Sign in to follow this  
CanaryDodge84

Lost my job today due to love of NCFC :-(

Basically.......asked my boss for Saturday off over a month ago so i could go to the QPR game last saturday. He rejected it.......so i made a story up and went any way.

At the time nothing mattered more than being at the match. Now i have no job/income and feel an idiot for being immature with my decision making.

I''m 27 and live in Fakenham........any die hard City fans know of any jobs going locally!?

Obviously in a bad mood right now so jokes and silly options won''t brighten my day lol

I haven''t missed a home league game for 17 years and didn''t see a minimum wage job in a pub as a good enough reason to miss Norwich......silly i know :-(

Any suggestions anybody!?

How is it a shame? People like him cost employers thousands of pounds a year by just not turning up, you really think any employer would give you a job after reading this? how many times you pulled this trick before?

Learn from your mistakes.Although your ex boss sounds a bit like the old Viking King Cnut , if he couldnt give you a saturday off a month in advance.To be honest you should just go to places and show willing to work, someone will soon snap you up. However you cant let football get in the way of real life so to speak :) Good luck mate.

Tbf when i have done something similar before, i realised i probs wouldn''t have any luck getting time off legitimately, 1 measly 4 hour shift was not going to stop me having a week in london though! I carefully asked about if anyone was going on hols soon etc, as it turned out, i would have not been able to take holiday, so i never asked and my ''illness'' seemed legit. Your boss should understand that you are a die hard norwich fan if he has any personal management skills and therefore allow you to not work when norwich play at home. I understand they may be short staffed etc, but surely there was someone else who could have worked and you could have just worked double or whatever another time.

What businesses often don''t understand is the needs of part time staff, I know in the current climate, i was lucky to have a job etc, but when you are just a student trying to do a few hours, they should be more flexible what them hours are sometimes.

I hasten to add that in my 10 years of working life, i have done this once. It is not something i think people should make a habit of, it is letting a lot of people down, i just felt i had extenuating circumstances that work would not understand.

Just checked Jobs24, there are five in Fakenham.  Details below - either number one or five up your street maybe?

A beautiful village pub in East Rudham, Nr Fakenham is looking for a Front of House team member to join this passionate team. The role will cover all areas of working front of house from making coffee to serving Rosette standard food in the beautiful restaurant. The successful candidate will need to have a genuine passion for hospitality and food as this is a role not for the faint hearted its fast paced and standards are high. Previous experince of food and beverage servuce is essential.  Work trials avaliable for successful applicants. This is a great role for someone looking to make their mark in hospitality as the progression and training with this company is second to none. For more information please contact Glyn Harrison on 01603 217587 or email your CV to glyn@prosper-businessrecruitment.co.uk (£14k)

An opportunity has arisen for an individual with a strong sales background who is looking to develop a career in estate agency. The successful candidate will have an abundance of enthusiasm and a work rate that will meet the high expectations of this market leading branch. The candidate must be able to multi-task, priortise and have exceptional customer skills. If you have a charismatic personality and are looking for a position that is challenging, rewarding and offering future prospects please call. Car essential. Interested? Please call Pete Ward on 07769 696999 or email pete.ward@sequencehome.co.uk

Manpower are currently recruiting on behalf of a manufacturing client based in West Norfolk to find an experienced CNC Machinist. This firm manufacture components for the agricultural equipment industry and has a strong reputation locally. The ideal candidate will have CNC machining/operating experience. Ideally you will have experience of FANUC controls. This role is offered on a permanent basis and is paying circa £25-30k. This role is available for a prompt start. Benefits: holiday + pension

Todd Hayes Ltd, a very successful, award winning furniture manufacturer is currently seeking a Draughtsperson/Product Designer to join their rapidly increasing workforce. The ideal candidate will have thorough working knowledge of AutoCad, Solidworks and Associated IT skills and be from a bespoke joinery/furniture making background. For further details regarding this exciting opportunity, please forward a copy of your CV today.

SPC Technologies Ltd is a rapidly growing technical plastics manufacturer based in North Norfolk and is a global supplier of technical and medical plastic components. A position has arisen for an individual in production, with the majority of the work being on the production line. The role will entail significant manual work. They will also be willing to get involved in all areas of production and to assist the directors as required. Outstanding employees will find ample opportunity for progression within our rapidly growing company. Salary level:  Subject to skills and experience. Job type: Full-time Permanent 40 hours per week

I can''t believe that Asda hasn''t been suggested yet - you could keep an eye out for our new striker.

My mate was in the Met Police and asked for a week off to go to the world cup in Germany. They refused it so she pulled a sick and went anyway. On her return she was sacked immediately. she asked how they know and they just said ''we are the police''. They had all her flight numbers and everything. Now THAT was stupid.

Good luck to you mate. Having run a business I know it''s not that hard to get someone to cover a shift. If you were a policeman it may be different, but I''m sure you''re not the only lad in Fakenham that can pull a good pint. I hope you get another job soon.

[quote user="Delia''s Devonshire Dirtbox"]

How is it a shame? People like him cost employers thousands of pounds a year by just not turning up, you really think any employer would give you a job after reading this? how many times you pulled this trick before?

Applicant - Canarydodge84

Recruiter ''Better go on Pinkun and see what hes been saying''

Excuse my flippancy, but also surprised no-one has yet suggested that a management vacancy might come up in the not too distant future in the Birmingham area (but presumably with company car included).

The prime job functions would likely involve budgetting and sales. Scottishness an asset.

I''m more staggered by the fact that you have had nothing better to do with your time on any single Saturday for 17 years!!

Seriously.

damn this lack of edit function!!!!

meant to read ''every other Saturday''!

In any case, that''s a lot of Saturday''s taken up. How have you possibly been able to not miss a single home game for 17 years?!!

No girlfriend/wife, no kids, no work ''commitments'', no other hobby, no holidays during the season, no mate''s weddings?!

I''m actually quite intrueged.

If your boss said no to your annual leave request, and you were due to work, I can understand why you were fired for not turning up. You dumped your boss in it without warning.

If watching Norwich play is the most important thing to you, why not go get a job that never involves Saturday working?

If you were in my pub and couldn''t get served for ages ''cos one of my staff had made up a story and not turned up for work how would you feel then? On a football Sat I have all or most of my staff (including me) working so may not be able to offer them time off. Is that mean, stingy or just professional?

Ketts, i bet you also tell your staff about Saturdays when they start, huh? They all know the issues when they start.

It''s not science for rockets....Saturdays are often the busiest day of the week for pubs, be they city centre bars or village gastro''s. Staff not turning up = poor service for visitors = poor reputation = less profit = redundancies.

Can''t understand why anyone would think you''ve been hard done by, OP.

[quote user="CanaryNath"]

damn this lack of edit function!!!!

meant to read ''every other Saturday''!

In any case, that''s a lot of Saturday''s taken up. How have you possibly been able to not miss a single home game for 17 years?!!

No girlfriend/wife, no kids, no work ''commitments'', no other hobby, no holidays during the season, no mate''s weddings?!

I''m actually quite intrueged.

[/quote]Even better why not ask the fans who''ve not missed a game, home and probably away too, Saturday or midweek, for longer than that.In the time I''ve been supporting Norwich I''ve met several supporters who have incredible attendance records. They have jobs ( difficult to afford otherwise ), holidays, other hobbies, and, believe it or not relationships too. Presumably they also manage to squeeze in the odd wedding and funeral as and when.It''s whatever floats your boat.....

Yep! And Bank Holidays and Xmas and New Years Eve. Unsurprisingly all the times when other people want to be........in the pub!!

OP, you did not lose your job because of your love for NCFC. You would still love them as much if you had gone to work. You lost your job because you let your employer and your colleagues down. Boring I know, but true

[quote user="CanaryDodge84"]Basically.......asked my boss for Saturday off over a month ago so i could go to the QPR game last saturday. He rejected it.......so i made a story up and went any way. At the time nothing mattered more than being at the match. Now i have no job/income and feel an idiot for being immature with my decision making. I''m 27 and live in Fakenham........any die hard City fans know of any jobs going locally!? Obviously in a bad mood right now so jokes and silly options won''t brighten my day lol I haven''t missed a home league game for 17 years and didn''t see a minimum wage job in a pub as a good enough reason to miss Norwich......silly i know :-( Any suggestions anybody!?[/quote]

Only got yourself to blame I''m affraid. Running a business is hard enough without people letting you down, especially at busy times. Serves you right I''d say. 

I can''t argue with being sacked. I totally agree with anybody who thinks i''m a numpty for not going to work. I had been working for a company for 8 1/2 years before the job in the pub which i had for 3 months.....and the previous employer was flexible as i was a manager i could dictate my own work load and times of doing it. This job in the pub was "something for now" and i had gone down the formal route of asking for the day off. He rejected it. What riled me was that i asked for Fulham away off too......he rejected it and i had to look to sell train and bus ticket......after doing (the morning of the Fulham game) he then tells me i have the day off so.....ummmm a bit late to tell me now when i had already said i had sold the tickets. He knew how much it meant to me and he has no interest in football whatsoever so was really flipant about messing me about. The QPR game i asked for us a month in advance....he said no because it was bank holiday weekend and EVERYBODY was needed in. The friday night before the QPR game i am then told by a couple of collegues that they have the day on the Saturday.....i asked them how they got it off and they hadn''t asked.... just been given the Saturday....despite my boss telling me EVERYBODY had to be in and me actually wanting the day off. It would now appear my boss was some what of a numpty and had layed out a trap of which i fell right into. Over 17 years following Norwich versus minimum wage job at pub. At the time i thought i had made the correct decision........hindsight is always a good thing.....my actions and decisions are now regretable.

which pub is it? do they not show the games via dodgy web feed anyway?until i met my current partner i hadn’t missed a single home game from 1996-2005, went to games with the flu, a day after dislocating my knee cap, used to miss family events etc.easy enough to do.... now that family and mortgage have come along even getting to look at Carrow Road these days is a rarity :(could you not have just asked someone for a shift swap?reminds me of a joke "you said you needed saturday morning off to see the Dentist, but i saw you at the football with a leggy blonde with big boobs!" "Yes... she is my dentist!"

You went to every home match since you were 10? Come on?! Were you not sick, on holidays, at work, hungover, on school trip (!) or something for at least one game before now!? If true you must have had a pretty consistant trip through puberty and late teens partying. Also pretty lucky to not have to had  to have worked or had to attend a wedding or something before now.

The whole story sounds a bit weird to be honest.

How did Hitler find out you went to the match? SS Agents?

Apologies if you genuinely lost your job and hope you get another but wow, strange story. Are you completely sure it''s real life?

kevchenko13, I think you should go for his interview, as you seem to have enough time on your hands to check out the situations vacant, at 27 ,I think he''s old enough to sort out his own life!