Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

norwich agree deal for Johan Elmander

For anyone still doubting this transfer

Direct quotes from Gala''s Chief Exec:

“I can confirm Johan is moving to England. We have agreed with Johan, his new club Norwich and his agent Anders (Wallsten). We wish Johan the best of luck in the future,” Galatasaray technical director Bulent Tulun

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1528911/galatasaray-confirm-norwich-move-johan-elmander?cc=5739

Seems reasonably definitive I guess...

So as usual transfer dealings are kept quiet at CR and we hear the news from the other party.  Which is a good thing IMO.  Always best to play your cards close to your chest.

Would of preferred someone with a better strike rate. Not exactly set the world a light with his record ,

But will give him a fair chance to prove us wrong !!

He''s not set the world alight with his strike rate, no, but neither has Quagliarella - they have fairly similar records. Elmander has done better at international level where he is played as a main striker (a lot of the time he has played a deeper role) and is preferred to Toivonen - who I assume would be even more underwhelming?

As a third striker or someone who can play in the hole I think it''s a good signing.

Would have thought differently if Wolf and Hooper hadn''t been signed already.

Just wondering why there has been no indication yet by the club of an impending press conference. Other signings being completed?

Waveney you''ve expressed your discontent many times so give it a rest. Yes he hasn''t got a great goal scoring record but he hasn''t been signed to score goals. He''s a fantastic creative player and is a great option off the bench. Would rather have him than Quagliarella as we can use the money to sign a top quality centre back.

[quote user="chicken"]Rumours are that terms have been agreed but it''s the medical we are waiting on.[/quote]SSN just said about ten minutes ago that the medical had been completed.

Thanks for the update Morty.

It means that he''ll probably be announced officially tomorrow after the obligatory meal in Yellows and trips to ASDA and Morrisons.

[quote user="chicken"]Thanks for the update Morty.

It means that he''ll probably be announced officially tomorrow after the obligatory meal in Yellows and trips to ASDA and Morrisons.[/quote]Lol, all part of the due process when signing for Norwich!

''I''m so sick of the negative crap on this board.

We have replaced one 32 year old who spent the majority of his career in the lower leagues, with another 32 year old who is a first choice international in a half-decent team, and played an integral part last season for a Champions League Quarter Finalist, and was replaced by Didier Freaking Drogba! AND we''ve made around 1.5-2mill profit doing so.

Not to belittle what Holt has done for this club, he is, and always will be a legend of the highest calibre in my book but seriously, some people on here need to get a grip.

Elmander is bigger than Holt, quicker than Holt, has a better touch than Holt and is equally as good at creating goals, and is a decent finisher too.

Notwithstanding, Holt wanted to leave to be closer to his family and a great opportunity with European football came up, a competition he had never played in.

The main point of the Elmander signing is the void Holt leaves. Can you see Ricky or Hooper taking it to the corner, and keeping it with 2 mins left in a tight 1-0 away? They have their strengths but that aint one of them. Elmander provides us the striker who can hold play up that we have obviously been lacking from the squad. From what I''ve seen of Becchio, he doesnt really offer that either.

"It''s Character Forming" said  - PS I agree with chicken that in the RS friendly Fer looked very effective flicking on headers when he was playing just behind RVW, but he probably does have more to contribute playing deeper.
I didn''t see the RS game but was at Brighton where Fer seemed to be the target for flicking on headers.
Looking back to the Everton game I thought we struggled when Ruddy had to kick, either from a restart or from hand. His only target was Ricky, and flicked headers does not seem to be a strength of his game. Everton simply used Fellaini to double team him, which was very effective for them and put us immediately on the back foot. Also because we were struggling with the long game they were waiting to press when we tried to play out from the back.
I expect Fer to play just behind Ricky at Hull to give another option when we are kicking from the back. Elmander could similarly provide another target man and allow Fer to play a bit deeper where I would hope he could influence play more. So, whilst not being an overwhelming signing, Elmander would be another important piece in the jigsaw that should provide more options in how we play.

On the Holt v Elmander debate. If the reports are to be believed there are only positives it seems to me.
We got a fee for Holt, whereas Elmander is on a free (allegedly), so more money into the transfer pot.
Gala are subsidising Elmanders wages (allegedly), so maybe even a reduction on the wage bill.
Elmander is a better player technically than Holt
Elmander, I assume wants to be here. It looks as though Holt wanted out.

[quote user="kiwigreenandgold"]Why would Gala subsidise his wages??!![/quote]
I am only regurgitating rumours I have read - hence the allegedly.
However if he is on big wages there and they want to move him on - then possibly to facilitate the deal, if his wage demands were a show stopper for us. 
I, of course, have no idea what his wages (subsidised or not) would be relative to Holt. However I can not see us giving big wages over a multi year contract to a 32 year old. So I am speculating that there could be a small wage bill benefit.

Btw we must all sound suprised when Norwich officially announce it other someone will get a telling off for posting the video too soon

Just been tweeted by Norwich City that Johan has asked them to point out that he does not currently have a twitter account. So those ones people were reporting on were fake.

Good business. Happy it''s a loan and we haven''t shelled out a wad of cash for a veteran. Good player, happy.

Are we going to now have a season of debate as to whether Elmander''s loan counts towards out loan limit now?

(*it doesn''t)

We need to step back and look at our strike force.  

After the January window it was Holt/Kamara/Becchio/Jackson. 

Now it''s RVW/Hooper/Elmander/Becchio. 

Also I agree 100% that Elmander gives us something the others lack.  If you look back at the Reading game when we were holding on to a vital 2-1 lead, Holt did a simply excellent job of holding the ball in the corner in the dying seconds.  Not pretty, in an ideal world we''d play lovely football and be 2 or 3 goals up, but in the real world sometimes that''s needed to get points.  And Elmander looks like the guy we''d turn to in that situation.