Sign in to follow this  
stoke canary

Morro

Thing is, Moro is such a frustrating player but all that is written about him on this board was similar to what Millwall supporters said.

He splits opinions eg poor first touch, questionable work rate and attitude (was booed by Millwall fans), against that we get ''best forward we have'', ''will score 10 plus goals this season''

Well my opinion is firmly with the former although it would be great if the latter opinions were correct.

I also happen to think CH is not too convinced.

Moro scored 9 league goals in just 22 starts last season. Most of those were before his injury and subsequent dip in form. There is no reason that a fully fit Moro couldn''t reach double figures this season.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Moro scored 9 league goals in just 22 starts last season. Most of those were before his injury and subsequent dip in form. There is no reason that a fully fit Moro couldn''t reach double figures this season.[/quote]

True, but I''m sure Martin will get over 9 in 22 starts and it looks like CH believes that too. Onwards and Upwards.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Moro scored 9 league goals in just 22 starts last season. Most of those were before his injury and subsequent dip in form. There is no reason that a fully fit Moro couldn''t reach double figures this season.[/quote]

True, but I''m sure Martin will get over 9 in 22 starts and it looks like CH believes that too. Onwards and Upwards.

[/quote]

Completely agree,well said[Y]

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="BWs Cat"]Morison scores many match winning goals Morison get''s hated on Morison decides to play with an injury Morison get''s hated Morison scores that goal against Arsenal Morison gets hated. Where''s the logic? Morison had an excellent season and should be given some praise for once. And what is all this bollocks about him being Carlos Tevez and pissing off the whole team? Bollocks, all of it.[/quote]

As someone wisely posted,it''s because he wasn''t Holt.[:|]

[/quote]It may even be more subtle than that - it''s because, in my view, he was preferred to Holt at the start of the season by Lambert.  The people''s hero dethroned by a skinhead from Millwall.  Now with hindsight we know Holt wasn''t fully fit (arguably self-inflicted) but when you are asked to take the place of a hero (not just a cult hero) people are going to look at everything you do, tut, and say "Holt would have done better".Had Holt remained 1st choice and Morison been used as a "super sub", I would bet Morison would be well liked by all.

I like Super Chris, I really do, he''s technically very good and his link up play is fantastic. He''s also a great finisher but I just don''t see him being that prolific for us in the top flight Paul, especially as Hughton seems to favour playing 1 up front. I see him being more effective in the Wes type role at the tip of the diamond and with Wes, Howson, Butterfield and Snoddy he''s got some serious competition in the AM role.

I''d genuinely love to be wrong though and see him rattle in 15 before Christmas.

I would find it crazy to get rid of Morison this late in the transfer window, especially if the recurrent rumours of Vaughan leaving are true.

I realise that Morison''s body language at times does him no favours, but he is the only one other than Holt who could play up front on his own.

Jackson and Chris Martin struggled to make any impact last season, and I would sooner have to rely on Morison than either of them.

If Morison and Vaughan leave, we would be pretty much forced into playing 4-5-1, a formation that is so far unproven, unless Hughton can sign a striker before the window closes. Sounds fraught with risk to me, so hopefully this Morison rumour is untrue.

[quote user="Jacko"]

I will put my head above the parapit. I completely disagree with Nexus (who is an excellent poster in my opinion). I think getting rid of Morison at this stage would be a disaster. You may not like him and I agree he underperformed in the second half of last season. However there are two concrete facts you cant get away from. Holt aside he was the only striker who threatened to get into double figures for league goals last season (9 in the Premier League). I honestly don''t believe that Jackson or Martin would get near that figure even if they played all season. Vaughan has the potential to get there but can he stay injury free for an entire season to do it? That is an entirely different question all together. If Holt were to get injured and Morison has been sold. I ask posters on here. Who can effectively step up and lead the line? Where are the goals coming from?

The second question issue I would put to both Nexus and any other Morison detractors concern our style of play. If we are to play 1 up front this season which seems likely then Morison I would argue is actually better suited to this task than Holt (as much I love Grant). He possesses greater mobility which is an absolute prerequisite for the role making him a better fit. This is actually something Holt himself has admitted in an interview last season. The evidence for this is the strong run we had around the autumn when Moro played up top by himself with Wes tucked in behind in him.  Holt was effective as a game changer from the bench such as against Liverpool at Anfield.

Just my opinion and I am putting the tin hat on. Feel free to shoot me down Nexus and others.  

[/quote]

I agree with you jacko; morison will be very important next season if he has the right attitude.

Can I just remind 4-5-1 doubters that in the 6 games between bolton (a) and blackburn (h) last season we won 3, drew 2 and lost 1. This is when we played hoolahan off morison in a settled 4-5-1. I''m not saying that we should play morison upfront on his own all season, but it could be a really good option. (Holt haf a massive impact off the bench in that period eg Liverpool away)

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I like Super Chris, I really do, he''s technically very good and his link up play is fantastic. He''s also a great finisher but I just don''t see him being that prolific for us in the top flight Paul, especially as Hughton seems to favour playing 1 up front. I see him being more effective in the Wes type role at the tip of the diamond and with Wes, Howson, Butterfield and Snoddy he''s got some serious competition in the AM role. I''d genuinely love to be wrong though and see him rattle in 15 before Christmas.[/quote]

Well, CH tried to sign him for Brum didn''t he so he must really rate him. Admittedly Brum were Champs at the time, but my trust is in CH as a good judge of Prem quality.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="BWs Cat"]Morison scores many match winning goals Morison get''s hated on Morison decides to play with an injury Morison get''s hated Morison scores that goal against Arsenal Morison gets hated. Where''s the logic? Morison had an excellent season and should be given some praise for once. And what is all this bollocks about him being Carlos Tevez and pissing off the whole team? Bollocks, all of it.[/quote]

As someone wisely posted,it''s because he wasn''t Holt.[:|]

[/quote]

It may even be more subtle than that - it''s because, in my view, he was preferred to Holt at the start of the season by Lambert.  The people''s hero dethroned by a skinhead from Millwall.  Now with hindsight we know Holt wasn''t fully fit (arguably self-inflicted) but when you are asked to take the place of a hero (not just a cult hero) people are going to look at everything you do, tut, and say "Holt would have done better".

Had Holt remained 1st choice and Morison been used as a "super sub", I would bet Morison would be well liked by all.

[/quote]

I think you may be right,good post.

As to his drop in form was it simply down to the audible moaning,mild injury or,as someone else mentioned,could the death of Speed been a major factor.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]

Please tell me you are joking!

Is Martin the new Cody for you?

Until Christmas Morison was by a mile our best striker. His performance at home to Swansea was one of the best I have ever seen at any level by a City forward. I remember saying on more than one occasion that no-one would have thought before the season that Morison would be ahead of Holt and he would make Holt look a very ordinary player (as he did over the first half of the season).

With Holt, Morison and Vaughan I feel we have 3 strikers who could make double figures next season

Chris Martin managed 7 goals in 28 games for Palace in the Champs - so naff all chance of 9 in 22 at Prem level.

[quote user="Evesham Canary"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]

Please tell me you are joking!

Is Martin the new Cody for you?

Until Christmas Morison was by a mile our best striker. His performance at home to Swansea was one of the best I have ever seen at any level by a City forward. I remember saying on more than one occasion that no-one would have thought before the season that Morison would be ahead of Holt and he would make Holt look a very ordinary player (as he did over the first half of the season).

With Holt, Morison and Vaughan I feel we have 3 strikers who could make double figures next season

Chris Martin managed 7 goals in 28 games for Palace in the Champs - so naff all chance of 9 in 22 at Prem level.

[/quote]

I''ve been listening to Gingerpele and he has finally convinced me that CM deserves his chance and will prove himself as a better striker than Holt this season.   

[quote user="Sim086"]Jesus christ I really hope this Chris Martin talk is a joke.[/quote]

Sadly for some I think it is all too serious!!

Chrissy has some talent but I don''t think we have the time to find out if he can do it in the prem.

Apart from one season in L1 he has never been a regular scorer. He will only play up front if we play a 4-4-2 system - he could play in the role off a main striker but only if Wes, Snodgrass, Pilks, Howson and Butterfield are unavailable.

I have always been a fan but I just feel our best option is to sell him now and make the supposed £750K that has been mentioned from Burnley & Palace!

[quote user="Evesham Canary"]

[quote user="Sim086"]Jesus christ I really hope this Chris Martin talk is a joke.[/quote]

Chrissy has some talent but I don''t think we have the time to find out if he can do it in the prem.

Apart from one season in L1 he has never been a regular scorer. He will only play up front if we play a 4-4-2 system - he could play in the role off a main striker but only if Wes, Snodgrass, Pilks, Howson and Butterfield are unavailable.

I have always been a fan but I just feel our best option is to sell him now and make the supposed £750K that has been mentioned from Burnley & Palace!

[/quote]

Hughton rates him so that''s something we''ve got to accept.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Evesham Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]  Based on what? Have not seen a lot of him in pre-season

I would not want to see Morison go and believe that we should persevere with Vaughan. I fall in the "antis"camp as far as C. Martin goes, although quite a few seem not to.

However, we have a new manager, by all accounts a good manager, who has his own ideas. Now is not the time to judge IMO. Quite a few of Lambo''s signings seemed risky to me, but they mostly came off.

I, for one, refuse to question or pre-judge CH''s decision making until it is appropriate to do so. It is bound to be a tough task ahead of him and I would think most of us realise this. He should have our unstinting support until or whenever he doesn''t deserve it. I hope that time never comes.

[quote user="Sim086"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Evesham Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]  Based on what? Have not seen a lot of him in pre-season[/quote]

He tried to sign him for Brum, allegedly.

Morison has the heading ability that C Martin lacks.

C Martin has the first touch that Morison lacks.

However, let''s remember Chris Hughton is seeing a lot more of Chris Martin than any of us!

If CH believes he’s got what it takes, I’m more than happy. Providing CM has a couple of defensive midfielders tucked in behind him I think he could be a revelation personally…

Whoever goes and you could perm any one from four, will I am sure be replaced by a player of greater quality and experience.

While I accept CH has faith in Martin and he seemed to have promise in his young days...

At no point in the least couple of years has Martin showed he can bag 9 in 22 (in EPL).

We have to acknowledge a large chunk of morro''s games was on as sub. So rough comparison would be fair.

Norwich - Promotion 30games, 4 goals.

Norwich - Premiership 4games, 0 goals.

Palace - Championship 26games, 7 goals.

Grand Total of 11 goals in 60games.

I would love Martin to come good, but at 23, whilst appreciating he has plenty of years left, comes a point he''s taking up a position in a 25man squad.

I agree.

I guess to be fair to CH by looks, been saving the money to have a good look at the squad and then make the changes.

Maybe we got a surprise up our sleeve... Would love Carroll on loan, just to wind up Wet Spam fans.

Morrison got a lot of stick last season, but we wouldn''t have been that comfortable in the league without his goals. I hope we don''t sell him as I can see him scoring a few more for us.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]nah you make a good point tbh Jacko. I would love to be on the Moro bandwagon but he just does not do it for me. His lack of commitment and teapot play at the tail end ( forgeting the superb goal vs the Arse ) of the season frustraited me no end. Moro''s first touch is undeniably poor. Is this the case or is it lack of concentration at key moments ? Either way, not good enough !

Still Im not one who is gonna just say "I hate him hes crap" and then stick with it if he changes things around. Cast your mind back to when we were in the Championship I used to hate on Jackson and thought him lightweight, scared and not up to it. Then he started attacking defenders and lost his fear. Now Jacko is one of my top players and what I see as an impact / game changing sub if used correctly.

So if Moro can change the attitude and play the way hes shown at times hes capable of then stick him in the starting XI.
[/quote]

No, you just say things like "I''ll pay the taxi fare"

[quote user="paul moy"]Well, the master plan seems to be to sell Morro and Vaughan, two players that I rate.[/quote]

Generally, we don''t sell our good strikers, only the ones who are not quite up to it.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]nah you make a good point tbh Jacko. I would love to be on the Moro bandwagon but he just does not do it for me. His lack of commitment and teapot play at the tail end ( forgeting the superb goal vs the Arse ) of the season frustraited me no end. Moro''s first touch is undeniably poor. Is this the case or is it lack of concentration at key moments ? Either way, not good enough !Still Im not one who is gonna just say "I hate him hes crap" and then stick with it if he changes things around. Cast your mind back to when we were in the Championship I used to hate on Jackson and thought him lightweight, scared and not up to it. Then he started attacking defenders and lost his fear. Now Jacko is one of my top players and what I see as an impact / game changing sub if used correctly. So if Moro can change the attitude and play the way hes shown at times hes capable of then stick him in the starting XI. [/quote]

No, you just say things like "I''ll pay the taxi fare"

[/quote]And people wonder how things are taken out of context. Read the rest of the sentence d1ck head.

I like Morison and his goals last year at the start and end were crucial. He had an injury for the 2nd half of the season too so it''s unfair to criticise really. He plays the solo role up front better than Holt imo as he''s more mobile and started well in that position for us last year. I think a full season uninjured and he''d do another 10-15 goals easy, which would be massive for us. I definitely wouldn''t want him to go unless replaced by quality. I''d rather Jacko went (even though I like him, but I wish he had more composure/awareness and used his pace more efficiently in one-on-ones) or Chrissy went (not sure he''ll get a full whack in the Prem and doesn''t seem to fit as an out-and-out striker)

Would hate for him to leave, though he probably deserves a set of supporters that aren''t on his case every week for the crime of not being Grant Holt.

I think it''s a shame people can''t get behind him really, scored some important goals last season. Wasn''t great in every game, but who was?