Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

New Stadium

I heard on the radio today that Newham Council are to loan West Ham Utd £40m towards the Olympic Stadium. The council official said that the loan wouldn''t cost local council taxpayers anything at all.The likes of Swansea City and Hull City have benefited massively from their local councils being involved with financing their stadiums.When you consider that FCR must be worth many millions to a major retailer, the board have said it would cost £45m (20 years x £2.25m) to increase capacity of FCR to 35K, the opportunity to get many millions in finance (and possibly land) from the council, plus the club would receive more money in grants towards a new stadium than if redeveloping FCR...Putting aside the emotional attachment to FCR, a new stadium will likely make financial sense.

[:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(][:''(]

With respect Tom, if any of our local councils have got £40 million to lob at something, there are countless other projects it would be far better aimed at.

Newham might see it as a vote winner, it would probably have the opposite effect in Norfolk.

Its an interesting hypothesis and I admire your resolve in the matter but its not going to happen, at least, not in the next few decades.

" I heard on the radio today that Newham Council are to loan West Ham Utd £40m towards the Olympic Stadium. The council official said that the loan wouldn''t cost local council taxpayers anything at all."

Ha ha ha....

Tom, I''m all for stadium expansion but your brand of optimism makes zero sense. As others have said, where in the current economic climate, where councils are being cut to the bone, would this loan come from?

Just who is eager to drop millions on the real estate at Carrow Road? Were in economic decline. Who can''t find space in Norwich?

A new stadium would cost millions, far, far more than expansion and is not necessary.

Let''s not forget tom and his rather "unique" ideas of relocating to the UEA or....you guessed it. The showground.

Just another crackpot plan by tom cavendish.

What this obsessesive yet again conveniently fails to mention is both Hull and Swansea had to move, or that neither actually own their stadium. Carrow Road is ours, nor we do not have to share the use with bum sniffers (be they union or league).

A previous deal that was squeaked about (Bristol Rovers) has again been deferred until January 2013 with no guarantee it will go ahead.

Perhaps he could tell us how many days in the year will West Ham have usage of this stadium, were this deal to go ahead ?

Hopefully you fag packet accounts can gloss over this article and find some ''nuggets''

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/dec/05/west-ham-highest-ranked-bidder-olympic-stadium

[quote user="City1st"]

What this obsessesive yet again conveniently fails to mention is both Hull and Swansea had to move, or that neither actually own their stadium. Carrow Road is ours, nor we do not have to share the use with bum sniffers (be they union or league).

A previous deal that was squeaked about (Bristol Rovers) has again been deferred until January 2013 with no guarantee it will go ahead.

Perhaps he could tell us how many days in the year will West Ham have usage of this stadium, were this deal to go ahead ?

[/quote]

This...

£500 MILLION = COST OF OLYMPIC STADIUM (APPROX).£40 MILLION LOAN = COST TO CONVERT STADIUM FOR FOOTBALL (INCLUDING ADDING RETRACTABLE SEATING OVER THE ATHLETICS TRACK, AND GETTING RID OF TEMPORARY TOP OF STADIUM) TOTAL: £540 MILLION"please mr councillor, can we - your local premier league football club, with little debt and a possible future income of more than £100 million per year, please borrow half a BILLION POUNDS to build a new stadium, when there is really bugger all wrong with ours, other than its a little tight on numbers"   ??????????????????????????

I for one think it is a cracking idea! Think of all the possibilities, for the future and all.

I might offer to fund this, what having recently won the lottery. All hail your new benefactor. I won''t see it as a debt, for now. Maybe fifty years down the line I''ll ask NCFC to repay it - and they will with ease. ''Cos they''re all international now and stuff.

YEP.

[quote user="Resident Canary Stig"]I for one think it is a cracking idea! Think of all the possibilities, for the future and all. I might offer to fund this, what having recently won the lottery. All hail your new benefactor. I won''t see it as a debt, for now. Maybe fifty years down the line I''ll ask NCFC to repay it - and they will with ease. ''Cos they''re all international now and stuff. YEP.[/quote]

Oh so your the other winner then, I was going to do the same, but think you have it covered so I''ll leave it in your hands. 

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

This is a joke, right?

[/quote]

Of course it is, where are the council going to get the moeny from to lend to the club?

Where are these "grants" going to come from?

Yes, its Tom C. on his wind up

[/quote]Don''t forget that Norfolk Council already spends significant sums of taxpayers money on NCFC schemes because it benefits the local community. In Norfolk there isn''t another top class professional football, rugby or cricket club in the whole county which is a reason why the football club is so popular and why its success is so vital to the area. The success of the football club also has major economic benefits to the area. The local council recognises this and would be keen to help NCFC as much as it could. Beside, opposing NCFC would surely be a vote loser.

What absolute nonsense

How could the council oppose something that is NOT in any club''s plans. You have merely made up something (as usual) so you can then knock it down.

Now after you have detailed the spending of "significant sums of taxpayers money on NCFC schemes" you couuld  tell us how many days West Ham will have usage of this stadium.

[quote user="Monty13"]Tom, I''m all for stadium expansion but your brand of optimism makes zero sense. As others have said, where in the current economic climate, where councils are being cut to the bone, would this loan come from?

Just who is eager to drop millions on the real estate at Carrow Road? Were in economic decline. Who can''t find space in Norwich?

A new stadium would cost millions, far, far more than expansion and is not necessary.[/quote]Add up the value of FCR to a retailer, the cost of a new city stand (£2.5m x 20 years), the cost of a reduced capacity whilst a new stand is built, add on the millions of pounds available from football grants that are available for new stadiums. Also consider that the car park behind the Jarrold stand has been sold for housing so many parking spaces will be lost in the future and the income from them.Also consider that the UEA want to expand, and that the Norfolk Showground want to lease land for a new stadium (and there is already a car park built next to the site that is currently closed at times when a match would be played) and there are already direct buses to/from the site and the UEA and city centre.

Now back on planet reality, can you tell us all

1. What is the spending of "significant sums of taxpayers money on NCFC schemes"

2.  How many days West Ham will have usage of this stadium.

[quote user="City1st"]

couuld  tell us how many days West Ham will have usage of this stadium.

[/quote]

The terms of the West Ham deal for use of the Olympic stadium are to be negotiated. Swansea City and Hull City pay very little to use their stadiums.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]
Add up the value of FCR to a retailer
[/quote]

Name a few of these retailers who would be interested. Obviously forget about Comet,Tescos who only want to occupy empty pubs like The Dial and The Firs or Morrisons who want to occupy an empty car showroom on Aylsham Road.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="tom cavendish"]Add up the value of FCR to a retailer[/quote]

Name a few of these retailers who would be interested. Obviously forget about Comet,Tescos who only want to occupy empty pubs like The Dial and The Firs or Morrisons who want to occupy an empty car showroom on Aylsham Road.

[/quote]I also find it bizarre that he is insistent on these ''retailers'' valuing the land so highly.  There''s empty bars on Riverside, when ''Big W'' shut down it was empty for quite some time, Morrisons would never in a million years back a Tesco or equivalent being built on the other side of the road to their store...just who is going to want to retail at this location?

Tom, when Norwich wins an Olympic bid and then needs someone to fill the stadium afterwards then we can compare Norwich City to the situation that is currently going on in East London.

Carrow Road is the only viable option for Norwich at the moment, and for the foreseeable future - unfortunately no benefactor is going to come along and build the club a stadium and then allow them to use it on the cheap, even if there is a viable site elsewhere (which certainly isn''t the Royal Norfolk Showground). If Norwich City want a new stadium they will have to do it the old fashioned, and generally most sensible, way. Getting third parties involved has very rarely worked out well - Swansea being an expection, and the Council in Swansea certainly regret the decision now sweeping cuts have been introduced. I cannot recall one ''football grant'' ever being made to a Premier League club. I admire your determination and you have obviously put in a lot of research but you seem to be unable to see the barriers (and you tend to ignore direct questions about them).

I don''t think the main reason many of the posters on here are shooting down your ideas is due to sentimental attachment to Carrow Road, but just a case of having a grasp upon realities.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="tom cavendish"]Add up the value of FCR to a retailer[/quote]

[/quote]I also find it bizarre that he is insistent on these ''retailers'' valuing the land so highly.  There''s empty bars on Riverside, when ''Big W'' shut down it was empty for quite some time, Morrisons would never in a million years back a Tesco or equivalent being built on the other side of the road to their store...just who is going to want to retail at this location?[/quote]Ikea or a designer outlet centre.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="tom cavendish"]
Add up the value of FCR to a retailer
[/quote]

[/quote]

Another thing Tom is how many hundreds of thousands of sq ft is standing empty all over Norfolk on commercial and retail parks let alone shop units in the centres of Norwich,Kings Lynn and Gt Yarmouth ?

Still wating -

What is the spending of "significant sums of taxpayers money on NCFC schemes"

one or two examples will do