Sign in to follow this  
Swollen ankles

Jackson didn't do no wrong

Hughton''s preference is clearly that of the lone striker. New striking options might, hopefully, give Hughton the confidence to be more adventurous either by starting as a 4-4-2 or being willing to change during the match.

It was two points lost yesterday, not one point gained, plus the confidence that would begin to flow again having beaten PL opposition.

Newcastle were there for the taking. Whilst accepting that our midfield was generally disappointing with a more attacking set up we might well have won the match.

We need new options - QPR away - that''s our next chance of a point. We will need to play significantly better. I hope we do - that was the most fun at an away game last season!

Shocked at the defence of jackson... the guys overall game just isnt up to premiership level whatsoever. His movememt off the ball is so far behind prem class. He is supposedly really fast and yet he cant keep himself onside half the time... if he was so fast he can be two yards on and still reach a ball. His technical ability also is far off the pace. Compare him to a second string striker in other prem teams and you will realise the difference in class. The guy helped us get to the prem in the last period of our promotion season, and he has deserved his chance because of it.

Now a season and a half goes by. He hasnt lived to the standard and we should be looking to replace him with premiership quality. SIMPLE!

[quote user="Michael Bates"]Shocked at the defence of jackson... the guys overall game just isnt up to premiership level whatsoever. His movememt off the ball is so far behind prem class. He is supposedly really fast and yet he cant keep himself onside half the time... if he was so fast he can be two yards on and still reach a ball. His technical ability also is far off the pace. Compare him to a second string striker in other prem teams and you will realise the difference in class. The guy helped us get to the prem in the last period of our promotion season, and he has deserved his chance because of it.

Now a season and a half goes by. He hasnt lived to the standard and we should be looking to replace him with premiership quality. SIMPLE![/quote]

What he said. Spot on.

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="Michael Bates"]Shocked at the defence of jackson... the guys overall game just isnt up to premiership level whatsoever. His movememt off the ball is so far behind prem class. He is supposedly really fast and yet he cant keep himself onside half the time... if he was so fast he can be two yards on and still reach a ball. His technical ability also is far off the pace. Compare him to a second string striker in other prem teams and you will realise the difference in class. The guy helped us get to the prem in the last period of our promotion season, and he has deserved his chance because of it.

Now a season and a half goes by. He hasnt lived to the standard and we should be looking to replace him with premiership quality. SIMPLE![/quote]

What he said. Spot on.[/quote]

I don''t believe he is good enough to be a premiership starter for us, my point was that if you are going to start him you have to ensure the rest of the team play in a way that maximises his strengths. The points above about movement and being caught offside were mainly because he wasn''t played in when he should have been, he made lots of runs to the channels but rarely got the pass he needed.

I''m talking specifically about yesterday''s game though and I felt the midfield were more to blame for the lack of chances than the strikers.

Btw how many times was Jackson offside yesterday? I can only remember once in the 2nd half (genuine question).

I''m pretty-much with you, Rivvo - I don''t think Simeon is really the answer and we do need more firepower, but he was not so bad yesterday: when judging we need to look at a mixture of his movement and the through-ball, and it was often more that the play to him was poor (or his runs were missed), with a prime example being the move that ended with Wes''s non-shot in the first half when a half decent pass into Simeon''s stride and it should have been 1-0. I was a little surprised/disappointed that he was taken off rather than Wes, as that would have given him more of a chance (and Wes was being at his most frustrating!)

Why were they playing to head, rather than chest or feet his strength? On throw ins was the worst no one came to collect, just kept throwing to player who can''t header or had no chance of winning the ball! If we played a nice passing game rather than the long balls to jacksons head which equally happened on crossing. If you are going to play the boy, play to his strengths. Did they not practice the lineout in training? 

Yes, Jacko did alright against Newcastle but it just served to show that he is not the man to lead the line in the type of formation that Hughton favours. When Holt came on we finally saw a bit of pressure on the Newcastle central defenders. I like Jacko but he is certainly no Jermaine Defoe or Luis Suarez and will always struggle against bigger defenders. At Championship level he will score goals but in the Prem it''s much more difficult and unfortunately it''s a step to far for him.

Taking the Newcastle game only... Jackson must have been disappointed by the lack of form from the rest of the side. How many simple 5 or 6 yard passes could have been made that were knocked about 10 yards too far.

Hoolahan seemed to go back to last years form, brilliant until he gets near the box. The interaction between him and Jackson was dreadful.

Pilks and Snoddy, couldn''t beat the first man for a cross, wouldn''t be so bad if they was trying to drill them in the box, but aiming for Jackson to beat Coloccini in the air?

Jackson certainly is not a regular premiership starter, however, I don''t think he''s the worst 4th choice striker in the premiership. But to be blame Jackson for how poor the rest of them played, is little OTT.

So did nobody feel sorry for the lad having to try and win headers against their center backs?We didnt play to SJ''s strengths yesterday. When the ball WAS played to his feet he linked  up well  with Wes.

Just my opinion.

Watching Jackson yesterday highlighted one huge deficiency in his game and that is the lack of width to his game. Many have noticed that Holt often gets himself into wide positions, on ocassion supplying crosses for others to score and some even criticise him for not being in the box, but what he does so well is to drag the opposing Centre Backs all over the park, creating space in the middle for others, usually Pilks and Snodders to exploit. Jackson rarely, if ever,ventured outside the width of the penalty area, just trying to run the inside channels and expecting others to pick him out with the perfect through ball against 2 quality defenders.

[quote user="Scooby"]Watching Jackson yesterday highlighted one huge deficiency in his game and that is the lack of width to his game. Many have noticed that Holt often gets himself into wide positions, on ocassion supplying crosses for others to score and some even criticise him for not being in the box, but what he does so well is to drag the opposing Centre Backs all over the park, creating space in the middle for others, usually Pilks and Snodders to exploit. Jackson rarely, if ever,ventured outside the width of the penalty area, just trying to run the inside channels and expecting others to pick him out with the perfect through ball against 2 quality defenders.[/quote]

No, he may have been under instructions.    He has on many occasions gone wide - against Liverpool he was often on the left cutting in from wider areas and in previous games has been all over the pitch.    He may have simply been told yesterday to focus his energy at going through the middle.  The fact that his teammates seem not to be able to deliver passes accurately and on time is hardly his fault.  

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]So did nobody feel sorry for the lad having to try and win headers against their center backs?We didnt play to SJ''s strengths yesterday. When the ball WAS played to his feet he linked  up well  with Wes.

Just my opinion. [/quote]Just gonna re-post something I put into another thread. But I have to agree 100% with this comment. Think the slating of Jacko based on yesterday is hilarious and shows how clueless some people are.

To be fair we can not write Jackson off. To say he is not "Prem"

standard is yet to be seen. He has not been given a decent chance and

the chances he has had have seen him playing a role that is by no means

his strongest !In a case of yesterday he did everything he possibly

could and in fairness had a very good game. His movement was perfect, he

utilised his pace and performed at least 3 delightfull flick and turn

moves to release Wes or Snoddy. He is in fact getting better and better.To

say he played badly when he was expected to win headers vs the

Newcastle back two is frankly unfair. Its like sticking Ruddy in

midfield and complaining about his passing ! The lone striker roll is

not his preference.I would actually expect that if Hoots had taken

off Wes for Holt and played 2 up or even told Jackson to sit up and

Holty to float ( he does this anyway rather well ) we would have seen a

goal yesterday.Jackson was limited by the performance of the team and the formation we played.I do sometimes wonder what game people were watching or what their expectations are. Never

in 1,000,000 games will Jackson be able to play the lone striker roll.

And never in 1,000,000 games will he be able to offer what Holt does (

or Moro for that matter ! ) in that roll.Hughton made the error

yesterday. He should have started with Kane and Jackson or taken of Wes

at half time. It was obvious that Wes was going to marked out yesterday

and that Newcastle would defend all day long. As we saw our best

chances were when we broke with pace against them. All 3 of these

movements started with a Simeon Jackson flick and ended with Wes taking

one touch to many !I just really really question Hughton''s

ability to change the flow of a game or take a gamble. Perhaps in his

mind and the greater scheme he is sat with a mathmatical magic number to

hit (40) and feels he can get there with 1 point draws. Whatever the

case I hope that once we are a) safe b ) established he decidedes to

actually unleash his team. The fact he is more adventureous in cup games

hints towards this being the truth.It just really confounds me how

he bascially sets a plan up and does not waiver. One thing about the

last bloke which I loved was his ability to see soemthing wasnt working

and change it. Was this what actually made him so successfull with us ?

[quote user="canaryfan68"]

In my opinion Jackson is an hard working lad and runs his heart out but when in fron of goal seems to lack the composure at this level to be successful. All those who think this is what it takes....well at some point the strikers have to score goals and if they don''t should they be in the team?

After all we don''t offer defenders or the goalkeeper the same level of sentiment if they don''t do their jobs properly.

[/quote]

Good question

I wonder why we haven''t seen Jackson selected regularly? I would suggest that he has had sufficient opportunities in his limited games and training sessions to impress the men that pick the teams.

Not only do I wonder if people watch the games, I wonder what planet they are on and if football has ever been played on that planet, and if it has have they never had the benefit of alien punditry to help them learn and understand the game.

I continually wonder how so many seem to judge our players on them " being good blokes" with "great attitudes". How well do our fans actually know them, it seems a lot on here do. I can tell you that I have seen him fix his shorts halfway down his backside before coming on the pitch, in my undoubted old fashioned way I have no time for a poncy player worrying about this before he plays for my team. He is a tart. He hasn''t even shown his ability in the championship to any great extent. If he was to play ten million times he will never be premiership quality. I guess he gets rewarded reasonably well for turning up for training for a few hours a week and for sitting on the bench, I wouldn''t feel too sorry for the poor little chap, before half of our fans start a petition that premiership teams should only be allowed to play centre backs under five feet tall.

Having said that, I would quite like him to do well.

Jackson did no wrong - but what did he actually do?  On pull back to wes in 65 mins isnt enough. 

Sadly we dont need willing runners,  we need a cutting edge.   Jackson was too easily managed out of the game and for all his running his actual movement never actuall gave the midfield a passing option.   He did not attack the ball and his overall demeanour was not one of I know this is my only chance to show what I can add.

That holt touched the ball as often in 35 mins than jackson did in 65 speaks volumes.

A good squad player but he remains a championship striker.

I must admit, I like Jackson, but you can see he''s no Premiership stiker. Willing runner works his socks off no doubt and a fnas favourite for doing so.

But where is this mythical pace he''s supposed to have? I''ve not seen him outrun any premiership defender in the two season now.

Sorry I like Jackson and would love for him to score bag loads of goals but it''s not going to happen.

I agree that he didn''t do a lot wrong, but he also made no impact on the game.