Sign in to follow this  
Tilt

Five Questions That Need Answering

Firstly, a quick introduction: If you boil it down to the most basic of emotions I support this club and watch them every week because I want to be entertained. Isn’t that why so many people up and down the country support clubs and pay increasingly large amounts to watch them week in and week out? You put up with the nadirs such as the loss to Colchester and celebrate the highs of promotion. Throughout this you believe that one day the club can challenge for something. It may seem fantastical at times but don’t all supporters secretly wish to see their club walk out at a cup final? So when that elusive promotion happens and you finally make it to the top league, that dream gets ever so slightly closer... more money to improve facilities, better coaches and above all better players. And perhaps that’s why I am so disappointed by this window; I want my club to sign someone whose name I can get – even as an adult – on the back of my shirt: a player that can inspire both teammates and fans and get us to that cup final.

If we’ve reached the Premier League with our finances in fairly good shape and we still cannot go out and sign a few players who will excite fans then when can we? Is this not our best chance in years to make a few decent signings? Perhaps we can even afford another RvW...a player who infused the fans with giddy expectation when he arrived but who turned out to be an flop. If that happened again at least the fans could get really excited about someone for a season and if all failed the board could say “Well, we tried a gamble and unfortunately it didn’t work” – and who would blame them?

Fans have every right to ask questions of the board and in particular McNally and this Lee Darnborough gentleman. Unfortunately there are very few ways to do this other than at the AGM as we have a placid local press whose main article on the transfer window (now gracing the front page of this website) is a mundane list of in and outs. If I was in charge of the sports desk there would be reporters outside every entrance of the ground trying to doorstep the chief executive and ask him what went wrong and whether he was satisfied. But I’m not so I have to make do with asking questions on a message-board.

1. What is our transfer policy?

I ask because from the outside there seemed to be absolutely no coherent plan. We publically announced a few targets, other clubs confirmed bids; we seemed to be chasing dozens of players without any strategy. Bids that were put in were ridiculed and embarrassingly low and the ping-ponging between different players with a bid here, a bid there suggested no strategy. As a player already with another club I hardly think that knowing I was number 8 on Norwich’s list was going to inspire me to up sticks and come. Bradley Johnson has hinted he was courted for a while by Derby...were we doing that to players? If so, how come not a single one came off?

2. Why sell Bradley?

I just cannot work this out. It’s weakened the team as no replacement has come in and we got a fairly mediocre price for him. He’s our player of season and we sold him...not to a better club...but to one in the league below! How does that look for the outside? But above all...if we get relegated it’s just such an easy stick with which to beat the manager and the board. It makes no sense given the gain is so low.

3. Why so many loans?

While we all agree it’s great to have Neil Adams in his new position, farming out so many players on loan and not replacing them is ludicrous. If we were going to bring in so few players why get rid of so many? I find myself wondering whether I’d rather have Ryan Jarvis come on as a sub in a game we’re losing or instead VOO / one of the Murphys. I think I’d go for the latter as at least there’s the hunger of youth and the whispered possibility of something exciting.

4. Why do players not want to come here?

Something must be wrong. Of course we’ll struggle this season but isn’t it a great chance to shine in the biggest league in Europe? Why have we only managed to attract one average loan player and an out-of-favour striker from a Ukrainian club who was (by his own admission) desperate to play in England? Why did Bradley hint in his video that he knew dropping down to the league he just got out of was such an easy decision.

5. Why is the club so poor at communication?

Unhappy with speculation? Put out a statement. Fans getting nervous? Put out a statement. Rumours of discontent? Put out a statement. Just sold your player of the season to a team in the league below? PUT OUT A STATEMENT. You have a media team whose sole job appears to have been to make two little graphics, one which said “Welcome Mbokani” and one which said “Welcome Ryan Jarvis”. To be fair so many names were bandied around they probably had 40 or so made up which would have taken time.

So to conclude, I am bitterly disappointed that upon reaching the Premier League we haven’t (for me) signed a player of the calibre I think we could have with more careful planning and realistic bids. It’s especially galling given that others have around us appear to have strengthened their squads . The way this whole window (as well as the Grabban situation) has been handled reeks of amateurism. The club’s communications have been non-existent. We’ve flitted between multiple strikers with no coherent plan and have been publically accused of putting in laughable bids.

We go again in a fortnight’s time with a thin squad bereft of backup in key areas. Our Chief Executive and Head of Recruitment should provide an answer...for their own sake as opposed to anything else because come May, if we’re relegated, people are going to be pointing fingers at a lot decisions made since that day at Wembley.

All this angst on the board is not good to see, my advice is simple - Do not worry about something you have no control over and accept relegation now, this will unburden you and enable you to enjoy the rest of the season, if we stay up imagine the joy, if we go down well you have already dealt with that particular issue.

I have accepted relegation and am now looking forward to enjoying te rest of the season, and I will continue to support NCFC and be at CR (and the occasional away game) for as long as I am able, regardless of the division we are in, being happy and philosophical is so easy, being angry, upset etc is such hard work, is bad for you and gives you lines and wrinkles.........

"I have accepted relegation and am now looking forward to enjoying te rest of the season, and I will continue to support NCFC and be at CR (and the occasional away game) for as long as I am able, regardless of the division we are in, "

And there it is folks right there in a nutshell - the above is the exact reason the Board of Directors can, have and will get away with absolute murder - they know all will be forgiven and forgotten pretty quickly by the majority of our happy clappy fan base. Pathetic.

1. Make bid for players and hope that our bid is better than other clubs. If not, that''s just tough.2. Bradley is a super championship player, but wouldn''t have featured much this season when everyone is fit. Good business.3. A loan is the next best thing to a transfer in. A whole season loan is just like buying a player on a one year contract, that''s all.4. Players do want to come here, otherwise we wouldn''t have to be thinking of getting some out because the squad is too big. We have brought in six players since last season.5. Whatever the club says, it either won''t be believed or it will just be opening itself up to more hysteria.  The manager gives press conferences - he can and will do any talking that is necessary.

As for this - "I want my club to sign someone whose name I can get – even as an adult –

on the back of my shirt: a player that can inspire both teammates and

fans and get us to that cup final."

Mbokani. Have a look on you tube. Could be a beast.

I agree. A club promoted twice in recent years and awash with cash from such performance cannot reasonably expect its fanbase to write the season off and hope for the best.

An outlay of just over £3 million when all our relegation competitors spend over £20million DEMANDS an explanation. Not least when, unlike them, we were here not long ago.

The silence from the board is deafening. Why were we so miserly or else incapable of performing professionally in line with where we are this season. If Bournemouth can attract players then we should be able to do so to.

Far from good enough. Heads should roll. Answers must be given.

i think our transfer policy is more coherent than your rant

I ask because from the outside there seemed to be absolutely no coherent plan. We publically announced a few targets, other clubs confirmed bids; we seemed to be chasing dozens of players without any strategy. Bids that were put in were ridiculed and embarrassingly low and the ping-ponging between different players with a bid here, a bid there suggested no strategy. As a player already with another club I hardly think that knowing I was number 8 on Norwich’s list was going to inspire me to up sticks and come. Bradley Johnson has hinted he was courted for a while by Derby...were we doing that to players? If so, how come not a single one came off?

WB - the transfer strategy is based upon the managers perception of what positions need strengthening. The club are not going to share that with our rivals, supporters or others. Our approach, in terms of announcing transfer targets or working in the background depends on the target. We clearly set out to destabilise Robbie Brady and Hull with public announcements etc, others needed a different approach

2. Why sell Bradley?

I just cannot work this out. It’s weakened the team as no replacement has come in and we got a fairly mediocre price for him. He’s our player of season and we sold him...not to a better club...but to one in the league below! How does that look for the outside? But above all...if we get relegated it’s just such an easy stick with which to beat the manager and the board. It makes no sense given the gain is so low.

WB - Mulumbu is a replacement for Johnson. Personally I wouldnt have let him go but i understand the rationale

3. Why so many loans?

While we all agree it’s great to have Neil Adams in his new position, farming out so many players on loan and not replacing them is ludicrous. If we were going to bring in so few players why get rid of so many? I find myself wondering whether I’d rather have Ryan Jarvis come on as a sub in a game we’re losing or instead VOO / one of the Murphys. I think I’d go for the latter as at least there’s the hunger of youth and the whispered possibility of something exciting.

WB - i believe the net position was 2 players out from an already huge squad. The Prem has a squad limit so these players almost have to go on loan

Ryan Jarvis? Christ i definitely wouldnt want to see him coming on ha ha?

Something must be wrong. Of course we’ll struggle this season but isn’t it a great chance to shine in the biggest league in Europe? Why have we only managed to attract one average loan player and an out-of-favour striker from a Ukrainian club who was (by his own admission) desperate to play in England? Why did Bradley hint in his video that he knew dropping down to the league he just got out of was such an easy decision.

WB - Clubs like Norwich have massive relegation clauses to drop wages in case of relegation and a likelihood of that makes it difficult to attract top talent

Unhappy with speculation? Put out a statement. Fans getting nervous? Put out a statement. Rumours of discontent? Put out a statement. Just sold your player of the season to a team in the league below? PUT OUT A STATEMENT. You have a media team whose sole job appears to have been to make two little graphics, one which said “Welcome Mbokani” and one which said “Welcome Ryan Jarvis”. To be fair so many names were bandied around they probably had 40 or so made up which would have taken time.

WB - how many organisations send out a statement every time a customer is upset about something? There is a perceived strength in sticking true to a course despite other pant wetters claiming the sky is falling

Excellent post, with points well made.

So many questionable issues have arisen over the past few weeks.

For example, Bristol City (on 11th August) agreed a £6m fee for Dwight Gayle, only for a potential deal to fall through. On deadline day, after weeks of speculation, we apparently go in with an £8m bid and offer the player a 4 year deal - only for it to fall through. We refuse to sell a player unwilling to represent our club, despite having an offer in excess of £5m on the table. We offload 2 other strikers (on loan) in Morris & Wolfswinkel, whilst trying to also arrange the exit of Hooper on loan to Wednesday, or to Fulham, where (last we heard) he underwent a medical. We bring in one out-of-favour 29 year old striker from war-torn Ukraine, on loan. Last season''s player of the year Johnson, an experienced premier league player reaching his peak, is told he is no longer wanted and a transfer to an ambitious championship club is arranged, no adequate replacement deemed necessary. We had 5 centre backs present in our squad upon promotion (Bassong, Turner, Bennett, Cuelar, & Miquel), we deem it necessary to reduce this pool of natural central defenders - despite wasting a considerable amount of time and effort pusuing one or two unrealistic central defensive targets. The goalkeeping department appears to have been downgraded also. We have 2 right backs at the club and feel it necessary to bring in another, with an expensive loan fee and wages involved - little or no concern for the left back position, and now look very light on our left side.

i think our transfer policy is more coherent than your rant

WB - the transfer strategy is based upon the managers perception of what positions need strengthening. The club are not going to share that with our rivals, supporters or others. Our approach, in terms of announcing transfer targets or working in the background depends on the target. We clearly set out to destabilise Robbie Brady and Hull with public announcements etc, others needed a different approach

2. Why sell Bradley?

WB - Mulumbu is a replacement for Johnson. Personally I wouldnt have let him go but i understand the rationale

3. Why so many loans?

WB - i believe the net position was 2 players out from an already huge squad. The Prem has a squad limit so these players almost have to go on loan

Ryan Jarvis? Christ i definitely wouldnt want to see him coming on ha ha?

WB - Clubs like Norwich have massive relegation clauses to drop wages in case of relegation and a likelihood of that makes it difficult to attract top talent

WB - how many organisations send out a statement every time a customer is upset about something? There is a perceived strength in sticking true to a course despite other pant wetters claiming the sky is falling

I was angry and upset but I have dealt with that and moved on as I have absolutely no control over what happens at NCFC or any other team when it comes to transfer dealings, I have no problems with you wanting to pigeon hole me Ruthers as I am comfortable and happy with who I am.

If anybody can provide an answer as to how I can individually exert control over the transfer dealings of NCFC then I am all ears, please take into account that I cannot afford to buy NCFC so that option is out of the window. I could decide not to renew my ST, but that would just be cutting my nose off to spite my face, so answers on how I can exert control over all thing NCFC please........

[quote user="DEBnever forgotten"]

For example, Bristol City (on 11th August) agreed a £6m fee for Dwight Gayle, only for a potential deal to fall through. On deadline day, after weeks of speculation, we apparently go in with an £8m bid and offer the player a 4 year deal - only for it to fall through. We refuse to sell a player unwilling to represent our club, despite having an offer in excess of £5m on the table. We offload 2 other strikers (on loan) in Morris & Wolfswinkel, whilst trying to also arrange the exit of Hooper on loan to Wednesday, or to Fulham, where (last we heard) he underwent a medical. We bring in one out-of-favour 29 year old striker from war-torn Ukraine, on loan. Last season''s player of the year Johnson, an experienced premier league player reaching his peak, is told he is no longer wanted and a transfer to an ambitious championship club is arranged, no adequate replacement deemed necessary. We had 5 centre backs present in our squad upon promotion (Bassong, Turner, Bennett, Cuelar, & Miquel), we deem it necessary to reduce this pool of natural central defenders - despite wasting a considerable amount of time and effort pusuing one or two unrealistic central defensive targets. The goalkeeping department appears to have been downgraded also. We have 2 right backs at the club and feel it necessary to bring in another, with an expensive loan fee and wages involved - little or no concern for the left back position, and now look very light on our left side.

[/quote]

There is so much wrong with that post, I don''t know where to start.  A one eyed perspective, if ever I saw one. 

I can answer one or two of the questions:

1) Transfer policy. Allegedly the manager makes the decision and McN does the negotiating, unless the target visits CR. So the targets are the manager''s.

2) Why sell Bradley? Because he is not quite PL standard, and we find ourselves with so many central midfielders that he was not really going to get many games, (- the reason that Andreu, Vardis and the Murphy lads are out on loan.) Bradley is a whole-hearted and committed player, but leave aside his goals and his contribution is fairly limited.)

3) Why so many loans? This is partly a reflection of the lending club - they want the player to be available in the future, perhaps after developing further. For us it is surely that they are cheaper, usually, than buying, and we can send them back if things do not work out. I think that the Prudence policy makes too little provision for expensive purchase, and after RvW it may be right.

4) Why won''t they come? Our wage structure is low by PL standards, Norwich is remote from the bright lights, our future uncertain. Will that do?

5) Poor communication. Other clubs and agent like to give away news of our interest, to provoke other clubs, but we have always tried to keep quiet what we are doing to avoid other clubs scuppering our chances. If we are told in advance, then journalists and other clubs will know. In fairness to AN, when asked a question he has regularly indicated interest and dismissed nonsense.

"I have accepted relegation and am now looking forward to enjoying the rest of the season, and I will continue to support NCFC and be at CR"

So you''ve effectively thrown the towel in then? That''s not supporting the team in any way. Maybe you should give your season ticket to someone who has faith in their team.

One of the most embarrassing things I''ve read on the site today, and that''s saying something.

you say we sold Bradley because he wasnt PL standard? Thats BS..if that were the case we would be selling the whole squad bar Redmond, Brady and possibly Wes...because the rest are trash if you compare them to other PL teams

I have faith in Alex Neil WHF, I have accepted relegation could happen which means I can enjoy the rest of the seaon unburdened and unfettered by angst and imagine the feeling of happiness if we stay up. It is interesting that my statement makes me both a quitter and a happy clapper!!. The truth is that I have supported NCFC for a number of years and hopefully will support them for many more years to come, I get angry and upset with NCFC from time to time, but what is the point of carrying it on, I have no control over decisions made, believe you me if I had any sirt of influence or control I would have exerted it.

If I was to use a word or phrase to describe my approach it would be "pragmatic"................

[quote user="Tilt"]Firstly, a quick introduction: If you boil it down to the most basic of emotions I support this club and watch them every week because I want to be entertained. Isn’t that why so many people up and down the country support clubs and pay increasingly large amounts to watch them week in and week out? You put up with the nadirs such as the loss to Colchester and celebrate the highs of promotion. Throughout this you believe that one day the club can challenge for something. It may seem fantastical at times but don’t all supporters secretly wish to see their club walk out at a cup final? So when that elusive promotion happens and you finally make it to the top league, that dream gets ever so slightly closer... more money to improve facilities, better coaches and above all better players. And perhaps that’s why I am so disappointed by this window; I want my club to sign someone whose name I can get – even as an adult – on the back of my shirt: a player that can inspire both teammates and fans and get us to that cup final.

If we’ve reached the Premier League with our finances in fairly good shape and we still cannot go out and sign a few players who will excite fans then when can we? Is this not our best chance in years to make a few decent signings? Perhaps we can even afford another RvW...a player who infused the fans with giddy expectation when he arrived but who turned out to be an flop. If that happened again at least the fans could get really excited about someone for a season and if all failed the board could say “Well, we tried a gamble and unfortunately it didn’t work” – and who would blame them?

Fans have every right to ask questions of the board and in particular McNally and this Lee Darnborough gentleman. Unfortunately there are very few ways to do this other than at the AGM as we have a placid local press whose main article on the transfer window (now gracing the front page of this website) is a mundane list of in and outs. If I was in charge of the sports desk there would be reporters outside every entrance of the ground trying to doorstep the chief executive and ask him what went wrong and whether he was satisfied. But I’m not so I have to make do with asking questions on a message-board.

2. Why sell Bradley?

I just cannot work this out. It’s weakened the team as no replacement has come in and we got a fairly mediocre price for him.
He’s our player of season and we sold him...not to a better club...but to one in the league below! How does that look for the outside? But above all...if we get relegated it’s just such an easy stick with which to beat the manager and the board. It makes no sense given the gain is so low.

3. Why so many loans?

So to conclude, I am bitterly disappointed that upon reaching the Premier League we haven’t (for me) signed a player of the calibre I think we could have with more careful planning and realistic bids. It’s especially galling given that others have around us appear to have strengthened their squads . The way this whole window (as well as the Grabban situation) has been handled reeks of amateurism. The club’s communications have been non-existent. We’ve flitted between multiple strikers with no coherent plan and have been publically accused of putting in laughable bids.

We go again in a fortnight’s time with a thin squad bereft of backup in key areas. Our Chief Executive and Head of Recruitment should provide an answer...for their own sake as opposed to anything else because come May, if we’re relegated, people are going to be pointing fingers at a lot decisions made since that day at Wembley.[/quote]We have replaced Johnson, at some expense, with no fewer than four players. Dorrans and Mulumbu  in central midfield, and Brady and Jarvis on the left-hand side. Why do you think he wasn''t getting in the starting eleven this season?

lake district canary wrote the following post at 02/09/2015 8:08 PM:

DEBnever forgotten wrote:

For example, Bristol City (on 11th August) agreed a £6m fee for Dwight Gayle, only for a potential deal to fall through. On deadline day, after weeks of speculation, we apparently go in with an £8m bid and offer the player a 4 year deal - only for it to fall through. We refuse to sell a player unwilling to represent our club, despite having an offer in excess of £5m on the table. We offload 2 other strikers (on loan) in Morris & Wolfswinkel, whilst trying to also arrange the exit of Hooper on loan to Wednesday, or to Fulham, where (last we heard) he underwent a medical. We bring in one out-of-favour 29 year old striker from war-torn Ukraine, on loan. Last season''s player of the year Johnson, an experienced premier league player reaching his peak, is told he is no longer wanted and a transfer to an ambitious championship club is arranged, no adequate replacement deemed necessary. We had 5 centre backs present in our squad upon promotion (Bassong, Turner, Bennett, Cuelar, & Miquel), we deem it necessary to reduce this pool of natural central defenders - despite wasting a considerable amount of time and effort pusuing one or two unrealistic central defensive targets. The goalkeeping department appears to have been downgraded also. We have 2 right backs at the club and feel it necessary to bring in another, with an expensive loan fee and wages involved - little or no concern for the left back position, and now look very light on our left side.

There is so much wrong with that post, I don''t know where to start. A one eyed perspective, if ever I saw one.

No ldc, theres absolutely nothing wrong with that post and its pretty much the questions on a lot of supporters lips.

Please do take the time to explain just where in the post there is much wrong.

[quote user="HertsCanary93"]He started the first game and has appeared in every game so far this season. I just don''t buy that he left for first team football.[/quote]I have no idea why in his mind Johnson left. I was pointing out that, contrary to the claims of several posters here, including the OP, he had been replaced not once but four times. Bear in mind that for the first four games only one of those replacements, Dorrans, was available, and yet Johnson was still not sure of a starting berth.After the international break we will have not just Dorrans available (with Mulumbu getting there) but Brady and Jarvis to play left-sided. If Johnson only got one start when we only had Dorrans to be picked ahead of him how many was he going to get once the other replacements were available?We had an unbalanced midfield, with too many in the centre and too few on the wings. That imbalance has been corrected.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="HertsCanary93"]He started the first game and has appeared in every game so far this season. I just don''t buy that he left for first team football.[/quote]I have no idea why in his mind Johnson left. I was pointing out that, contrary to the claims of several posters here, including the OP, he had been replaced not once but four times. Bear in mind that for the first four games only one of those replacements, Dorrans, was available, and yet Johnson was still not sure of a starting berth.After the international break we will have not just Dorrans available (with Mulumbu getting there) but Brady and Jarvis to play left-sided. If Johnson only got one start when we only had Dorrans to be picked ahead of him how many was he going to get once the other replacements were available?We had an unbalanced midfield, with too many in the centre and too few on the wings. That imbalance has been corrected.[/quote]I can only conclude Purple, that in your sun drenched tax haven you''ve spent far too long out of the shade.Not a problem that we have here in rainy old Norwich.

LDC WROTE:

There is so much wrong with that post, I don''t know where to start. A one eyed perspective, if ever I saw one.

You LDC, remarking about a ''one eyed perspective'' - the man who defended Hughton to the enthusiasm degree - until he was sacked! Now you are having a laugh!

I don''t buy this BJ not Pl standard stuff. He was POTs in a team which put in an outstanding run and comfortably beat at Wembley a very strong side which had beaten Man City, taken Liverpool to penalties and gave Arsenal a decent game earlier in the season. He scored 15 goals and even in the relegation side was probably one of the few who came out with some credit. It''s a squad we need, if we only needed 11 starting players then why not sell everyone else?

I can only speculate perhaps that BJ was one whom AN was hinting at when he talked, in the aftermath of Grabbangate, that no "group" of players had more control than him. Was BJ subverting AN behind the scenes?

Here''s another...

Hey steelsilver, who are these teams two divisions below us that you were on about, that spent more money than we did?

Agree with everything Purple Canary said. Barring lots of injuries, BJ would have struggled to make the squad most weeks. And for £6million, that''s a fantastic bit of business for us.