Sign in to follow this  
swjf50

What do we need to improve?

I think we need another attacking creative goalscoring midfielder who can play with both feet to challenge Hoolahan for a place in the team, plus another tried and tested goal poacher to add to Holt, Kamara and Becchio.

What do you think we need?

Obviously a top quality striker. I''d get a young left back with high potential and Garrido on a Perm. Also snap up Kamara and cover for Tettey and Johnson (Bridcutt?). And finally a left winger and a centre back.

A winger with electrifying pace, preferably one who can play either wing, although Andros Towsend will do.

We have Snodgrass/Bennett on the right, we have Pilkington/???? on the left.

I''d like to see another quality center half, and with Barnett, Ward and probably Ayala leaving, we will certainly need to sign somebody in that position.

And a clinical striker. Those three positions are the most important for me.

" center half"  .............a half man half horse ?

What we need matters little at the moment as there''s nothing we can do about it till the summer. Then I expect Jackson to move on, as most likely Hooly and a possibility, Holt.

As to Kamara I would suggest the deal is pretty much tied up as far as we are concerned, assuming he lives up to our expectations - which at the moment he is well on target to do.

As to elsewhere I expect both Tierney and Barnett to move.

A point to remember is with the extra money coming in it does allow us to hold onto players such as Smith, Adeyami, Vaughan, Steer and Butterfield to see how they develop whilst out on loan.

I dunno, I would miss the friendly banter with fans of other clubs

"Then I expect Jackson to move on, as most likely Hooly and a possibility, Holt"

Why Hoolahan and Holt? I can''t think any good reason why either would move on in the summer, Hoolahan just signed a new deal?

Jackson seems inevitable, he needs to go for the sake of his career, his stock remains pretty high in the Championship.

Whittaker perfectly good cover at LB.  Need striker maybe to replace Holt, bustling centre forward type and a poacher, possibly Hooper not at £8m though.  Sign Kei now he can operate on wings EB good cover on the right.  Agree creative midfielder would be welcomed.  A decent CB to complement SB and MT please, not sure Ryan B is the answer.  4 signings to supplement the squad.

Can CH get EB and Pilks signed up to a new 3 year contract. 

At the moment we lack anyone who by sheer quality is a match winner. We have thrived hitherto on a team approach, with everybody making a contribution. We lack pace, we lack vision and we lack scoring ability. (If Kei continues where he left off on Saturday, he may go a long way towards an improvement in the striking area.)

I would like to see us sign one or two players who by pace or skill can change the course of a game and win it for us. The nearest we have is Snoddy, but he is not the complete player as he lacks pace.

It may be that we shall have to think of signing some players with potential and grow them up. I think that we have to think of improvement in some areas of the team, and that this will be a gradual and accumulative process.

We have to plan to improve until we have a real prospect of offering European football to any prospective player. (Comments on Arsene Wenger were that, as he has little prospect of European football next season, he will struggle to sign outstanding players. If it is true of him, how much more of us as we have a limited experience of Europe and Premiership.) I think that we could improve the strikers and creative midifelders areas, and also fullback. Garrido can be iffy at times, and Martin and Whittaker lack pace, and there is little if any cover there, so we have to think of signing at least one very good fullback.

In fact probably the only area where we do not need improvement is goal-keeping. We have two excellent  keepers currently and our supply line continues to produce good local keepers.

CB cover
LB cover
DM 
Winger with pace, someone like miyachi perhaps
2 strikers, 1 if Kei stays
I think Hughton will look to bring in a couple of real quality players, judging by the attempts to bring in the Winkle and that quality DM last summer (if rumours are to be beleived) coupled with ''or largest transfer budget ever!''
Newcastle is the type of club we wont to be following with regards to transfer dealings, how they manage to bring over these world class players on the cheap i don''t know, but lets have some of the same!

Match winner? Snodgrass? Very industrious both going forward and tracking back. Part of me would like to see what he is like in the middle of the park, he has the attributes to make it in there.

For me the likely outs are to be: C.Martin, Jackson - both out of contract come the summer, Tierney, L.Barnett and Fox.

I suspect that either Ayala will be given Barnett''s slot or he will also be moved on with another centre back being brought in - Curtis Davies being the obvious one. It''s possibly we could loose R.Bennett too and if he goes I suspect Hughton may look for another young and hungry defender to take his place. We will also need an understudy to Garrido should he be signed and Tierney released.

Midfield wise I think we are good on the wings with Snodgrass, E.Bennett, Pilkington and Surman (who appears to be rated by Hughton but out with a long injury) - obviously Hoolahan can cover there too.

Cen Mid we currently have: Johnson, Tettey, Howson, Fox and of next season I believe Smith and possibly Adeyemi will be of the age to be named as squad members or not. I can see Fox going to be honest. Like Hoolahan he works well when you have other players doing the physical stuff. What we really need is a player a bit like Bridcutt who can get stuck in but is also capable of playing the ball about and pulling some strings.

Strikers is obvious to me, with C.Martin and Jackson going it would leave us with the three that were involved against Everton. We will need at least one other. I suspect that we shall get one more tried and tested striker as well as perhaps a younger player who may not count towards the squad total, around the age of 20/21.

For me though it is down the middle still where we need strengthening. Curtis Davies and Bridcutt would definitely help there as not only would they push for a starting position but they would also help ensure that injuries and/or suspensions don''t leave us as open as they have this season.

[quote user="priceyrice"]CB cover
LB cover
DM 
Winger with pace, someone like miyachi perhaps
2 strikers, 1 if Kei stays
I think Hughton will look to bring in a couple of real quality players, judging by the attempts to bring in the Winkle and that quality DM last summer (if rumours are to be beleived) coupled with ''or largest transfer budget ever!''
Newcastle is the type of club we wont to be following with regards to transfer dealings, how they manage to bring over these world class players on the cheap i don''t know, but lets have some of the same!
[/quote]

Whilst they may be cheap in terms of transfer fees I very much doubt any of their players are paid less than the likes of Holt and Bassong.

Also remember that some of the players they have signed were to be out of contract in the summer.

At this point it is hard to know who we should model ourselves on as although we will have more money than before we will not have wealthy owner to supplement this or the international fanbase that some clubs like Newcastle have that increases the club revenues.

We have money in the bank. Saved by not paying over the odds in the Jan window. Some prudent scouring of various leagues around the world will bring us some cover in defence at little cost. That will leave plenty of lolly for a striker (RvW?). We won''t see the kind of level of movement we have over the last two summers: 2 or 3 out and 2 or 3 in. Nice position to be in.

Holt out....did I read that correctly? Just exactly why would that happen? We need at least one more quality striker in.... not let our best one and captain go.

What do we need to improve........for me, the most important thing that needs to improve.....the expectations of some of our so called supporters...reality check required big time..... on how just how far we have come and what we can achieve forthe rest of this season and over next few seasons.....   

Keep Kei if he keeps doing well, Sell Jackson and get in a class striker (RvW please)

A good DM and a Good crative MF plus maybe another left winger.

Cover for LB and CB also I would say.

Martin and Whittaker can cover right back, bassong, turner and Bennett will be here so yes another more senior centre back would be helpful, left back garrido and cover is needed.

Midfield, we do need genuine pace on the flanks, Snodgrass is first choice pilky and Elliott Bennett have not shone this season and with two seasons in the prem they should be by now. We will need a genuine threat out wide. Surman of course can be involved with butterfield coming back. Hoops in the middle but we also need that other goal scoring midfield threat. Tettey, Johnson and Howson will be here in the middle but we will need a new addition.

Upfront we need two starting strikers, becchio will be doing a good job, as will holty but with no other permanent strikers on our books that are likely to be here next year. We need quality that can look to score more than 10 goals a season. Rwp is on that list for me, we need a few players of genuine quality.

The squad players that will be leaving will need to be replaced by better than what we have in our first team. It could be the most exciting transfer window for a some time.

Lets guarantee safety and then I hope we start moving quick shifting players and bringing a few in. With contracts finishing at the end of June we will have to wait a while for ward, Jackson, c Martin to leave. Fox needs to move on, Ayala probably now needs to move on as we need genuine quality in every position across our team.

We really could begin to build a team for premiership stability but we still need 5-6 starters and then our bench will be upgraded and then our squad will be upgraded etc. a premiership squad of 25 is required so that injuries and suspensions are covered.

Again I cannot see a player in our first team being on the move, we do have players who have performed very well but I cannot see a team jumping to get them.

In terms of gaps that will be there in the summer; Garrido is only a loan as far as I''m aware, so left back is a priority. Then a clinical striker. Then a ball playing holding midfielder.

If we get those three positions covered, then we''ve got every box ticked and any further transfers will either be squad players, or improving upon what we''ve already got (ie; a really classy attacking midfielder or a real quality winger to come in ahead of Hoolahan and Pilks/Snodgrass).

Depending on how much we spend on the three key positions above, I''d expect we then sign largely squad players rather than quality improvements on other areas.

I do not see squad players coming in.

I see genuine quality to stretch our first 11, bench and to really push our squad.

I expect 5 players to come in and push for starting spots.

2 strikers, wide player, left back are the starters for me and then a central midfield option to push Johnson and tettey with maybe a little more poise.

We have a lot of weak squad players that should be on the move. We have a good squad but you must improve this first 11 well first team team sheet and subs.

I''m with Morty on this one. I am sure Hughton backed by the board will bring in some splendid new diamonds but if he could off load or loan out a few so called fans that would be good too.

I don''t think we''ll get away without selling some of our better players this time unfortunately.  I think we might start to see seriously big bids for some of the midfield. (and I wouldn''t mind selling if the money is reinvested as I expect it would be).
So, I''d say we need replacements in the squad for Jackson, Barnett, Fox and Tierney, to sign up Garrido and Kamara and possibly another left winger, depending on what happens with Surman.  That would give us 2 good players for all positions I think.
After all that, any extra quality we can get our hands on.

"Lets guarantee safety and then I hope we start moving quick shifting players and bringing a few in. With contracts finishing at the end of June we will have to wait a while for ward, Jackson, c Martin to leave. Fox needs to move on, Ayala probably now needs to move on as we need genuine quality in every position across our team."

eh ?

We cannot start to bring in, sell, move or anything else until the season is over irrespective of our league position.

However the board and the coaching staff will be reviewing the whole playing staff on a very regular basis and will have indentified who they wish to sign, sell, loan out, release etc throughout the year. This will be needed not only for longer term planning and development but to deal with injuries and players wishing to move on themselves.

In that light I''m fairly certain the club already knows who won''t be here come Aug 31st and who they expect and want to be here as new players likewise.

That will depend on whether or not they know their budget, suspect they have a rough idea of income but there are numerous variables (league position one of them of course, as you have already touched upon in another thread).

City 1st I am only to well aware that planning for signings and awareness of players of contracts is well planned. With I presume there thoughts on the jan. window in the summer as. You cannot have an overload of the squad in the summer.

Just noting that as soon as the season finishes this board is waiting for some action in the transfer market. contracts will end at the end of June and then we will see what numbers we have (as in us the fans).

It is very exciting, but to be there with our premiership position secure is number one priority. When we have that we can look at those squad players who can move easily (out of contract) and those that may be able to free up positions in the 25 with loans or permanent moves out ( as crofts did last year)

Either way we will need some improvements across the board just to keep us fresh and equipped to have a better first 11 and squad than three teams coming up and a few that stay up. We really can build something.

Quick run down:

Camp leaves, Ruddy and Bunn will be enough to do a good job for us.

Ward and Ayala most likely to leave, although adequately covered at the moment, if Barnett leaves (it''s a possibility) might leave us a little short so might need to bring in another CB

Garrido to sign on perm, plus another left back (Shaw of Southampton if they go down?) - Tierney looking likely to leave

RB covered by Martin and Whittaker would be good for any bottom half prem side

DM: Fox to leave? Tettey and Johnson have been massive for us, and Howson has put in a few tidy shifts although it''s obviously not his favoured position. Looking likely we''ll need to bring in another DM.

Pilks needs back up, that is clear - Surman is great cover but he''s not a winger - he''s a midfielder. So definitely need a left winger.

Right wing fully covered by Snodgrass and Benno - gotta be pretty happy with that selection choice!

AM: Hoolahoop and Howson is fairly decent cover. We''ve no idea how Butterfield will turn out, but for me I''d be looking to bring in another option to give us some choice.

FWD: Holt, Kamara, Becchio and a new signing, most likely Hooper or RvW. That''s a really decent choice of strikers for any bottom half prem side - we would be very happy with that! Sadly it means Jackson, Vaughan and Martin are all likely to get the chop.

So, a CB, a LB (plus Garrido) a DM, a left winger and a new forward.

Looking at at least 5 or 6 players to arrive in the summer I would think, with about the same number leaving

Luke Shaw? No chance.

Chelsea and Arsenal are heavily linked, and he is a Chelsea fan.

£10m is the price tag being mentioned. Considering the amounts that they have got for Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, and Bale, I wouldn''t expect him to go for much less than £8m.

Neither would they be under any pressure to sell assuming that their rich owners stick around.