Sign in to follow this  
The Great Drinkell

This is what is wrong with the game

I would assume that Porchettino had been promised the role some time ago by Cortese (Soton Chairman) and gave Cortese an ultimatum this week that he would go somewhere else unless he was allowed some chance of making signings in this transfer window.  I can see no other reason for this.

Adkins did well to get Southampton to the Premier League - but he has always been given a big budget and has never spent it particulary well.

I have a bit of knowledge about Southampton as they are a team I been watching a lot this year - due to a couple of their players, and I can see why it was felt he wasn''t the best man for the job. It''s a bit like Warnock really, great to get you to the Premier League but probably not going to take you very far once you get there.

Many of the players at Southampton felt Adkins was unprofessional and his coaching left a lot to be desired, he also couldn''t communicate his ideas very well - if you have ever seen a press conference with him you will know what I mean.

Given the amount of money he was given at the start of the season Southampton have been average at best - I guess the board felt that Adkins wasn''t going to be able to take the club any further and to be honest I agree with them. It''s a little like when WBA sacked Di Matteo, everyone said it was mad at the time - but it worked out very well in the longterm. A club can outgrow players if it moves up the leagues rapidly, the same can be said for its manager.

Shocking decision and extremely harsh on Adkins - can only wish him well.

I can only assume that they feel Adkins has taken them as far as he can and that Pochettino is the next big thing in management and being available is too good an opportunity to be missed  - 4 years experience in management at 40 is impressive but he left his last club  due to a poor run.   

Fingers crossed it destabilises them! :-)

Bethnal you are wrong and that''s no surprise you are part of the football business side and need a good story. Wish all of modern football dies in a pit of phlegm burns a slow death.

So BW, I take it you don''t go to games, especially away games. Never watch a game on Sky, don''t buy or pay for anything to do with football, and encourage everyone you know to do the same? If not that you are also part of whats ''wrong'' with ''modern football''.

Things change, essentially you just have to get over it.

What how is going to games or away games anything to do with modern football? The prices have gone up and i moan at times about it. There is a limit i am willing to spend but i will always go watch norwich while we remain a true english club

[quote user="BW"]Bethnal you are wrong and that''s no surprise you are part of the football business side and need a good story. Wish all of modern football dies in a pit of phlegm burns a slow death.[/quote]

Okay, I''ll humour you.

What am I wrong about?

That Adkins deserved to get sacked when he is starting to get his players playing good football up to 15th could see them coming for us soon and i was getting worried....i am not now

[quote user="BW"]That Adkins deserved to get sacked when he is starting to get his players playing good football up to 15th could see them coming for us soon and i was getting worried....i am not now[/quote]

Yet if the squad is unhappy with the leadership from Adkins and teh quality of coaching poor do the results reflect short term out performing  that wont sustain a prem league place?  

As I said - its seems the decision is he has taken them as far as they can so have taken a prompt step - it does seem harsh (unlike warnock he has not yet proven he will fail at prem level)

[quote user="BW"]That Adkins deserved to get sacked when he is starting to get his players playing good football up to 15th could see them coming for us soon and i was getting worried....i am not now[/quote]

It''s true that in recent form Southampton are doing well, but I''m not sure how much of this was down to Adkins. Behind the scenes there has been a lot of internal issues, players aren''t happy with the training and Adkins seemed to lack the ideas to change things around.

There was also the issue of some glaring miscalculations made by him, he spend a huge amount of money on bringing in strikers like Mayuka and Rodriguez and then only uses them sparingly, not to mention the massive amount spent on Ramirez - these are all good players of course but prehaps he should have spent some of the budget on a goalkeeper rather than having Davis, Boruc and Gazzaniga? If Southampton had someone reliable in goal they would probably have another 5 or 6 points.

Adkins seemed to treat the summer last year like a kid on Football Manager, buying exciting forwards and neglecting the weaknesses in defence and midfield. Personally I wouldn''t trust him with a transfer budget and owners hate nothing more than seeing their money spent on players who sit on the bench.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]last week called.. it wants its news back....
[/quote]

How can this have been reported last week when it was only announced today? A rumour you mean? Didn''t see it if so.

Can''t see another thread atm either, on the front page at least - i did check!

While on the face of it this seems a strange decision I must say I tend to agree with what Bethnal says about the amount of money Adkins has had to spend.

He spent £12 MILLION on one player, Ramirez. That''s roughly £2 million more than the total we spent in the summer. I''m not sure it''s correct but I read somewhere that Saints spent nearly £30 million in the summer on transfer fees. That''s a lot more than even QPR who we regularly deride on here for chucking money away.

Obviously time will tell weather the new bloke they''ve got in is any better - although I''d be quite pleased from our perspective to see him crash and burn.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

It''s true that in recent form Southampton are doing well, but I''m not sure how much of this was down to Adkins. Behind the scenes there has been a lot of internal issues, players aren''t happy with the training and Adkins seemed to lack the ideas to change things around.

There was also the issue of some glaring miscalculations made by him, he spend a huge amount of money on bringing in strikers like Mayuka and Rodriguez and then only uses them sparingly, not to mention the massive amount spent on Ramirez - these are all good players of course but prehaps he should have spent some of the budget on a goalkeeper rather than having Davis, Boruc and Gazzaniga? If Southampton had someone reliable in goal they would probably have another 5 or 6 points.

Adkins seemed to treat the summer last year like a kid on Football Manager, buying exciting forwards and neglecting the weaknesses in defence and midfield. Personally I wouldn''t trust him with a transfer budget and owners hate nothing more than seeing their money spent on players who sit on the bench.

[/quote]

All i will say is, Saints fans clearly dont see it the way you do!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2264403/Southampton-sack-Nigel-Adkins.html#comments

As if the decision to sack Adkins isn''t bad enough, the guy who is replacing him seems to be a comparative nobody.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote] All i will say is, Saints fans clearly dont see it the way you do![/quote]

I doubt they would - I''d have been mad as hell if Norwich had sacked Lambert after two successive promotions. But fans very rarely know the whole story (not saying I do), but thre is more going on behind the scenes at Southampton.

I would also be very upset with the person they have chosen as new manager - can''t see why they think he will be such a success. Told he will be using a translator for his first PC later today, managers who don''t speak the same langauge as the majority of their squad rarely do well. I suppose Southampton are looking for a little of what Swansea got with Laudrup.

These are the dangers of having a single individual in complete control of a club. Liable to insane decisions. Take note all those who were keen on Fernandes.

Crazy as this is, it can only help us.

[quote user="a1canary"]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]last week called.. it wants its news back....
[/quote]

How can this have been reported last week when it was only announced today? A rumour you mean? Didn''t see it if so.

Can''t see another thread atm either, on the front page at least - i did check!

[/quote]

Ah, ok, i''ve seen Drinkell''s post now - content not at all obvious from the title though!

[quote user="Gingerpele"]So BW, I take it you don''t go to games, especially away games. Never watch a game on Sky, don''t buy or pay for anything to do with football, and encourage everyone you know to do the same? If not that you are also part of whats ''wrong'' with ''modern football''. Things change, essentially you just have to get over it.[/quote]

He''s nothing to do with modern football, ancient football, new-age football, local football or just football full stop.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]While on the face of it this seems a strange decision I must say I tend to agree with what Bethnal says about the amount of money Adkins has had to spend. He spent £12 MILLION on one player, Ramirez. That''s roughly £2 million more than the total we spent in the summer. I''m not sure it''s correct but I read somewhere that Saints spent nearly £30 million in the summer on transfer fees. That''s a lot more than even QPR who we regularly deride on here for chucking money away. Obviously time will tell weather the new bloke they''ve got in is any better - although I''d be quite pleased from our perspective to see him crash and burn.[/quote]

Obviously, the result at Chelsea was the final straw !