Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Hughton Gets Lucky - Thank God!

Fear not, the large grey cloud overhead, secreting momentary drizzle and drabness will pass and drift away into total obscurity quite quickly. 

"RUDOLPH HUCKER"Oooh! Here comes the name calling.

And what precisely were you expecting??

Finally a day of relief after weeks of stress and worry and you come up with this doozy of a thread. Sweet Jesus!!

"Shouldn''t you be, I don''t know, enjoying today''s result rather than trying to start arguments?"

Chops has put my overriding thought in a more succinct manner.

F OFF the guy has potentially pulled the biggest tactical nous that has made us survive this season. Give him the begining of next season then enjoy humble pie and wiping egg off your face.

Regardless of the fact he had little to do, Norwich immediately look stronger with Ruddy between the posts.

Holt, Howson and Johnson(possibly) produced their best form of the season today.

Ryan Bennett confirmed, along with recent performances, why we paid the transfer fee we did.

Becchio''s biggest contribution of the season.

The full-backs showing plenty of eagerness to get forward.

Hughton must have learnt a lot from today''s performance. The shackles should come off the players far more readily than has often been the case.

The overlapping runs of both full backs were a revelation and they both looked so much more confident . We do have many good players, I hope that we will take this performance into next season, that the manager will see this formation as a genuine option for him to use, and all will be good.

"Shouldn''t you be, I don''t know, enjoying today''s result rather than trying to start arguments?"

What do you mean chops? The championship season is finished?

Well done Hughton, you have achieved your objective!! I look forward to next season!

Time to judge is the first half of next season (if need be). We''ve a summer of wheeling and dealing and improving the team.

Christ we could still finish higher than last season yet.

[quote user="unique"]Regardless of the fact he had little to do, Norwich immediately look stronger with Ruddy between the posts. Holt, Howson and Johnson(possibly) produced their best form of the season today. Ryan Bennett confirmed, along with recent performances, why we paid the transfer fee we did. Becchio''s biggest contribution of the season. The full-backs showing plenty of eagerness to get forward. Hughton must have learnt a lot from today''s performance. The shackles should come off the players far more readily than has often been the case.[/quote]

Unique, I have no wish to distract from your positive input, however, I would like to give my opinion regarding Grant Holt. When we win a game I realize there is a tendency to get caught up in the "praise game" and, conversely, the opposite is true when we lose a game, where we often fail to observe the effort. Holt did his job today and we needed that. In the Aston Villa game, however, I thought Holt was immense, despite our loss. I would bet any amount of money if we could have a frank discussion with the Villa defenders after the game that night they would readily admit all they wanted to do was rest their weary bodies. They had been in a battle with a bruiser and they knew it.

Rude old, I think you are pi$$ing up your own leg.Give it a rest and enjoy the next few months.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I am delighted for the supporters and the players - Norwich City remain a Premier League side and should go on to become established.

Hughton has achieved his brief.

But to evaluate Hughton''s abilities as manager off the back of one outstanding performance is frankly ridiculous and short sighted and typical of so many football supporter where redemption is ever present.

Hughton''s hand was forced, just as his substitutions during the season were forced with the changes dictated by the opposition coach. He had no option today which does not make him a tactical genius.

Why do people see him as a victim of circumstances when we lose 5 - 0 at Fulham and go on a winless streak but praise him when we win, you can''t have it both ways and the fact is he has dabbled with our survival and our patience with his insipid restrictive style and lack of imagination.

Today was about the supporters and the players, not him.

Hughton will now get a chance to take the job forward and spend some serious money on new players but he has a very long way to go and as it is in our interests that he succeeds because Norwich City will succeed and Norwich City is far more important than any manager.[/quote]

Ok have quoted the OP (such as I could - why the quote button on this forum isn''t more old fogey friendly I do not know!) to help keep my response to your points Rudolph.

''Hughton has achieved his brief'' indeed he has and, on this at least we can agree. Where I think we differ is in our appreciation of just how hard a job that was. When lambert left we had just limped our way to the end of an otherwise excellent first premiership season, but we looked short on depth and ideas...a win over a truly dire Aston Villa maybe made us look a bit better than we were. His successor I really do think had a tough task ahead.

''After one outstanding performance'' - nope. Sorry. Performances against Man U, Spurs, Arsenal, Man City, Everton were also great . This is a sour comment and does not recognise some of the excellent performances we have enjoyed this season

''Fans who Praise him when we win'' - firstly, we are norwich fans - that is what we are supposed to do. Secondly, how on earth is that any different to your slate him when we lose and claim he gets lucky when he wins approach?

''Hughton has a very long way to go''- yes, and so still has our club and many of our players in terms of their own development and I hope that he is given the time and patience of all NCFC fans to do so. I for one am confident in the quality of player he sources (cant wait for RVW - although again I hope we cut the lad enough slack if he doesn''t score a hat trick in each of his first five games!) and that we will be a better team both in terms of quality and results next season.

''Today was about the players and supporters not him'' since when do we differentiate as to who is allowed to celebrate a win? The players looked pretty happy to celebrate the third goal with their boss.

I''m sorry Rudolph - I really don''t get where such a negative and mean-spirited post can come from after a performance like that? Is there anything he can do to win you over? Serious question - what would it take?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Norwich City home record: P18 W7 D7 L4I''m glad he was lucky 7 times, or we''d have been relegated.  And thank goodness he was a bit lucky 7 more times, or we''d have scored no points at home at all this season.[/quote]

^^^^^^ Exactly, nail on head Mr C.

I have no doubt Rude Old is happy we survived, have no idea where the "lucky" thing comes from. The season is about how many points are accrued over 38 games, under Chris Hughton Norwich City have accrued enough points to stay in the Premiership, which is no mean feat. The 5-0 defeat at Fulham was the catalyst for the signing of the likes of Bassong, for that we have to say that Chris Hughton got it right, as fans we have to acknowledge the good 1st half of the season as much as the less than satisfactory 2nd half of the season, personally I put that down to unfortunate injuries to key players. My belief is that now the club is debt free Norwich City will be a different proposition next season....

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I am delighted for the supporters and the players - Norwich City remain a Premier League side and should go on to become established.

Hughton has achieved his brief.

But to evaluate Hughton''s abilities as manager off the back of one outstanding performance is frankly ridiculous and short sighted and typical of so many football supporter where redemption is ever present.

Hughton''s hand was forced, just as his substitutions during the season were forced with the changes dictated by the opposition coach. He had no option today which does not make him a tactical genius.

Why do people see him as a victim of circumstances when we lose 5 - 0 at Fulham and go on a winless streak but praise him when we win, you can''t have it both ways and the fact is he has dabbled with our survival and our patience with his insipid restrictive style and lack of imagination.

Today was about the supporters and the players, not him.

Hughton will now get a chance to take the job forward and spend some serious money on new players but he has a very long way to go and as it is in our interests that he succeeds because Norwich City will succeed and Norwich City is far more important than any manager.[/quote]Give Mr Hughton some credit...he has pulled a rabbit out of the hat and defied the laws of gravity! We were in complete disarray at the biginning after Judas walked out on us and to come in on short notice and have a limited amount of time and budget to keep us in with the dynasty you have to admire him!Yes... I agree I am not his greatest fan when it comes to tactical substitutions and team selections but next season he should have more of an arsenal to go out and purchase more offensive playmakers to really kick on and cement ourselves in this affluent league. Would you have preferred us to fold this afternoon and be on the other end of a four nil drubbing taking us into our own cup final on the last game of the season?

Good job we were playing WBA in such imperious form today then. Yes, great news we''re safe but had it been a form team, then Tuesday might have been more urgent. 2 from 19 is probably Premiership sack stats. Need to ensure that today is not seen as papering over the cracks.