Sign in to follow this  
FCC

Mr Hughton - Not the man for us?

Morning. I am not saying Mr Hughton is a bad manager, but in my opinion he is not the manager we needed.

Yesterday was awful, his reaction worse.  I think most of us knew that 4-5-1 was unlikely to work. What I find surprising is his comment that Fulham are technically better. I think he is right - so why did he choose to play 4-5-1? Surely if we aren''t as good on the ball, get it forward quicker. Use the wing, cross, create a chance. Two up-front, knock down, the second striker follows in, chance.  Five in midfield, tippy-tappy football relies on quick accurate passing - not for the technically challenged players.

Dani Ayala, perhaps prone to errors but improving - on the ball techncially good.  Farmed out and replaced by the hapless Turner.  Bennett was better when he came on - getting forward quicker than Snodgrass.  I''m sure others noticed when Fulham had free-kicks and corners Holt came back and no one replaced him.  Even if we won the first header in the box, the ball was going to be re-delivered and not retained - no outlet.

When we won promotion, Billy Davies commented that at Norwich you felt the fans,  players, management, and board were all pulling together for the same thing.  Well, in my opinion Hughton is not a Leader or a fighter, which is what we need.  That unity has already been badly damaged by Mr Hughton and I would use the transfer budget to get rid of him. Bring in a fighter, a leader, a motivator - and someone who would relish the chance to manage a club the size of Norwich.  I can''t imagine how Mr Hughton would impress at interview.

Completely understand the give him time argument, but he learned nothing pre-season.  Players looked unfit and not motivated, tactics woeful.  Given his comments, we can expect nothing from away games at the top 8 form last season - so we are running out of time to change.  Would be interested to know what those asking for more time have seen so far to convince them he is the man for Norwich?

Support yesterday was great, and as I travel alone I am always greatful for the friendliness of fellow supporters, hope people will discuss this post and convince me I am wrong. I am sure Mr Hughton has many assets - but I don''t think he''s the man for us.

PS - Could we please sign a player who is looking forward to playing for Norwich City, and not looking forward to playing in the Premier League!

I hate to break it to you but unless you are born in Norfolk or have family who support Norwich it is very unlikely you are going to be desperate to play for Norwich to the exclusion of all other clubs who come in for you. There are a lot very good clubs out there with very good facilities and strong fanbases in the Championship who would regard themselves as having a very similar standing to Norwich in that regard. I will pluck a couple of names like Leicester, Derby and Wolves just to name but a few. So of course money, prospects and whether you can offer a higher level of football will play a part. It is incredibly naive to think otherwise.

really wiz, i thought you supported him all along.

anyway,i don''t know if the people already calling for hughton to get get sacked are joking or not. He''s had 1 game in charge. This game was the worst performance possible for him as a manager, though to say for him to get the sack is ludicrous.

You can normally tell how we''ll do (in terms of performance) after 8 games. I will reserve judgement until then, i hope many of you will do the same as your embarrassing yourselves by over-reacting to 1 shocker of a performance. (though can understand it if it happens a few more).

My point has always been that a manager needs to be respected and even feared by his players, and Lambert had both qualities plus was a proven winner at the highest level.  Hughton''s softly softly arm round the shoulder, "do your best lads" approach is simply not going to work in the era of spoiled millionaires with every material possession on tap and an agent ready to parachute them into another club if relegation happens.  I recall a few years ago talk of the "Costa Del Colney" where it was a nice old life, you could jog around every morning, try a few free kicks and then spend the afternoon playing on your X-Box or sleeping with other player''s wives.  It looks to me that under Hughton, we''re heading back to the nice cosy "don''t try too hard lads, you might get injured" mentality.

As my old American buddy used to say, "nice guys finish last".  We need a Ron Saunders, an Archie McCauley, a Dave Stringer to hammer the players into mental and physical shape.  The iron fist in the velvet glove, not some papier maché nice guy who''ll have all the excuses under the sun but no positive contribution on the training ground.

McNally will sort this out as Hughton is as much his appointment as Lambert was.  With McNally''s Fulham history he will be hurting and seething today and Bor believes you may see a very different game on Saturday as a result.

Weve got to give him time havent we? But what worries me is the similarity to our last opening day mauling under Gunn.

That day the players looked unfit, unmotivated and desperately unprepared.

If you lost 5-0 in your first game when your game plan and entire pre season was to play defensive and keep it tight you have failed catastrophically. Unfortunately its looking like this could be a match made in hell. I wasnt sure what style of football Hughtons teams played, i knew after the Borussia game thats for sure and i didnt like what i saw.

We said last week at the BM game if we set out with these tactics, if this was premier league it would 3/4-0. Sadly I was wrong, it was worse!

Im really struggling to see how a professional manager can be so blind. Im no football manager but I knew exactly the problems after watching the Borussia game and my fears were realised yesterday. How can a man, experienced and paid a lot of money to make these decisions, not see or realise what I saw and thought last week?

He may turn it around, and I hope he does, he was adored by both Newcastle and Birmingham players and supporters, he definitely has the pedigree so it''s weird and upsetting what''s gone on in the last 24 hours.  What''s changed that worked at the other two clubs? I''d imagine Newcastle and Birmingham fans reading this would be extremely shocked and puzzled.If the worst happened however and nothing changes, I''d like someone like Holloway (personal preference) he was my choice before any managers names were even put out there once Lambert left, as I considered it the best like for like we can do, as I don''t think there is another Lambert out there, not one we can afford anyway!  It''s pretty obvious the fans don''t like negative/defensive tactics, whether you like it or not reading 2 to 3 pages of this forum kind of proves that.  He is slightly gun ho but at least no-one could moan we wouldn''t give it a go, plus (which most have mentioned in the last 24 hours) we''d go back to having no fear of the big teams once again. Only the brave survive this cruel division.  Blackpool only went down on the last day of the season with possibly the weakest team to ever compete in the premier league due to their financial constraints, he made some of his average players play out of their skin

[quote user="mrs miggins"]

anyway,i don''t know if the people already calling for hughton to get get sacked are joking or not. He''s had 1 game in charge. This game was the worst performance possible for him as a manager, though to say for him to get the sack is ludicrous.

You can normally tell how we''ll do (in terms of performance) after 8 games. I will reserve judgement until then, i hope many of you will do the same as your embarrassing yourselves by over-reacting to 1 shocker of a performance. (though can understand it if it happens a few more).

[/quote]

If we persist with him for 8 more games it''ll be too late my man

[quote user="mrs miggins"]

[/quote]

The point is tho its not just one performance, this is a continuance from pre season, and pre season form and tactics that had me very worried. Its obvious this is Hughtons tactics and this is how he wants the team to play, and this is how we will continue to play.

The Borussia game was appalling but everyone wrote it off as just a pre season friendly. Well our fears were not unfounded. We played exactly the same yesterday and got what we deserved.

I dont know where Hughton goes from here because if he changes nothing and continues with the tactics and pre season work of negative, defensive, tight style of play we are doomed. He seriously needs to completely abandon what he''s told the players so far and go back to the attacking style. But his would be an admittance of he got it wrong and what effect would that have on the players confidence in him?

I really cant see him ditching his beliefs in the negative, defensive style of play and this spells one thing. LLLLLL and relegation form.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]So the OP wants the manager out after one game.This is a joke right ?[:@][/quote]

This is a serious situation already.   It makes next Saturday''s game critical.   It was always going to be a hard season but we already appear to have shot ourselves in both feet.     If we do not get a reaction and are heavily beaten next week - who will stand up for Hughton then?    It may not be right to think that he should go after one game, but if we get a repeat performance??   The writing could be on the wall......

A number of posters on here have pointed to the scale of the challenge faced by Hughton and often got roundly criticised for their negativity.

Lambert was an exceptional manager and motivator. He built his team. A fearless team. A team with exceptions I can count on one hand always turned up to matches. We knew the weaknesses of the Lambert team - but lack of spirit wasn''t one of them.

The tactics were wrong yesterday. Belief seemed absent. Creativity was lacking. For the first time walking away from an away match for several years there was that deja vue of City just not being competitive in this league.

Lambert made an average group of players - in premier league quality terms - play exceptional football week in week out. Hughton has to change tactics - two up front against QPR is a must - and engender belief. The premier league is unforgiving. I remember being amused by Ipswich''s second season in the premier when they simply couldn''t score after a season when I think they were top 6 the season before. QPR is a vital game.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]So the OP wants the manager out after one game.This is a joke right ?[:@][/quote]

Why Til? Gunns head rolled after 1 game, why not this joker too?

Everyone is entitled to make mistakes. The good manager is the one who realises and changes. It seems that he realised that he had made a mistake yesterday, because he brought on Morrison and pushed Snoddy to the wing, where he operates to greater effect.

The big test is whether he will attempt a more passing game involving the midfield. I was slightly concerned when I saw the types of attacking revealed in the early days pre-season - long passes by-passing the midfield and sent by the fullback down the wings. (We used Vaughan then, the only one quick enough to feed on them.) I was impressed  twith the "new" defensive policy revealed - two lines of four - it looked good, and restricted opponents mainly to long-range efforts.

The problem with the two lines of four is that the midfield is the front line of four. They are back on their heels, and in our case not quick enough to mount an attack, so it implies long balls to the one plus one up front. Often yesterday, Snoddy was filling a defensive role as well, leaving Holt completely isolated. Howson had a quiet game, to put it kindly, but he was regulerly in defence

Our side lacks pace - of the three quickest, Bennett E, Vaughan and Barnett, only one started yesterday, and he was replaced. Yesterday it seemed to lack commitment as well.

Last season we played an attacking game, this year apparently a defensive one. Last year our players got forward and attacked, even if they risked conceding.  Didn''t someone say, "Attack is the best means of defence"?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Wiz"]I wanted Hughton out......before he got in![/quote]

Because he''s black?

[/quote]

Pr*t

Thats all you deserve for that accusation.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Wiz"]I wanted Hughton out......before he got in![/quote]

Because he''s black?

[/quote]

You know he doesn''t mean that. He wanted Holloway, the same as me before he arrived. Once he arrived we thought we had to give him a chance. If we had had a game yesterday of some hope and correct attitude then we would not be expressing these feelings. I feel no hope with Hughton after that performance and so does Wiz and many others. Everybody wants to turn fair criticism into racism nowadays... thanks Blair!!!.

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"][quote user="Wiz"]I wanted Hughton out......before he got in![/quote]

You were against Lambert when he first joined...

you moronic creature.
[/quote]

Err wrong...........I was one the few who wanted him after we lost out on Tilson.

Do your homework on me......sonny.

Steady on people! We are not he sort of club to even consider sacking a manager after one,admittedly,dreadful performance. I was there yesterday and am very sad and disappointed today, who knows what caused that to happen, none of us know what things are like''behind the scenes'' we need to stick with the manager and players and hope it was just a bad day. We have two weeks to address the deficiencies with the squad and let''s hope that can be done.

On a personal note I want to see some support for our strikers, so 4 4 2 for me, and I was delighted when our captain signed his new deal but having got what he wanted and accepting he is a poor trainer, is it too much to ask to turn up for the first match fit and looking interested?

I will be there on Saturday and 100% behind the manager and team, I will have my fingers crossed though.

"That`s why I didn`t cheer after the third goal. It`s a professional game, I love to win 5-0 but not against him.""He did an unbelievable job with me, a fantastic job at Newcastle and Birmingham and I am 100 per cent certain he will do the business."Martin Jol or Wiz? Who has the most appropriate response to yesterdays match?  No contest!! One is a decent, football man, with first hand knowledge of CH and the other is Wiz.

[quote user="Jack Flash"]"That`s why I didn`t cheer after the third goal. It`s a professional game, I love to win 5-0 but not against him."

"He did an unbelievable job with me, a fantastic job at Newcastle and Birmingham and I am 100 per cent certain he will do the business."

Martin Jol or Wiz? Who has the most appropriate response to yesterdays match?  No contest!! One is a decent, football man, with first hand knowledge of CH and the other is Wiz.[/quote]

Ah, so that''s sorted then.  

[quote user="Wiz"]

Why Til? Gunns head rolled after 1 game, why not this joker too?

[/quote]

Joker? How could anyone possibly come to that conclusion this quickly? I will admit Hughton was not one of my choices for the hallowed job but there is no way they are going to sack him. Like it or not the people that matter are firmly behind him, even if we do go down I reckon.

That''s an interesting criticism of Holt soixante. How did you expect him to contribute any more than he did.

Back defending corners and not being able to receive his own pass on the half way line?

This new coaching staff has successfully nullified Holt Snodgrass etc and then gave Wes a liitle run out late in the game. Unbelievably poor man management. The big question for the next couple of games for me is, do these players believe in this coaching staff

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"][quote user="Wiz"]I wanted Hughton out......before he got in![/quote]

You were against Lambert when he first joined...

you moronic creature.
[/quote]

Err wrong...........I was one the few who wanted him after we lost out on Tilson.

Do your homework on me......sonny.

[/quote]

If we lost out who did we lose out to Wiz?

A ridiculous question to ask at this early stage!

Yes its obvious playing 1 upfront doesn''t work for us but Hughton found this our for himself hence the reason he changed things around at half teim and brought on Steve Morison!

I agrre with the majority of that op.What i find most baffling is when Mr hughton was appointed he made the ponit of thrying to carry on the good work that Lambert had done over the last 3 years and in a sence the job was a case of it it ain''t broke, dont fix it. He came in to this job not as Lambert had done 3 years ago where the previous manager had been sacked and the playing staff and whole ethos of the club needed a complete overahall, but to a job where all the foundations had been layed by Lambert and the previous regime. So why oh why has houghton tryed to completly change the formation and metality?. Last season we had the 2nd least possesion in the whole league (after Stoke) and the 4th or 5th worst defensive record in the league. Proving that we where not adept at defending or playing as possesions based slow build up game like Swansea or Wigan. what we did do well was play a quick direct game with with, we put in the most crosses into the box of any prem team last year and scored the most headed goals and ended up the season scoring 47 goals the same as Everton in 7th. So why on earth is Hughton now trying to play a completly diffrent was? Did he not watch any of the DVD''s from last season? For the record i don''t think Hughton is a bad manger at all but does he fit are style? Swansea made a smart appointment in Laudrup, a manger who has the same philosiphy as Rodgers, Souza and Martinez. They didn''t go for Pulis or Allardyce did they! Maby we need to cut our losses if we loose to QPR and appoint a manager who how tio get the best out of the squad of players we have. We will finish bottom imo if we continue with the 4-2-3-1 shaped possesion/slow passing build up mentality.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Wiz"]I wanted Hughton out......before he got in![/quote]Because he''s black?[/quote]certainly not aimed at Wiz but I have a feeling that''s why a lot of the moaners haven''t taken to hughton.. this is backwards Norfolk at its finest....Like i said, I dont think this is the reason with Wiz.. but there are a few people who will not be in hughtons corner because of the above.. he could win us everything going and they would still hold it against him

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Wiz"]I wanted Hughton out......before he got in![/quote]Because he''s black?[/quote]certainly not aimed at Wiz but I have a feeling that''s why a lot of the moaners haven''t taken to hughton.. this is backwards Norfolk at its finest....Like i said, I dont think this is the reason with Wiz.. but there are a few people who will not be in hughtons corner because of the above.. he could win us everything going and they would still hold it against him[/quote]Possibly this may be correct.  I was merely enquiring re: Wiz, and I notice Wiz didn''t answer the question - which tells me a lot about his true intentions.