Sign in to follow this  
Rich T The Biscuit

Johnson's gone, what's the problem?

£6m is not good business when you''ve barely (comparatively) spent any to begin with. We are no doubt a stronger squad with Johnson than without him and we did not need the money at all.

We are not a poor club and have received something like £70m in TV money for this season and there will be even more if we stay up. I just can''t see how £6m for a good, popular and committed player with time on his deal could be seen as a good deal for our club.

Even (and i emphasise ''Even'') if for some reason Johnson had to leave to facilitate Jarvis arriving, it''s still in my opinion a weaker squad.

I don''t like ranting at our club, but I am just stunned by this evenings business.

Saying goodbye to a fans'' favourite as BJ is always hard. Whether this is going to be an Iwan Roberts, a Huckerby, a Holt or a Snodgrass momenjt only time will tell. Good luck to Bradley, your screamer agaist the scum wil never be forgotten.

Herts. Unless I am mistaken we don''t get a big fat cheque as soon as we are promoted.

Herts - you say we are a stronger squad with BJ in it, but we have stronger options for the TEAM on the pitch, when he''s not in it.

With respect, you say that BJ is good, popular and committed, and hard to disagree with that, but when you are in the Prem, you need a lot more than that to survive.

Admittedly I did write that post when I was a bit angry, frustrated and in need of a good rant, but I do stand mostly by what I have said.

While yes, we don''t get a fat cheque all at once for the TV money, it is a guaranteed source of income and I doubt we get a straight up cheque for Johnson''s sale either. We''ve never been a big spending club in transfers or wages, we sell out nearly every game and have had a solid few years in the prem with only one year in the championship with some hefty parachute payments. There are championship clubs that have invested more than us, without sanctioning sales. My point here is not that we haven''t spent enough, but is that surely we do not need to sell useful players other than for an exceptional amount of money, which £6m is not any more. Especially with the amount of money for staying up.

While for some games yes, our team may be stronger with Johnson not in the 11. But with very few exceptions are any teams going to play the same 11 every game. Half of having a good season is having strength in depth, Johnson had a disappointing first game this season on the left but made a strong cameo as a sub at Southampton and looked better than Howson had all game. I''m certain he would have played a big part in our season.

He was a bit of a revelation out wide last year, and I think I am just so disappointed that he won''t get to even try and prove he can step up to the prem.

One final point, I do agree that we need more than good, popular and committed players to stay up but you certainly don''t need fewer. I will certainly give him a chance, but I don''t think Jarvis is that ''more'' that will take us to another level.

Bradley Johnson or Matt Jarvis?

Talisman or Wet Sham reject?

That is a difficult one.

Oh dear, oh deary me.

I really need an extra Peroni this lunchtime.

Not only am I a massive fan of Bradley Johnson, I don''t particularly rate Matt Jarvis. Which only makes it worse, for me, anyway.

Anyone saying he wanted this move couldn''t be further from the truth. Was very settled here with his family. He got to training yesterday morning to be told a bid had been made and accepted and that he was off

[quote user="hogesar"]Not only am I a massive fan of Bradley Johnson, I don''t particularly rate Matt Jarvis. Which only makes it worse, for me, anyway.[/quote]

Like it or not, Matt Jarvis is more of a wing player than Bradley ever was. Bradley found his niche on the left - and was good there because he was less of a liability than being central where his lack of pace and control used to let him down - particularly at in the PL. 

A great season last season for two reasons - being put out on the left and the fact that it was Championship level.   For those two reasons alone, he should have a great season for Derby - in the championship.  He answered his critics last season in no uncertain terms, so good luck to him. He deserves it. 

[quote user="JF"]Anyone saying he wanted this move couldn''t be further from the truth. Was very settled here with his family. He got to training yesterday morning to be told a bid had been made and accepted and that he was off[/quote]Seriously? A contract works both ways, you can''t force someone to leave.And just for the hell of it, source?

Because no player has ever stepped up from the Championship to the Premier League...

On that argument, shouldn''t we just ship out all our players on the assumption that they only played well because they were in the Championip?

I can''t comprehend how people are so willing to write him off as not good enough for the prem without ever giving him a chance to play in his preferred attacking position there.

The Johnson sale has to be taken in context.

I think the sort of money we have apparently got for Johnson is great, even though I''d have preferred him to have stayed, he obviously wants first team football and has got a nice new secure 4 year deal.

But the problem is in the context of the rest of the window this is a poor deal as we''ve sold a talismanic player and there really isn''t the justification as to why when you look at the arrivals.

Love it when people ask the ''source'' I''m hardly going to say on a public forum! He didn''t want to go and was very settled here. It''s the managers or clubs decision. He''s hardly going to hang around after being told he isn''t wanted

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hogesar"]Not only am I a massive fan of Bradley Johnson, I don''t particularly rate Matt Jarvis. Which only makes it worse, for me, anyway.[/quote]

Like it or not, Matt Jarvis is more of a wing player than Bradley ever was. Bradley found his niche on the left - and was good there because he was less of a liability than being central where his lack of pace and control used to let him down - particularly at in the PL. 

A great season last season for two reasons - being put out on the left and the fact that it was Championship level.   For those two reasons alone, he should have a great season for Derby - in the championship.  He answered his critics last season in no uncertain terms, so good luck to him. He deserves it.[/quote]
Jarvis is a more natural, conventional winger, i''ll give you that.
Better player than Johnson though? 23 goals in his last 240 appearances is hardly endearing.

[quote user="JF"]Love it when people ask the ''source'' I''m hardly going to say on a public forum! He didn''t want to go and was very settled here. It''s the managers or clubs decision. He''s hardly going to hang around after being told he isn''t wanted[/quote]Not directed at you, but there are posters on here who frequently turn their suspicions into facts. You don''t have to tell us your source, but you could give us some idea of whether it''s first, second or fifteenth hand.And plenty of players do hang around when they''re not wanted, the King of Spain became a hero for refusing to go when Roeder told him to do one.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]Jarvis was linked with Norwich last year when Neil came in and appears to me to have been a long term target rather than a stop-gap soloution. The reality may be that Johnson, realising that Norwich were now actively trying to sign another winger, read the writing on the wall and decided to push through a move rather than be left on the bench.
[/quote]I agree.. leave now, command a decent price and get first team football.. or Bench warm for 6 months, fetch a lower value and then have to play catch up fitness wise at a new team?Everyone’s won out of this deal

Nuff said I''m self employed and currently working for an employee of the club

[quote user="JF"]Nuff said I''m self employed and currently working for an employee of the club[/quote]that could be the chap behind the checkout in the club shop for all we know? he''s about as likely to be "in the know" as any random punter.

jas the barclay king wrote the following post at 02/09/2015 3:14 PM:

JF wrote:

Nuff said I''m self employed and currently working for an employee of the club

that could be the chap behind the checkout in the club shop for all we know? he''s about as likely to be "in the know" as any random punter.

I don''t think he needs to be pressed further, I believe what''s being said here, I can''t believe it was something driven by Jonno.

I''m inclined to believe JF because it''s logical and adds up with everything he''s said publically and privately about how settled and happy at ncfc he is. Well, was.

To OP.

The problem isn''t necessarily BJ going. It''s the fact that the board, head of recruitment and MCNALLY have allowed this to happen on transfer deadline day, WITHOUT investing that money into another player that would STRENGTHEN our squad. Whether people think he wouldn''t cut it is irrelevant or if you think other players were better than him in his positions is also irrelevant.

He was our PotS last year, arguably most influential and passionate player in the squad. Why get rid of him? He loved the club, but we allow f$$king Grabban to stay, who walked out on us.

SHOCKING.

Apologies to the poster concerned but this was pinched off another site where i think he has the BJ thing spot on.

I''ve watched Bradley for 4 seasons since he signed from Leeds in 2011. He was largely quite ordinary for 3 of those 4 seasons when deployed as a central midfielder. He added good physicality, worked hard but often gave the ball away cheaply which is an absolute killer at Premier League level.

His upturn in form last season coincided with him being deployed as a left midfielder high up the pitch where his weaknesses (such as his poor distribution) are less pronounced. At times he was almost joining in like a second striker being able to utilise his excellent aerial ability and powerful shooting.

It will be intriguing to see if Clement (who I don''t rate) see fits to utilise him in this way again. If he is going to do that then it will necessitate him leaving out 3 of Russell, Ince, Weimann and Dawkins to have a truly balanced system. I actually suspect he''ll be played centrally again which isn''t his strong suit.

We''ve had a disappointing transfer window but this was actually one of the pieces of business that I liked. At Premiership level we need to hold onto the ball better and be able to play with pace on the counter. Neither unfortunately are Bradley''s strong points.

I think we''ve sold while his stock is at its very highest. I honestly can''t see what him replicating what he did with us last season and a large part of that will be down to the manager and he chooses to deploy him

Jas when I say employee I''m not talking about someone behind a desk i clearly mean a player

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="JF"]Anyone saying he wanted this move couldn''t be further from the truth. Was very settled here with his family. He got to training yesterday morning to be told a bid had been made and accepted and that he was off[/quote]Seriously? A contract works both ways, you can''t force someone to leave.And just for the hell of it, source?[/quote]

Nuff is correct, Johnson didn''t want to leave, believe it or not, up to you!

[quote user="Ron Manager"][quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="JF"]Anyone saying he wanted this move couldn''t be further from the truth. Was very settled here with his family. He got to training yesterday morning to be told a bid had been made and accepted and that he was off[/quote]Seriously? A contract works both ways, you can''t force someone to leave.And just for the hell of it, source?[/quote]

Nuff is correct, Johnson didn''t want to leave, believe it or not, up to you![/quote]

Arggn this site does my head in JF was obviously missed off my post.

Bex.

Being the original poster I do see where you and others are coming from but for me it''s one of those situations that''s to good to turn down.

He''s not a premier league wide man as he lacks the pace or skills needed to attack and he''s not as good in the middle as others. Yep it would have been great to have him as part of the squad but for what, sitting on the bench or filling in when we have injuries.

Brady will play wide left now Olsson is fit so where does that leave Jonno? Even further down the pecking order with Jarvis coming in also.

£6m rising is a really good ''financial deal'', maybe not a good ''fan deal'' but this is a business that needs to sweat its assets and unfortunately BJ was an asset we don''t ''need''.

We will have a dearth of heading ability without BJ, which is a side of his game that is sometimes overlooked.Nobody with any height to make the late box runs he did and we now only have one player in the front 6 with any height.Was used a lot as the outball played high to the left side or crossfield.The backpost cross and miss match of BJ against a smaller right back has gone.We are poor at defending set pieces and we now have less height in the side to defend withHave options available now for wide players both sides that cross the ball but minus a player that could head it in.