Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Am I alone in being happy to see 1.5 million for Wes?

Compared to the cost of relegation which would be £50M+, £1.5M is F''all!

Hoolahan can still make the difference in enough games to help us to safety.

He could also do the same thing for Aston Villa, which could potentially relegate us!

And a better younger model than Hoolahan would cost much more than £1.5M!

All these facts considered - we''re better of keeping him!

Why sell wes, whats the point, what would we get for 1.5m to replace him. Get real all the wes haters, if he plays every home game against anyone bar the top 3 he will run the match and dictate the pace like no one else can.

We don''t need to sell, he is not a fringe player or totally out of the picture like Becchio, he is under contract until 2015, so, why should we sell him? 

Not least, why should we sell him for £1.5m? A deal which, certainly in the short term will be of little, if any benefit to us, but will benefit one of our rivals? 

I rate Wes higher than some on this thread, but I still fail to see how anyone thinks we can benefit by ''off-loading'' him mid season for £1.5m, £2m, £3m or even £4m?  Even if you''re not a Wes fan, with inflated prices, our depleted midfield, where do we benefit by selling him?

Not that I want rid, but for those of that persuasion, surely the summer would be a better time to sell him for us?  We don''t need the money so why do something that may hinder our chances of survival and bolster an opponents????

[:^)][:^)][:^)]

[quote user="kingsway"]

He could also do the same thing for Aston Villa, which could potentially relegate us!

[/quote]We know it would cost more but that doesn''t alter the fact that the time is fast arriving when it has to be done. There will be many who will think it''s the wrong decision  whichever way it goes.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="lincoln canary"]I despair at some of the comments here. Yeah just get rid of wes and we''ll get someone better. People who fail to see how good wes still is are mentally retarded. He has been our best player whenever he has played. Against man utd he was brilliant. £1.5million would never get a player capable of that type of performance. Wake up!! If we lose wes we have zero creativity. We should be putting pressure on Hughton to play him.[/quote]

No one better in years but the all have a shelf life. To ignore that is burying your head in the sand. We need a new playmaker for the long term and Wes can''t fit that role.

There comes a time when you have to make that decision. Better earlier when you can still get some money than later when he can walk for free.

Someone has to make that decision, it''s hard and he will no doubt take some flack but the time is quickly coming when it will be necessary.
[/quote]

How quickly is the time coming?[O][:^)]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="kingsway"]

[/quote]

We know it would cost more but that doesn''t alter the fact that the time is fast arriving when it has to be done. There will be many who will think it''s the wrong decision  whichever way it goes.
[/quote]

How fast is the time arriving?[O][:^)]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

We don''t need to sell, he is not a fringe player or totally out of the picture like Becchio, he is under contract until 2015, so, why should we sell him? 

Not least, why should we sell him for £1.5m? A deal which, certainly in the short term will be of little, if any benefit to us, but will benefit one of our rivals? 

I rate Wes higher than some on this thread, but I still fail to see how anyone thinks we can benefit by ''off-loading'' him mid season for £1.5m, £2m, £3m or even £4m?  Even if you''re not a Wes fan, with inflated prices, our depleted midfield, where do we benefit by selling him?

Not that I want rid, but for those of that persuasion, surely the summer would be a better time to sell him for us?  We don''t need the money so why do something that may hinder our chances of survival and bolster an opponents????

[/quote]No body has been a greater Wes fan than me Slim. My watchword was often "No Wes No Points".He plays and walks for free or he sits on the bench and walks for free or take some money while it''s on offer.He is coming up to 32 and won''t last forever with the pace in this league. There are good younger models out there, I know they will cost but we''d be fools to hang on too long.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="kingsway"]

[/quote]We know it would cost more but that doesn''t alter the fact that the time is fast arriving when it has to be done. There will be many who will think it''s the wrong decision  whichever way it goes.[/quote]

[/quote]With the benefit of age I can report that it is arriving faster than you think.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="kingsway"]

[/quote]

We know it would cost more but that doesn''t alter the fact that the time is fast arriving when it has to be done. There will be many who will think it''s the wrong decision  whichever way it goes.
[/quote]

[/quote]

With the benefit of age I can report that it is arriving faster than you think.
[/quote]

Why?[:^)]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsKbwR7WXN4

[;)]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]

No body has been a greater Wes fan than me Slim. My watchword was often "No Wes No Points".

He plays and walks for free or he sits on the bench and walks for free or take some money while it''s on offer.

He is coming up to 32 and won''t last forever with the pace in this league. There are good younger models out there, I know they will cost but we''d be fools to hang on too long.
[/quote]

But he''s contracted till 2015, is he not? 

Which inevitably leads me back to my points above? Why sell now, rather than in the summer, when it will most probably not benefit us this season to sell him now and when we don''t need the money?

So, unless I am missing the huge elephant in the corner or something, why sell him now?[:^)]

I''m smelling a rat though, Wes injury today had all the signs of a Dean Ashton injury on 3rd round day

When he plays well we invariably loose anyway, I wouldn''t say he''s a match winner and in the position he plays in you need to bag winning assists or goals.

We need to win more and I don''t see Wes as the solution.

Obviously he will always be remembered fondly for his great years of service.

OTBC

I''m smelling a rat though, Wes injury today had all the signs of a Dean Ashton injury on 3rd round day

Villa out of the cup now so that theories out of the window!

If he was a squad no hoper like Becchio, or Surman then I''d be well up for selling him but as we''ve seen in some home games, Hoolahan can make the difference that can get us a few points which could make all the difference. Hes contracted until the end of next season when he can still make a difference! 

The money involved in being in the Premiership over the next two seasons is huge £100M+ so why sell a player who can still do a decent job for us for peanuts????

He is an asset! An asset that could not be replaced for that type of money. He is a relatively unique asset that would be difficult to replace even if there was more money.

We can all argue the pros and cons of Wes, there is quite a variation in how we all value his importance. But, regardless of whether we think he should start more games or not, surely he has to be worth being one of seven on the bench.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]No body has been a greater Wes fan than me Slim. My watchword was often "No Wes No Points".He plays and walks for free or he sits on the bench and walks for free or take some money while it''s on offer.He is coming up to 32 and won''t last forever with the pace in this league. There are good younger models out there, I know they will cost but we''d be fools to hang on too long.[/quote]

So what if he walks for free. If we remain a premiership club it does not matter to us. £1.5m is petty cash in premiership transfer terms. I would rather risk losing out on that money by keeping him, at least for the rest of the season. That money won''t enable us to sign a replacement. Letting him go now simply makes no sense from the clubs perspective.

[quote user="Crispy"]When he plays well we invariably loose anyway, I wouldn''t say he''s a match winner and in the position he plays in you need to bag winning assists or goals.

We need to win more and I don''t see Wes as the solution.

Obviously he will always be remembered fondly for his great years of service.

OTBC[/quote]

I don''t think that''s true. I think if you trawled through the stats you would see that our success rate with Wes in the team is superior to when he is missing.

I get your point Ricardo, but as so many have stated here he is more worth for us than 1,5 millions.

Even if he would have only one year left of his contract and would walk free at summer that wouldn''t be a reason to sell him for a club that is fighting for same places with us, not to mention if we drop down Wes suddently becomes class above than what other clubs in that league has to offer.

So in my opinion it is better to keep him until the summer and let him go for lesser sum with better time to replace him and not giving any advantage for our rivals.

1,5m in current prices is just ridiculously low sum in January for a move between teams in same league from a proven player.

So Fulham are apparently happy to sell Berbatov for around 2-2.5 mil, yet somehow Hoolahan has become worth double this figure after struggling to get games all season....ahemIt constantly baffles me as to how some of our fans can so comprehensively over-rate/overprice our own players, but then expect our signings to come in on cut price deals...The point that consistently keeps being missed here is that clearly Hughton does NOT want to play him most of the time, so it''s almost like hanging onto a favoured old t-shirt for posterity - not because you intend to wear it each week, but because you can''t bear to see it go (especially if it''s going to the charity shop etc)...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]So Fulham are apparently happy to sell Berbatov for around 2-2.5 mil, yet somehow Hoolahan has become worth double this figure after struggling to get games all season....ahemIt constantly baffles me as to how some of our fans can so comprehensively over-rate/overprice our own players, but then expect our signings to come in on cut price deals...The point that consistently keeps being missed here is that clearly Hughton does NOT want to play him most of the time, so it''s almost like hanging onto a favoured old t-shirt for posterity - not because you intend to wear it each week, but because you can''t bear to see it go (especially if it''s going to the charity shop etc)...[/quote][:D][Y]

Indy Bones

Berbatov is on about 60k a week, not scoring goals & Fulham want rid of him.

It''s the January window so prices are inflated especially when someone is after one of your players. You need to look at the Carroll sale to see how we should conduct business not compare with Berbatov and lose money.

Yes Hoolahan is an old t-shirt but although old much better quality than some of the new ones we have.

Regardless of what you think of Wes offers us, it would be utter madness to sell him to a bottom half rival who are crying out for a playmaker. We have no need to sell and should tell Lambert to eff off.I have a feeling its going to happen though, as Hughton seems to want to rid Norfolk of every midfielder capable of passing a football.

If you had to pick an 11 to fight for the shirt Wes would be one. After Hughtons signings you won''t find another 10!

If we have to win a game stay up Wes would give 100%. RVW, Hooper and Fer would have other options irrespective of the result. Fulham 6 - 0 all over again?

Don''t under estimate the value of loyalty in a dressing room or the ability the guy has!

heard from a source yesterday that its £3.5 for Wes to Villa but is on hold at moment. Something or someone has put the block on it for the future. Think I would take that sort of money for Wes but don''t trust Houghton to spend it too wisely

[quote user="Dandy Mountfarto"]Regardless of what you think of Wes offers us, it would be utter madness to sell him to a bottom half rival who are crying out for a playmaker. We have no need to sell and should tell Lambert to eff off.I have a feeling its going to happen though, as Hughton seems to want to rid Norfolk of every midfielder capable of passing a football.[/quote]

Brilliant [Y]