Sign in to follow this  
dpit

Premature meltdown

The traditional transfer deadline day message board meltdown seems to have come early this year. The boiling rage on here tonight makes me fear for the health of some posters come 1100 on the 31st. Leave yourself somewhere to go lads, you''re peaking early.

Or....consider this. Hughton and McNally are canny chaps. They will not pay over the odds for someone who might (but might not) give us a boost and push us over the line. They will not sign someone just for the sake of signing someone if there is no-one available at a realistic price who is up to it. They will do everything to sign someone who does not fall into this category. But if they do not sign someone, it will be because of the reasons already mentioned. If we don''t have anyone by 1100 on 31st I will be disappointed (as will Hughton and McNally) but I will understand why and will keep my faith with two of the most competent people to be associated with this club in many a moon.

You''re completely wrong, my source tells me that McNally and Hughton aren''t trying to sign anyone at all. They''ve got McNally''s secretary putting bids in for players they know we won''t get whilst they are holed up in the basement of the City Stand with their feet up smoking cigars made out of £50 notes whilst they watch the video of when we got spanked 5-0 at Portman Road on repeat.

So there.

[quote user="dpit"]The traditional transfer deadline day message board meltdown seems to have come early this year. The boiling rage on here tonight makes me fear for the health of some posters come 1100 on the 31st. Leave yourself somewhere to go lads, you''re peaking early. Or....consider this. Hughton and McNally are canny chaps. They will not pay over the odds for someone who might (but might not) give us a boost and push us over the line. They will not sign someone just for the sake of signing someone if there is no-one available at a realistic price who is up to it. They will do everything to sign someone who does not fall into this category. But if they do not sign someone, it will be because of the reasons already mentioned. If we don''t have anyone by 1100 on 31st I will be disappointed (as will Hughton and McNally) but I will understand why and will keep my faith with two of the most competent people to be associated with this club in many a moon.[/quote]

I suspect that it will be like the Cadbury mini egg advert with posters exploding and splashing goo everywhere.

I agree totally and would add that there is no suggestion that we have pulled out of the Hooper or Graham situations. Hughton has confirmed the Kamara (although he''s obviously crap because someone''s found a video of him slipping over and he''s only scoring 1 in 3 in the MLS which is, as we all know, a poor league. A bit like the SPL, in fact, but, of course, none of our cynical posters would be wetting their pants over someone who''d only scored lots of goals in that one, would they?

There is obviously a great deal going on that we don''t know about, but the pace will now quicken as it always does in the last week. The club are, in fact doing exactly the right thing by not diving in and splashing most of the budget on a vastly inflated price. the fact is that prices drop as the end of the window approaches as the bluff of selling clubs starts to get called. If Spurs do want Hooper they may well get him, but that would happen anyway. By playing the long game City could well find that they are the only serious suitor and will get him for a better price nearer to Thursday. the very fact that they are not in for anyone else particularly expensive would tend to confim that, as they won''t spend much on secondary targets until the primary one is landed or proves unattainable.

People are also making lots of assumptions about Graham, but our bids still in and he hasn''t gone anywhere else yet.I''m very confident that we''ll have a lot to be happy about next Friday.

On a serious note, is the actually any word from Spurs that they''re interested in Hooper, or is it all based on AVB being at Celtic Park t''other night, when it''s just as likely he was looking at Wanyama?

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]On a serious note, is the actually any word from Spurs that they''re interested in Hooper, or is it all based on AVB being at Celtic Park t''other night, when it''s just as likely he was looking at Wanyama?[/quote]

Nothing at all. In fact most Spurs fans I know reckon that Wanyama is the more likely target as Hooper would be at best third choice striker. They also think that any club gambling £8m on him would need counselling......

I thought self-flagellation had long since died out;  it seems to have moved from extreme catholicism to extremist city fans instead and the self induced frenzy is frankly more than a little embarrassing.

This thread makes for soothing reading. I have found myself getting caught up in all this and, yes, getting influenced by the negativity that has been spreading.

Now I''m back to relative normality. Thanks to all and Mrs BY looks relieved!!

I''ll admit to being a little worried. I was really hoping we''d have something concrete on a striker by now, as I''m convinced Hughton will have to try playing 4-4-2 if he had Holt + someone else to play up front. To have only signed a goalkeeper (in my opinion, the one position we did NOT need to strengthen) is concerning, but there are 6 days left and there''s still time. I guess I am still crossing my fingers for Graham or Hooper though...

I doubt he''d go to spurs, simply because he wouldn''t get enough game time.

The main reason why he wants to come to the prem is to get the chance to play for england

Deadline day is hilarious. I love watching it on sky, and seeing people panic online.

Sme prick on twitter at the end of summer deadline day last year moaning we hadn''t signed anyone and that we''d fail because of it. Had to gently remind him about Snodgrass, Tettey, Bassong, Turner, Bunn, Garrido, Whittaker, Butterfield.....

dpit...if we won''t sign anyone for the sake of it what was the Harry Kane signing then? I think we are showing signs of losing our way somewhat, but all will be revealed come next thursday!

What I don''t understand is why the club are confirming the bids we''ve made, usually our transfer business is all kept very private until the deal is signed and sealed.

[quote user="cityangel"]What I don''t understand is why the club are confirming the bids we''ve made, usually our transfer business is all kept very private until the deal is signed and sealed.[/quote]

With regard to Hooper i thought it was Lennon who at a press conference confirmed we had bid when he was questioned about it that then made us admit to the fact.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="cityangel"]What I don''t understand is why the club are confirming the bids we''ve made, usually our transfer business is all kept very private until the deal is signed and sealed.[/quote]

With regard to Hooper i thought it was Lennon who at a press conference confirmed we had bid when he was questioned about it that then made us admit to the fact.

[/quote]

I thought Lennon said he was annoyed that Norwich had made their bid public but I may be wrong, also didn''t Hughton confirm the Kamara & Graham bid( see below). I was just making the point that usually its so hush hush that we don''t have a clue who''re we''re after and this transfer window it seems more public knowledge. Not a critisism just an observation.

[quote]

Chris Hughton insists no stone will be left unturned in Norwich City’s bid to bolster their squad in the transfer window after confirming his interest in Kansas City striker Kei Kamara.[/quote]

[quote]

"Most (people) are aware we have put in a couple of offers for players," said Hughton, who confirmed Graham was the subject of one of those offers.[/quote]

"reportedly" -> I am fed up with the word. Yes I am a worried supporter too,..but I don''t think we should get too distressed yet. I was so thrilled to read we were "reportedly" in for Hooper, Graham and Van Wolfswinkel... one of these would suit me just fine!!! But I don''t think any of them are coming to CR. The signing of a GK baffled me, but I trust the manager...

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]"reportedly" -> I am fed up with the word. Yes I am a worried supporter too,..but I don''t think we should get too distressed yet. I was so thrilled to read we were "reportedly" in for Hooper, Graham and Van Wolfswinkel... one of these would suit me just fine!!! But I don''t think any of them are coming to CR. The signing of a GK baffled me, but I trust the manager...[/quote]

Really don''t get why people are baffled by the Camp signing. Ruddy is pretty much a write off for this season, can''t believe people would be happy to go into the business end of the season with just his understudy and a couple of kids with just a handful of appearances between them for competition/cover. Camp is a very good keeper and he''ll push Bunn all the way (I wouldn''t be surprised to see him get the shirt at some point) and he didn''t cost a penny, great bit of business. Fail to see why people are baffled by it.

It''s not that it''s a bad piece of business, or that he''s a bad keeper or anything. It''s just that we have bigger problems than between the posts, and I think people wanted that to be reflected in the transfer priorities.

[quote user="dpit"]The traditional transfer deadline day message board meltdown seems to have come early this year. The boiling rage on here tonight makes me fear for the health of some posters come 1100 on the 31st. Leave yourself somewhere to go lads, you''re peaking early.

Or....consider this. Hughton and McNally are canny chaps. They will not pay over the odds for someone who might (but might not) give us a boost and push us over the line. They will not sign someone just for the sake of signing someone if there is no-one available at a realistic price who is up to it. They will do everything to sign someone who does not fall into this category. But if they do not sign someone, it will be because of the reasons already mentioned. If we don''t have anyone by 1100 on 31st I will be disappointed (as will Hughton and McNally) but I will understand why and will keep my faith with two of the most competent people to be associated with this club in many a moon.[/quote]

Umm lets friggin hope they can both score the goals we need if we dont find someone then eh !

Because you can have all the faith in them that you like, unfortunatly, there not in the starting 11 !!

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]It''s not that it''s a bad piece of business, or that he''s a bad keeper or anything. It''s just that we have bigger problems than between the posts, and I think people wanted that to be reflected in the transfer priorities.
[/quote]

We need striking reinforcements, no doubt, but it''s not the only business we need to do. They''re not going to wait until the forwards are tied up before moving on to the rest, it just so happens that this deal was somewhat easier and was completed quicker, certainly doesn''t mean that Hughton prioritised it over any other position.

We all know we could do with one or two new forwards. Hughton has said himself. They have even said that bids have been placed,which is unusual for us. What more do you want them to do? It''s not that bloody easy a job. Now get a grip, grow some balls and stop panicing.

Of course there is a premature meltdown.
If they wait till February 1st then they probably won''t be able to have one, so they''ve got to get it while its hot.