Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Andre Wisdome

Doesn''t overly excite me to be honest. Especially after being linked with Jenkinson and Yedlin early on.

Hopefully he proves me wrong but I was hoping for a real upgrade on Whittaker, not just competition.

A.N. obviously has to state the ''provide competition'' line so no one gets the hump. Agreed that no one is guaranteed starter, but Whits will most likely soon be behind Wisdom in the priority. Good business, a player with experience, and a point to prove.   

He''s clearly considered to have lots of potential - plenty if u-21 caps + just signed a four-year contract. IMO he is, if anything more exciting a prospect for us than Yedlin or Jenkinson.

STAN wrote the following post at 29/07/2015 8:16 PM:

Doesn''t overly excite me to be honest. Especially after being linked with Jenkinson and Yedlin early on.

Hopefully he proves me wrong but I was hoping for a real upgrade on Whittaker, not just competition.

I don''t think that was ever going to happen Stan, I recon AN is pretty impressed with Whittaker and rates him.

Ignasi Miquel was also highly rated. Arsenal fans were gutted to see him go, Leicester fans were gutted they didn''t sign him.

Potential is all well and good, but realising that potential is the important part.

As for him being "experienced" Whittaker has got more PL experience than Wisdom.

I''ll say again hopefully he proves me wrong.

Jeez, some seem to make things up to fit their whinge, don''t they?! I don''t recall Arsenal or Leicester fans making that much of a comment about Miquel; we were Champs when we signed him so just put it down having moved on/above his abilities.

Jos, meanwhile got fantastic write ups from all and sundry, and we know he didn''t do so well: the moral? Trust our own eyes, and our manager''s judgement - I''m 100% certain he knows more about what he''s doing than us supporters.

For those that keep assuming he is competition for Whitts, my trust in AN suggets to me that he has been bought to provide competition for CB places. He doesn''t have the physique, pace or crossing ability to play RB. Read the WBA forums, they are virtually unanimous on this point. Plus if you read the Liverpool forums, they consider him to be very much a CB. The fact that he played RB to get first team experience should not be confused with his best position. He is built like a CB. I hope that AN has the sense to use Martin as the competition for RB.

Wisdom is a  good signing, pity its only a loan and not a permanent (unless we have an option to buy).Good feet for a tall and strong defender, stands up and does not dive in, not your classic overlapping wing back as he likes to cut in and power forward so wont squeeze Redmonds space.Not a speedster, but unlike Whits he will not be beaten over the first 2 yards.Not seen him play CB  so jury out on him playing there for me.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]WBA fans think he''s $hit. This will be an acceptable signing if we sign a good CB.[/quote]That''s because WBA played him out of position at RB. Very few players can master playing at CB and RB. In this respect, Russ Martin is a much better RB than CB, which is a position that he has never convinced me he can play. He simply doesn''t have the height, speed or physicality to play this role. Some exceptional players (e.g. Baresi) can play this position because of their reading of the game, but there are few established Premier League CBs that aren''t fairly chunky.Whilst I agree that we need a classy CB, I fear that Wisdom is our summer CB signing.

This signing isn''t much to get excited about. We''ve got a mainly champs level squad and Wisdome just adds to the small number of joe average prem players we have. We''ll need to spend some money to avoid relegation, not rely on handmedowns and rejects.

Cerberus wrote the following post at 29/07/2015 11:24 PM:

That''s because WBA played him out of position at RB. Very few players can master playing at CB and RB. In this respect, Russ Martin is a much better RB than CB, which is a position that he has never convinced me he can play. He simply doesn''t have the height, speed or physicality to play this role. Some exceptional players (e.g. Baresi) can play this position because of their reading of the game, but there are few established Premier League CBs that aren''t fairly chunky.

Whilst I agree that we need a classy CB, I fear that Wisdom is our summer CB signing.

--------------------------

Personally I''ve only ever seen him play at RB for Liverpool and West Brom (not that I''ve seen him play that many times for Liverpool). I understand that he has apparently played at CB, but this isn''t his main position..at least I hope not.

The biggest concern for me is that three of the four signings Norwich have made have been deemed not good enough to play for WBA, one of the teams we will be competing with in the ''lower division'' of the PL.

Whilst nobody can be disappointed at the arrival of Mulumba, Dorrans and Wisdom don''t exactly get the pulse racing.

In their favour, it can be argued that they have not been part of a relegated team ( as far as I am aware) , unlike Brady.

The most important factor is how happy AN is with the transfer activity, and I don''t suppose we''ll really know that until his auto-biography becomes available.

[quote user="Cerberus"][quote user="mrs miggins"]WBA fans think he''s $hit. This will be an acceptable signing if we sign a good CB.[/quote]That''s because WBA played him out of position at RB. Very few players can master playing at CB and RB. In this respect, Russ Martin is a much better RB than CB, which is a position that he has never convinced me he can play. He simply doesn''t have the height, speed or physicality to play this role. Some exceptional players (e.g. Baresi) can play this position because of their reading of the game, but there are few established Premier League CBs that aren''t fairly chunky.Whilst I agree that we need a classy CB, I fear that Wisdom is our summer CB signing.[/quote]

What is interesting here is on one hand you have Russ Martin, who all of us believe is a better RB than a CB.

Then according to other teams fans apparently, Andre wisdom is a better CB than he is RB.

Just interesting to see how that one develops over the season. I still personally believe that Wisdom has been bought in as a RB.

It will certainly be interesting when we play West Brom, especially if all four players (including Jerome) who played for them last season are playing for us.

I haven''t seen Wisdom much, but I doubt Liverpool would have given him a new 4 year contract if he isn''t a decent player. As for the others, it depends on how much faith you have in Pulis. Personally, I haven''t got much. Jerome will prove his doubters wrong, Mulumbu will be a valuable addition this season and Dorrans is much better suited to the PL. The great thing is that all three are already well integrated into our squad and ready to go.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]It will certainly be interesting when we play West Brom, especially if all four players (including Jerome) who played for them last season are playing for us.

I haven''t seen Wisdom much, but I doubt Liverpool would have given him a new 4 year contract if he isn''t a decent player. As for the others, it depends on how much faith you have in Pulis. Personally, I haven''t got much. Jerome will prove his doubters wrong, Mulumbu will be a valuable addition this season and Dorrans is much better suited to the PL. The great thing is that all three are already well integrated into our squad and ready to go.[/quote]Sorry, maybe i''m being thick but what is the link with West Brom and Jerome?

[quote user="blackwater"]This signing isn''t much to get excited about. We''ve got a mainly champs level squad and Wisdome just adds to the small number of joe average prem players we have. We''ll need to spend some money to avoid relegation, not rely on handmedowns and rejects.[/quote]
I''m curious what your interpretation of "joe average" is. If you mean average for the Premier League then that means good enough for a mid-table finish, right? If you mean average for football in general (from pub level upwards) then clearly we are in big trouble.

[quote user="unique"]The biggest concern for me is that three of the four signings Norwich have made have been deemed not good enough to play for WBA, one of the teams we will be competing with in the ''lower division'' of the PL.

Whilst nobody can be disappointed at the arrival of Mulumba, Dorrans and Wisdom don''t exactly get the pulse racing.

In their favour, it can be argued that they have not been part of a relegated team ( as far as I am aware) , unlike Brady.

The most important factor is how happy AN is with the transfer activity, and I don''t suppose we''ll really know that until his auto-biography becomes available.[/quote]
Another way of looking at it, as you allude to yourself, might be that we have signed three players that were instrumental in successfully keeping WBA in the Premier League the entire time they were with the club. ''Proven'' Premier League performers, as people keep asking for.
The question is whether they have been deemed surplus to requirements now because (a) their performances have been on a downward trajectory for some time, (b) the standard of the Premier League has improved to such an extent that these players can no longer cut it, or (c) West Brom have consolidated their position in the Premier League for long enough now that they are in a position to be improving on some of the players that have proved good enough to keep them there in recent years. If it''s either a or b then maybe we have cause for concern. I suspect it''s c, in which case I am pleased with these acquisitions. Even if it is a or b, there is still an argument that the right manager can rejuvenate individual players, enabling them to recapture their original form or better. There are, of course, other reasons the players may be surplus to requirements now. Perhaps they don''t see eye-to-eye with the current manager. Perhaps they don''t perform so well in a new system they are being asked to implement. Some players lose their way and improve with a fresh environment and new challenge.

hertfordyellow wrote the following post at 30/07/2015 10:11 AM:

Yelloow Since 72 wrote:

It will certainly be interesting when we play West Brom, especially if all four players (including Jerome) who played for them last season are playing for us. I haven''t seen Wisdom much, but I doubt Liverpool would have given him a new 4 year contract if he isn''t a decent player. As for the others, it depends on how much faith you have in Pulis. Personally, I haven''t got much. Jerome will prove his doubters wrong, Mulumbu will be a valuable addition this season and Dorrans is much better suited to the PL. The great thing is that all three are already well integrated into our squad and ready to go.

Sorry, maybe i''m being thick but what is the link with West Brom and Jerome?

I''m sure Yelloow Since 72 has a good answer to this?

Jerome doesn''t have any links to WBA does he? Though Pulis was the manager when Jerome was at Stoke.