Sign in to follow this  
USA Canary

OT - Ashes going Well!

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"Test cricket - when we''re playing like this - is fabulous!"

Nothing better and with the fancy dressing, boozing, cheering every run and the baiting of the Aussie outfielders it becomes a carnival.

Edgbaston has leant it''s self to that sort of fun ever since the days of the Windies'' domin

Their supporters used to fill the stand to the right of the pavilion (now gone) and make it rock at every Alvin Kalicharran run. I briefly went into it once or twice just to get intoxicated by the smell of ganga in the air.

Then to the nearby Showell Green Lane for a Balti afterwards.

Great venue.[/quote]

At least we agree on something. Member at Edgbaston for several years and, in my opinion, no ground like it for atmosphere. The players clearly love playing there and it is no surprise that England have a great Edgbaston record.

[quote user="ruthers1"]I would pick Liam Plunkett for Trent Bridge. Has the extra height to produce the bounce that has troubled the convicts in this test and is a bit of an unknown quantity for them to face, unlike Wood.[/quote]

I think Wood will come in for Jimmy (aka Andy apparently). I think Lyth will be given one more go. The only alternative may be for Moeen Ali to open (not ideal but he has done it before) and to bring in Adil Rashid at 8 (dependent on the type of pitch - likely to be similar to Edgbaston, however)

[quote user="USA Canary"]I cannot believe this... 39-7 after 11 overs... unbelievable!!![/quote]Broad''s figures were 4 overs, 3 maidens, 5 for 6. Astonishing.

46-8 !!!!!

6 wickets for Broad and he has become the first man to take 5 wickets in a test ( let alone 6 ) before lunch since 1913.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

46-8 !!!!!

6 wickets for Broad and he has become the first man to take 5 wickets in a test ( let alone 6 ) before lunch since 1913.

[/quote]Make that seven... [:)]

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

46-8 !!!!!

[/quote]Make that seven... [:)][/quote]Make that all of them! [:D]

''Isn''t it great seeing a ruthless England ''

Can''t help thinking the manager Bayliss has had a lot to do with the transformation of England.

Almost identical to the Alex Neil effect and impact on us, think of Lords as Alex Neil''s Brentford at home!!

Here''s a fun game to play:Get your Australian batsman name by adding ''b Broad'' to the end of your surname.

None of the Ashes matches have gone the five days yet and doesn''t look like this one will either. How annoying if you had tickets for day 4 or 5 of any of them expecting an exciting finish.

I called this Ashes series completely wrong, I never in my wildest dreams would''ve thought this could happen. Marvellous day.

[quote user="Herman "]

I called this Ashes series completely wrong, I never in my wildest dreams would''ve thought this could happen. Marvellous day.[/quote]The pedant in me cannot resist pointing out that Pomicide has to mean the killing of Poms rather than the killing by them, but I suppose the sub-editor was as shell-shocked as anyone.

Technically they are, or were, the POMs (POMEs to be extra precise) anyway.

[quote user="Herman "]Technically they are, or were, the POMs (POMEs to be extra precise) anyway.[/quote]The cricket writer of The Australian, Peter Lalor, is listed by his paper as reporting on this test from Birmingham! Perhaps he started the day in Nottingham and as the horror unfolded decided to get as far away as possible...

I called this Ashes series completely wrong, I never in my wildest dreams would''ve thought this could happen. Marvellous day.

Seconded. I know much of sport is played in the mind, but whatever happened between Lords and Edgbaston has scuppered the Aussies completely. It simply is not a bad pitch and hardly a bowler''s paradise.

If we can post 400 today then we could be bowling again after tea. Then again, maybe bat until all out as so much time left and good forecast ahead.

I would just bat and bat if I was Capt. It would show that the Aussies can''t bowl us out, and certainly their batsmen can''t score runs against our bowlers. Win, win!

Well done England! Now for a City win on the opening day for the first time in 12 years!!!!

[quote user="OldRobert"]Brilliant cricket, well done England and without Anderson.  Excellent.  Totally trounced ''em.[:D][/quote]And without a certain other player for the whole series. Someone has just resurrected this now-delicious tweet from Piers Morgan from a few months ago:Alastair Cook thinks his current KP-less England team will regain the Ashes this summer.

In other news, I will be elected Pope in August.It was quite right to leave out Mr Ego, the man who seemed not to understand the concept of a second or even third chance, but amid all the back-slapping today it is fair to point out there are some batting gaps in the team, and we as yet haven''t found a replacement for Swann.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="OldRobert"]Brilliant cricket, well done England and without Anderson.  Excellent.  Totally trounced ''em.[:D][/quote]And without a certain other player for the whole series. Someone has just resurrected this now-delicious tweet from Piers Morgan from a few months ago:Alastair Cook thinks his current KP-less England team will regain the Ashes this summer.

In other news, I will be elected Pope in August.It was quite right to leave out Mr Ego, the man who seemed not to understand the concept of a second or even third chance, but amid all the back-slapping today it is fair to point out there are some batting gaps in the team, and we as yet haven''t found a replacement for Swann.[/quote]Agreed Purple.  Lyth has hardly been a revelation, and Bell needs to find some form on a regular basis imo.