Sign in to follow this  
Stowmarket Canary (not Delia)

David McNally doesn't suffer fools lightly!

Honestly, could we have a harder s.o.b running our football club? Just looking at him, he looks like a young Victor Meldrew! Norwich in the days of Doncaster would have just accepted Lamberts resignation, leaving us totally high and dry. He would''ve accepted probably anything Holts agent would''ve asked for. Its reassuring to know we have someone at the top who is willing to say no!!!! He totally looks out for te clubs interests and you know under his stewardship our club is in safe hands!

Marvellous is our McNasty.

I felt down in the dumps until watching him this pm.

We are in good hands and I love the way he bigs up NCFC. That poor useless Sky reporter Ha! Where the f did they get him from.

Actually all our Chief Exec is doing is what any proper business man would do backed up by our chairman of course.

I think while we have got David McNally & Bowkett at the club we will have our best chance of continued success on & off the pitch, we will have to see who they serve up as our next manager, but this combo are ''big men'' who are not affraid of making ''big decisions'' (I.E. Gunny & near adminstration)OTBC

Talk about not suffering fools lightly - Just listened to Lee Payne on Radio Norfolk - now there''s a case in point.   Can just imagine the scene with Lee Payne versus David McNally.  It would be like a naughty schoolboy going in to see a scary headmaster at school.      As has been said alot recently - what a c*ck up!       Grant  Holt - hero, legend trusts his future to this agent  who doesn''t appear to have the intelligence to understand the basics of how a football club is run - and has in all honesty probably spoilt  our best player''s career here.   But he''s supposed to do the opposite.   How is it an agent can hold a player''s career and a football club to ransom??    Because he''s in it for the money. Commision.  He''s in it for himself. That''s what agents are.  At best a middle man, at worst a fool who messes things up.    A fool.   As the title of this thread says....................

reading what hotss agent said what i love is this bit... Agent, "When I told CEO Holt would hand in transfer, his reply was, I won''t lose any sleep over it"..

when he says CEO does he mean McNasty! if so truly amazing!

David McNally is clearly a strong character, ruthless even, but our strongest qualities are often our biggest faults.

I have only spoken to people who have met McNally and witnessed him through the media but he appears to me to be the kind of operator who, perhaps unintentianally, fails to leave his opponents any room for manoevre thus causing the cornered animal situation.

Witness Swansea and their dealings with Liverpool. They saw the inevitable and worked with the situation to garner the best deal and, crucially, an early resolution.

Witness Dave Whelan allowing Martinez to go see and make his own mind up.

Paul Lambert wanted what the above managers got and was treated like a child, he either faced backing down and being humiliated or else doing what he did. It may be he doesn''t like what he hears at Villa but it is too late, there is no room for honour intact, he would have to come back with his tail between his legs and seriously diminished.

Grant Holt is a wonderful footballer with a massive football intellect but beyond that he isnt the sharpest tool in the box. He has also allowed his success to go to his head and it has been noticable for months that his team mates do not show the same esteem to him on the pitch as they once did, he has even celebrated goals alone. The classic example for me was the Wolves home game when Wheelie got all the plaudits from his team-mates while Holt was pointing at his own name on his shirt. Holt is clearly a family man first and foremost and is looking for security, however, the way he has been handled has caused him to self-inflict.

We have gone from being overly sentimental in our managing to overly ruthless. 

I can accept Paul Lambert wanting to move on and thank him for his service to my Club. He deserves respect and appreciation. In losing him Norwich City deserve good compensation and a prompt resolution.

I cannot accept Holt wanting to leave in as much as he has been allowed to go off on a self-destruct tangent. Holt was clearly only keeping it all in check because he hoped to win an England place. He has been a pillar of our success though and should have been better managed. Again, he is now in a situation where he cannot avoid losing face because of McNally''s hard line.

McNally along with Holt, Lambert and others has been a key individual in taking this Club where it is today, he has given the Club teeth but it might be time for Delia to slip his muzzle on.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Talk about not suffering fools lightly - Just listened to Lee Payne on Radio Norfolk - now there''s a case in point.   Can just imagine the scene with Lee Payne versus David McNally.  It would be like a naughty schoolboy going in to see a scary headmaster at school.      As has been said alot recently - what a c*ck up!       Grant  Holt - hero, legend trusts his future to this agent  who doesn''t appear to have the intelligence to understand the basics of how a football club is run - and has in all honesty probably spoilt  our best player''s career here.   But he''s supposed to do the opposite.   How is it an agent can hold a player''s career and a football club to ransom??    Because he''s in it for the money. Commision.  He''s in it for himself. That''s what agents are.  At best a middle man, at worst a fool who messes things up.    A fool.   As the title of this thread says....................

[/quote]

That''s easy. Because the player allows it to happen. I remember a certain DH very quickly putting his agent in his place. It saddens me to say that, unfortunately, GH hasn''t got enough between his ears to act a similar way. A case of the wheel turning but the hamster being dead. 

I''d say neccesarily ruthless rather than over ruthless Rude old boy, as you say it''s been some months since a divide appeared not with us but within the team and any coincidence Moros attitude plummeted at around the same time? We''ve been a cuddly fluffy club for far too long now some tough love is needed and it appears for the first time in years we have people in position to administer such love.

I agree totally rude in fact I posted much the same on another NCFC forum a few minutes ago ! I think McNally probably reads the boards from time to time and enjoys what is said about him as we all like our ''ego''s caressed'' now and again. Why do you think they have a ''good cop, bad cop'' scenario - cause it wouldn''t work with a ''bad cop, worse cop'' one ! The Holt situation is a complete f*ck up and no one comes out of it well, and who are we going to get who will score his goals next year ? In a year''s time we will know if the tactics worked but I fear by then it will too late.

People keep saying they want to shrug off this ''little old Norwich'' attitude to us, well McNally whether you like his more aggressive approach or not is doing what needs to be done.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]People keep saying they want to shrug off this ''little old Norwich'' attitude to us, well McNally whether you like his more aggressive approach or not is doing what needs to be done.[/quote]

Hear hear!! can''t have it both ways. Those in doubt refer to my "If doomcaster was still CEO..." thread posted earlier.

[quote user="Paul and Grant Hughes"]Those in doubt refer to my "If doomcaster was still CEO..." thread posted earlier.[/quote]

Which appears to have been 100% moderated just like so many others.

Still for those wondering the jist of it was:"If doomcaster was still CEO..."Would Villa have had the audacity to approach Burnley for the services of Paul Lambert like this??Gedditt????

[quote user="Paul and Grant Hughes"]Those in doubt refer to my "If doomcaster was still CEO..." thread posted earlier.[/quote]

Which appears to have been 100% moderated just like so many others.

Still for those wondering the jist of it was:"If doomcaster was still CEO..."Would Villa have had the audacity to approach Burnley for the services of Paul Lambert like this??Gedditt????

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

David McNally is clearly a strong character, ruthless even, but our strongest qualities are often our biggest faults.

I have only spoken to people who have met McNally and witnessed him through the media but he appears to me to be the kind of operator who, perhaps unintentianally, fails to leave his opponents any room for manoevre thus causing the cornered animal situation.

Witness Swansea and their dealings with Liverpool. They saw the inevitable and worked with the situation to garner the best deal and, crucially, an early resolution.

Paul Lambert wanted what the above managers got and was treated like a child, he either faced backing down and being humiliated or else doing what he did. It may be he doesn''t like what he hears at Villa but it is too late, there is no room for honour intact, he would have to come back with his tail between his legs and seriously diminished.

Grant Holt is a wonderful footballer with a massive football intellect but beyond that he isnt the sharpest tool in the box. He has also allowed his success to go to his head and it has been noticable for months that his team mates do not show the same esteem to him on the pitch as they once did, he has even celebrated goals alone. The classic example for me was the Wolves home game when Wheelie got all the plaudits from his team-mates while Holt was pointing at his own name on his shirt. Holt is clearly a family man first and foremost and is looking for security, however, the way he has been handled has caused him to self-inflict.

I can accept Paul Lambert wanting to move on and thank him for his service to my Club. He deserves respect and appreciation. In losing him Norwich City deserve good compensation and a prompt resolution.

I cannot accept Holt wanting to leave in as much as he has been allowed to go off on a self-destruct tangent. Holt was clearly only keeping it all in check because he hoped to win an England place. He has been a pillar of our success though and should have been better managed. Again, he is now in a situation where he cannot avoid losing face because of McNally''s hard line.

McNally along with Holt, Lambert and others has been a key individual in taking this Club where it is today, he has given the Club teeth but it might be time for Delia to slip his muzzle on.

[/quote]Well written Sir...and absolutley spot on. I wouldn''t swap McNally for anyone, his ruthless streak got us Lambert in the first place. He has been the unsung hero of the last three years, but I also suspect he is not very diplomatic at times. Tone and how things are said are crucial sometimes.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

[/quote]

Rudolph, it was noticeable that very soon after joining the club Bowkett and Mcnally both used the word "ruthless" to describe how they would act. Plainly they had perceived a lack of ruthlessness in the old regime (I think they had at least partly a case) and were determined to be the polar opposite. For it to be their default position. Hence this apposite quote from Bowkett:

“I think we may have been viewed as a soft touch by other clubs and agents. While remaining fair and balanced we will be quite ruthless in our pursuit for success for Norwich. We have made and will continue to make the tough decisions that need to be made in the best interests of the football club.”

W
hether your view on Lambertgate and Holtgate is right - that Bowkett and McNally have been too ruthless - I don''t know, because it is not at all clear what has really been going. Bluntly, you cannot rely on the public statements of anyone in football to give a true picture. We may never know enough to judge.

But the default Bowkett and McNally ruthlessness that could cost us dearly is the Colchester compensation case, which was mishandled from start to finish. So much so there was a rare admission of error afterwards from McNally.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]People keep saying they want to shrug off this ''little old Norwich'' attitude to us, well McNally whether you like his more aggressive approach or not is doing what needs to be done.[/quote]Too right. I''d rather have McNally and his hard nose approach than the soft touch set up in the past. MacNally may make a mistake or two but hey name one CE who hasn''t.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

[/quote]

Rudolph, it was noticeable that very soon after joining the club Bowkett and Mcnally both used the word "ruthless" to describe how they would act. Plainly they had perceived a lack of ruthlessness in the old regime (I think they had at least partly a case) and were determined to be the polar opposite. For it to be their default position. Hence this apposite quote from Bowkett:“I think we may have been viewed as a soft touch by other clubs and agents. While remaining fair and balanced we will be quite ruthless in our pursuit for success for Norwich. We have made and will continue to make the tough decisions that need to be made in the best interests of the football club.”Whether your view on Lambertgate and Holtgate is right - that Bowkett and McNally have been too ruthless - I don''t know, because it is not at all clear what has really been going. Bluntly, you cannot rely on the public statements of anyone in football to give a true picture. We may never know enough to judge.But the default Bowkett and McNally ruthlessness that could cost us dearly is the Colchester compensation case, which was mishandled from start to finish. So much so there was a rare admission of error afterwards from McNally.

[/quote]Now I''m worried Purple.

Its about time we had someone at this club playing hardball. For years we''ve had too many ''yes men'' who back down when players throw their toys out!!

I would be much more worried if we lost Mcnally than Lambo to be honest.  Lambo was always destined for greater things I can accept that but we and the club will always be here.  We need a rock to stear us and in McNally I genuinley feel we have that rock.

Long may it continue and Delia and Co should do all they can to ensure he is around for many years to come.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

[/quote]

Rudolph, it was noticeable that very soon after joining the club Bowkett and Mcnally both used the word "ruthless" to describe how they would act. Plainly they had perceived a lack of ruthlessness in the old regime (I think they had at least partly a case) and were determined to be the polar opposite. For it to be their default position. Hence this apposite quote from Bowkett:“I think we may have been viewed as a soft touch by other clubs and agents. While remaining fair and balanced we will be quite ruthless in our pursuit for success for Norwich. We have made and will continue to make the tough decisions that need to be made in the best interests of the football club.”Whether your view on Lambertgate and Holtgate is right - that Bowkett and McNally have been too ruthless - I don''t know, because it is not at all clear what has really been going. Bluntly, you cannot rely on the public statements of anyone in football to give a true picture. We may never know enough to judge.But the default Bowkett and McNally ruthlessness that could cost us dearly is the Colchester compensation case, which was mishandled from start to finish. So much so there was a rare admission of error afterwards from McNally.

[/quote]

It is possible that there is a grain of truth in what is being said here, I firmly believe that the authoritative hard line approach that Mcnally brought to the club was well overdue and it has had a remarkable effect on our fortunes. For my money he is a strong CEO who has an excellent business brain and also most importantly understands the business he is in and how to make it successful. The question is whether he has the flexibilty to adapt his management style to accommodate the changing characters and ego`s that he may be now dealing with. Only time will tell on that one cos up untill now I think players and managers have been prepared to tow the line and have just been greatfull for our success. Now of course, with our success, ego`s will start to grow and agents will be pushing players into negotiating positions that previously they wouldn`t have even thought about. I suppose it`s the difference between running a family club to running a Premiership one. My gut feeling is that Mcnally is not a one trick pony and he will have the skills to manage sucessfully as the club changes, he may himself learn from what has happened recently and wonder if things could have been done differently, we will just have to wait and see.