Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Am I alone in being happy to see 1.5 million for Wes?

Selling Wes could be the final tipping point for the Hughton out undecided so every cloud has a silver lining.

Honestly, he probably is only worth 1.5m. The key thing is however, we have absolutely no need to sell him and especially not to a league rival.

Thought he was superb against utd and although he is obviously going to be on the decline physically, he still provides something that none of our other players can.

[quote user="Indy Bones"]So Fulham are apparently happy to sell Berbatov for around 2-2.5 mil, yet somehow Hoolahan has become worth double this figure after struggling to get games all season....ahem[/quote]Yes, I think this has something to do with massive wages, and the fact his contract expires in the summer.[quote user="Indy_Bones"]The point that consistently keeps being missed here is that clearly Hughton does NOT want to play him most of the time, so it''s almost like hanging onto a favoured old t-shirt for posterity - not because you intend to wear it each week, but because you can''t bear to see it go...[/quote]The first part of this I agree with, there is no point keeping Wes if Hughton is not going to play him.  But I disagree with your comparison, as I think Wes should be an important member of the squad and getting more game time.

Hoolahan has been tremendous over the years but don''t let sentimental value cloud your judgement.

However way you see it Wes is a player in decline. He is ageing. Any player who is over 30 years of age devalues in price yearly if not 6 monthly.

Ask yourselves, does Wes still bring enough to NCFC?

In my opinion he doesn''t. A central attacking midfielder playing in the premier league needs to be on the scoresheet from time to time as well as creating chances for his team mates. Wes does not score enough in this role any more.

I believe it would be good business to cash in a little bit rather than letting his contract run out.

£2-2.5m would be good business and more realistic but I wouldn''t allow him to go to a premier league rival.

Much depends on whether you believe we are in a comfortable mid-table position and one win away from tenth or, alternatively, you believe we are in the slightest danger of being drawn into a relegation scrap. If you hold the latter view it would make no sense to sell to a fellow potential relegation candidate, regardless of price, especially one in which the manager, arguably, knows the player and might therefore play to his strengths.

[quote user="lharman7"]Hoolahan has been tremendous over the years but don''t let sentimental value cloud your judgement.

However way you see it Wes is a player in decline. He is ageing. Any player who is over 30 years of age devalues in price yearly if not 6 monthly.

In my opinion he doesn''t. A central attacking midfielder playing in the premier league needs to be on the scoresheet from time to time as well as creating chances for his team mates. Wes does not score enough in this role any more.

I believe it would be good business to cash in a little bit rather than letting his contract run out.

£2-2.5m would be good business and more realistic but I wouldn''t allow him to go to a premier league rival.[/quote]

How is he declining exactly? The one attribute that appears to decline with age is speed. An attribute that has never been part of his game.

Wes is good for another 2-3 years IMO. Maybe longer. He won''t lose his footballing brain and touch.

This is a rerun of the Holt arguments last season.

As then, Wes is worth more to us than the cash. Like an old car, we know what he can do and a similar value model is full of risk

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]This is a rerun of the Holt arguments last season.

As then, Wes is worth more to us than the cash. Like an old car, we know what he can do and a similar value model is full of risk[/quote]Why would you trade in for a similar value model when the need is for newer and better.Part exchange value is dropping all the time.Seems to me that keeping it in the garage and not using it, just to stop somebody else driving it, is cutting your nose off to spite your face.

[quote user="Le Juge"]If Hoolahan is sold for any less than £4m this January, or for any amount to Aston Villa, I''m not going to Carrow Road again until Hughton, Calderwood and Trollope are no longer at the club.

And I mean that.[/quote]whilst I have never consiered you the sharpest knife in the box, I am constantly amazed at your seeming endless need to prove your dimnessyou will not know the ''price'' of Hoolahan were he to be sold as those figures are NOT releasedand what is the price you are talking about ?the initial feethe full fee after all instalmentsthe fee plus add onsthe fee plus add ons, plus players signing on feethe fee plus add ons, plus players signing on fee, pus agents feeor will you simply sit and dribble over some number that a pimply fred at sky football has made up ?(as is usual with these events)

Interesting and a decent price. The answer should still be no.

bundo wrote the following post at 05/01/2014 4:53 PM:

The bid is not from Villa, it is from Hull for 3.5 million.

Interesting and a decent price. The answer should still be no.

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="Le Juge"]If Hoolahan is sold for any less than £4m this January, or for any amount to Aston Villa, I''m not going to Carrow Road again until Hughton, Calderwood and Trollope are no longer at the club.

And I mean that.[/quote]whilst I have never consiered you the sharpest knife in the box, I am constantly amazed at your seeming endless need to prove your dimnessyou will not know the ''price'' of Hoolahan were he to be sold as those figures are NOT releasedand what is the price you are talking about ?the initial feethe full fee after all instalmentsthe fee plus add onsthe fee plus add ons, plus players signing on feethe fee plus add ons, plus players signing on fee, pus agents feeor will you simply sit and dribble over some number that a pimply fred at sky football has made up ?(as is usual with these events)

[/quote]no new years resolutions to curb the old pomposity a bit then Mr P ?  [:D]

Two things to think about here. First it''s untrue Hughton doesn''t play Hoolahan because he''s used him in 9 league games this season which surely means he''s an important squad member. Secondly McNally has said more than once that since this board have been in control they''ve never sold any player against the manager''s wishes.

-------nutty nigel-------Two things to think about here. First it''s untrue Hughton doesn''t play Hoolahan because he''s used him in 9 league games this season which surely means he''s an important squad member.

----------------------------

400 minutes of football. Almost half of that in the last 2 weeks. The only players to have started less league matches than him are E Bennett (1), Becchio (0) and Murphy (0).

Is it any wonder he may have had his head turned by other premiership teams.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]-------nutty nigel-------Two things to think about here. First it''s untrue Hughton doesn''t play Hoolahan because he''s used him in 9 league games this season which surely means he''s an important squad member.

400 minutes of football. Almost half of that in the last 2 weeks. The only players to have started less league matches than him are E Bennett (1), Becchio (0) and Murphy (0).

Is it any wonder he may have had his head turned by other premiership teams.[/quote]

But in a 25 man squad some will play more than others. Or should Hughton divide the games up equally?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]-------nutty nigel-------Two things to think about here. First it''s untrue Hughton doesn''t play Hoolahan because he''s used him in 9 league games this season which surely means he''s an important squad member.

Is it any wonder he may have had his head turned by other premiership teams.[/quote]

But in a 25 man squad some will play more than others. Or should Hughton divide the games up equally?

[/quote]

Hughton should play who he wants when he wants, he is the manager.  I simply stated he hasn''t played much which could explain why he might be interested in a move.  That I think Hoot is wrong to have left him on the sidelines for the vast majority of the season is neither here nor there. 

How would Hootun play all these players to keep everyone happy? I guess poor old Bradders and Snoddy wouldn''t get a look in.

Whatever he does the same people come and complain. My favourite one at the moment is the hysteria when he picked Whittaker over Martin which was nearly as bad as earlier in the season when he picked martin over Whittaker....

Then just for one game couldn''t he pander to the masses on here and play...''

Ruddy

Whittaker Martin Bennett Olsson

Redmond Hoolahan Fox Howson Pilkington

Becchio

-----------nutty nigel-----------

Ruddy

Becchio

------------------------------------

The striker we have not seen play aside, not a bad lineup! Shows just how strong the squad is at Hughton''s disposal.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]-----------nutty nigel-----------

Ruddy

Becchio

The striker we have not seen play aside, not a bad lineup! Shows just how strong the squad is at Hughton''s disposal.[/quote]

Exactly right with the added bonus of no Garrido, Bassong, Turner, Johnson, Fer, Tettey, Snodgrass, Hooper, RVW and Elmander. Everyone''s happy[Y]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Ruddy

Becchio

The striker we have not seen play aside, not a bad lineup! Shows just how strong the squad is at Hughton''s disposal.[/quote]

Exactly right with the added bonus of no Garrido, Bassong, Turner, Johnson, Fer, Tettey, Snodgrass, Hooper, RVW and Elmander. Everyone''s happy[Y]

[/quote]

I get it Nutty, fans are now not allowed to have opinion on players, harmful to the club or some such tripe.....  How long have you been a football fan?

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Ruddy

Becchio

[/quote]

I get it Nutty, fans are now not allowed to have opinion on players, harmful to the club or some such tripe.....  How long have you been a football fan?[/quote]

And where did I say that Foggy?

My point is that Hughton can''t play everyone thhe same. Wes has been an important part of not just the 25 but the 18. There is no replacement for him at the club. Nothing from that remotely suggests that Hughton would want to sell Wes. McNally has said more than once they have not sold one player against the managers wishes....

That''s where I came in the thread and having had you chase me around the block we''re back there again.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Two things to think about here. First it''s untrue Hughton doesn''t play Hoolahan because he''s used him in 9 league games this season which surely means he''s an important squad member.[/quote]As CJF has already pointed out, he may have featured in nine games but the actual amount of time on the pitch puts this statistic into proper perspective.Across four of those games he managed a grand total of 50 minutes (17, 12, 2, 19 mins respectively), and he hasn''t had single game all season where he''s played the full 90 minutes (the 88 against Man Utd the other week was the closest), with the majority falling around 73 minutes (across 5 games), giving a grand total of 418 league minutes.Only Murphy and Benno have had less minutes in our midfield, with even Tettey and Pilks (who''ve spent half the season injured) having been given more game time...So why does such an important squad member get so little playing time if he''s so strongly in Hughton''s plans???The reason is simple - he isn''t in Hughton''s plans the majority of the time, and it doesn''t matter whether this is fair (or even correct judgment) or not, until Hughton changes his mind or another manager comes in, Wes will be stuck on the outskirts of the squad regardless of how well he''s playing when he is brought in...

Anyone who watched our game against Man United and still cannot see that:

(i) Wes is a good premiership player;

(ii) His powers are not on the wane; and

(iii) we as a team generally play better and retain possession better when he is in the team.

does not know very much about football in my opinion.

I know people will bang on about consistency but he''s started 4 or 5 games this season and I don;t think has let us down in any of them. Ok Palace away was not his type of conditions but against United and Palace at home he was our best player whilst he was on the pitch.

Other than that he has started against Everton at home where i don;t think he let us down. I may be wrong but can''t think of any other games he has started for us?

Substitute appearances under Hughton don;t really tell you anything because players never get long enough to make an impact anyway.

Unbeaten run last season - Wes was in the team for most of it and playing well. key wins v WBA and Man City last season. Wes in the team and influential. In fact of our 10 league wins last season he started in 8 of them. When Wes gets a run of games in the side we have our best runs. When he starts being dropped, being brought on off the bench for a few minutes here and there he and we are far less effective.

The following from the BBC sit:

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert admits his squad lacks a creative link between midfield and attack and says he has identified potential players, who are expected to include Norwich''s Wes Hoolahan, 31, and Porto''s Steven Defour, 25.

So PL is struggling to find that creative link between midfield and attack - which seems to be one of the key issues for us. And he thinks Wes might be the answer.

To me this says that it''s hardly rich pickings when trying to find players that fit this role. So if we have one that actually fits the bill in some way then we should hang on to them. At least until an upgrade has been acquired.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="lharman7"]Hoolahan has been tremendous over the years but don''t let sentimental value cloud your judgement.

£2-2.5m would be good business and more realistic but I wouldn''t allow him to go to a premier league rival.[/quote]

How is he declining exactly? The one attribute that appears to decline with age is speed. An attribute that has never been part of his game.

Wes is good for another 2-3 years IMO. Maybe longer. He won''t lose his footballing brain and touch.[/quote]

Ageing is a natural decline. As a footballer you don''t improve with age. Hoolahan is not a vintage wine.

I disagree with you in saying speed was never a part of his game. He was very nippy and could twinkle toe his way out of situations as well as make very good late runs into the box. You can''t do this without having speed. Speed is also a big part in an attacking midfielders game.

Cabaye, Llalana, Oscar, Coutinho, Silva, Ramsey, Hazard and Otzil all have pace and speed. The main reason Wes doesn''t match up anymore is because all these stated AM players all contribute from time to time on the goals for column.

I agree he is good enough for another 2-3 years but not in the premier league. Just my opinion!