Sign in to follow this  
Phil Boyers Admiral top

McSally panicked patronisation of city fans

How come you int heard of shink?

As quicker than writing should think I shink.

Anyway, pointing out the problems int difficult but what are the solutions? If you reckon the manager is wrong then the CEO is weak then the board int doing there job cos the weak CEO is still being paid not to sack the manager who is wrong.

That, is what my old man would ha''called a rum''un.

They reckon that poo roll down the hill and moaning climb up it, if your right rudolf that seem like theyre all on a roundabout and there int no hills at all.

Really though, McNally''s article is only aimed at people too dim to realise that you need to get behind the team.

Folks getting their knickers twisty about it should have a wee think about that.

LDC,

Who ghave you permission to speak for me, whether I agree not with Waveney is not the point, I may give a sh*t and I may care, somewhat patronising imo.

About Barcelona fans. Lucky enough to be there last week for the Man City game, with a cousin who is a Barcelona fan (who has been many times).

They don''t use happy clappers to make noise. They sent out flags for all fans. All around the stadium, they are all waving in their build up - they all sing. It is similar to OTBC. Can put video up from a decent section of the home ground if need be for the moaners on here. There is a point. 100kl vs 25k? Play that against how many away fans turn up - but we have the Main/City Stand and the River End who are only vocal...when?

Atmosphere was cracking.

Forgetting the above what is of BIG note: There is a section of fans in two blocks behind their home end which make noise all game. Big deal? Standing up, tannoys and so on. NONE sit down as as though sectioned to make noise. It kept the fans going throughout.

It''s standing in a seated area and none were quiet throughout.

McNally needs to look at this if looking at Barcelona fans and taking to the old school Barclay in a section to stand up and make noise????

Fantastic fans there and enjoyable as a neutral to enjoy football and the atmosphere!

Messi & Iniesta footwork in awe. Should play one of our forwards like Messi - straight down the middle, no flank play out of position.

Big fan of McNally and I actually admire the way he and the Board are right now backing the Manager. BUT.......sometimes, just sometimes our club does appear to be lacking some proper PR guidance and to be quite frank the comment regarding City fans being the best in the world is somewhat embarrassing and I agree that he will probably be regretting it. Sure, say how much the fantastic support from our loyal supporters is appreciated, how important it is that our fantastic fans get behind the team right now and show unity, that''s fine and always appreciated regardless of what side you are on right now.........but making statements like this just doesnt do it for me and shows almost a PR media naivety when you expect better from an EPL set-up..........just saying :-) 

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Sort of guff Doncaster used to spew out, reckon we just need The Doc or Darel Russell to give it some "do our talking on the pitch" nonsense and we''re back to 2005.[/quote]

That''s right Bor[Y] He''s now as useless as Doomcaster but we''ve arrived at that point pretty quickly even by Pink Un standards.

So, like in 2005 anyone would be better than the manager and the CEO is part of the spin machine trying to do the fans down. They are now the enemy. Any success now will be in spite of them and not because of them.

Anyone remember what happened next|[:^)]

[/quote]

That''s still not too late to get a few loan players in.

"They sent out flags for all fans. All around the stadium, they are all waving in their build up - they all sing. It is similar to OTBC"

Pah - lil ol plastic Barca... should only be barcelona born and bred, not two nodge boys supporting them Fake club, fake fans - why should we want to be them...

All it takes to get a good atmosphere is a crunching tackle, a bit of sustained pressure and a outfield desire to chase down loose balls / 50-50s. Then we''d see the fans back the team. It''s an entertainment business and the crowd are the audience.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Peter Grant made a decisive decision for the Board.

Nigel Worthington was let down by the Board who could have sacked him but chose to let his star fade by keeping him on.

Worthy knew what a bunch of ditherers employed him, he had to give them an ultimatum just to get the job in the first place.

Our Board has almost always dithered. Good job the cook doesn''t slaughter her own meat, everyone would starve waiting for the chicken, sheep, cow, pig to die a natural death.

So in came McNally and so unlike Norwich Gunn was fired. In came a manager too hot for the Board, despite his dramatic success and the Chairman actually complaining he was ''the most impatient manI have ever met.'' At last, we thought, a decisive CEO and Manager.

But something went wrong. But not before we got precisely to where we wanted so it should have been fine. But then.........

The CEO went soft, a manager was brought in who was a ditherer and forelock tugger in the Boards image and the rest is history.

Was McNally gelded after Lambert went to Villa? Why has he overseen such a malaise? Why has our pugnacious spirit been allowed to leave with Lambert?

The spirit within Norwich City is sh!t. The patronisation of fans, the disdain shown to fans by players, the silence of the Board, the wet management of the team. If we wanted another dose of the clappers we''d go kerb crawling along Portman Road.[/quote]Rudolph, Hughton was appointed on June 7, 2012, and it is now March 22, 2014. At what precise moment between then and now should McNally have stood up at a board meeting and proposed sacking Hughton, and what - briefly - would have been the overwhelming arguments he would have used?Alternatively, if your answer is that Hughton should never have been appointed, who realistically was there who was available and willing to come to Norwich City who would have been plainly better?

[quote user="Michael Starr"]It''s an entertainment business and the crowd are the audience.[/quote]

I''d agree up to a point, but to me the crowd are participants, not an audience - that''s how it used to be and at one time fans would make up their own entertainment.   Now its more like - have a few beers, get to your seat at two minutes to three and sit there and say "go on then entertain me".  Years ago, the buzz around the stadium half an hour before the match was much better, building up with singing and chanting in the communal areas and then into the arena itself, to a crescendo when the teams come out to a loud roar. Now it is silent until the teams come out.   A sad reflection of the times.  

January 2013 was the turning point for me, Purple.

We had had a good run of results but the play was awful to watch. It was clear the playing style didn''t play to the strengths of the players we had and Hughton was showing a lack of nous, especially in game time. We then lost to Luton.

I voted with my feet, and that is my choice, admittedly for other reasons too but if the games were enjoyable that would have swayed me. Of course, I''m not a real fan like so many superior beings on here but I do care about the Club.

As it stands there is no option now but to get behind the team and hope they have enough. A win today would make a huge difference.

[quote user="Ray"]LDC, Who ghave you permission to speak for me, whether I agree not with Waveney is not the point, I may give a sh*t and I may care, somewhat patronising imo.[/quote]

Same here Mr Ray, I can speak for myself and I don''t require a ''girlie'' Troll like ldc to do it for me!

[quote user="Jimbo Canary"]

[quote user="Ray"]LDC, Who ghave you permission to speak for me, whether I agree not with Waveney is not the point, I may give a sh*t and I may care, somewhat patronising imo.[/quote]

Same here Mr Ray, I can speak for myself and I don''t require a ''girlie'' Troll like ldc to do it for me!

[/quote]Its like I said the other day Jimbo - you having nothing to say except to hang on the coat tails of other posters. Try thinking for yourself occasionally!As for "girlie"  your avatar says it all.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]January 2013 was the turning point for me, Purple.

We had had a good run of results but the play was awful to watch. It was clear the playing style didn''t play to the strengths of the players we had and Hughton was showing a lack of nous, especially in game time. We then lost to Luton.

I voted with my feet, and that is my choice, admittedly for other reasons too but if the games were enjoyable that would have swayed me. Of course, I''m not a real fan like so many superior beings on here but I do care about the Club.

As it stands there is no option now but to get behind the team and hope they have enough. A win today would make a huge difference.[/quote]Rudolph, if McNally had stood up at a meeting of the directors at the beginning of February 2013 and proposed sacking Hughton, based on those reasons, he would have been laughed out of the boardroom. No-one serioulsy cared about the FA Cup and we were on course for a comfortable finish in the league. At the beginning of that February we were in 14th place with 28 points from 25 games.You voting with your feet is one thing (and understandable) but not to be compared with the serious business of sacking a manager, which is what I was asking about. For that there has to be an unanswerable case, and back in February 2013 there simply wasn''t one. Indeed there hasn''t been at any time since Hughton was appointed. Or at least if there has been I haven''t seen one put forward here. All the many, many dates/occasions I have seen mentioned can easily be refuted with a counter-argument. This is why what you categorise as dithering isn''t. It is just that there has never been that obvious moment.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Indeed there hasn''t been at any time since Hughton was appointed. Or at least if there has been I haven''t seen one put forward here. All the many, many dates/occasions I have seen mentioned can easily be refuted with a counter-argument. This is why what you categorise as dithering isn''t. It is just that there has never been that obvious moment.[/quote]

In the end until we actually fall into the drop zone, no definitive time will ever exist. That said, results this season are worse than last, and last season than the one before. WIthin Hughton''s term each half season has been worse than the one preceding it.

If he does not halt this slide, he will be sacked before the end of the year, as we will be comfortably occupying the relegation slots. Assuming we don''t have some dramatic collapse at the end of this season.

I would rather have a tipsy Delia on the pitch to deal with than this, its so ''tin pot'' and cringeworthy.[:S]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Indeed there hasn''t been at any time since Hughton was appointed. Or at least if there has been I haven''t seen one put forward here. All the many, many dates/occasions I have seen mentioned can easily be refuted with a counter-argument. This is why what you categorise as dithering isn''t. It is just that there has never been that obvious moment.[/quote]

In the end until we actually fall into the drop zone, no definitive time will ever exist. That said, results this season are worse than last, and last season than the one before. WIthin Hughton''s term each half season has been worse than the one preceding it.

If he does not halt this slide, he will be sacked before the end of the year, as we will be comfortably occupying the relegation slots. Assuming we don''t have some dramatic collapse at the end of this season.[/quote]I don''t entirely agree with that. Obviously if by definitive you mean league position then, yes, you

have to wait until you end up in the bottom three. But then, almost by

definition, it will probably be too late. What I was talking about was an unanswerable case, and that wouldn''t necessarily involve us being in the dead zone. I can envisage circumstances under which McNally could have made such a case for sacking Hughton with us above 18th. If, say, we had endured a very bad run of results, particularly at home, before the January transfer window opened, and we were falling inexorably. And if there was a good replacement available.

McNally won''t like this drop in his reputation. Whenever I''ve seen him interviewed, for the first time he''s looked like a man who doesn''t know what to do for the best.

I believe a large part of him wishes he''d had the guts to sack Hughton months ago. Alas, he didn''t and we struggle against relegation yet again. Hughton was lucky with the 11th place finish. We were two games off relegation last year. That''s as much of a fact as the 11th place finish.

DM''s comments about fans are patronising. I''ve long felt that players, managers and CEO''s think that fans will swallow any old rubbish. I very rarely listen or watch player interviews, manager interviews or interviews with Chief Execs because they are all full of flannel and the same old cliches.

--- PurpleCanary: I can envisage circumstances under which McNally could have made such a case for sacking Hughton with us above 18th. If, say, we had endured a very bad run of results, particularly at home, before the January transfer window opened, and we were falling inexorably. And if there was a good replacement available.

I think there has been a case to sack Hughton for a long time... worsening results, terrible performances alongside tedious football. As for a definitive time, well exactly, the definitive time to sack any manager is often too late.

Purple Canary - why does there have to be one singular, precise moment to contribute to sacking Hughton? I agree with CJF - it''s not a case of one thing happening. It''s the fact we have been on a downward slope since Hughton took charge. It clearly hasn''t been working for the whole time, especially this season. I don''t see the logic of the board needing one specific moment to sack him.

And if you do want one moment, look no further than Man City, 7 (seven)-nil. One of the most pathetic ncfc performances I''ve ever seen and one which just sums up Hughton''s reign. You''ll probably respond with something like "well we beat West Ham in the next game" - but that was a pathetic performance in itself and has no bearing on the previous game. Hughton should have been sacked after Man City.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]I don''t entirely agree with that. Obviously if by definitive you mean league position then, yes, you

have to wait until you end up in the bottom three. But then, almost by

definition, it will probably be too late. What I was talking about was an unanswerable case, and that wouldn''t necessarily involve us being in the dead zone.
[/quote]I agree, if you wait until you''re in the relegation zone then it is too late.But without such an objective measure, or gross misconduct, then you can''t ever really have an "unanswerable" case - so it comes down to a matter of judgement when to pull the trigger.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]Purple Canary - why does there have to be one singular, precise moment to contribute to sacking Hughton? I agree with CJF - it''s not a case of one thing happening. It''s the fact we have been on a downward slope since Hughton took charge. It clearly hasn''t been working for the whole time, especially this season. I don''t see the logic of the board needing one specific moment to sack him.

And if you do want one moment, look no further than Man City, 7 (seven)-nil. One of the most pathetic ncfc performances I''ve ever seen and one which just sums up Hughton''s reign. You''ll probably respond with something like "well we beat West Ham in the next game" - but that was a pathetic performance in itself and has no bearing on the previous game. Hughton should have been sacked after Man City.[/quote]That is not what I am saying. My point is there has to be a particular time at which the case for sacking a manager becomes unanswerable. That doesn''t have to be in the immediate wake of one particular game, although one awful result might concentrate minds, and be the final straw. But the case for sacking a manager is normally made of various longer-term concerns, such as - with Hughton - doubts about his tactics.As to your view that he should have been sacked after the 7-0, fine. But if McNally had argued that at a board meeting I doubt he would have got very far. The counter-arguments would have been that it was far too early in the season, and Man City can beat quite a few teams very heavily.As it happens what turned me from pro-Hughton to anti-Hughton was the next game, at home to West Ham, because I (and I was far from alone in this) thought his team/tactics choice was bizarre. But, again, that was never a strong enough argument for sacking him (and I never have). After all, we DID win that game.The difference here is between fans such as you and I having a feeling about something, and the directors actually having to make an extremely tough decision with far-reaching consequences.

McNally has done wonders for NCFC but this God like status adopted but some on here with regard to him is ridiculous. Everybody makes mistakes and says things that they wish they had not and in fact make decisions at the wrong time or for the wrong reasons. McNally is human.

Just take his quote at the AGM last October where we were told that we will soon be in mid table mediocrity and was dismissive of the concerns of the person questioning Hughton. That has bitten him on the backside for sure.

This latest best fans in the world tosh comes from a man who worked at Celtic where thousands turn up to watch the grass grow and who took 70,000  to Portugal for a Euro Final a few years ago. Jesus they took 25,000 to Old Trafford for Roy Keane''s Testimonial.

Try you tube for You''ll never walk alone being sung at Parkhead.

The wheel always turns full circle in football and unfortunately it is not turning in his favour at the moment.