Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Ink

Player ratings vs Chelski

Firstly - I don''t think many teams will beat Chelsea on that form, so to me overall not a bad performance given the opposition quality.

7 - Ruddy - OK performance as we have come to expect. Some great blocks under pressure, but needs to talk to Barnet more. A couple of misunderstandings were the downside, and maybe he should have saved Ivanovich''s volley.

4 - Garrido - Poor game really, much the same as we saw against Liverpool. His Tottenham, QPR, West Ham performances were far better.

6 - Martin - Great efforts, up against Oscar & Hazard, usually outnumbered. Couldn''t expect any more.

6 - Bassong - OK really, but not in the right place for the goals.

6 - Barnet - A couple of dilly dallys on the ball when he should have cleared, but a big effort and some great last ditch tackles. Needs to do the simple thing sometimes instead of holding on to the ball in dangerous positions.

8 - Hoolahan - Fantastic first half, looking our best player. Tremendous running and workrate. Faded badly after about 65 mins and by the end looked exhausted. 

5 - Howson - Did nothing wrong, but didn''t do too much at all. Next in line to be dropped I think.

6 - Elliot Bennett - Good comeback but always outnumbered and very little chance to show attacking prowess. Good workrate with a lot of chasing back.

7 - Johnson - Rock in front of the defense. Quite impressed when he showed some neat skills on the left wing. Sadly just lacking in the quality needed to compete with Chelsea''s best.

7 - Tettey - Good opening 20 minutes but faded steadily as the game progressed. Should have done better with his stooped header, and shame his 35 yard screamer wasn''t on target. Could have been goal of the season. His performance warrants a start vs Arsenal.

9 - Holt - Brilliant performance. So much running for a big guy! Well taken goal, and unlucky with 2 headers. Real effort and good link-up play with Hoolahan. 

Subs:

2 - Morrison - Did nothing, did not chase back looking for the ball, did not try and move into space. Game was already over, but Jackson should be ahead of him in the pecking order.

3 - Ryan Bennett - Nothing wrong except give away a silly foul, but he looked like a rabbit in headlights. Obviously lacking game time.

6 - Pilkington - We were seriously under the cosh with Chelsea playing possesion football when he came on. Good effort though, he should be a starter vs Arsenal.

7 - Ruddy - Kept us in the game at times when it could have been more. Needs a better defence in front of him.

4 - Garrido - Not bad, but had no support in front of him and never really anyone to pass to.

5 - Martin - Played OK, went missing for the 3rd goal. Still looks suspect against pacey players.

6 - Bassong - Probably pick of the bunch at the back, still the occasional mistake - perhaps needs to be more commanding

4 - Barnett - Not good enough for me. Makes too many mistakes, hesitates too much. Very clumsy challenges, should have given away a penalty - got very lucky with that.

4 - Hoolahan - Would be lower, but his effort to chase players, amongst some good linking play gives him a 4. Very, very poor today. Poor passes, takes too long on the ball and at fault for the 3rd goal when he had plenty of options. Needs to be quicker, and in my opinion, needs to be dropped. Maybe the system didn''t suit him today. Either way, very poor showing apart from the first 10 minutes.

3 - Howson - Can''t even remember him being on the pitch most of the game. Came alive in the last 10 minutes when he was pushed further forward. Not a defensive midfielder, and needs to stop being played so deep.

4 - Elliot Bennett - Little or nothing to note. Defensively he did OK but rarely got anything meaningful into the box or beat defenders. This was mainly due to Hoolahan taking so long to get the ball out wide, though.

FH 4 SH 7 - Johnson - First half he was awful apart from setting up the goal. Gave the ball away, failed to track player runs and just had a torrid time. That said, came back out in the second half and for me was the pick of the lot. Played in some good crosses, defended well down the left too. Would have been my MOTM but let himself down in the first half.

6 - Tettey - Still undecided on this guy. Looks like he has a lot of promise, but again, don''t think the system we played today suited him at all. Can clearly pass the ball well, and is a nice little tackler too. Would like to see more of him, but the system needs to change.

9 - Holt - This guy is good. In fact, he was the only player on the pitch that looked up to Premier League standard (apart from maybe Ruddy). Neat little flicks and tricks when stranded up front on his own, and on another day could have added another couple of goals to his days work with two close headers. Needs support though. You can clearly see we lack that striker to play up top with Holt, but it''s too late to do anything about that now.

Subs:

N/A - Morrison - Game was already over, couldn''t really do much.

N/A - Ryan Bennett - Not really time to judge. But lets just say we should never have Barnett and Bennett at the back at the same time. Too little experience there I think!

6 - Pilkington - Changed the dynamic, and probably should have come on earlier. How he didn''t come on for Hoolahan at half time boggles me.

Agree with most of that. Great game by Holty. Don''t think Howson played as badly as many seemed to think or that Tettey was quite as good as has been said.

Chelsea''s movement on and off the ball was the difference today and we simply couldn''t live with them.

I actually meant to give Tettey a 5, he didn''t do anything amazing, but played okay. Our entire midfield was so poor considering we had 5 midfielder''s there to combat Chelski''s possession.

I''ve got to admit, I used to hate Chelsea''s bullying approach, but the football they played today was right up there with Utd, City and dare I say it, Barca

I am a Wes fan but his performance was mixed to say the least. Very weak for the third goal and too easily brushed off the ball in the second half.Ruddy 8Holt 9The rest pretty average

Sunderland also lost by 3 goals and were dominated in a similar way by Man City. There really is a massive gulf between the well monied teams and the rest of the league. I''m not worried yet, but after Arsenal we need a couple of wins to keep our heads above water. BTW just noticed WHU are 1-0 up vs Arsenal! 

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]8 - Hoolahan - Fantastic first half, looking our best player. Tremendous running and workrate. Faded badly after about 65 mins and by the end looked exhausted. [/quote]Amazing, that.He gave the ball away time after time, including for their 3rd goal which changed the entire match as we were in it at 2-1 down.6 at best, 5 would be my rating.

Most I agree with but Pilkington was shocking considering he had 20 minutes to put a shift in, looked disinterested to me.

And Barnett, well I''m sorry but we have an England U21 centre back on the bench who must be shaking his head in disbelief he keeps getting picked. Indecisive, poor reading of siuations diving in,,, i could go on.

Holt impressive, though still needs support.

Reality is the Chelsea team has the best attacking midfield in Prem, I think we were better than last week, shape worked better, hope to get something from the Arse, but bring on Villa.....

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]Sunderland also lost by 3 goals and were dominated in a similar way by Man City. There really is a massive gulf between the well monied teams and the rest of the league. I''m not worried yet, but after Arsenal we need a couple of wins to keep our heads above water. BTW just noticed WHU are 1-0 up vs Arsenal! [/quote]but eventually lost 3-1

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]If 5.5 is average:Ruddy 5.5Martin 6Barnett 2Bassong 5Garrido 3Bennett 5Tettey 4Howson 3Johnson 6Hoolahoop 7Holt 6[/quote]I''m not convinced Hoolahan was (a) well above average and (b) our best player by that clear a margin.  Surely Holt, who didn''t cause the 3rd goal and kill the game, was our best player today?If 5.5 is average:Ruddy 5.5Martin 5.5Barnett 3.5Bassong 5Garrido 3.5Bennett 5.5Tettey 4.5Howson 4Johnson 6Hoolahoop 4.5Holt 6.5

Ruddy 6.5Martin 6.0Barnett 5.0Bassong 5.0Garrido 5.0Bennett 5.5Tettey 4.5Howson 6.0Johnson 6.0Hoolahoop 6.0Holt 7.0

[quote user="AJ"]I actually meant to give Tettey a 5, he didn''t do anything amazing, but played okay. Our entire midfield was so poor considering we had 5 midfielder''s there to combat Chelski''s possession. I''ve got to admit, I used to hate Chelsea''s bullying approach, but the football they played today was right up there with Utd, City and dare I say it, Barca[/quote]

Just as Liverpool''s was last week because we simply don''t shut the opposition down and allow too much space when they are in possession. Playing the way we do will always make the opposition look excellent. [:@]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"]If 5.5 is average:Ruddy 5.5Martin 6Barnett 2Bassong 5Garrido 3Bennett 5Tettey 4Howson 3Johnson 6Hoolahoop 7Holt 6[/quote]I''m not convinced Hoolahan was (a) well above average and (b) our best player by that clear a margin.  Surely Holt, who didn''t cause the 3rd goal and kill the game, was our best player today?If 5.5 is average:Ruddy 5.5Martin 5.5Barnett 3.5Bassong 5Garrido 3.5Bennett 5.5Tettey 4.5Howson 4Johnson 6Hoolahoop 4.5Holt 6.5[/quote]Well I do think Wes was our best player and by the margin I''ve put. He wasn''t perfect (hence a 7 and not a 10) but he was the one player who had any real invention about him. If we''d taken him out of the team, I think our possession and forward play would have dropped amazingly. And yes, he was beaten for the third goal but a) he''s 4''7" and jumping with Mata for a high ball and then b) Mata had to stride 75 yards down the pitch, play one ball to cut out our entire back line and Hazard to finish it.However, as I put in another thread, football is all about opinion and differences between, make supporting what it is

Ruddy 6- Thought he stayed on his line too much.

Garrido 4- Not that impressed with him, looked like he had a touch a quality earlier in the season, but now i''d rather have Drury back.

Martin 6- Was never going to have an easy time with Hazard and Cole, but did alright and got forward, but didn''t create anything.

Barnett 6- better of the two CBs

Bassong 5- not sure he was fully fit

Hoolahan 7- Hard for him to carry a whole teams attacking threat on his own, but he tried his best

Howson 5/6- Needs to play to his strengths more.

Bennett 5- Needs to run past players more. He''s faster than Cole, yet only ran at/past him once...

Johnson 8- Great crossing, won the ball a few times, got stuck in, can''t remember him giving the ball away. But i''m sure I just missed his rubbishness and imagined all that.

Tettey 7- I like him, could be a good player for us

Holt 8- Looks more like himself now.

Subs didn''t do much, Pilks showed once why we need him in the team, but 5 or so mins after he came on we appeared to just give up completely.

Wow are people actually slating

Of Hoolahan, he was the most creative player on the pitch and all play went through him

Ruddy 8 - kept the scoreline from being embarrassing 2nd half

Garrido 4 - was so impressed earlier this season but second very poor game. Could not get close to Mata.

Martin 6 - Did OK defensively and showed willing to get forward

Barnett 6 - too clumsy but good nod back for Holt''s goal

Bassong 6 - slightly off the pace

Hoolahan 6 - Some good moments and our main source of possession but was too ineffective.

Howson 6- Looks distinctly uncomfortable in the disciplined, defensive role allocated to him.

Bennett 4 - I like Benno but didn''t offer enough today to keep his place ahead of Snodgrass.

Johnson 7 - Solid game in an unfamiliar position. We missed his competitiveness in the middle.

Tettey 5 - Had his moments but overall I am not convinced that he will add much quality or steel to our play.

Holt 9 - On a par with the best of his performances last season. Great to see him back on form - we desperately need him at his best.

Subs - no effect on the game which was over before they came on.

More important than individual scores is the performance as a team, for which I would give a below-par 5. Belief is sorely lacking.

For all the skill of Mata, Hazard and Oscar, it was Lampard and Mikel that ran the show today. They had so much time and space they must have thought it was a training match. There was no pressing the ball high up the pitch.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]Holty scored, give him a 9/10![/quote]

Trite.

The man was massive today. One Messiesque back-heel that should have led to a goal stood out for me. 

[quote user="Mister Chops"]We lost 4-1, barely managed an attack after 60 minutes, and people are handing out 8s and 9s.  FFS, I give up.[/quote]I agree, even though I recognise we were playing the league leaders and the European Champions (as they are so fond of reminding us) and most teams will get a beating at Stamford Bridge I thought we were atrocious on the whole and I am actually embarrassed at how out of our depth we have looked in the last couple of matches.

[quote user="willo"]

And Barnett, well I''m sorry but we have an England U21 centre back on the bench who must be shaking his head in disbelief he keeps getting picked. Indecisive, poor reading of siuations diving in,,, i could go on.

[/quote]

Can''t say I''ve seen anything from Ryan Bennett to suggest he''s any better. Have you forgotten how badly he struggled against good sides like Liverpool and Man City last season? They tore him to shreds.

Leon Barnett has his faults but so does Ryan Bennett (a big lack of pace and a lack of quality on the ball) so perhaps we''re better giving time to Barnett and Bassong to form a good partnership (which they have shown signs of doing) rather than making a change for the sake of it, particularly when that change would only be a sideways move at best.

I really don''t get this Wes hoolahan ''love in''

There is no doubting he is a talented player but there is no way he was our best player today, was at fault for the 3rd and constantly got caught on the ball

Hoolahan is an inconsistently good player who shows flashes of Both brilliance and football at a league one level, this is a commodity we can live without

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]I really don''t get this Wes hoolahan ''love in''

There is no doubting he is a talented player but there is no way he was our best player today, was at fault for the 3rd and constantly got caught on the ball

Hoolahan is an inconsistently good player who shows flashes of Both brilliance and football at a league one level, this is a commodity we can live without[/quote]

Hey, give peas a chance !!!!