Sign in to follow this  
Jack Barak

Watching Ireland

Does anyone think that Lambert might be coming back for a player but it isn''t Holt and could instead be Ruddy? Given has had a poor year and does not look good at the Euro''s, I can''t imagine Lambert is sitting there thinking it is a secure position for Villa.

I did wonder about how many more years Given has as no1 - it is odd how he was welcoming Lambert as manager, but he may be the anger who gets rid.

Also, Ruddy won''t be on huge wages as we signed him in the Champ and as a goalkeeper he would not command the sort of fee we would probably want. I''m more concerned about this than Holt to be honest, JR could become a real legend if he continues to develop the way he has so far.

Lambert can try to come back for him............but he cost us £250k?, two years and a call up to an England international tournament squad later, he''d better come with a cheque for £4m??, infact stick another £2m on top of that to recoup some the the compensation Villa have apparantly robbed us.

The board WILL NOT let Ruddy go at the moment and i think he knows how well he can develop here.

As for the fee, give it a couple more years and more England call ups and you''re nearer 10+m.

Call me naive but I don''t believe Ruddy would want to leave. He has said that before he joined Norwich, he was so fed up with not being settled at one particular club that he considered giving it all up; whereas now he is enjoying his football here, has a settled wife and kids and is not far away from his home town and family either, life couldn''t be better.

I agree with you alysha, really feel Ruddy is settled and what not, already said he''s really looking forward to working with Hughton, also one of the few City players NOT to tweet anything about Lambert leaving.

Remember when we gt promoted to the Premiership and some people were questioning whether Ruddy was good enough for this level? Now we''re saying he could replace Shay Given, one of the best keepers of the Premier League era. Ruddy has got great potential, whilst he may not be Englands'' number 1, he is an excellent back up and will provide good competition for Hart. I could easily see Lambert trying to sign him, problem is, I don''t think Ruddy''s willing to leave.

Put your money on Fraser Forster to AV.  I said it after Eire''s first match and believe it even more now. If however Ruddy did go I would settle for FF as a replacement.  

Trappatoni made the wrong decision not to take Wes - Ireland look very one dimensional and Ward is cr*p - no wonder Wolves went down!

Ireland come across as the competition''s worst.

Even Wes couldn''t have saved that lot. He could well have got stamped on as well.

He got out of prison there and has probably been sunning himself on Sheringham beach to boot.

[quote user="alysha"]Call me naive but I don''t believe Ruddy would want to leave. He has said that before he joined Norwich, he was so fed up with not being settled at one particular club that he considered giving it all up; whereas now he is enjoying his football here, has a settled wife and kids and is not far away from his home town and family either, life couldn''t be better.[/quote]

I think it''s unlikely that he''ll leave too, but didn''t we say stuff like this about GH as well?

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Even Wes couldn''t have saved that lot. He could well have got stamped on as well.

He got out of prison there and has probably been sunning himself on Sheringham beach to boot.

[/quote]

How the hell did Ireland get to the last sixteen? Were they in a qualifying group that included the Pharoe Islands, San Marino & Luxembourg? [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

[quote user="paul moy"]Put your money on Fraser Forster to AV.  I said it after Eire''s first match and believe it even more now. If however Ruddy did go I would settle for FF as a replacement.  [/quote]

Where can I get odds?

I''d hope he does go to Villa, he''s a long way from the finished article and, in my opinion, has a lot to learn before he''s anywhere near to being a regular starter in the Premier league.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[/quote]

How the hell did Ireland get to the last sixteen? Were they in a qualifying group that included the Pharoe Islands, San Marino & Luxembourg? [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img] [/quote]

It makes UEFA''s decision to expand the next European Championship from 16 teams to 24 all the more questionable when you see a poor side like Ireland in it!.  With there being only 52 countries in Europe (+plus hosts France) , it will almost be harder ''not'' to qualify?.

This can only reduce the overall quality of the competition??

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[/quote]

How the hell did Ireland get to the last sixteen? Were they in a qualifying group that included the Pharoe Islands, San Marino & Luxembourg? [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img] [/quote]

It makes UEFA''s decision to expand the next European Championship from 16 teams to 24 all the more questionable when you see a poor side like Ireland in it!.  With there being only 52 countries in Europe (+plus hosts France) , it will almost be harder ''not'' to qualify?.

[/quote]

You''re right, GJL, the quality of the World Cup also suffered through additional qualifying nations.

Maybe if Lambert is after a replacement for Given, which I very much doubt, then perhaps having a bigger transfer budget he will target another goalkeeper. Has Lambert not recently stated that Fraser Forster was his first choice, but we could not afford to keep him upon our promotion to the Championship?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[/quote]

How the hell did Ireland get to the last sixteen? Were they in a qualifying group that included the Pharoe Islands, San Marino & Luxembourg? [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]
[/quote]

[/quote]

They finished second, ahead of Armenia, Slovenia (who are not bad), Macedonia and Andorra. And they got luckier still, by drawing Estonia, the weakest team, in the play-offs. And some good teams didn''t qualify, such as Serbia, Turkey and Romania. I wonder why the increase isn''t to 20 teams (with four groups of five producing eight quarter-finalists) rather than 24, but there may be a good logistical reason.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Perhaps the idea is to cut down on qualification matches which constantly interfere with League schedules. It would also increase the chances of Wales, Scotland and NI taking part. Surely a good thing ?  

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Perhaps the idea is to cut down on qualification matches which constantly interfere with League schedules. It would also increase the chances of Wales, Scotland and NI taking part. Surely a good thing ?  

[/quote]

to see more one-sided matches like tonight?.....no

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

Irish fans are superb, signing their hearts out at 4-0 down, in a "sport" dominated by money and greed it is great to see this side of football...

[/quote]

Well, yay & nay, SoB - it is quite heart-warming to see people singing in the face of extreme adversity, but I can''t help looking at the sheer numbers of Irish fans without thinking politically - why has the English taxpayer bailed out Ireland to the tune of 7 billion quid sterling when all those fans can afford to spectate this expensive event? It''s the same with the Spanish with their bail out of 100 billion which again the English taxpayer contributes millions to via the IMF.And do you think the Irish will be wishing us good will when we meet Sweden tomorrow? Like the rest of Europe, they bleedin'' hate us mate.

Fraser Forster is available for £2mill if reports are to be believed and the deal that is in place for a move to Celtic but wages are an issue

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2157960/Fraser-Forsters-Celtic-future-doubt.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

So would Lambert want to pay £4-6mill for Ruddy, as a minimum or £2mill for Forster, also I think Villa need some serious strengthening in others areas, mainly GOALSCORERS

I think alysha has got it spot on about Ruddy anyway

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

to see more one-sided matches like tonight?.....no

[/quote]

Well, I enjoyed it and I bet Torres did !! Tonight though was probably the biggest differential you could get, to be fair.  

remember too that whilst we''re spending money to watch our own clubs sides in England every week home and away during the season, the Irish have all year to save up for such competitions ,whilst supporting Man United,Liverpool and Celtic from afar in the comfort of their own pubs.