Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

norwich agree deal for Johan Elmander

Binner 1st wrote - ""if you look at the minutes per assist"

oh dear, more meaningless drivel

I suppose Whittaker will be credited with an ''assist'' for RVW''s goal which the saddos will then use as a means of judging him as a player rather than actually evaluating how he played on the days and prior to that.

How did football drag in all these witless window lickers ?

"

Why don''t you piss off back to Ipswich you loud-mouthed tool?

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]People on here seem to assume that he will be a target man like Holt, when that is not his game. He plays as a second striker or as an ACM in a similar way to Toivonen, but to facilitate the striker ahead of him in a creative way, as well as scoring goals himself. Very clever signing, IMO.[/quote]
All evidence seems to point to him playing as a #9 who leads the line rather than a second striker, at least since his early days at Brondby where he played as a second striker. He even plays at the #9 for Sweden, watched back clips of the England game and Ibrahimovic was the one who dropped deep, Elmander led the line. He also wore number 9 at Galatasaray. 
But if Michael Laudrup is happy to play him as an AM then that''s good enough for me. That is the same man who signed an attacking mid and turned him into one of the leagues best hitmen last year..... Michu.... so I''ll take that. 
I think a comparison with Holt is a fair one, they are both very similar, but Holt was not motivated here and hopefully Elmander was. We needed a big man who was strong in the air to replace Holt and now we have one so I''m a happy bunny. Perfect to ruffle up Shawcross and Huth against Stoke for example, and precisely the type of player that Arsene Wenger hates to play against. 
This was a necessary signing who plugs a Holt sized gap in the squad, even if it is just for one year.

For 2 years at Bolton he couldn''t hit a pigs backside with a banjo! He had a bit of a purple patch at the start of his final seadon which made his figures a tad more respectable. I repeat he is not a goalscorer! I accept that with RVW & Hooper it might not be his primary role but a number of people on here refer to his finishing etc & they are simply wrong. You tube footage of Few decent goals proves nothing - there is probably a collection of Robert Rosario goals on you tube somewhere.

I hope he does a job for us but I remain underwhelmed!

[quote user="Evesham Canary"]For 2 years at Bolton he couldn''t hit a pigs backside with a banjo! He had a bit of a purple patch at the start of his final seadon which made his figures a tad more respectable. I repeat he is not a goalscorer! I accept that with RVW & Hooper it might not be his primary role but a number of people on here refer to his finishing etc & they are simply wrong. You tube footage of Few decent goals proves nothing - there is probably a collection of Robert Rosario goals on you tube somewhere.

I hope he does a job for us but I remain underwhelmed![/quote]
Bolton were an extremely cautious team at the time though, basically similar to us last year and they specialized in 1-0 wins and 1-1 draws . Kevin Davies wasn''t prolific at Bolton either.
In fact Elmander scored 1 in 4.9 for Bolton and Kevin Davies scored 1 in 4.79, so he was hardly a disgrace considering how highly Davies was rated and how long Bolton managed to stay in the league by shutting teams out in every game.

If we lose Hooper and RVW to injury is everybody confident Elmander would bag the goals to win us games ? i just cannot see it , no strength in depth in the striking department whatsoever . He was average at Bolton and he is older and probably slower now , poor signing .

[quote user="Prem1"]If we lose Hooper and RVW to injury is everybody confident Elmander would bag the goals to win us games ? i just cannot see it , no strength in depth in the striking department whatsoever . He was average at Bolton and he is older and probably slower now , poor signing .[/quote]
We managed to finish 11th last season with our strikers being Holt, Morison, Kamara, Becchio, Jackson
If you are worried with a strike force of Van Wolfswinkel, Hooper, Elmander and Becchio...
.... then either you have unrealistic expectations and expect us to finish in the top six or are what is commonly known on this board as a "pantwetter".
We have all the strikers we need now. The squad just needs a centre back now.

[quote user="Prem1"]If we lose Hooper and RVW to injury is everybody confident Elmander would bag the goals to win us games ? i just cannot see it , no strength in depth in the striking department whatsoever . He was average at Bolton and he is older and probably slower now , poor signing .[/quote]And if we lose Ruddy and Bunn to injury is everybody confidant that Nash would save the goals to win us games ?And if we lose Hughton and Calderwood to injury is everybody confidant that Trollope would motivate the team to win us games ?No strength in depth in the club at all. We are doomed.

Just spat my rum out with what The New Boy just said. Totally agree - best thing he''s said. 3 new bad boys at the top of the shop compared to last season and people still not happy.

Attention now turns to that Wizard

I still don''t see Elmander as just filling the 3rd striker slot. There''s more to his game than that and it''s not the way CH thinks. Much may depend on his fitness as to whether he will start games or come on as an impact sub, but I think he can provide that vital link between midfield (especially Fer) and the striker(s) as well as wide players cutting in. The fact that he will add goals too is a major bonus.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72 I still don''t see Elmander as just filling the 3rd striker slot. There''s more to his game than that and it''s not the way CH thinks. Much may depend on his fitness as to whether he will start games or come on as an impact sub, but I think he can provide that vital link between midfield (especially Fer) and the striker(s) as well as wide players cutting in. The fact that he will add goals too is a major bonus. quote]

Yup, what he said.