Sign in to follow this  
Fozzy1183

Looks like Hooper is on his way !

It appears to be common knowledge that Hooper wants to play in the EPL, and that was always his ultimate goal even when he moved to Celtic. Therefore, he hasn''t signed a contract yet. That said, I would personally be surprised he moves before the Summer, given Celtic''s Champions League run. He may want to stick around for that, ride out the transfer storm in January, while never actually signing a contract, then leave with a year left in the Summer

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Carlton Canary"]Journalists are paid to sell newspapers and grab attention. Local journos want to build a relationship with a club so they can get inside info etc... but it is rare they leak proper info as it could jeopardise the relationship they have with the club.

National journos on the other hand couldn''t give a shit, so if they have something, they will tell everyman and his dog. Our local boys might have more info than they are letting on but nothing will have been given away in the public eye.

Also, judging by the way the club do their business these days, we would probably see Hooper in the match day squad before we heard he''d signed![/quote] I think its more a case of our local journalists not having any real info. All they seem to do these days is report back on what the national journalists are saying. Things may improve a bit under Hoot as he''s more personable but i think this is because under McNally and Lambert the local press was basically starved of any info at all and it still appears to be pretty locked down. what tends to get out though is the stuff via the agents and its the national media guys who tend to know and mix with the football agents.[/quote]

I suppose you could be right, but we will never really know. I just feel local journalists need the relationship with the club to be strong so they can get plenty of info on breaking news once it has actually broken.

I understand what you say about agents as they''ll leak anything to gain a few quid and are just trying to bleed football dry!

CH has dismissed the Hooper rumours:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city-fc/norwich_city_boss_chris_hughton_scotches_talk_of_gary_hooper_transfer_bid_1_1789391

Not as definite on Graham and Becchio though!

I don''t really understand the people moaning on here. But I still reckon most of you would welcome him with open arms. The posters who mention an extra option up front are completely right imo! We don''t really have that now...I mean I think a 4-4-2 option is a must. A different way of playing will be needed to get results, ''cause the 4-5-1 has been found out, the opposition know what to expect from NCFC.

[quote user="Carlton Canary"]

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Carlton Canary"]Journalists are paid to sell newspapers and grab attention. Local journos want to build a relationship with a club so they can get inside info etc... but it is rare they leak proper info as it could jeopardise the relationship they have with the club.

National journos on the other hand couldn''t give a shit, so if they have something, they will tell everyman and his dog. Our local boys might have more info than they are letting on but nothing will have been given away in the public eye.

Also, judging by the way the club do their business these days, we would probably see Hooper in the match day squad before we heard he''d signed![/quote] I think its more a case of our local journalists not having any real info. All they seem to do these days is report back on what the national journalists are saying. Things may improve a bit under Hoot as he''s more personable but i think this is because under McNally and Lambert the local press was basically starved of any info at all and it still appears to be pretty locked down. what tends to get out though is the stuff via the agents and its the national media guys who tend to know and mix with the football agents.[/quote]

I suppose you could be right, but we will never really know. I just feel local journalists need the relationship with the club to be strong so they can get plenty of info on breaking news once it has actually broken.

I understand what you say about agents as they''ll leak anything to gain a few quid and are just trying to bleed football dry!

[/quote]

The difference between local and national media is that the EDP need Norwich much more than Norwich need the EDP - they refused ITV from attending press confrences etc so if they so chose they could ban Archant.

If they were to ban the Daily Mail from turning up it''s no skin off the paper''s nose really as they can report on the other 19 Premier League clubs, who will the EDP report on if they can''t go to the games or get interviews? There would be lots of extra news about Kings Lynn and Lowestoft.

I also think it is an editorial decision from the paper as well, some outlets such as the Guardian and BBC don''t deal in made up rumours but will only report properly sourced information. I think that the EDP/Pink Un/Evening News also seem to take this route - it wouldn''t take many false rumours to lose all credibility with local readers.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]

CH has dismissed the Hooper rumours: http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city-fc/norwich_city_boss_chris_hughton_scotches_talk_of_gary_hooper_transfer_bid_1_1789391 Not as definite on Graham and Becchio though!

[/quote]

That''s nothing more than a rehash of the news from yesterday mornings press conference. Hoots said that it wasn''t true that we''d made a bit for Hooper, which may or may not have been the truth at the time.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[quote user="shefcanary"]

The best we can hope for this window - given Celtic are in last 16 of ECL and play Juventus next - is a pre-contract deal with him joining for real in the summer.  Anything else is total TalkSport b#ll#cks.

[/quote]

Whilst I trust anything TalkSport say about as much as I would a watch from Snetty Market, I''d disagree with you there. If he stays up there he''s got those 2 games against Juve to look forward to, but what else? Celtic rarely qualify from the group stages of the Champions League, let alone progress from it, and Rangers won''t be back in the SPL for another couple of years at the least, so his prospects of big games in the next few years are extremely limited. If he comes here he''s got trips to United, City, Arsenal and Liverpool, plus the likes of Spurs and Newcastle to come to FCR just in the next few months.

[/quote]

Hey I didn''t say he would stay - I said he would sign a precontract agreement with someone for the summer giving him a chance of ECL glory.  Whether the pre-contract is with us is another thing.

This thread has been an interesting read and I think Hooper would be a good signing for us. He, along with Graham (where the link has cooled) is probably the best we can realistically expect to get.

We are also not alone in finding it difficult to land a top striker. Liverpool failed to get anybody in last window. West Ham and West Brom went with loans. However the prime example for me are Sunderland. Until landing Fletcher they had to go with loans for two seasons - Wellbeck and Bendtner, whilst taking a gamble on Wickham along the way. It is slim pickings in the striker market and we have less financial resources than most if not all the premiership clubs.

Plus us supporters are a demanding lot, Don''t want anybody from the lower divisions as not proven at top level We hold a romantic notion that we can find a gem from one of the minor leagues of Europe but if they were out there I am sure we would face stiff competition, and a player not attracting that level of attention would drop into the we are taking a risk basket. We know we can not afford the mega bucks to get a proven player from the major leagues.

GH ( and if we get him we won''t be able to use initials as we will have two GH''s playing up front), comes with about as much pedigree as we can expect so I hope this comes off. That said I remain sceptical about this deal as the sources are not the most reliable. But then Hughton did go to watch Celtic for a reason and there are good links between the two clubs..............................

OTBC

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]CH has dismissed the Hooper rumours:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city-fc/norwich_city_boss_chris_hughton_scotches_talk_of_gary_hooper_transfer_bid_1_1789391

Not as definite on Graham and Becchio though![/quote]

No he hasn''t. He has said (as of yesterday) that we have not made a bid to celtic for Hooper not that we are not interested in him or trying to sign him. These days it appears that the lodging of the bid is the last stage of the transfer process. presumably via the players agent you know roughly what the fee will be so its a case of seeing if the player will come and provisionally agreeing wages etc before you lodge your bid.

Jim, the local press ("Archant") are represented on the NCFC board.  The reason for "locked down" journo''s is due to related party interests.  When NCFC are ready, the local journo''s will hear first.

[quote user="shefcanary"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[quote user="shefcanary"]

The best we can hope for this window - given Celtic are in last 16 of ECL and play Juventus next - is a pre-contract deal with him joining for real in the summer.  Anything else is total TalkSport b#ll#cks.

[/quote]

Whilst I trust anything TalkSport say about as much as I would a watch from Snetty Market, I''d disagree with you there. If he stays up there he''s got those 2 games against Juve to look forward to, but what else? Celtic rarely qualify from the group stages of the Champions League, let alone progress from it, and Rangers won''t be back in the SPL for another couple of years at the least, so his prospects of big games in the next few years are extremely limited. If he comes here he''s got trips to United, City, Arsenal and Liverpool, plus the likes of Spurs and Newcastle to come to FCR just in the next few months.

[/quote]

Hey I didn''t say he would stay - I said he would sign a precontract agreement with someone for the summer giving him a chance of ECL glory.  Whether the pre-contract is with us is another thing.

[/quote]

He can''t sign a pre contract agreement, he''s got 18 months left on his contract.

I''m not sure on this, yesterday Hughton dismissed we had made any bid, today talksport have us ready to make a bid, so not to be written off just yet.

As for wanting Hooper here, well yes, he''s 24, proven goal scorer and for the right price well worth a go, what that price is, is the key, at 7 million is more than I would value Hooper at, but then if Brighton wanted more than 3 million for a 29 year old I suppose this would be about right.

I have a feeling we will see both Hopper and Graham here this window and Morison out on loan or even moved on. Time will tell.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Carlton Canary"]

[/quote]

The difference between local and national media is that the EDP need Norwich much more than Norwich need the EDP - they refused ITV from attending press confrences etc so if they so chose they could ban Archant.

If they were to ban the Daily Mail from turning up it''s no skin off the paper''s nose really as they can report on the other 19 Premier League clubs, who will the EDP report on if they can''t go to the games or get interviews? There would be lots of extra news about Kings Lynn and Lowestoft.

I also think it is an editorial decision from the paper as well, some outlets such as the Guardian and BBC don''t deal in made up rumours but will only report properly sourced information. I think that the EDP/Pink Un/Evening News also seem to take this route - it wouldn''t take many false rumours to lose all credibility with local readers.

[/quote]

Bethnal, the balance of power between a football club and the local/regional paper has always favoured the club, but the latter did need the former to an extent to publicise itself. The invention of cyberspace has changed that, tilting the balance much further to the club. The club doesn''t need Archant, for example in this case, to communicate with fans. It has its own website. And fans can simply go to a news aggregator such as NewsNow to find out all they need to know.

Why do you say that Wiz?

Hughton said we had not made a firm bid yestaerday, the talk today is that we intend to put  bid in!

No where does it say Hughton does not intend to bid, does it?

[quote user="Wiz"]

Death of thread imo.

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich_city_boss_chris_hughton_scotches_talk_of_gary_hooper_transfer_bid_1_1789391

[/quote]So a manager saying 24 hours ago that we haven''t bid for a player signals the death of a thread reporting a report that we are soon to lodge a bid for the same player despite the fact the two don''t contradict each other at all?No.

We''re pretty much not getting Graham now, unless you didn''t see that he has been active at Swansea and doing well for them?

As for Hooper, still my preferred player to bring in the window as I see him bringing the last peace of this seasons puzzle with him. I don''t check transfer news now, I check to see "if we''ve signed Hooper yet". I really hope it does happen - but as ever, it isn''t and won''t happen until NCFC Officially tells us it has happened.

[quote user="Indy"]

I''m not sure on this, yesterday Hughton dismissed we had made any bid, today talksport have us ready to make a bid, so not to be written off just yet.

As for wanting Hooper here, well yes, he''s 24, proven goal scorer and for the right price well worth a go, what that price is, is the key, at 7 million is more than I would value Hooper at, but then if Brighton wanted more than 3 million for a 29 year old I suppose this would be about right.

I have a feeling we will see both Hopper and Graham here this window and Morison out on loan or even moved on. Time will tell.

[/quote]

Blimey Indie that''s some feeling! The board will go into meltdown on how we can play those two and Holt without having spent a lot of money for a benchwarmer.

[quote user="Indy"]

[/quote]

Yep more chance of getting Hopper and Graham rather than Hooper and Graham...

lol

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Carlton Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Bethnal, the balance of power between a football club and the local/regional paper has always favoured the club, but the latter did need the former to an extent to publicise itself. The invention of cyberspace has changed that, tilting the balance much further to the club. The club doesn''t need Archant, for example in this case, to communicate with fans. It has its own website. And fans can simply go to a news aggregator such as NewsNow to find out all they need to know.

[/quote]

Very true - I would also say that with Norfolk being a one team region the EDP has always been more reliant than many other regional papers. Consider if Burnley tried to hardball a Lancashire paper, they would still have plenty of other local teams to cozy up to, whilst producing generic stories about Burnley taken off the news wire.

I imagine there are still a large number of people in Norfolk who only buy the EDP for the sports section (and possibly the letters page as that is always good for a laugh).

Premiership is all about rotation, Holt is the only striker that has been of any form this season. Jackson and Morison don''t look up to the quality we need. As much as I like Jackson he''s never going to cut it at this level, just a squad player.

I believe we are in a strong position financially, the accounts published are for last season, if we stay up we will certainly be seeing a better quality of player, so for me I believe the board will push the boat out to secure that best chance of staying up this year.

As for Graham, well I believe that even though he''s been playing a bit part, he is up for sale and will end up either here or somewhere else other than Swasnsea, just a feeling again.

Well I hope so.

[quote user="Indy"]

As for Graham, well I believe that even though he''s been playing a bit part, he is up for sale and will end up either here or somewhere else other than Swasnsea, just a feeling again.

Well I hope so.

[/quote]

Sky bet have Graham as 1/6 to join Sunderland, and 10/1 to us if you fancy a punt...

Latest (condescending) tweet from Moose says it all really

Ian Abrahams@BroadcastMoose

Norwich /Celtic fans - I said today a deal was close - not happening today - need to be a bit patient

I also think the re-affirmation of Hughton''s comments about no deal being done has been placed "by the club" to try and calm everyone down and focus on the match tomorrow.  All this talk must unsettle the current squad.  It''s more clear cut at Newcastle - the squad will be wanting a replacement for Ba.

I don''t see how we will end up with both Graham and Hooper, as I feel we need 1 quality CF at this point, someone who could quite easily be a regular starter. If there are any other positions that we buy for this Jan (for the same reason) then I would presume at least 2 or 3 squad players will be leaving.

Hooper is good, Graham likewise, I would like Kenwyne Jones here, but can definately see a case for either of the 2 regularly mentioned at the mo.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Very true - I would also say that with Norfolk being a one team region the EDP has always been more reliant than many other regional papers. Consider if Burnley tried to hardball a Lancashire paper, they would still have plenty of other local teams to cozy up to, whilst producing generic stories about Burnley taken off the news wire.

I imagine there are still a large number of people in Norfolk who only buy the EDP for the sports section (and possibly the letters page as that is always good for a laugh).

[/quote]

More than that, a one-sport region! Cue anger from aficionados of whatever.

PS. I think people also read the obits, to see whether they''re dead or not...

Meant to add that I would think Graham is the most unlikely to sign, as he is flavour of the month at Swansea, and the Sunderland interest, with him being from that part of the World

[quote user="Indy"]

Why do you say that Wiz?

Hughton said we had not made a firm bid yestaerday, the talk today is that we intend to put  bid in!

[/quote]

Have you consided a career in politics Indy? [;)]

[quote user="jed exodous"]Kenwyne Jones, now there''s someone who''s lazy.  Only scored once in the last year or so hasn''t he?  No thanks.[/quote]

yet he is the one rumoured to replace danny graham when he leaves...

perhaps we should sign kenwyne

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="Indy"]

Why do you say that Wiz?

[/quote]

Have you consided a career in politics Indy? [;)]

[/quote]Usually when a manager says one thing he means another.