Sign in to follow this  
USA Canary

OT - Ashes going Well!

[quote user="Herman "]Now that was a good days cricket.Anybody who says it''s boring should check out the last two days highlights.

Bit worried about Anderson though.[/quote]Quite right Herman. Which one of these Ashes threads are we supposed to be on, this one in the football section, or the one in the non-football section[8-)]. Having said that I have not missed one ball of this series. Been to many test matches and quite a few ashes games over the years and never been disappointed even when we have lost. For me the battle with the aussies are the only ones that really matter. I sometime wonder if some of the posters on this subject really know anything of how games are put together. One poster said the last test pitch was a nothin more that a flat track. He/she should know that the captain tells the head grounds man what sort of track they want to give the home side every advantage. This fact will be denied as it is looked on as gamesmanship. We had an ECB umpire as a member on here who would have verified this but he no longer posts. He left because he got fed up with multiple account holders talking to themselves.PS yes Anderson is a worry.

There''s only a couple of us that use the N-F section nowadays, so if you want a semblance of a conversation it''s probably best to use this one Shrimper. (This''ll get moved eventually).

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"Who the hell is Andy?"

Anderson.

Stuart Broad referred to him as such in an interview prior to the last Test.

Andy, Broady, Cooky, Ding Dong? Who cares as long as we win it.[/quote]

Yeah right. Next you''ll be saying he referred to Bairsty, Butty and Moeeny. To everyone involved with cricket, there''s only one Jimmy.

"Yeah right. Next you''ll be saying he referred to Bairsty, Butty and Moeeny. To everyone involved with cricket, there''s only one Jimmy."

J.M.Anderson for me. I''m very old school when it comes to cricket.

What do others think?

[quote user="Vanwink"]Hopefully we will win this one but can see any more victories without Jimmy.[/quote]

A massive blow. Our key player.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"Yeah right. Next you''ll be saying he referred to Bairsty, Butty and Moeeny. To everyone involved with cricket, there''s only one Jimmy."

J.M.Anderson for me. I''m very old school when it comes to cricket.

What do others think?[/quote]

All I know is that, all those years I spent watching England at Edgbaston, I never once heard anyone shout "come on Andy".

"Hopefully we will win this one but can see any more victories without Jimmy."

If they hang on in there for another sixty minutes we might not win this one.

It would likely be over by now if we had had Anderson.

"All I know is that, all those years I spent watching England at Edgbaston, I never once heard anyone shout "come on Andy".

I promise not to do it again.

Yes CC, agreed, but we keep being bombarded on the tv with stories about famous capitulations in the past when teams are chasing low scores.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Very nervy few overs now.

If Cook goes quickly we could have a fight on our hands.[/quote]Let the fight begin !

Test cricket - when we''re playing like this - is fabulous!

TMS is simply the best commentary of anything. Particularly enjoying the Australian commentators strenuous attempt to sound impartial.

"Test cricket - when we''re playing like this - is fabulous!"

Nothing better and with the fancy dressing, boozing, cheering every run and the baiting of the Aussie outfielders it becomes a carnival.

Edgbaston has leant it''s self to that sort of fun ever since the days of the Windies'' dominance.

Their supporters used to fill the stand to the right of the pavilion (now gone) and make it rock at every Alvin Kalicharran run. I briefly went into it once or twice just to get intoxicated by the smell of ganga in the air.

Then to the nearby Showell Green Lane for a Balti afterwards.

Great venue.

Well done England! 2 and a half days! Edgbaston made for a great atmosphere, 2-1 up 2 to play, dare we dream?

Brilliant win after Lords,   BUT, imo we need a new opener.  Lyth ain''t doing it, and without our talisman bowler Mr Anderson, at Trent Bridge, we cannot afford another letdown at the start of the innings''.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]Who would you bring in for Lyth, OldRobert? Not many openers impressing, certainly not in Division One.[/quote]Alex Lees of Yorkshire is a possible, or Eoin Morgan could open with Cook.  What worries me, is Cook is still wobbly and with Lyth consistently failing, we will be 15 for 2 and relying on Bell (only just seeing some form again) and Root to get us out of the smelly stuff.................again.

Its only about three and a bit weeks since Lyth put a ton in the book. I say give him another go. Morgan is doing OK but I think he should just concentrate on the one day captaincy.

Not a chance of Morgan opening imo. Far too uncertain outside the off stump and will be undone by the new ball far too easy. Would like to see Hales given a go. Hasn''t been in the best of form but is nice and positive and could get us off to a flier, especially at his home ground.

The bigger question is how we will take 20 wickets with Anderson missing. Trent Bridge is a good ground for Broad but we need to find a bowler who can step up and so I would look to the top of the div 1 bowling averages to see if we can play an unknown quantity against Australia. Wood is okay but doesn''t look like getting the wickets we need.

I went to the first two days - it was absolutely fantastic - great atmosphere and exciting cricket. Bloody expensive, the tickets cost £300 for two days (one through an agency) before you even start on hotels etc but well worth it!

I would pick Liam Plunkett for Trent Bridge. Has the extra height to produce the bounce that has troubled the convicts in this test and is a bit of an unknown quantity for them to face, unlike Wood.