a fact. Always irks me when people have the arrogance that they have a "correct" opinion.

Especially when their opinions are based on ''facts'' such as: "Facts are Naismith was abysmal last season so my opinion was correct."

Your opinion is not fact! And the fact is that Naismith was certainly man of the match v Blackburn, but I don''t suppose for one minute you were there to form an opinion. But the fact is, he was!

[quote user="king canary"]Yes it is. I don''t think I ever said you shouldn''t or weren''t allowed to post anything. But putting your opinion out there means people are going to criticise it, especially if it is pretty ridiculous.

Don''t get all precious because people called your stupid comments stupid. Most rational fans know not to take much from pre season and certainly don''t demand players be dropped for not putting in enough effort for them.

Fairly simple really.[/quote]

Most rational fans also know i am referring more to Naismiths performances last season rather than the one friendly.

Is it not a fact that Naismith was poor last season?

Is that not a true account of events? ie a fact?

Either way he was excellent v Blackburn so long may that continue, and yes I was wrong and am happy that I was. I dont like not liking players, I want to cheer for Naismith so I hope it continues.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Is it not a fact that Naismith was poor last season?

Is that not a true account of events? ie a fact?

Either way he was excellent v Blackburn so long may that continue, and yes I was wrong and am happy that I was. I dont like not liking players, I want to cheer for Naismith so I hope it continues.[/quote]No it''s not a fact, it''s your opinion. It''s my opinion too, and I would imagine most other fans'' opinion also. It''s certainly not a fact that he was ''abysmal'', which is what you said. You really need to work on this concept, it''s quite important.

Perhaps someone can actually clarify at what point an opinion can officially become a fact?Is it a simple majority? 70%? 85%? 100%????But even that doesn''t hold up, because even if 100% of people said that 2+2 = 9, that doesn''t make it a fact, it just makes it a globally shared, factually incorrect, and frankly ridiculous opinion...

In the OPs defence, Naismith looked really good against a Championship side many predict to struggle. He hardly looked good in the PL which was the division he was purchased in, and presumably with the intent of keeping us in by scoring and creating goals.

So yes great if he tears up the Championship, but if we go back up does he then become another one of our players who are too good for the Champs and not good enough for the PL?

I don''t think he has to go but he has to prove his worth. Saturday was the start.

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]In the OPs defence, Naismith looked really good against a Championship side many predict to struggle. He hardly looked good in the PL which was the division he was purchased in, and presumably with the intent of keeping us in by scoring and creating goals.

So yes great if he tears up the Championship, but if we go back up does he then become another one of our players who are too good for the Champs and not good enough for the PL?

I don''t think he has to go but he has to prove his worth. Saturday was the start.[/quote]

Finally a sensible and pertinent response rather than arguing the toss over the definition of the word fact.

''Fact'' is Naismith was very poor last season and still has a lot to prove. Excellent saturday so hopefully that will continue, and yes Blackburn were terrible so lets not get carried away.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]''Fact'' is Naismith was very poor last season and still has a lot to prove.[/quote]No, that''s an opinion.

The argument about what constitutes a fact is asinine. There are many many instances of an widely held opinion being considered factual.

A widely held opinion of Norwich fans is that Naismith did not perform very well last season. Fact.

[quote user="Hank shoots Skyler"]This isn''t arguing it''s just contradiction[/quote]Is this the five-minute argument or the whole half-hour?

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]That''s a fact in your opinion. In my opinion it isn''t.[/quote]

Then your opinion is wrong.

And, no, it doesn''t matter that your year 10 teacher told you that opinions can never be wrong. They can be, and quite often are.

Kirku,

Opinions always prove you right, to you, so if in your opinion opinions can be wrong, and quite often are, then you are of course proving yourself right to you. Whether you are proving your opinion right to anyone else depends on their opinion, a point you have made quite succinctly, in my opinion.

If you think Naismith performed well you are expressing something factually wrong, not an opinion. The fact that you may still believe that Naismith played well does not move your misconception into the realm of valid opinion. Nor does the fact that others share this opinion give it any more validity.

Face it lads, he wasnt as good last season as we''d hoped he''d be..

He''s looking sharp so far this season.

Happy days.

I accept that it''s entirely unproductive to get bogged down in semantics here, and I accept that it''s a fair assumption to say that we can agree Naismith was poor last season. My annoyance was with the OP''s reliance upon dubious ''facts'' to try and back up his increasingly outspoken and unpopular opinions.Let''s leave it there and hope that Naismith can continue his positive start to the season.

Whether anyone thinks Naismith performed well is neither here nor there as the validity of an opinion has nothing to do with the number of people sharing the opinion, as it is of course 100% valid to the person holding it. So Kirku is correct, it doesn''t matter how many people share an opinion it cannot gain anymore validity as it is already 100% valid to someone, even if they are in a minority of 1.

post at 09/08/2016 7:22 AM:

What is the definition of ''poor''?

Unable to afford a 60inch tv?

Just to throw a little fuel to the fire, Naismith wasn''t "poor" last season, he was inconsistant. There is quite a difference.

He showed glimpses of his ability but he wasn''t properly fit IMHO.

He was fantastic against Liverpool - one of the outstanding performers.

That said, there are few players that were not inconsistant in the latter stages of the season, so do you attribute that to individual players or the collective?

It isn''t really about facts vs opinions or how you think he played last season.

It''s about the fact that getting so annoyed about a performance in a FRIENDLY that someone starts a thread saying he''s ''got to go.''

That is whats ridiculous.

[quote user="Ali K"]post at 09/08/2016 7:22 AM:

What is the definition of ''poor''?

Unable to afford a 60inch tv?[/quote]This reminded me of Grefstad [:D]

Interesting – if we can recoup what we paid for him (or even a bit more) then it wouldn''t be bad business. If he''s offered an opportunity to play for Moyes in the Premier League on (presumably) higher wages then I can''t imagine he wouldn''t be interested in that.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"]Interesting – if we can recoup what we paid for him (or even a bit more) then it wouldn''t be bad business. If he''s offered an opportunity to play for Moyes in the Premier League on (presumably) higher wages then I can''t imagine he wouldn''t be interested in that.[/quote]Agreed.Re-couping Naismith''s fee would also cover the cost of the Pritchard signing, and thus potentially giving us even greater funds to find the elusive striker or two we''re all desperate for!

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Feedthewolf"]Interesting – if we can recoup what we paid for him (or even a bit more) then it wouldn''t be bad business. If he''s offered an opportunity to play for Moyes in the Premier League on (presumably) higher wages then I can''t imagine he wouldn''t be interested in that.[/quote]Agreed.Re-couping Naismith''s fee would also cover the cost of the Pritchard signing, and thus potentially giving us even greater funds to find the elusive striker or two we''re all desperate for![/quote]Plus more game time for Canos, Maddison and the Murphy twins to blossom... win-win. The more I think about this, the more I think it would be excellent for everyone involved.