Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Palace

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]It makes no sense to criticise Hughton for his negativity and then to recommend the appointment of Pulis, none whatsoever.[/quote]Pulis may have been negative at Stoke but his results at Palace don''t show that he''s been all that negative there. Say what you will, but you don''t go the what were 4th placed Everton and come away with a 3-2 win by being totally negative.When we went there, and numerous other away games, Hughton was totally negative & we came away with nowt.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]So, we should''ve appointed Pulis? Christ, if people were angry about Hughtons negativity they''d be foaming at the mouth with Pulis![/quote]

People may be turning their noses up at Pulis....but at least if he sets out a gameplan it generally works.....what can you say the gameplan was that the trio of imcompentent clowns we had here all season were trying to achieve?...Palace appointed a proper manager early enough in the season and will be in the Premiership next season.....we didnt and won''t

[/quote]

Did you actually read any of my follow up posts? I''ve already acknowledged the effectiveness of Pulis''s tactics, I''m just baffled by the idea that some people wanted rid of Hughton because he was negative to replace him with Tony f***king Pulis! It makes no sense to criticise Hughton for his negativity and then to recommend the appointment of Pulis, none whatsoever.

If you want to have effective football that will keep you in the league then yes, appoint Pulis. If you want to criticise Hughton for being incompetent then I could go along with that and the appontment of Pulis would make sense, but how can people sit there and act like Pulis is in any way more tactically positive then Chris Hughton. If Hughton is negative then Pulis most definitely is.

[/quote]

Do you ever get the feeling nobody is listening?[:D]

What you are saying is pretty much spot on. Pulis is a good manager, but not one that would have kept City fans happy in the long run.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Phillip J Fry"]It makes no sense to criticise Hughton for his negativity and then to recommend the appointment of Pulis, none whatsoever.[/quote]Pulis may have been negative at Stoke but his results at Palace don''t show that he''s been all that negative there. Say what you will, but you don''t go the what were 4th placed Everton and come away with a 3-2 win by being totally negative.When we went there, and numerous other away games, Hughton was totally negative & we came away with nowt.[/quote]

But when you wanted to make the change last August Pulis hadn''t even been to Palace. He was still the ex-Stoke manager who you didn''t rate.

That was my point BTW Foggy...

[quote user="Jenkins"]Can''t see Fulham getting much out of that game[/quote]They are still only Palace.  Home against a team with nothing to play for on the last day of the season is never a bad fixture, as we will be hoping when Arsenal come to Carrow Road.

For a long time I thought Pulis would be our manager at some point. He was in the frame a couple of times but I think fear of the fans reaction maybe scuppered it. Those who say we wouldn''t mind the tactics if we were winning games are spot on in most cases.

I remember when Saunders first came here in 1969. The football we played for the first year he was here was some of the worst ever. But after a year we started winning games and the fans were happy again. Like Pulis Saunders got the best out of the players he had through fitness and endeavour.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Phillip J Fry"]It makes no sense to criticise Hughton for his negativity and then to recommend the appointment of Pulis, none whatsoever.[/quote]Pulis may have been negative at Stoke but his results at Palace don''t show that he''s been all that negative there. Say what you will, but you don''t go the what were 4th placed Everton and come away with a 3-2 win by being totally negative.When we went there, and numerous other away games, Hughton was totally negative & we came away with nowt.[/quote]
Results don''t mean you play positive football! What kind of logic is that? Positive football (according to fans on here) features goals, shots, possession etc. Palace have scored one more goal! They have far less possession than Norwich, they have far less shot per game! They have failed to score in more matches! By every measurable statistic, they are negative!  Just because Pulis is very, very good at making his negative football effective enough to beat even good teams like Everton does not make him a positive manager! Is it really that hard to understand?
I''m not defending Hughton here either. He''s, statistically and stylistically, nearly as negative as Pulis and he''s far less competent. But so many fans rallied against Hughton negative as well as a failure that I can''t see the logic in appointing the more effective but just as negative Pulis.

2 seasons ago under Lambert we could score goals (the 7th top scorers in the Premiership?) but couldnt defend.....last season, we could defend but couldn'' score......this season, Hughton managed ,despite a £26m outlay to make us bad at both. I''d rather be good at one end of the pitch than none at all, as either one is likely to keep you up...at least Pulis has got Palace right defensively.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]2 seasons ago under Lambert we could score goals (the 7th top scorers in the Premiership?) but couldnt defend.....last season, we could defend but couldn'' score......this season, Hughton managed ,despite a £26m outlay to make us bad at both. I''d rather be good at one end of the pitch than none at all, as either one is likely to keep you up...at least Pulis has got Palace right defensively.[/quote]
No one here is questioning Pulis''s effectiveness. I think general consensus is that he''s done a brilliant job. He''d be my manager of the season.

This season was always going to be a transitional year of trying to find a balance...is that a bollox excuse; well yes and no. Quite understandably most didn''t want to wait, and nor did the board.

''Get ur ed outta th sand man'' right

But today he''s just a convenient stick for those who know best. However those who suggested him as a viable alternative to Hughton after Lambert left, if they exist, have certainly got something to harp on about...

I would''ve had poyet. Sunderland were dead and buried and and still have a chance of staying up.

They''ve had a coupl of great cup runs, beat the big boys and all of there fans love him.

Maybe they''ll go down but they''ve gone down fighting knowing 99% of the blame lays with di canio.

Yes I know you would CUSDP. And you''ve said it since you wanted Hughton gone after his first game so fair play to ya[Y]

But you did go a bit quiet about it when he lost five on the bounce...

[quote user="can u sit down please"]I would''ve had poyet. Sunderland were dead and buried and and still have a chance of staying up.

They''ve had a coupl of great cup runs, beat the big boys and all of there fans love him.

Maybe they''ll go down but they''ve gone down fighting knowing 99% of the blame lays with di canio.[/quote]

I reckon you must see what you want to.

Poyet has had 26 games and lost half of them. They haven''t won a game since February 1st. His win% is 23.1 - that is unacceptable for a Premier League manager, wouldn''t you say?

[quote user="Helsinki canary"]Hell of a win for Palace, Pulis clearly knows how to win in the Prem, 3 goals away from home, can''t see how anyone could even put Hughton in the same class as Pulis. Our board screwed up big time and we could pay a serious price for it, Hughton should gone after the Villa home game this season, Pulis would of had us sitting pretty weeks ago.....[/quote]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/1/2988672/ShowPost.aspx#2988672

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]Hughton would''ve done exactly the same as would Sam Allardyce when they take the lead. Remain tight at the back, nick a goal from a set piece or on the counter. [/quote]Exactly this! Because you know, we score so so many goals on the counter while defending deep. Unless we don''t.There is nothing I have seen in the last two seasons to give credence to the claim that scoring goals on the counter was any part of Chris Hughton''s tactics.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Phillip J Fry"]Hughton would''ve done exactly the same as would Sam Allardyce when they take the lead. Remain tight at the back, nick a goal from a set piece or on the counter. [/quote]Exactly this! Because you know, we score so so many goals on the counter while defending deep. Unless we don''t.There is nothing I have seen in the last two seasons to give credence to the claim that scoring goals on the counter was any part of Chris Hughton''s tactics.[/quote]

West Bromwich Albion away. 

Our form after Christmas last season was appalling and really we were more than a little fortunate to stay up then, the writing was on the wall right at the start of this season that we were still utter 5hite and how Hughton was left in charge for so long is really unfathomable , although there were still a few numpties on this messageboard who were to blind to see it coming and fully backed him .We are going down and quite honestly we deserve to , since the arrival of Hughton we have become a joke side , cannot defend , cannot score and play football to sleep too , the Premiership wont miss us thats for sure .

As previously said, I can''t believe that folks can''t see the irony of their use of hindsight.There would have been anarchy on here had we appointed Pulis.Anarchy.

Have to agree with Morty there (doesn''t happen much).Especially at the time he was appointed (November), I think by January people would have taken just about anybody, but if we''d have appointed Pulis in November there would have been chaos.Ironically Poyet would have gone down pretty well, although I don''t think being 20th necessarily makes him a bad manager because Sunderland were in a complete mess and seem to have accrued a fair number of complete pr*cks in their squad.Pulis is unlucky that Liverpool are going to win the league, because otherwise he''d have been a serious contender for manager of the year.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]By every measurable statistic, they are negative!  [/quote]But since he went there they''ve won 11 out of 24 (10 out of 22 in the PL), they''v just had 4 wins on the bounce & on current form (i.e. last 22 PL games) they''re ranked 8th.Pulis has got more points in those 22 games than we''ve got in 34 games.I haven''t watched many of their games but in reality, you don''t achieve that by being totally negative