Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

everton game

Its a over a week away and excluding ruddy its looking like everyones fit, who would you play.

Bunn

Whittaker turner bassong garrido

Snodgrass tettey johnson hoolahan

Holt becchio

Camp martin fox bennett pilkington jackson kamara

Bunn 
Whittaker Bassong Turner Garrido 
Snodgrass Tettey Johnson Pilkington 
Holt Becchio
Camp, Martin, Howson, Bennet, Hoolahan, Kamara, Fox
ftfy

[quote user="alartz"]You must be bored

Bunn

Whittaker bassong turner garrido

Johnson

Snodgrass Pilks

Hoolahan

Kamara Becchio

Camp holt fox E Bennett Martin Jackson R Bennett[/quote]
Can I ask why you''ve dropped Tettey completely?

Alartz hates tettey. U think hughton would play pilks, snodgrass, hoolahan, kamara and becchio. Remember hughtons r manager not lambert

[quote user="SuperZakWhitbread"]Its a over a week away and excluding ruddy its looking like everyones fit, who would you play.

Bunn

Whittaker turner bassong garrido

Snodgrass tettey johnson hoolahan

Holt becchio

Camp martin fox bennett pilkington jackson kamara[/quote]I wouldn''t be too unhappy with this.[Y]

Bunn

Martin, Turner, Bassong, Garrido

Johnson Tettey

Snodgrass Kamara

Holt Becchio

Sorry Wes!

Should probably explaing excluding Wes - we need to be more direct, get bodies in the box

Hughton may surprise us all. bring holt on after 60 mins being 0-0.

The horse, angry by being dropped to the bench, scores a Brace. Hughtons a hero. Holt is again the goal machine everyone is happy again.

Get real

I don''t reckon Russell Martin''s done much wrong and he ought to keep his place.  Neither do I reckon Hoolahan ought to be played out wide left as you suggest.

Now, Bor would put Fox alongside Johnson in centre mid, to give us better and quicker distribution to feet.  Don''t know if anyone else noticed but I reckon our play against Fulham was laboured because the wide passing was behind or directly to the winger, and Fox ought to be able to sort that out by rolling it into their path to keep our momentum going.

That ought to give us better service to the front man (or men) though i would keep Hoolahan and bench Becchio so that''s more of that 4 5 1 to start with.

I go with AJ on his take on Hoolahan in that we need a more direct approach by playing Holt and Becchio so he is the one to be sacrificed.

We should start playing our strongest available team again:

Bunn

Whittaker Bassong Turner Garrido

Tettey

snodgrass hoolahan pilkington

becchio

holt

I''d like to see Snodgrass shifted inside into Hoolahans position, with Wes having another try out in left midfield. I say this simply due to Snodgrass'' shooting ability, which to be fair I think is the one area of the game Hoolahan just doesn''t have in his locker. Snoddy may be able to conjure something from the 25 yard half chances that Wes always tries to jink his way through instead of sticking his laces through them.

Everton have a solid 5 man midfield and so if we are to go 442 I would chose a different game to start that way - soton, reading are better choices.

For me Everton is not a must win game,   they are one of the leagues better sides and as with Spurs I will be very happy with a draw,  ecstatic with a win.   A defeat is possible but wnat out undefeated run to continue.

I feel that with bassongs leadership the current back 4 is good enough;  and I am not sure whittaker adds enough to drop martin.

I would make no changes to the fulham side - same formation but defend a little further up the pitch,  bassong has enough pace to cover jelavic from a ball over the top.

Likewise in midfield I would stick with the same 5.   again 10 yards up the pitch and get beyond the striker.  Wes?   makes us tick and is more influential than Snod.   Howson is not a viable alternative although holt back there may be,  however he would not give the same defensve mobility or energy that wee wes brings.   Put simply its noticable when we dont have him.

My only question is who should lead the line - probably Holt.   But when he starts to tire after 65-75 mins swap for becchio who proved himslef an able understudy against Fulham,  and if chasing the game also kamara to add a bit of the unexpected for the attacking midfielder having teh quietest game.

Be patient - Everton is not an game to go all out for a win.   442 later in the season maybe.

Great post Zip. I pretty much agree with all of that. Maybe Whittaker for Martin because he moves the ball faster and is more positive in the opponents half of the field. But Everton''s real attacking strength is on that side of the pitch so discipline should be the order of the day.

Probably Holt to lead the line for me too. But the new signings give us real options from the bench should we need them. The alternative for me, and an interesting one, would be to play Holt in an advanced Wes role behind Kamara.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Everton have a solid 5 man midfield and so if we are to go 442 I would chose a different game to start that way - soton, reading are better choices.

For me Everton is not a must win game,   they are one of the leagues better sides and as with Spurs I will be very happy with a draw,  ecstatic with a win.   A defeat is possible but wnat out undefeated run to continue.

I feel that with bassongs leadership the current back 4 is good enough;  and I am not sure whittaker adds enough to drop martin.

I would make no changes to the fulham side - same formation but defend a little further up the pitch,  bassong has enough pace to cover jelavic from a ball over the top.

Likewise in midfield I would stick with the same 5.   again 10 yards up the pitch and get beyond the striker.  Wes?   makes us tick and is more influential than Snod.   Howson is not a viable alternative although holt back there may be,  however he would not give the same defensve mobility or energy that wee wes brings.   Put simply its noticable when we dont have him.

My only question is who should lead the line - probably Holt.   But when he starts to tire after 65-75 mins swap for becchio who proved himslef an able understudy against Fulham,  and if chasing the game also kamara to add a bit of the unexpected for the attacking midfielder having teh quietest game.

Be patient - Everton is not an game to go all out for a win.   442 later in the season maybe.

[/quote]

I half agree with that and half not. On paper a draw would be an OK result. But if we don''t win then we will have gained no wins at all from the last ten games, against: WBA, Chelsea, Man City, West Ham, Newcastle, Liverpool, Spurs, QPR, Fulham and Everton.

On that basis where are the at least two wins we probably need coming from in the last 11 games? I won''t list the fixtures but in terms of difficulty the spread of teams we are playing is roughly equal to that previous ten. Some of the home games that seemed reasonably easy a while ago, such as Southanpton and Reading, look anything but now.

That said, if the Everton game at least shows that Becchio and Kamara are a distinct improvement on Morison and Jackson then that may help us later on turn what would have been a draw into a win. But that may mean Hughton having to accept the possibility of a draw turning into a defeat.

I do agree PC,  10 games without a win would be a concern of course,   I think the 451 will give us the best chance of winning against Evertion - as it addresses their strengths as well as gets our best players on the pitch.    The key difference is the use of the sub options and doing as we did against Spurs - raise our game,  play in their faces and in their half.

I sound like Hughton when I say Everton have a very capable midfield which in a 5 v 4 of a 442 is very likely to over run us,   increasing the chances of a damaging defeat.   We are not facing a newcastle or fulham but a team much closer to Spurs.   we should not fear them but putting ourselves in a position to be over run is just as damaging as a defeat in a 451. 

We do have some extremely winnable home games coming up,  not easy given our lack of goals and current run,  but once we should be looking to be more attacking - and facing less able midfield 5s can probably use a 442 more effectively to win the game.

I would play our normal starting 11 but replace Pilkington with Kamara at start.

That way Snoddy would have 2 heads to target from right side of the field.

Also Hoolahan would have chance for a bit deeper role which benefit his late runs which he is better than free roaming.

Not to mention we could still play both of our defencive middlefielders and have Hoolahan with two strikers, thought we would miss one real winger.

For the sake of offering the minority view again, I disagree. Our inability to both play for a win and, indeed, even score has become critical. We may eek out a 0-0 playing 4-5-1. Equally, we may slip to a narrow Fellaniesc defeat. We would more than likely fail to score and not take the opportunity of playing Becchio and Holt together.

Play 4-4-2 and, perhaps, the likelihood of defeat (cf a draw) increases but- in my opinion- the likelihood of at least scoring and, possibly, even winning also increases.

I still think there is considerable complacency as to how easy it will be to defeat the other teams at CR - all of whom are fighting for their survival. We should have taken this approach against Newcastle and Fulham.

It''s time to have the courage to try and beat Everton before we run out of games to change tactics.

Bunn

Whittaker Martin Bassong Garrido

Pilks Johnson Tetty Snodgras

Holt/becchio kamara

Would drop turner and put Martin in his place with Whittaker to return as Martin is by far a better player,

Get rid of wes as I deal his game is not been up to scratch 2 goals and 2 assists is not good enough IMHO and is just taking a place of another striker,

Really want kamara to start and if he doesn''t ill be very angry

[quote user="Highland Canary"]For the sake of offering the minority view again, I disagree. Our inability to both play for a win and, indeed, even score has become critical. We may eek out a 0-0 playing 4-5-1. Equally, we may slip to a narrow Fellaniesc defeat. We would more than likely fail to score and not take the opportunity of playing Becchio and Holt together. Play 4-4-2 and, perhaps, the likelihood of defeat (cf a draw) increases but- in my opinion- the likelihood of at least scoring and, possibly, even winning also increases. I still think there is considerable complacency as to how easy it will be to defeat the other teams at CR - all of whom are fighting for their survival. We should have taken this approach against Newcastle and Fulham. It''s time to have the courage to try and beat Everton before we run out of games to change tactics.[/quote]

Your view is not dissimilar to mine. As I said above, it is not obvious where the wins are going to come from. Where I am more optimistic than you is that I suspect until now Hughton just didn''t think he had the players to attack with two up front. I wouldn''t be too disheartened by Hughton settling for a draw against Everton, providing in some of the following games he is prepared to gamble more. If, having recruited Becchio and Kamara, he sticks to his ultra-cautious approach all through the remaining games then I really would start to worry.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]For the sake of offering the minority view again, I disagree. Our inability to both play for a win and, indeed, even score has become critical. We may eek out a 0-0 playing 4-5-1. Equally, we may slip to a narrow Fellaniesc defeat. We would more than likely fail to score and not take the opportunity of playing Becchio and Holt together. Play 4-4-2 and, perhaps, the likelihood of defeat (cf a draw) increases but- in my opinion- the likelihood of at least scoring and, possibly, even winning also increases. I still think there is considerable complacency as to how easy it will be to defeat the other teams at CR - all of whom are fighting for their survival. We should have taken this approach against Newcastle and Fulham. It''s time to have the courage to try and beat Everton before we run out of games to change tactics.[/quote]

I do agree we need to be more attacking - hence moving up the pitch in our approach.  The 451 against spurs was a good display - we need more of them,  up the pitch, high energy.

My only worry with 442 is that our record with it is attrocious - even against non league clubs.    I have more concerns about the centre midfield coping in  a 442 than I do whether the strikers are up to it.

This is why I suggest we play Holt in Hoolahan''s role. It gives us a more attacking slant to the current formation. But anyway formations are fluid. IMO people get too bogged down by the rigid numbers. I have seen Hoolahan playing higher than Holt when they are together. This isn''t a computer game.