Sign in to follow this  
Oz Canary

It's CMS

Looks like Hoots first January target is CMS.

Not sure about this!!!!

Certainly no upgrade on Holt, not sure if he is an upgrade on anybody else except maybe Chrissy Martin.

[quote user="Oz Canary"]

Looks like Hoots first January target is CMS.

Not sure about this!!!!

Certainly no upgrade on Holt, not sure if he is an upgrade on anybody else except maybe Chrissy Martin.

[/quote]

....... and he looks a bit too much like Jimmy Bullard   [:D]

If CMS does arrive then we should welcome him with open arms. He will be hungry and desperate to make the most of his Premiership opportunity - just like the players that we adore at Carrow Road now. He knows the English game and is a talented goal scorer.

Just because he doesn''t have an African name and play in France or Holland doesn''t mean that we should sniff at his arrival.

Greater goalscoring record than Jackson and Morison I would assume. Probably more suited to our style of play than those two. More like a Holt mk2!

[quote user="shefcanary"]This story is a smokescreen to keep the redtops on the wrong track whilst Hoots gets on with real business.[/quote]

Exactly. Time after time we get strongly linked with a player only to sign someone else. When will people learn that the redtops know nothing about what''s happening behind the scenes at Carrow Road? Not doubt with January around the corner we''ll also see another outbreak of "agent in the know" type accounts on twitter peddling total bullshit, which will then be reproduced on this forum as indisputable fact.

[quote user="shefcanary"]This story is a smokescreen to keep the redtops on the wrong track whilst Hoots gets on with real business.[/quote]

I really hope you are right! I live near Brighton and all the seagull fans are laughing their socks off at my expense

I would be very disappointed if CMS was the main or only signing. He has hardly been outstanding enough in the Championship to suggest that he is a potential Premiership striker. If he is to be a (cheaper) second signing to someone outstanding, perhaps, just.

He is no spring chicken, I believe, so if Holt continues for another two years, will CMS be able to fulfill the Holt role afterwards? I doubt it. If Holt is going soon, like the rumours suggest, then CMS could be second to a better prospect. Our ambition has to be higher - a high scoring striker at Premiershiop level.

[quote user="Salopian"]

I would be very disappointed if CMS was the main or only signing. He has hardly been outstanding enough in the Championship to suggest that he is a potential Premiership striker. If he is to be a (cheaper) second signing to someone outstanding, perhaps, just.

He is no spring chicken, I believe, so if Holt continues for another two years, will CMS be able to fulfill the Holt role afterwards? I doubt it. If Holt is going soon, like the rumours suggest, then CMS could be second to a better prospect. Our ambition has to be higher - a high scoring striker at Premiershiop level.

[/quote]

Can we afford that and the necessary wages?

The fact that Hughton tried to sign CMS at the end of the Summer window suggests not.

He''s a goalscorer , so let''s give him a chance! I am dreaming of top european forwards too, but we can''t afford a ten million signing now!!! If we stay in the Prem we can do bussiness in the summer!!! So no moaning, I would welcome CMS, he''s been scoring goals and he would add something to the squad, cause our forwards haven''t been finding the net! Pilkington, Hoolahan, etc... were championship, league 1 players too when they came over and they took the prem with a bang...euh no prejudice please

So, one national paper says we''re in for him and that has everyone convinced?

The Mirror says we''re going after Toure from Monaco. Why ignore one and take the other as gospel? (Not convinced by either, personally)

We were NOT in for him in the summer- all evidence about that is circumstantial, anyone who says otherwise is selling something... probably a crappy tabloid. We have only looked to sign him once under the previous manager when we were in the Championship.

Just for the record, however, if he were to arrive, then he has my full backing. And of course we are not only looking abroad for our transfer business. We potentially look in every market, foreign and domestic. We are a Premier League club, that''s what we do.

[quote user="Militant Canary"]So, one national paper says we''re in for him and that has everyone convinced?

The Mirror says we''re going after Toure from Monaco. Why ignore one and take the other as gospel? (Not convinced by either, personally)

We were NOT in for him in the summer- all evidence about that is circumstantial, anyone who says otherwise is selling something... probably a crappy tabloid. We have only looked to sign him once under the previous manager when we were in the Championship.

Just for the record, however, if he were to arrive, then he has my full backing. And of course we are not only looking abroad for our transfer business. We potentially look in every market, foreign and domestic. We are a Premier League club, that''s what we do.[/quote]

Hang on, i thought the club admitted in the summer we were after him??

[quote user="Salopian"]

[/quote]100% agree with this. Do not want CMS anywhere near FCR

He''s generally looked excellent when he has played for Scotland and has scored goals. Suspect Levein may still have been in the job had he played him as first choice. We are not going to be able to sign a guaranteed top striker with our budget - any signing will have an element of the unknown about it Signing from the lower leagues has worked well for us - Howson, Johnson, Snodgrass, Pilkington. Trust in Hughton - his signings have been excellent so far. How any people would have expected the quality of Turner''s defending recently in the first few weeks of the season. Just as an aside - thought Johnson was immense on Saturday.

Just checked. No. Norwich at no point confirmed any interest in CMS. We did, however, confirm interest in Kyle Naughton and that we made an enquiry. Why confirm interest in one and not the other?

We were never in for him... at least, not since we were in the Championship.

Shows you how tabloids work- not just with Sports, but with everything- they shovel s**t and, despite evidence to the contrary, keep on shoveling it until you believe every word.

[quote user="priceyrice"][quote user="Militant Canary"]So, one national paper says we''re in for him and that has everyone convinced? The Mirror says we''re going after Toure from Monaco. Why ignore one and take the other as gospel? (Not convinced by either, personally) We were NOT in for him in the summer- all evidence about that is circumstantial, anyone who says otherwise is selling something... probably a crappy tabloid. We have only looked to sign him once under the previous manager when we were in the Championship. Just for the record, however, if he were to arrive, then he has my full backing. And of course we are not only looking abroad for our transfer business. We potentially look in every market, foreign and domestic. We are a Premier League club, that''s what we do.[/quote] Hang on, i thought the club admitted in the summer we were after him??[/quote]

I didn''t think we did. But on September 1st the Brighton Argus said Brighton had received an offer, which was rejected, for Mackail-Smith. I cannot remember if the paper said specifically the offer had come from Norwich, or whether it just said it had been for what it described as "Norwich target CMS..." But if the latter the clear inference was that it was us who had made the offer. No other club was mentioned.

The Argus went on to quote Poyet as saying they had been afraid all through transfer deadline day that they would receive an increased offer, but it never happened. Poyet didn''t actually name Norwich as far as I can remember, but the whole tenor of the story was that we were the club who had made the original bid and from whom an increased offer might come.

I take the tabloid rumors with a massive handful of salt these days. Until I see a confirmation of a signing on NCFC twitter or anything like that, we''re not in for anyone. That being said, I don''t think CMS would be a *bad* signing as such... he''d just have work to do to justify himself. But then, doesn''t every new player?

I''m still holding out for a surprise swoop for Hooper, personally... :D

Very true, Purple. It was only inferred because we were never in for him last summer.

Wouldn''t one of the promoted teams (ie Reading) make more sense? Even cash-strapped Villa- Lambert did try to sign him when he was here, after all. Who said that it had to be an English premier league club, anyway? He is a Scottish international.

Resident Canary Stig: I agree about CMS. If he signs, then he has Hughton''s backing and, therefore, I have confidence in him and he has my backing. I am convinced, however, that we were not the club pursuing him last summer and we are not trying to bring him in now.

If we get him we back him to the hilt, but personally I think CMS would be as effective in the Prem as Jermaine Beckford.... 

Amusing that the Pink''un online article is accompanied by a picture of him executing a blatant and totally unconvincing Premiership-style dive.  Well, I know we''ve been struggling to win penalties, but if that''s how he goes about things even if he signs for us we still will. 

[quote user="Militant Canary"]Very true, Purple. It was only inferred because we were never in for him last summer. Wouldn''t one of the promoted teams (ie Reading) make more sense? Even cash-strapped Villa- Lambert did try to sign him when he was here, after all. Who said that it had to be an English premier league club, anyway? He is a Scottish international.[/quote]

No. I didn''t say it was only inferred. I said I couldn''t remember if the Argus - which is a reputable paper - had stated it as a fact or had very strongly implied it was us. But the whole story, with on the record quotes from Poyet, was telling Argus readers it was Norwich who had put in a bid, and it was Norwich from whom a higher bid might come.

An additional clue is that the deal to get in Harry Kane came absurdly late on transfer deadline day. Perhaps we were in for Kane as well as Mackail-Smith, but it is distinctly possible we moved for Kane after we had decided not to up our bid for CMS.

Of course if you know for a fact - and you keep stating it as fact - that we didn''t bid for CMS last summer, then that is another matter. But that is all you keep doing. Stating is as a fact without giving any evidence. Your argument seems only to be based on you not wanting to think it was us.

My best mate is a Brighton season ticket holder... apparently CMS and Liam Bridcutt did a lap of the pitch at the end of their game against Watford, applauding the fans. When players do that, one can only assume that they know they''re off.

However, my mate was suprised a Premier club would be interested in CMS... he''s not exactly been playing too well for them lately. His words not mine.

No. Don''t know it as fact. Its coming across that way, I realise. I apologise for that.

And yet, our interest in CMS is being stated as fact, which is what I''m trying to argue against.

My point is, I think there is enough evidence for us to confidently disregard these rumours. I think you agree with me?

I''d back him if he came here. Always looked a real terrier for Scotland and plenty of energy and pace and looks like he can nick a goal in games. I personally think it''s a re-hash though and he is probably unlikely to come here unless we offer a fair whack of money as Poyet just came out recently saying that he is going to play hardball with clubs after his players now. I know it''s random, but have you seen CMS''s forearms? Freakishly ripped (pointless I know)

I quite fancied CMS coming here at first and some of the orignal Brighton fan''s comments indicated that they were quite worried about losing him. I''ve cooled along with them about the player, especially by comparison with some of the other names that we have been linked with lately. CMS is paling into insignificance.

I hope he has a stormer against 1p5wich tomorrow though. A couple of goals and I might warm to him again.

[quote user="Militant Canary"]No. Don''t know it as fact. Its coming across that way, I realise. I apologise for that. And yet, our interest in CMS is being stated as fact, which is what I''m trying to argue against. My point is, I think there is enough evidence for us to confidently disregard these rumours. I think you agree with me?

[/quote]

I have no idea. What I am pretty certain (say around 95 or 96 per cent certain) is that we DID bid for CMS last summer. The Brighton Argus would not have worded that story the way it did unless it had been told by Brighton - on or off the record - that it was us that had bid. No other club was mentioned. But of course that doesn''t mean we are still interested. That may well well be lazy journalism.

But in general I would say the idea that all tabloid rumours can be ignored is false. Being in the Premier League means increased scrutiny. And even if we keep mum about transfers, as we try to, we are dealing with clubs and agents who do talk to the press, and use the press to sell their wares. And we cannot control that. Don''t not believe everything you read![:D]

[quote user="TheRock"][quote user="Salopian"]

[/quote]

100% agree with this. Do not want CMS anywhere near FCR
[/quote]

Totally agree, we are now better than wanting CMS