Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Why are we called the canaries?

Because we play in yellow ;)

No seriously, its on wikipedia, something to do with Norwich importing them or something?

I was thinking this, we could do with some more depth on the flanks, 2 full backs and 2 wingers. Maybe a striker of real quality. And I could see there being one more 1

I refer you to page 217 of The Language of the Genes by Steve Jones. Here the professor discusses the genetics and spread across Europe of the disease Falciparum malaria. I quote..." The disease spread over the whole world...it was once common in East Anglia . Norwich City football team wear yellow jerseys because the local population were once called " yellow-bellies " after the jaundice caused by chronic malaria ". I understand Professor Jones , of University College London , is also a City fan.

As far as I can recall it’s something to do the Dutch during the 16th century bring canaries with them to Norfolk

People from Norwich began rearing them and Canary breeding became a popular hobby .One of the early Norwich managers kept them as a hobby and started calling his team canaries.

The name stuck !

Yeah, the colours actually came after the nickname. I''m sure I''ve read before that football teams were often nicknamed after small birds - like robins or magpies - as it imbued characteristics of swiftness and being nimble around the field

[quote user="CharlieFarlie"]

As far as I can recall it’s something to do the Dutch during the 16th century bring canaries with them to Norfolk

People from Norwich began rearing them and Canary breeding became a popular hobby .One of the early Norwich managers kept them as a hobby and started calling his team canaries.

The name stuck !

[/quote]

It''s also said that the wife of the said manager made the comment that "you have that team running round like your Canaries", I''m sure I read that in one of the football history books.

Interesting to note that Ipswich got their badge from a comptetion in 1972. That''s a bit sad!

What does a carthorse imbue? Slow and does sh!t?

As others have said its to do with Dutch immigrants breeding canaries in Norfolk, John Bowman the manager in question in 1905 (i think) did say he had heard of the canaries (when asked about becoming manager) this was the first report in the press of the name. 

As it wasn''t the clubs nickname at the time you would imagine once called it in the press it stuck more and got better known then being called Citizens or Cits at the time.

And yes as others have said the name came before we played in yellow and green, was light blue and white halves at the time.

Think i''ve got my facts right but i stand to be corrected if im out at all

footbal club nicknames are fascinating to research.Exeter are the Grecians as the city used to have an ancient Greek settlement on the site of St James Park.Charlton are the addicks due to a well known 19th century fishmonger who worked in Greenwich.. dues to his accent "Haddock" became "Addick"always wondered why Lincoln are called the Imps...

I''ve a mate whos a Bolton fan, there are a few stories about how it came about.  One was that it was similar to Wanderers for travelling a lot, another that trotter is the local Bolton term for a prankster and thirdy that an old ground backed onto a pig farm!!

[quote user="marvin the martian"]What about Bolton''s trotters then ?[/quote]boiled pig trotters are a northern "delicacy".. the name comes from this!http://www.footynicknames.co.uk/Bolton_Wanderers

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]footbal club nicknames are fascinating to research.

Exeter are the Grecians as the city used to have an ancient Greek settlement on the site of St James Park.

Charlton are the addicks due to a well known 19th century fishmonger who worked in Greenwich.. dues to his accent "Haddock" became "Addick"

always wondered why Lincoln are called the Imps...
[/quote]

Lincoln Cathedral has a legend of an imp who stubs his toe or something and was turned into rock. I believe there is still a gargoyle of the Lincoln Imp in Lincoln Cathedral. He also appears on the Lincolnshire county signs and anyone from Lincolnshire can use the gargoyle to ward off bad spirits. It''d be a bit like us being called ''the shucks''

Here''s the explanation from  http://www.footballbadgesguide.com 

"The city of Norwich had long connections with canaries owing to its 15th and 16th century links to Flemish weavers who had imported the birds to the Low Countries from the Dutch colonies in the Caribbean. A simple canary badge was first adopted in 1922."

Interesting thread have to admit i never knew the exact reason for the name the canaries.On another note, i hear Brazil wear yellow to play more like Norwich ;-)

Tut tut, 123. You should get out more... and down to Strangers Hall museum! which will hopefully confirm the birdy connection with the land of phlegm

my lil'' 10 penneth.

Brazil legend Garrincha was nicknamed "the little bird" when he used to run around in the yellow shirt...so maybe it is a link to us! ;0)

...and on the Dutch/Flemish weavers thing, I heard that a third of the population of Norwich at the time were immigrants...can you imagine if the had the daily mail back then!?

...and the Charlton "''Addicks" thing is half right Jas...It was the fisherman mispronouncing Haddock, but he used to walk around the pitch at half time shouting "Addick" showing off the biggest fish in his shop that week that was the prize in the raffle...much to the amusement of the non-cockney away fans who named Charlton just that!

(I too ave troubles wiv mi aitches ese days) ;0)

[quote user="The Pinkun Role Model"][quote user="curnster"]Binners comes from Lovejoy I believe?[/quote]

We need a little more information for the full 10 pts.[:)]
[/quote]

I stumbled across this the other week.Look out for Warren Clarke about 1.50 in.

http://youtu.be/JqgKngZ7zwM

There are many types of Canary of which the ''Norwich Canary'' is one of the oldest. It had the nickname ''John Bull'' because of its stout appearance.

Flemish weavers were artisans no doubt attracted to England by the prosperous wool trade - hence our numerous churches which were spawned from wealth. These weavers apparently bred canaries. It''s a shame they didn''t breed Robin Van Persie''s.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]There are many types of Canary of which the ''Norwich Canary'' is one of the oldest. It had the nickname ''John Bull'' because of its stout appearance. Flemish weavers were artisans no doubt attracted to England by the prosperous wool trade - hence our numerous churches which were spawned from wealth. These weavers apparently bred canaries. It''s a shame they didn''t breed Robin Van Persie''s.[/quote]

Partly, probably. But some of them were Huguenots (Protestants) who were persecuted by catholic regimes in the Low Countries and France, and so fled to Britain. I believe some Huguenots who quit France for the Low Countries - mistakenly thinking they would be safe there - then had to flee again because of persecution from the Spanish rulers. For the Flemings Norfolk was the nearest part of Britain to reach.

[quote user="Ncfc123"]Interesting to hear that Norwich was once a centre of immigration.[/quote]

Don''t forget the Vikings!

[quote user="WEEN_NASTY"]

Interesting to note that Ipswich got their badge from a comptetion in 1972. That''s a bit sad!

What does a carthorse imbue? Slow and does sh!t?

[/quote]

Not sure but I think it''s something to do with the Suffolk Punch, they believe the team packs a good punch as well, although I''ve never seen any evidence of it.

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="The Pinkun Role Model"][quote user="curnster"]Binners comes from Lovejoy I believe?[/quote]

We need a little more information for the full 10 pts.[:)]
[/quote]

I stumbled across this the other week.Look out for Warren Clarke about 1.50 in.

http://youtu.be/JqgKngZ7zwM

[/quote]

Brilliant seeing that again after so many years - really encapsulates the real Binner quality of our friends down the road!  [:D]