Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

norwich agree deal for Johan Elmander

Chicken wrote " who is this elmo n der anyway"

Nah chicken its elma n der, swedish half brother of brazilian striker nilmar. They have the same mother, some old lady called wilmar. Who is currently married to another brazilian striker fred.

Somewhat underwhelmed by this possible signing. But if he is a 3rd/4th choice striker, rather than a Wes stand-in, then it was always going to be tough convincing anyone of quality to join. Then again, Wilby was 3rd choice but ended up proving his worth - if only for a short, but important, spell.For me, it''s the central midfield three that need strengthening with real quality. Hope there''s a few cheques left in McNally''s chequebook yet.

Relating the signing of Elmander to Holt leaving is surely pointless, it is quite clear from what Holt said that HE wanted to leave, if Elmander wants to come and play then we should welcome an international to the squad.

It is quite clear that a number of fans didn''t want Holt to leave, have to admit I wasn''t one of them as I felt he had lost the love and wanted to go a longtime before he said it and Elmander is a ready made replacement for that ''type of striker'' and we are getting him for what seems to be nothing.

He may prove to be worth nothing to us but let''s be honest, he''s not going to get in front of RVW and GH.

So in summary, we have replaced a third choice strike in Holt with one of similar stature etc and we got paid to do it, can''t see the problem myself but then again my glass is always half full.....

I just can''t believe that there are still "fans" moaning on this forum after we''ve signed an experienced campaigner, who has ability and some goals in him. He played for a very average team in the PL. He gives us options and some fysical power up front! I think this is another shrewd bit of bussiness by CH , DM and their team. People comparing this to the Harry Kane debacle must have their heads checked!

IMO, Elmander is a very good signing. Like Quagliarella, he plays primarily as a second striker and thus provides another option alongside either RvW or Hooper, and for £10m less than Quagliarella would cost. He also has a proven record over 5 years in the PL with Bolton. Have a look at his own Twitter comments about signing as well as a goal compilation here:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/do...y-on-twitter/?

I hope this leaves money for an ACM or quality CB as well.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]IMO, Elmander is a very good signing. Like Quagliarella, he plays primarily as a second striker and thus provides another option alongside either RvW or Hooper, and for £10m less than Quagliarella would cost. He also has a proven record over 5 years in the PL with Bolton. Have a look at his own Twitter comments about signing as well as a goal compilation here: http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/do...y-on-twitter/? I hope this leaves money for an ACM or quality CB as well.[/quote]

Elamander is an okay signing, and one which slightly confuses me. He''s leaving Gala due to them having too many overseas players but he is also unhappy being 3rd choice there. That''s 3rd choice at a Champions League club, strange he''d be happy to be 3rd choice at a mid-table Premier League team...

Also, he was only at Bolton 3 seasons, and struggled for at least a season and a half, although became very good in his last season. His strength is obviously a plus point, I just worry he isn''t mobile enough anymore.

That isn''t his Twitter account btw, it''s a fake (confirmed by the own account back in 2011). It has managed to fool just about everyone though.

Not being negative at all, I think on a free (if thats right) this is a good signing, but with all the comparisons with Holt, Holt scored 15 Premier League goals in his first season, and 8 last season. Elmanders Premier League record is 18 in 4 seasons at Bolton (from something I read earlier). Yes he''s a Swedish international (with a better scoring record for Sweden than for Bolton) and his goals at Galatasaray looked class.

But he''s the same age as Holt, and by that record, not a better goalscorer. I think he''s a good signing, but Im not sure Id agree he was an improvement on Holt. Holt was perhaps not a special player, but he was special for us, and I dont think his loss can be under-estimated.

I never really rated Elmander for Bolton, but he did very well in Turkey, and for Sweden, and especially on a free I think he''s a very good signing - looking forward to seeing him

So much fuss from a fake twitter account!

With all players, but more so as they get older,  the main question has to be about their appettite,   do they have the drive to perform and push for a place.    I dont know what his current performance levels are like but if they are good he could contribute this season,  I suspect mainly from the bench.   Will he be happy doing that?

He had ability - if he retains it then he could fill a large gap we have,  but at 32 it does not immediately fit with the purchases we have been making.   A plus point would be adding experience to an otherwise young squad. 

Confused but neutral on it overall!

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]IMO, Elmander is a very good signing. Like Quagliarella, he plays primarily as a second striker and thus provides another option alongside either RvW or Hooper, and for £10m less than Quagliarella would cost. He also has a proven record over 5 years in the PL with Bolton. Have a look at his own Twitter comments about signing as well as a goal compilation here: http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/do...y-on-twitter/? I hope this leaves money for an ACM or quality CB as well.[/quote]

Elamander is an okay signing, and one which slightly confuses me. He''s leaving Gala due to them having too many overseas players but he is also unhappy being 3rd choice there. That''s 3rd choice at a Champions League club, strange he''d be happy to be 3rd choice at a mid-table Premier League team...

Also, he was only at Bolton 3 seasons, and struggled for at least a season and a half, although became very good in his last season. His strength is obviously a plus point, I just worry he isn''t mobile enough anymore.

That isn''t his Twitter account btw, it''s a fake (confirmed by the own account back in 2011). It has managed to fool just about everyone though.

[/quote]

My worry too. I think this has to be seen as a short-term (ie one-season) move. But if the general tactical intention is not to start games with a target-man striker then were we ever going to spend a lot of money on that kind of player?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

My worry too. I think this has to be seen as a short-term (ie one-season) move. But if the general tactical intention is not to start games with a target-man striker then were we ever going to spend a lot of money on that kind of player?

[/quote]

Do they include a speed test in the medical?.................I do hope so!

Yelloow Since 72 wrote - "Like Quagliarella, he plays primarily as a second striker..."

Er, no he doesn''t. He is a CF who has played a few games in the SS/AM role. If he signs it will be interesting to see what CH has planned for him though.

When I asked the same question on Twitter yesterday I was informed he often played as SS/AM for Brondby not sure about where he played with Kevin Davies at Bolton or Generally With Ibrahimavic for Sweden though.

We really don''t need just another target man though.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]When I asked the same question on Twitter yesterday I was informed he often played as SS/AM for Brondby not sure about where he played with Kevin Davies at Bolton or Generally With Ibrahimavic for Sweden though. We really don''t need just another target man though.[/quote]

He''s a striker, can drop deeper, but has done less so later on in his career.

Norwich currently don''t have a target man, so I presume that is the role Elmander will play. He will let Norwich go more direct when chasing a game. RvW is obviously a talented striker, but you will get no joy from him just pumping long balls into the box.

So is Elmander here today or is it paper talk? If this twitter account is not his and Swedish press are confirming it, I have not seen this anywhere else but on here! Is this just idle gossip?

[quote user="Indy"]So is Elmander here today or is it paper talk? If this twitter account is not his and Swedish press are confirming it, I have not seen this anywhere else but on here! Is this just idle gossip?[/quote]

The Twitter account is fake, but the signing is happening, Gala have said he is in Norwich having a medical after agreeing terms.

Pictures of him on a plane to England and Galatasaray club president saying he''s signing for us prove its not a rumour. Amazing how you also managed to miss the reports on every single footballing site including Sky Sports

I''d be shocked if this wasn''t the end for Becchio. He is a target man. Tall, strong, holds the ball up well and has a decent touch (see Howsons goal v WBA). Elmander has all those qualities but you can add experience at the highest level to the mix. I''m reliably informed that he still starts regularly for Sweden ahead of Toivonen, so surely he can''t be past it just yet? Perhaps, knowing he has previously done a job in a supporting role, CH feels more comfortable playing him upfront with Hoops or RVW than the two of them together. Plus it''s a fairly safe gamble. Some reports suggest he has been allowed to leave for free. Decent business in my eyes!

I think Becchio has a future at the club and can offer something to have scored as many goals by jan is a quality striker we have - remember we only have 3 strikers and we need 4 encase of injuries

I agree that no-one, however old, would leave a club as a 3rd choice striker and just join another as a 3rd choice. But there is a major difference. He knows that''s his current place at Galatasary, but probably feels he will be given a chance to prove himself at Norwich. Having brough in Wolf and Hooper on paper it looks like he might be lower down the pecking order, but I am sure he will be aiming to make a starting place his own. As others have pointed out, he will also bring something different to the side than Wolf, for example. There may be games and set-ups that demand his type of play, or at least points in games that do. That being the case, perhaps he''s really competing more with Becchio for that role. And I like the idea of having a seasoned campaigner in the side....just as long as he still has a hunger.

my only concern is 18 goals in nearly 100 games for Bolton....

hardly someone we want leading the line long term if injuries mount up

I assume im missing something Wiz.

On the start of this thread (page 3) you state:

"On a free? so I''m ruddy pleased with this signing. [Y]"

But now it''s confirmed, its Harry Kane mark 2?

You''ve lost it. Whatever it was you had. And it wasn''t much, even when you did have it.

I don''t see why Becchio wouldn''t still have a place in City''s squad as one of the four strikers. CH needs cover in the same way he did for GK when Steer moved on. Lambert was willing to gamble with injuries, CH certainly isn''t.

Maybe I should have written ''the end of any hope Becchio has of getting any game time this season.'' I''m still not sold on the idea that we need 4 players to cover one spot in the team. But that is, of course a personal opinion.

I don''t think it will always be a single striker for City. Elmander can play as a second striker or as an ACM (much like Toivonen), so there are more options up front. I still don''t see CH taking a risk with injuries, especially after the scare with Hooper''s shin.

YS72 is right.

I believe Elmander played in more supporting roles whilst at Bolton. If I remember rightly he even played out wide at times.

He could be one to possibly play in the hole.

The one thing I noted from the Real Sociedad game was whilst Fer was played in the hole, the goal kicks were aimed at him to flick on to RVW. I prefered Fer playing deeper as his ability to switch play with accurate long balls was fantastic.

But it may be an option to have Elmander in there to play a similar role, to win stuff in the air, flick it on to the main striker or to win it and get it down and play it.

I think playing an ''Elmander-type'' player as a deeper striker at home, behind RVW, will make us far more dangerous and varied in our attack. 

I would expect us to still play with one up top away from home though. 

As far as the number of strikers go, Hooper is currently out injured and Becchio recently was taken off a game with injury.  Which just goes to show how easy it would be to have two strikers out at the same time; it would be madness to start a Prem game with no strikers on the bench, which would be the result if you only have 3 strikers in the squad.  Plus of course for some games we may play 2 up front, you need to allow for cup games too. 4 strikers is the minimum IMO.

So this looks like a useful signing which hopefully is about to be confirmed.  Clearly it would leave Becchio bottom of the pecking order for strikers, but someone has got to be there.  This is his chance in the Prem and like any player in the squad who''s not starting, he has to wait for his chance as sub or in cup games and do his best.  He scored in pre-season and combined well with Howson for the 4th against WBA.  A useful squad member IMO.