Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Villa really are a poor side...

just watched the kind of gutless, dispirited display by Villa at Spurs this afternoon that we very very rarely would have seen under Lambert. I wonder whether Villa are actually worse than they were last season as I can''t see that any of Lambert''s signings has improved their team?!?

Assuming our next match vs Arsenal goes to form we really should be looking at going to Villa Park (if we can possibly put any of the surrounding issues to one side) and actually beating a team that I believe we''re still better than?

I have to say I think that is a bit of a make or break game for Hughton, Win and all the fans are behind him and we all kick on, Lose and I fear it''s all going downhill.

I don''t agree. They played with spirit and Benteke had a good game although missed a couple of good headers. Villa also played the last 15-20 minutes with 10 men after Bennett was stretchered off and Lambert had used all of his subs. I think they''ll give us a very tough match and will beat us if we play as we have done recently. 

[quote user="Year of the tiger"]Strange I only watched the second half but thought they were more outplayed than us yesterday.....but then I never thought Cody was gods gift!.[/quote]

Just shows then doesn''t it. Don''t judge a game or anything else on half of it or you''ll end up with Chris Martin. [:D]

If they didn''t have Bent and a January transfer window I think they would rival us to go down ... which would make that late match against Villa at Carrow Road very significant!

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]If they didn''t have Bent and a January transfer window I think they would rival us to go down ... which would make that late match against Villa at Carrow Road very significant![/quote]

they do have Bent yet they aren''t even playing him !!!!!!!!!!

We''ll just agree to differ, but I did see every game that Cody played for us ..does that mean I missed something

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Year of the tiger"]Strange I only watched the second half but thought they were more outplayed than us yesterday.....but then I never thought Cody was gods gift!.[/quote]

Just shows then doesn''t it. Don''t judge a game or anything else on half of it or you''ll end up with Chris Martin. [:D]

[/quote]

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]the fact is Villa gave up when the first went it, as I said that is something you never saw here under their manager home or away, they look a squad fragile in confidence.[/quote]

If they had given up they would have lost 5-0 or so as we do. Spurs were very good, with the pace of Lennon, Defoe and Bale today so losing 2-0 when down to 10 men is hardly a disgrace. Villa had their work cut out just to keep Spurs out.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]the fact is Villa gave up when the first went it, as I said that is something you never saw here under their manager home or away, they look a squad fragile in confidence.[/quote]

If they had given up they would have lost 5-0 or so as we do. Spurs were very good, with the pace of Lennon, Defoe and Bale today so losing 2-0 when down to 10 men is hardly a disgrace. Villa had their work cut out just to keep Spurs out.

[/quote]Do you ever say anything positive about Norwich?

[quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]

It was only 2-0 through some wayward finishing from Defie,Dempsey and Bale not because of anything Villa did?. besides which Spurs didnt have to go all out for more goals as they knew Villa had nothing to come back at them with.

just like norwich under hughton then

they looked quite good against west brom & swansea, theyve got more going forward than city have

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]

Do you ever say anything positive about Norwich?
[/quote]

Ok.  Things can only get better !! 

[quote user="technika"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]the fact is Villa gave up when the first went it, as I said that is something you never saw here under their manager home or away, they look a squad fragile in confidence.[/quote]

just like norwich under hughton then

they looked quite good against west brom & swansea, theyve got more going forward than city have
[/quote]

well as JF said earlier on this thread, this game is a bit of a make of break for Hughton, he has the alibi of this run of 4 fixtures  to explain this current set of results to an extent. We saw at Tottenham that they''re capable of a reaction when going behind in a match and I dont think we gave in at Newcastle. I don''t see any excuses for this match though and our players (certainly the ones who were here least season) shouldnt need any motivation.

Good stuff Mr. Moy.Plus, if you consider that QPhaha and W''ham were the only 2 on paper that we could be expected to win, 3 points isnt bad. Plus we got a great point at Spurs.Hoot will get it right (showed glimpses of it yesterday)... mark my words.The time to judge Hoot is when we''ve played teams more around our level. Not the Liverpools, Chelseas and Arsenals of this world.

If Villa really are that poor much credit will be due to Lambert and Culverhouse for keeping them in the PL. I think at Villa Park we may find out quite how poor they are.

Btw how come we only seem to have lower tier tickets this season rather than upper and lower like last - is our support down or has the away support section at VP been reconfigured?

[quote user="Year of the tiger"]Strange I only watched the second half but thought they were more outplayed than us yesterday.....but then I never thought Cody was gods gift!.[/quote]Make no mistake, the game vs Villa is going to be tough, they have Fulham away next which is potential 0 pointer for them, so come their next home game (us), they will be just as, if not more fired up than us with the fans now seemingly onside too. The game today was pretty even until Spurs got there first goal around 60 mins in, Villa missed 2 sitters with Benteke right before Spurs scored. After that, they fell apart. Seeing that, I recon first goal will be key for Villa vs Norwich.

The highlights looked pretty even, but in reality anything other than a Spurs victory would have been a travesty.  Spurs had 3 times as many shots as Villa, Spurs had 8 corners, Villa 0, I could go on....

The Villa game is very significant.  Lose and I think relegation would be a certainty for a variety of reasons.

Absolutely, the Villa game is crucial. The fact that we''re up against Lambert makes it a game that will in many respects define Hughton and could determine his job. So far this season Canaries fans have been comparing our performances to those of previous seasons and so far the Hughton reign has been seen to be wanting. However, the Villa game will allow direct comparison. I just hope that we don''t get trounced by Arsenal. The team need the confidence of a decent performance against the Gooners. Another bad defeat and players'' chins could be on the floor heading to Villa Park.

[quote user="Highland Canary"] Btw how come we only seem to have lower tier tickets this season rather than upper and lower like last - is our support down or has the away support section at VP been reconfigured?[/quote]
Did we? I was sat on the bottom and thought (although  I could be wrong here) that there were Villa fans above us. I know we weren''t spread out like at Wolves where you just go right along the bottom, but I didn''t think we had upper and lower. May be wrong though!

I''m not sure there is too much between us and Villa at the moment, given the teams that we have both played then on paper we drew with Spurs and Lost to Newcastle where Villa drew with Newcastle and lost to Spurs.

After the last two games I''m sure all the Villa fans are saying much the same about Norwich, what a poor side! and who can argue with that.

The Villa game, along with Swansea, West Ham, Reading, Southampton and QPR are going to be the ones we have to win, and given that we couldn''t beat QPR or West Ham at home I think we are already behinf in the relegation dog fight and need to win at Villa. Picking up points against Stoke, Sunderland, Fulham and so on along the way helps bolster the points total, but I cannot see where 40 points is going to come from this year, for me I hope it goes the other way and four or five teams all stuggle for points, say 36 points enough to stay up.

Time will tell but don''t kid yourselves that Villa are a poor side which we can beat off the back of a 5-2, 4-1 and god knows against Arseanl, could be another 5-1, 6-0 , 7-2 hiding! Confidence is a huge thing with these players and three bad results won''t help going into a crutial three games.

We will see the trus charecter of the players, manager and coaches after the Arseanl game.

Tony Cascarino in one of his five "Picks of the Week" which is his reflection on the weekend''s football in today''s Times:

"It''s one thing Paul Lambert finding his Aston Villa team reduced to ten men after he had used all his substitutes at White Hart Lane. But he sent on Charles N''Zogbia and Darren Bent with no warm-up. That borders on unprofessional."

Interesting.  Is the pressure getting to Lambert I wonder?  It must be huge and overwhelming.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

Tony Cascarino in one of his five "Picks of the Week" which is his reflection on the weekend''s football in today''s Times:

"It''s one thing Paul Lambert finding his Aston Villa team reduced to ten men after he had used all his substitutes at White Hart Lane. But he sent on Charles N''Zogbia and Darren Bent with no warm-up. That borders on unprofessional."

Interesting.  Is the pressure getting to Lambert I wonder?  It must be huge and overwhelming.

[/quote]

On the contrary, perhaps Lambert/Culverhouse had spotted something that needed rectifying immediately, or an opportunity, and in order to have any chance of saving the game, time was of the essence. That could be deemed ''professional''.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[/quote]

On the contrary, perhaps Lambert/Culverhouse had spotted something that needed rectifying immediately, or an opportunity, and in order to have any chance of saving the game, time was of the essence. That could be deemed ''professional''.

[/quote]

Of course!!  Silly me!!

I should have consulted you rather than take notice of a former international football who has made a successful career as a journalist.

So sorry.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Of course!!  Silly me!!

I should have consulted you rather than take notice of a former international football who has made a successful career as a journalist.

So sorry.

[/quote]

Perhaps you should have. Former professional footballers are trying to sell ''copy'' so it is to their benefit to be controversial, especially as they don''t understand the workings of Lambert and Culverhouse minds and  tactics.  As we all should know, Lambert can make strange decisions that pay off.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Of course!!  Silly me!!

So sorry.

[/quote]

You certainly should have Cambridge. Moyo know more than my mother-in-law and has just as much to say about it...

[quote user="paul moy"]Well, I think I know more about Lambert than Cascarino.[/quote]

Of course.  We know that.

It''s your unbounded arrogance and your complete lack of self awareness that make you such a loved and admired poster.  I have broken my promise to myself not to engage with you on here and renew that promise now.   Thank you for reminding me why I made it in the first place.   I do hope that for the good of all you will make McNally aware of your extraordinary experience and ability so that we can reach the Champions League Final next year.